First Prev
of 2
Next Last
nicole b f

Wheeling, WV

#1 Jul 24, 2008
i used to like in chardon and i was just browsing. i cannot even tell you how much this picture makes me want to get in the car and drive home. i can remember the movie theater that would be right behind the photographer and my boyfriends house on tilden ave. its such a nice place to live i miss the maple fest and well just chardon in general. i will be home one of these days!! thank you for posting the picture. a little bittersweet!!!
Steven

Cleveland, OH

#2 Aug 12, 2008
I feel the same way about Chardon, I left town for about 12 years and moved back 16 years ago and I hav'ent missed a high school football game since. Geauga TV has a 24/7 web cam so you can see multiple pictures of the square. There address is: http://www.geaugatv.org/cam.html....Enjoy
lotsa memories

Lucerne Valley, CA

#3 Aug 29, 2008
Moved away 35 years ago and never looked back, although I loved the Maple Festival, the movie theater and I think it was "Riccards" bakery, they made the best lady fingers! Would like to see a pic of old Chardon High though, and the old Green Lantern if anyone has any.
Steveb

Cleveland, OH

#4 Aug 31, 2008
I will get pictures of the High School, They built a new 1 million dollar football stadium. The green lantern is gone. I barely can remember where it use to be.

Since: Feb 08

NW Pa

#5 Sep 8, 2008
Rickard's bakery is gone now. Louie retired. The movie theater is closed up and turned into some kind of stage theater. Richard's Maple Products is still in business. I helped tear down the Green Lantern back several years ago. I wish the B&O Railroad was still in Chardon - wish they would put it back in - right through the middle of Burger King! I hear Landmark (now Western Reserve Farm Coop) is moving to a new location. Remember Conley's? I used to love shopping there.

Chardon and the area got filled up with yuppies and urban sprawl, which ruined it. Too much traffic, too many people and houses, and too much government. Land prices got too high for the local people to afford it. So, I moved to NW Pennsylvania to an area that is pretty much exactly like Chardon was 40 years ago. I get back there now and then.

“Hemp for building materials”

Since: Sep 08

Hampstead

#6 Sep 17, 2008
I used to live in Montville then Thompson late sixties to 1980 when I graduated high school. I remember Conley's and of course the Maple Festival. When I was quite young there was a department store called Big Wheel. And maybe Grants before that. And that place where we could buy fresh apple cider.(searches dim recesses of mind)a shopping center that had Bostwick's hardware? a little greasy spoon located in same shopping center. Beside the theater was a bookstore called Between the Covers and that was placed next to the family planning center. There was an Oldsmobile dealer down by Conley's and oh that hill in the winter driving stick-shift.
mike

Madison, OH

#7 Oct 26, 2008
I live in Huntsburg just southeast of Chardon. One comment. What are they doing o McDonold's? It was so pretty when it was red brick then some idiots got together and said it had to be painted red and yellow and white. It was hideous. A terrible and gaudy change. Whatever they are doing to MdD's I hope they are in line with the architecture of the city and not with the circus.
Kat

Willoughby, OH

#8 Oct 28, 2008
I remember the Big Wheel...lol. Love the maple festival also

Hampstead

#9 Nov 1, 2008
Kat wrote:
I remember the Big Wheel...lol. Love the maple festival also
What's a bit creepy are my dreams traveling back there and I wonder if they're out-of-body's or if I'm just having dreams. The landscape in my dreams is different but there isn't any way to check. So I'll just pretend I'm cool and am having Out-of-body-experiences.

NW Pa

#10 Nov 13, 2008
legalize Industrial Hemp wrote:
<quoted text>What's a bit creepy are my dreams traveling back there and I wonder if they're out-of-body's or if I'm just having dreams. The landscape in my dreams is different but there isn't any way to check. So I'll just pretend I'm cool and am having Out-of-body-experiences.
Sounds like someone's been smoking some of that industrial hemp!

Hampstead

#11 Nov 13, 2008
No thanks! don't want to get sick. My dreams don't need any enhancements, either.
HtopErep22

Willoughby, OH

#12 Nov 30, 2008
Alan 0007 wrote:
The movie theater is closed up and turned into some kind of stage theater.
Not true, they play recently released movies whenever a play isn't going on. All during the summer there were movies every weekend. They sell candy and everything. Maybe not exactly a hip movie theater but its something to do.
Alan 0007 wrote:
Chardon and the area got filled up with yuppies and urban sprawl, which ruined it. Too much traffic, too many people and houses, and too much government. Land prices got too high for the local people to afford it. So, I moved to NW Pennsylvania to an area that is pretty much exactly like Chardon was 40 years ago. I get back there now and then.
I dunno about that, I just moved here a year ago and its definitely better than Mentor or even Concord in Lake County. Maybe where you live now is quieter but Chardon is still a good place. Sweets Treats N More just closed though, that was definitely sad.
About CHS, I go there and its a really good school, although the building is definitely really old. I wish they had spent the money for the nice football field on the school. But whatever.
HtopErep22

Willoughby, OH

#13 Nov 30, 2008
mike wrote:
I live in Huntsburg just southeast of Chardon. One comment. What are they doing o McDonold's? It was so pretty when it was red brick then some idiots got together and said it had to be painted red and yellow and white. It was hideous. A terrible and gaudy change. Whatever they are doing to MdD's I hope they are in line with the architecture of the city and not with the circus.
It looks much nicer inside though, and they are going to offer many new drinks. I sort of wish it was gone anyways, but hey. They're doing that to a lot of McDonalds trying to update the corporate image.

Hampstead

#14 Nov 30, 2008
Was there a restaurant named "The Green Lantern". Old as I am I don't know where I am remembering things from... any help would be appreciated.

NW Pa

#15 Dec 8, 2008
HtopErep22 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true, they play recently released movies whenever a play isn't going on. All during the summer there were movies every weekend. They sell candy and everything. Maybe not exactly a hip movie theater but its something to do.
<quoted text>
I dunno about that, I just moved here a year ago and its definitely better than Mentor or even Concord in Lake County. Maybe where you live now is quieter but Chardon is still a good place. Sweets Treats N More just closed though, that was definitely sad.
About CHS, I go there and its a really good school, although the building is definitely really old. I wish they had spent the money for the nice football field on the school. But whatever.
I'm glad they are still running movies at the theater. I did not know they did. I went to the old Geauga Cinema dozens of times over the years - they had the nice old big screen - not like the multi-ones that have little screens.

My mom was born in Chardon Township and I grew up in Concord Township before moving to PA. There are still nice places in Concord and Chardon, but housing developments have taken over and ruined much of the area.

NW Pa

#16 Dec 8, 2008
legalize Industrial Hemp wrote:
Was there a restaurant named "The Green Lantern". Old as I am I don't know where I am remembering things from... any help would be appreciated.
Yes, the Green Lantern was across Rt 44 from the new post office. I helped tear it down sometime back in the late 80s or early 90s - not sure what year exactly.

Hampstead

#17 Dec 9, 2008
Thank you, Alan0007. I had the right area. That's good. It has been a long time since I'd been up there. I grew up in the general area but left in mid 80's. Last time I visited was in 2001 and managed to get lost trying to get out of Cleveland and again trying to get back to the airport. UGH!
Mary Alice

United States

#18 Mar 21, 2009
I am looking for the recipe for the hot cross buns at Rickard's --- any ideas???? I have searched numerous stores and they all have the icing on top, not sugar cross.
Alan 0007 wrote:
Rickard's bakery is gone now. Louie retired. The movie theater is closed up and turned into some kind of stage theater. Richard's Maple Products is still in business. I helped tear down the Green Lantern back several years ago. I wish the B&O Railroad was still in Chardon - wish they would put it back in - right through the middle of Burger King! I hear Landmark (now Western Reserve Farm Coop) is moving to a new location. Remember Conley's? I used to love shopping there.

NW Pa

#19 Mar 26, 2009
Mary Alice wrote:
I am looking for the recipe for the hot cross buns at Rickard's --- any ideas???? I have searched numerous stores and they all have the icing on top, not sugar cross.
<quoted text>
I don't know the answer, but why don't you call the Rickard family and see if they have it? Good luck.
somerman

Elizabethtown, KY

#20 Mar 31, 2009
Does anyone have a pic of the old circle in Burton, I would like to see it if you do

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chardon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Mentor, OH (Jul '10) Dec 11 Brian_G 27
How Many Got Kilt in the School Shootout (Feb '12) Nov '14 Redneck 16
Dustin Wilkinson come out of the closet Nov '14 Dong 2
Cody Wayne Huelsman (Dec '13) Nov '14 ank 3
Maggie simcic (May '14) Oct '14 Dustin 3
Escaped school shooter TJ Lane had 'Highest lev... Sep '14 car mat 1
TJ Lane with boyfriend? Sep '14 watchman 1
Chardon Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web