Mansfield Native

Seymour, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2012

Well...I guess...although Wendy O. Williams only retired there songless until her self-exiting of this planet Earth. I used to see her at the Willi Food Coop sometimes.

How about others with more claim to Mansfield/Storrs like Rivers Cuomo of Weezer or freakin' Peter Tork!

Come on, The Monkees, my friend!! I am not being sarcastic. Many years ago I saw Peter Tork at New London SailFest and he was great! Played acoustic guitar & banjo, lots of great self-penned stuff and a healthy dose of Grateful Dead as well.

These are musicians that are NOT done making music and from the Storrs area. Rumour has it Peter STILL lives there.

And that's not even broaching the long-gone but nonetheless illustrious and never-to-be-equaled Shaboo Inn, legendary first American venue of some unknown English trio named The Police where they played to a crowd of 10's (IOW the place was empty)...where Aerosmith played "Dream On" LIVE FOR THE FIRST TIME!

Then there is David "Lefty" Foster, still based there and still gigs there quite often, even while playing for all the High Rollers down the road with his band the Mohegan Sun All-Stars.

A partial list of musicians who have played under the Water Tower in Storrs includes-

JOE COCKER, ERIC BURDON, DR.JOHN, DAVID CROSBY, ELVIN BISHOP (Juke Joint Jump is written about The Shaboo!), TODD RUNDGREN, AC/DC, THE POLICE, ELVIS COSTELLO, JOURNEY, HALL & OATES, MICHAEL BOLOTIN (MICHAEL BOLTON), DIRE STRAITS, ROBERT PALMER, JOE PERRY PROJECT, LITTLE FEAT, QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE, BOB WEIR & KINGFISH, LOU REED, TOM PETTY, CHEAP TRICK, WISHBONE ASH, JACK BRUCE, AEROSMITH, NILS LOFGREN, BONNIE RAITT, JAMES MONTGOMERY BAND, JAMES COTTON BAND, N.R.B.Q., FABULOUS RHINESTONES, JONATHAN EDWARDS, ROOMFUL OF BLUES, ORLEANS, SHABOO ALL-STARS, AZTEC TWO-STEP, B.B KING, MUDDY WATERS, FREDDY KING, BUDDY GUY & JUNIOR WELLS, JOHN MAYALL, TAJ MAHAL, SONNY TERRY & BROWNIE McGEE, LONNIE MACK, PAPA JOHN CREACH, J.B. HUTTO, HOUND DOG TAYLOR, JOHNNY WINTER, ROGER MCGUINN, HUMBLE PIE, NICK LOWE, RICK DERRINGER, RORY GALLAGHER, ANDY PRATT, THE JAGS, CANNED HEAT, PAT TRAVERS, NEW RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE, CHARLIE DANIELS, PURE PRARIE LEAGUE, LES DUDEK, COMMANDER CODY, GRINDERSWITCH, CLIMAX BLUES BAND, DIXIE DREGS, COUNT BASIE ORCHESTRA, BUDDY RICH BIG BAND, MILES DAVIS, MANHATTAN TRANSFER, BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS, TOWER OF POWER, WEATHER REPORT, SPYRO GYRA, JEAN LUC PONTY, JOHN MCLAUGHLIN, BRIAN AUGER'S OBLIVION EXPRESS, JUNIOR WALKER AND THE ALL-STARS, ARLO GUTHRIE, DAVID BROMBERG, TOM WAITS, RICHIE HAVENS, JESSE COLIN YOUNG, LAURA NYRO, LIVINGSTON TAYLOR, LEONARD COHEN, IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY, EARL SCRUGGS, KENNY RANKIN, JANIS IAN, EMMY LOU HARRIS, DOC WATSON, LEON REDBONE, IGGY POP, TALKING HEADS, TELEVISION, THE CARS, AVALANCHE, EIGHT TO THE BAR, OASIS, PILGRIM, SOUTHPAW, ARIZONA MAID, ZYCHECK BROTHERS, FOUNTAINHEAD, B.WILLIE SMITH, TIREBITER, GREY CONTROVERSY, LITTLE VILLAGE, MAX CREEK, BLUE ROOSTER, POUSETTE-DART BAND, DUKE AND THE DRIVERS, ELLEN McELWANE, NATIONAL LAMPOON COMEDY TRAVELING ROAD SHOW, MARTIN MULL, FLO & EDDIE, BEACH BOY DENNIS WILSON, PETER TORK, SUZI QUATRO, ROBERT HUNTER, MO UDALL, BLUSHING BRIDES, ROOT BOY SLIM & THE SEX CHANGE BAND...

...there's yer Storrs Jukebox! AMEN!!!!

“The Sun Always Shines On TV”

Since: Nov 11

Kee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

Mansfield Native wrote:
Well...I guess...although Wendy O. Williams only retired there songless until her self-exiting of this planet Earth. I used to see her at the Willi Food Coop sometimes.
How about others with more claim to Mansfield/Storrs like Rivers Cuomo of Weezer or freakin' Peter Tork!
Come on, The Monkees, my friend!! I am not being sarcastic. Many years ago I saw Peter Tork at New London SailFest and he was great! Played acoustic guitar & banjo, lots of great self-penned stuff and a healthy dose of Grateful Dead as well.
These are musicians that are NOT done making music and from the Storrs area. Rumour has it Peter STILL lives there.
And that's not even broaching the long-gone but nonetheless illustrious and never-to-be-equaled Shaboo Inn, legendary first American venue of some unknown English trio named The Police where they played to a crowd of 10's (IOW the place was empty)...where Aerosmith played "Dream On" LIVE FOR THE FIRST TIME!
Then there is David "Lefty" Foster, still based there and still gigs there quite often, even while playing for all the High Rollers down the road with his band the Mohegan Sun All-Stars.
A partial list of musicians who have played under the Water Tower in Storrs includes-
JOE COCKER, ERIC BURDON, DR.JOHN, DAVID CROSBY, ELVIN BISHOP (Juke Joint Jump is written about The Shaboo!), TODD RUNDGREN, AC/DC, THE POLICE, ELVIS COSTELLO, JOURNEY, HALL & OATES, MICHAEL BOLOTIN (MICHAEL BOLTON), DIRE STRAITS, ROBERT PALMER, JOE PERRY PROJECT, LITTLE FEAT, QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE, BOB WEIR & KINGFISH, LOU REED, TOM PETTY, CHEAP TRICK, WISHBONE ASH, JACK BRUCE, AEROSMITH, NILS LOFGREN, BONNIE RAITT, JAMES MONTGOMERY BAND, JAMES COTTON BAND, N.R.B.Q., FABULOUS RHINESTONES, JONATHAN EDWARDS, ROOMFUL OF BLUES, ORLEANS, SHABOO ALL-STARS, AZTEC TWO-STEP, B.B KING, MUDDY WATERS, FREDDY KING, BUDDY GUY & JUNIOR WELLS, JOHN MAYALL, TAJ MAHAL, SONNY TERRY & BROWNIE McGEE, LONNIE MACK, PAPA JOHN CREACH, J.B. HUTTO, HOUND DOG TAYLOR, JOHNNY WINTER, ROGER MCGUINN, HUMBLE PIE, NICK LOWE, RICK DERRINGER, RORY GALLAGHER, ANDY PRATT, THE JAGS, CANNED HEAT, PAT TRAVERS, NEW RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE, CHARLIE DANIELS, PURE PRARIE LEAGUE, LES DUDEK, COMMANDER CODY, GRINDERSWITCH, CLIMAX BLUES BAND, DIXIE DREGS, COUNT BASIE ORCHESTRA, BUDDY RICH BIG BAND, MILES DAVIS, MANHATTAN TRANSFER, BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS, TOWER OF POWER, WEATHER REPORT, SPYRO GYRA, JEAN LUC PONTY, JOHN MCLAUGHLIN, BRIAN AUGER'S OBLIVION EXPRESS, JUNIOR WALKER AND THE ALL-STARS, ARLO GUTHRIE, DAVID BROMBERG, TOM WAITS, RICHIE HAVENS, JESSE COLIN YOUNG, LAURA NYRO, LIVINGSTON TAYLOR, LEONARD COHEN, IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY, EARL SCRUGGS, KENNY RANKIN, JANIS IAN, EMMY LOU HARRIS, DOC WATSON, LEON REDBONE, IGGY POP, TALKING HEADS, TELEVISION, THE CARS, AVALANCHE, EIGHT TO THE BAR, OASIS, PILGRIM, SOUTHPAW, ARIZONA MAID, ZYCHECK BROTHERS, FOUNTAINHEAD, B.WILLIE SMITH, TIREBITER, GREY CONTROVERSY, LITTLE VILLAGE, MAX CREEK, BLUE ROOSTER, POUSETTE-DART BAND, DUKE AND THE DRIVERS, ELLEN McELWANE, NATIONAL LAMPOON COMEDY TRAVELING ROAD SHOW, MARTIN MULL, FLO & EDDIE, BEACH BOY DENNIS WILSON, PETER TORK, SUZI QUATRO, ROBERT HUNTER, MO UDALL, BLUSHING BRIDES, ROOT BOY SLIM & THE SEX CHANGE BAND...
...there's yer Storrs Jukebox! AMEN!!!!
Thank you for your imput, and point well taken! You're very fortunate to have seen so very many fine acts. That list you compiled is very varied, and I dig that!

Kee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

http://youtu.be/jGLWyrX06NY "Synchronicity II" The Police
MTV

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Musikologist wrote:
http://youtu.be/jGLWyrX06NY "Synchronicity II" The Police
TY please post more video jukebox

Kee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

http://youtu.be/DD78rGQx2oE "Another Tricky Day" The Who
Rachel

Southington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Elvin Bishop "Juke Joint Jump"

Picture this - you've driven 45 minutes down these twisty, hilly state highways past the glow-in-the-dark Smokey the Bear (if you've been there, you know what I mean) drinkin' a beer or three while smokin' a twisty-wait, didn't I say that already?

Finally onto good old U.S. Route 6 (the same U.S. Route that used to run from the very tip of Cape Cod AKA Provincetown, MA stickin' way out there in the Atlantic Ocean all the way across the country to the freakin' Pacific Shore (until California screwed up the maps forevermore by terminating Route Six at it's border) until you know yer gettin' close because of the 1/2-mile-long stretch of Interstate-type Divided Highway out in the Middle of Nowhere (again, if you've been there...)

Suddenly on the right is that green street sign "Conantville Road" so you turn and start following an even-twistier little back road until there is a stop sign...damn, do we go straight or turn left onto this even-smaller side lane??

Good luck choosing if the night is young but if you're getting there after 9PM just turn off the car engine and listen...off to the left through the woods...SHABOO! So turn onto that tiny lane and prepare to ROCK 'N' ROLL!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Don't be fooled by the picture of the little ol' roadside barbeque beer garden in the video - just listen to the lyrics as Elvin Bishop sings

There's a jumpin' little juke joint
way out in the sticks
half a mile down a dirt road
offa Highway Six.
Ain't near no town,
ain't close to no city -
those folks get down
til it's a doggone pity!
Ol' Bishop's's band
playing that low down funk.
Man you oughta see that little ol'
juke joint jump, jump, jump!!
Mansfield Native

Seymour, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Musikologist wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for your imput, and point well taken! You're very fortunate to have seen so very many fine acts. That list you compiled is very varied, and I dig that!
I'm very sorry, Musikologist, to have given the impression I had been to this entire list of musicians. Truth is, I was present at only a small fraction of these acts although there may have been others as well, long forgotten as a result of alchohol-fogged memory and time. Indeed, the Shaboo itself is a victim of time, having burned to the ground 30 years ago (1982) and lives on in name only although holding a legendary position in musical history of the New England (and particularly, of course, Connecticut) area.

There have been efforts to keep the name alive including a short-lived attempt to establish some sort of Shaboo II in New Haven, CT. as well as a series of benefit concerts for the local Willimantic/Mansfield hospital (attended by some of the Shaboo's original founders and musical acts) but there will never be another juke-joint-jumpin' place like the Shaboo Inn!!
Not Available in Storrs

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Rachel wrote:
SHABOO!!
Shaboo may be gone but the Storrs Jukebox remains!!

Kee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

http://youtu.be/StFfXP4eAgU

"Unwell"

Matchbox Twenty

Kee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Their finest hour....

http://youtu.be/MO0l36nEvCc

"30 Days In The Hole"

Humble Pie

Kee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

True story....

http://youtu.be/Hx5SgxOd6_U

"Monterey"

Eric Burdon & The Animals
Big Al Anderson

Bristol, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Thanx, Big M, but I don't think MB20 or EB&TA ever played the Shaboo...while they was a-rockin' under the water tower for a l-o-n-g time, Matchbox Twenty was a decade too late and Eric Burden (with the Animals, at least...maybe he coulda showed up with WAR...) a decade too early.
Big Al Anderson

Bristol, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

No, I'm not the Big Al who DID play there, but Monterey is indeed a True Story just as EB&TA told it in one of their last (American) hits before dis-banding! Sure would like to hear that Grateful Dead set...oh, wait, here it is!!

http://archive.org/details/gd67-06-18.sbd.man...

Kee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Big Al Anderson wrote:
No, I'm not the Big Al who DID play there, but Monterey is indeed a True Story just as EB&TA told it in one of their last (American) hits before dis-banding! Sure would like to hear that Grateful Dead set...oh, wait, here it is!!
http://archive.org/details/gd67-06-18.sbd.man...
Personally, I think "Monterey" is the finest work EB&TA ever did.

Thanks for the links also.

Kee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

http://youtu.be/dcYe3qbVI8U

"Drinkin' On The Weekend"

Big Al Anderson & The Balls

Kee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2014

http://youtu.be/eZWLBfNcUCw

"The Lady Is A Tramp"

Della Reese
Shaboo LIVE

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2014

While there are a couple of unofficial "live" albums recorded at The Shaboo (Miles Davis - Jan. 26, 1974, for one, as well as J. B. Hutto & The New Hawks from 1979) THIS is a complete Early Show/Late Show combo of Tom Waits appearance Under the Water Tower in Storrs on Nov. 9, 1976 featuring Mr. Waits in full Heart of Saturday Night/Nighthawks at the Diner mode...my favourite period of his...

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/tom-wai...

His remarks concerning the exotic locale (the nearby once-small-but-now-huge East Brook Mall) are hilarious. "I love this little shopping center down here. We got in here early just so I could hang around there, heh-heh".

Note-EBM is NOT huge but has indeed grown enough that its parking lot has completely engulfed the former Shaboo property. Actually, the parking lot is about 50 FEET below where The Shaboo once stood, as earth movers obliterated the hillside to create a flat lot for paving :(

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/tom-wai...

700MB Sound Board recording/FLAC format

Kee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2014

http://youtu.be/gSBvm73jhw4

"Go Tell John"

The Rarely Herd

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chaplin Discussions

Search the Chaplin Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Anthony P. Alvino, 19, of Lindenhurst, N.Y., wa... (Jun '08) Jul 6 FSC player 36
Schools to Offer Students More Help Jun 24 humanSpirit 3
Best Towns for CT Teens Cluster in Northeast Jun 17 lemmings 1
G Gmurder Jun '14 awildaRios 1
Willimantic Man Arraigned On Manslaughter Charge (Aug '09) Jun '14 awildaRios 12
Preston man charged with DUI after police pursu... May '14 Legally DUMB 1
Memorable Nights At The Shaboo -- Courant.com (Aug '07) May '14 stephanie 141
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chaplin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chaplin People Search