Chapel Hill transit fees?

Posted in the Chapel Hill Forum

surffish

Chapel Hill, NC

#1 Jan 31, 2012
Chapel Hill transit has been free for about 10 years now. Is what I heard on the bus today true (that fees will be charged starting this summer)?? Does anyone have any information about this? Thanks!
sv Rapacious

Macclesfield, NC

#2 Feb 20, 2012
Not to my knowledge.How ever, it really has never been free, the costs have simply been spread around.The Rural citizens have been co-paying for the schools here. So there is a source of differed funding for the buses.
It would be interesting to see a fee schedule set at a sustainable rat for the line. On where the buses break even....then look at the level of ridership...then translate that to the light rail idea and see what happens.
sv Rapacious

Macclesfield, NC

#3 Feb 20, 2012
just saw the numbers. Operating expense=15.9 million
revenue from fares(on the paying routes 7.2 million. 54% is covered by taxpayers
Seems the should be charging something.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chapel Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Town leaders may loosen downtown development rules Thu Traffic and Parking 1
News Spices of Liberty - Movie Update Apr 23 John Cathy 1
Poll Davonte Fennell is very famous (Apr '08) Apr 16 Barbiegrl 84
Brad Cooper - Fair and Just Trial? WHO MIGHT B... (May '11) Apr 15 ROFLMAO 1,308
When is Chatham Park construction going to begin? Apr 14 Jferrell90211 1
Kentucky basketball best program ever Apr 7 Craig 12
moving to chapel hill Apr 5 TarHeel2Be 1
More from around the web

Chapel Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]