Edwards' Life in Exile

Jun 20, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TheDailyBeast.com

In John Edwards' hometown, residents are disgusted by the fallen former presidential candidate's cheating on Elizabeth Edwards.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of53
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 09

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2011

flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>He has some shady financial dealings of his own in the past and was censured for it.
Not really. The Democrats threw 84 ethics charges against him and all of them were dismissed except for one involving "tax improprieties" where he was "reprimanded" and had to pay about $300,000 to cover the costs of the investigation. The full panel didn't agree that he'd done anything wrong and neither did the IRS.

“The trolls hate this guy”

Since: Jul 09

In the heads of trolls

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2011

Jeff DeWitt wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. The Democrats threw 84 ethics charges against him and all of them were dismissed except for one involving "tax improprieties" where he was "reprimanded" and had to pay about $300,000 to cover the costs of the investigation. The full panel didn't agree that he'd done anything wrong and neither did the IRS.
That is pathetic excuse making for somebody who used a tax exempt foundations funds for partisan political activity. Even members of his own party agreed his financial dealings were shady. His morals are no better than John Edwards (and no worse either). Both are disgustingly sleezy. Even if 83 of 84 charges were dismissed, the one that stuck was a serious one. It may be noted that there was a Republican majority voting on the charges.

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2011

flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>That is pathetic excuse making for somebody who used a tax exempt foundations funds for partisan political activity. Even members of his own party agreed his financial dealings were shady. His morals are no better than John Edwards (and no worse either). Both are disgustingly sleezy. Even if 83 of 84 charges were dismissed, the one that stuck was a serious one. It may be noted that there was a Republican majority voting on the charges.
Except it didn't really stick. It was more like if you or I got a speeding ticket (and may or may not have been guilty) and got a lawyer to get it reduced so all we had to pay was court costs and not admit guilt.

Look, don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a big fan of Gingrich, yes the man has a zipper problem and it caused real problems when he was speaker. He's no paragon of virtue, but he's not as bad as that sleazy liar... er lawyer from Chapel Hill.

But... I'd LOVE to see him debate Obama, that would be a LOT of fun to watch!(and would not go at all well for Obama)

In the heads of trolls

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2011

Jeff DeWitt wrote:
<quoted text>
Except it didn't really stick. It was more like if you or I got a speeding ticket (and may or may not have been guilty) and got a lawyer to get it reduced so all we had to pay was court costs and not admit guilt.
Look, don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a big fan of Gingrich, yes the man has a zipper problem and it caused real problems when he was speaker. He's no paragon of virtue, but he's not as bad as that sleazy liar... er lawyer from Chapel Hill.
But... I'd LOVE to see him debate Obama, that would be a LOT of fun to watch!(and would not go at all well for Obama)
If you are not such a fan of him, thaen why are you going out of your way to defend that two bit philanderer. The guy is also a hypocrite. He was guilty all right on the charge that stuck and many of them that didn't were summarily dismissed because of his political allies outnumbering his political opponents. The Republicans had to agree on the one that stuck as it was very clear cut and the American people would have easily seen it as a whitewash with possible consequences to House members in the next election.

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2011

flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>If you are not such a fan of him, thaen why are you going out of your way to defend that two bit philanderer. The guy is also a hypocrite. He was guilty all right on the charge that stuck and many of them that didn't were summarily dismissed because of his political allies outnumbering his political opponents. The Republicans had to agree on the one that stuck as it was very clear cut and the American people would have easily seen it as a whitewash with possible consequences to House members in the next election.
Except none of that is true. Even the charge that "stuck" wasn't anything like a conviction, it's like going to court and having the judge dismiss the charge but still make you pay court costs.

There was nothing "clear cut" about it, the Democrats were just throwing every charge they could think of at him to try to make him look dirty.

In the heads of trolls

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2011

Jeff DeWitt wrote:
<quoted text>
Except none of that is true. Even the charge that "stuck" wasn't anything like a conviction, it's like going to court and having the judge dismiss the charge but still make you pay court costs.
There was nothing "clear cut" about it, the Democrats were just throwing every charge they could think of at him to try to make him look dirty.
He clearly violated House rules and tax laws and was extremely fortunate not to be cited as a lawbreaker. He still a philandering man of questionable ethics. BTW, using any tax exempt foundation for partisan political gain clearly violates IRS rules and that is just what Newt was cited for, regardless of how you spin it.

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2011

flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>He clearly violated House rules and tax laws and was extremely fortunate not to be cited as a lawbreaker. He still a philandering man of questionable ethics. BTW, using any tax exempt foundation for partisan political gain clearly violates IRS rules and that is just what Newt was cited for, regardless of how you spin it.
The IRS didn't agree.

In the heads of trolls

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2011

Jeff DeWitt wrote:
<quoted text>
The IRS didn't agree.
Newt got lucky. It is still wrong for a tax exempt organization to use a tax exempt organization for advancement of political causes. Gingrich certainly did stray into some dark gray areas that could have been ruled either way as there were Republican themes being promoted without actually proving any direct partisan support by the foundation. He did, however, make some less than factual statements to the ethics committee that investigated him.
Rielle Hunter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2011

I got lucky!
Arnold Ziffel

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2011

Come on Jeff. Gingrich is a well known greaseball. Edwards is a greaseball. No comparison made between the two can serve to improve their past actions. Not long ago, you were plugging Herman Cain. What is your take on him now? Bill Clinton was a proven moral degenerate and liar in the Monika Lewinsky affair. Cain would be the same if given a position of power. He could not be trusted. I support none of the underhanded actions of members of any party or political philosopy and both sides are guilty. Therefore, Gingrich is not even a remote consideration for me. He is a slick used car salesman for the conservative cause. Wake up!
Billy

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2011

Big C wrote:
Jaime, what on earth are you jabbering about. this post is about the life of a poon hound, not a politician.
This guy could not get elected dog catcher in NC...I am sorry to all DC out their...I hope the kids don't take after their mother or father...both had no sense of patriotism.
Qwerty

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2011

You reap what you sew...
Larry The Fable Guy

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2011

Too late. Newt already has grandchildren.
Barney Frank

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

Anyone want to play pitch and catch?

“Right to Bear Puns”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Barney Frank wrote:
Anyone want to play pitch and catch?
Frnakly Barney, I'd rather not.

“Right to Bear Puns”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

It should have read: Frankly Barney, I'd rather not.
Mill Workers Son

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Is everyone still laughing at me?

In the heads of trolls

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Mill Workers Son wrote:
Is everyone still laughing at me?
What does his father's occupation have to do with anything? There are many extremely successful people who were brought up in very humble circumstances. Just to answer the question, I am not laughing at Edwards, rather I am saddened to see that a man who had made a success of himself had to stoop to such a low level of behavior.
Mill Workers Son

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>What does his father's occupation have to do with anything? There are many extremely successful people who were brought up in very humble circumstances. Just to answer the question, I am not laughing at Edwards, rather I am saddened to see that a man who had made a success of himself had to stoop to such a low level of behavior.
Just because you were born out of wedlock, just because yo mammy and daddy and yo self could not pay 4 yo education..

make me want to be a mulatto
Johnny Edwards

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Get lost flbadcatowner this is my thread.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of53
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chapel Hill Discussions

Search the Chapel Hill Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 2 min TSF 49,385
COMMENTARY: Should Pastor Apologize for Calling... 9 hr Jumper The Wise 38
Delta MD88 near Raleigh/Durham on Apr 15th 2014... 15 hr Americanjoe 4
Debate: Marijuana - Apex, NC (Jan '11) Thu Marry jane (no joke) 10
Review: Guinea Styles Thu Anonymous 1
Prioritization of Research Addressing Antipsych... Apr 15 NAMIpharma 1
Debate: Marijuana - Chapel Hill, NC (Aug '10) Apr 9 Cristina 19
•••
•••
•••
Chapel Hill Dating

more search filters

less search filters