CVH Patient's Hearing For Requested Leave Or Release Is Postponed

Full story: Hartford Courant

The request for a postponement came from Messenger, his lawyer and Connecticut Valley Hospital in Middletown , where Messenger was committed in 2001 for a period of 20 years.
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Jul 21, 2009
Randy R

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2008

Judged:

When I read these articles I feel ashamed of being associated with that unit before retiring. The Unit Director and her rubber stamping treatment team desire in nothing more then their discharge statistics. Shame on the Treatment team,CVH and the Review Board for pushing this murderer onto society. They seem to have forgotten that a little boy watched his mom and unborn sibling murdered before his young eyes. Let David do his 20 years or at least wait til the witness of this horrible murder is out of his teens
Jenny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

He hasn't shown signs of remorse. What is his actual mental illness? Is he a sociopath? I want to know a lot more about him before he does anything without a 24/7 supervision.
Gordon Charles Williamson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2008

This is my plea to the "sanity" commission.

My sister Heather Williamson was brutally murdered by David Messenger to who she happened to be married to. Apparently nobody questions this fact or the fact that she was pregnant at the time. What some of you may not consider while you are meeting to discuss Messenger’s potential releases from his “hospital” is that he also killed our father. Until my dying day I will never forget our father’s voice when he phoned me from the morgue in Connecticut and described “what this animal did to her face” when he beat her to death. Our father never recovered from this trauma and two and a half years after Heather was killed he was dead from cancer.

My little sister Hannah and I aren’t as strong as our big brother and our Mother as we are having a harder time healing. Dan of course has to be stronger as he is faced with the challenge of raising Heather’s son Dane who witnessed his Mother’s murder, and try and help him grow up “normal”. Using that word I ask you,“What is normal?” Is it normal that a person can be truly “not guilty by reason of insanity?” And now that “he’s forgiven himself for doing what he did” he’s sane enough to be considered for any sort of release and this is normal?

My experiences with Messenger were always uncomfortable. I did not trust him but never did I think that he’d do such a thing as kill my sister. How can anyone consider letting him be released back into society? There has to be some sort of justice in this world and I pledge to you that if he is released from his “incarceration” there will never be justice in this world. If he is released there is a chance that this could destroy other lives including my own. I do not believe I would be strong enough to deal with the fact that he murdered Heather and was never punished. I beg of you please –do not release Dave Messenger from incarceration. Ever.

I just spent time with my Mother and Dane and I swear if this "person" gets out because "he's forgiven himself for the act and now is at peace with it" then it will kill my Mother.
Danielle

Stafford Springs, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2008

I lived only minutes from the Messengers and I'm personally shocked that David Messenger might be released from psychiatric custody.

It's clearly stated that there would be restrictions, and that violations of these restrictions will result in him being reinstated. However, this is a psychiatric patient with a history of extreme violence and I don't think it would be safe to give second chances in this case. What if he was released and ended up violating his restrictions in a dangerous way?

Enough people have been hurt by David Messenger's actions and I know that the community of Chaplin will never be the same. Temporary or permanent leave -- it's far too risky to allow the possibility of a similar situation.
ricbee

Shelton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2008

He should be a fun guy to meet in a dark alley.
ricbee

Shelton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2008

Jenny wrote:
He hasn't shown signs of remorse. What is his actual mental illness? Is he a sociopath? I want to know a lot more about him before he does anything without a 24/7 supervision.
You are so mean. Let's just give him a pocket full of pills to take everyday & let him wander the streets from library to shelter.
aholeshaveopinio ns

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2008

The unit director is not even a women, dude. I guess it's been a while since you worked there.
And also, Messenger hasn't gotten this far with the support of his providers. He's almost getting out because he has fought his way through the system.
Randy R wrote:
When I read these articles I feel ashamed of being associated with that unit before retiring. The Unit Director and her rubber stamping treatment team desire in nothing more then their discharge statistics. Shame on the Treatment team,CVH and the Review Board for pushing this murderer onto society. They seem to have forgotten that a little boy watched his mom and unborn sibling murdered before his young eyes. Let David do his 20 years or at least wait til the witness of this horrible murder is out of his teens
aholeshaveopinio ns

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2008

I think he is extremely selfish to even try to do what he is doing.
Larry the Cable Guy

East Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2008

This KILLER should be locked up FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE .... I am amazed that this is even an issue .... if he is so "rehabilitated" let him go live with his lawyer ..... let's see how safe he is then ....
Taz

Derby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2009

The thing people seem to forget is, if he had been found guilty he could be coming up for release from prison as not everyone receives life sentences. Would you still be giving him this much grief. I think the family needs some serious mental health education and counseling if you still don't understand some 11 years later. Let the PSRB do it's job, it does work and there are several people in the community and reunited with family that have similiar or the exact same issues as Mr. Messenger. Is this 2009 or 1969? We need to grow with the times.
disgusted

Andover, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2009

In 1998 I was at the CT Lottery Corp when a co-worker brutally murdered 4 of my bosses. In 1999 I was stabbed in the back, at Suffield Public Library, unprovoked, by a delusional psychotic schizo, and never received any kind of compensation, excepting my own eventual spiritual transcendence of my anger, rage, and distress. Violence is pandemic, and this Messenger creep, gives me the creeps - in no way should he be granted leave from ANY psych facility. These bullshit doctors just pump them with meds, and never bring them directly into the original trauma that has generated the intense rage that causes them to act out on their hostile impulses. It's fucking bullshit, and the doctors are the ones who should be medicated for playing their cheap little psychiatric games, without really bringing about any substantive healing in the patient in question - keep messenger locked up.
Kim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2009

Taz wrote:
The thing people seem to forget is, if he had been found guilty he could be coming up for release from prison as not everyone receives life sentences. Would you still be giving him this much grief.
Absolutely, people would STILL be giving him grief. What he did was murder, in cold blood, his wife and unborn child. I bet you would sing a different tune if he would be relocated next to your home and your family and loved ones. Forgiveness does not exist for someone like this, regardless of the reason behind why they did it.
margaret

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2009

Judged:

Taz wrote:
The thing people seem to forget is, if he had been found guilty he could be coming up for release from prison as not everyone receives life sentences. Would you still be giving him this much grief. I think the family needs some serious mental health education and counseling if you still don't understand some 11 years later. Let the PSRB do it's job, it does work and there are several people in the community and reunited with family that have similiar or the exact same issues as Mr. Messenger. Is this 2009 or 1969? We need to grow with the times.
I worked with the DMHAS agency for a period of time and the PSRB clients. I can attest to the fact that at this point we need to reassess clients rights vs public safety. I do not believe he should be released back to population, prison maybe to fulfill his obligation of punishment for the sentence he laid on the messengers is never ending. Why should his be any different. Leave him there FOREVER!!!!

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2009

margaret wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked with the DMHAS agency for a period of time and the PSRB clients. I can attest to the fact that at this point we need to reassess clients rights vs public safety. I do not believe he should be released back to population, prison maybe to fulfill his obligation of punishment for the sentence he laid on the messengers is never ending. Why should his be any different. Leave him there FOREVER!!!!
Bravo!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chaplin Discussions

Search the Chaplin Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who was W.B Sweeny school's principal? (Jul '09) Jul 22 Bob Saget 3
DCF Vs. Parents: Unfair Tactics? -- Courant.com (Jul '07) Jul 19 mommy of 5 221
Backyard Chickens: More Connecticut Residents R... (Jul '10) Jul 16 Homesteader 7
Anthony P. Alvino, 19, of Lindenhurst, N.Y., wa... (Jun '08) Jul 14 FSUplayesuxdixs 37
Willimantic Man Arraigned On Manslaughter Charge (Aug '09) Jul 13 awildarios g mom 13
Schools to Offer Students More Help Jul 13 humanSpirit 4
Gonorrhea treatable in one shot dose (Jul '10) Jul 12 angelo 6
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chaplin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chaplin People Search