Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#20378 Sep 25, 2012
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
"Start dealing with reality."
you first homo. you first.
So you have no answer to my post? I see. I win yet again.

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Most of the people who live this way in America are Amish. They work together as a village in ways you evidently cannot comprehend.
You do not live like this, you live in a society. Now start coming to terms with this fact please. You do not live in the mountains in total isolation. If you do, then you do not pay taxes. So the issue of government participating in the concept of "it takes a village to raise a child" is moot.
Is it possible to raise a child in total isolation from a village or receive any help from a village? Yes, but it is very, very, very rare. Even the people who live in isolation occasionally come to the village to get help for a few things. Medical needs likely top the list.
Those who live in such isolation surely have a high mortality rate.
I realize it is the conservative dream to live in such barbaric conditions, but the rest of us are not down for that.
You can chose to live off the grid, no one is stopping you. But the reality is, you live in a village. Start dealing with reality.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#20379 Sep 25, 2012
Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
When some kids can barely read on the 3rd grade level, and come to high school after 8 years of home schooling, I can safely use the term "unqualified".
I have a friend who was home schooled. It is quite evident by the facebook posts he makes. He uses very little punctuation, he spells worse than Silver, and does not capitalize when appropriate.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#20380 Sep 25, 2012
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Ever heard of a guy named Tim Teabow?? Never set foot in a public school, went on to play football for the University of Florida Gators and now is a professional football quarterback for the New York Jets.
All because of his village thought it was in their best interest to provide for his opportunities. No, wait. His parents made those choices till he was old enough to be accountable for his own.
That sure some village.
Private school is not homeschooling, stupid. Arnold was addressing homeschooling.
Private school is still of the village.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#20381 Sep 25, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Arnold, apparently your assessment of home schoolers differ from these statistics:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-372425...
Note, all these statistics are for those who move on to college, not all those who do not try.
I am not against homeschooling, but it is clear, many parents are not qualified to the task. For those people, the village helping is offered. Republicans do not want the government helping to offer.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#20382 Sep 25, 2012
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
Too predictable man. That is exactly how it is AZ. Good ol slave mentality. Get your 40 acres and mule boy?
And no, my firm would and already has turned down some high profile individuals and their business. We recommended a firm out of Winston Salem to them as a matter of fact.
Not the clientele the firm wishes to do business with. You can whine all day about civil rights violation you want, but it is up to the parnters of the firm to choose who they do business with, not yours. Have no fear AZ, the fact that you are a teacher automatically indicates you do not have enough money to open up an account or for the firm to be interested in to do business with.
As with most criminals, your firms crimes will catch up to them. They will be caught in their law breaking ways and be shut down.
Clearly you have no respect for the law of the land. You are an admitted criminal.

“Vote”

Since: May 12

Houston

#20383 Sep 25, 2012
Silvercoast is working.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#20384 Sep 25, 2012
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
You are entitled to your opinion. I did not hear or see the part of his motivational speeches you reference. Still does not sway or change my opinion of blacks. Still would not change who and who not my firm does business with.
So you advocate breaking the law?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#20385 Sep 25, 2012
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
Matter of opinion. I have all the wisdom I need.
And their in lies your problem. One should always be trying to learn more. One cannot ever know to much.
Your arrogance is a problem.
TSF

Sims, NC

#20386 Sep 25, 2012
Dear Daughter:
You were born last month personally owing $51,000
on your parents and grandparents national debt. You can attribute $17,000 of that to debt accumulated by Congress during the Obama administration and the other $34,000 was handed to you by Congress during the Bush administration. Most of that money was used to supply tax breaks to the rich and about $6600 was used in useless foreign wars based on lies. Good luck in paying it off because republikans in Congress and their twerp leaders want to destroy public education. That move will insure that you never have a chance to earn more than minimum wage and that your children will also be born in debt.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#20387 Sep 25, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Note, all these statistics are for those who move on to college, not all those who do not try.
I am not against homeschooling, but it is clear, many parents are not qualified to the task. For those people, the village helping is offered. Republicans do not want the government helping to offer.
I posted this the other day and maybe not in the form of a question, so let me put it in questin form. I've been noticing commercials on tv for home schooling provided through the public school system online. It differs very little than traditional home schooling. Why now is public schooling offering home schooling via their curriculum? I haven't researched this new service offered by public school to allow children to do their school work at home, but I will see if there is a clause that states parents need to be tested before allowing children to choose this alternative method of education.
TSF

Sims, NC

#20388 Sep 25, 2012
1. Stop the incessant , insane testing business which subtacts from instructional time and consumes billions of dollars uselessly.
2. Go back to allowing professional teachers to administer their own diagnostic tests as the learning progresses. This allows for recognition of early problems in time to remediate those problem areas. This allows each student to progress with personalized attention..
3. Eliminate more than half of adminstrative positions. Use that money to put teachers into the classrooms where they can help children rather than obstruct those who actually are involved in instruction. This will reduce class size, improve teacher/ student interactional time for learning.
4. Pay the teachers enough that they do not have to get 2nd jobs to support themselves and their family. Give them encouragement and support in their effort to instruct your children. If you have hostility and disrespect toward teachers, you children will also. Since the single most important factor in a child's progress in school depends on his/her personal relationship to the teacher, you damage your own child by projecting animosity toward their teachers.
5. Work to eliminate the mentality that geeks are inferior and that education is unnecessary. You and your children will soon be working for the geeks who have the education. If your child sees that you disrespect knowledege, the child will imitate that and lazily resist the effort of learning.
6. Add instructional time to the school year to match that of other industralized countries.
7. Change the instruction model from mass production-pass/ fail classes to one of progressive learning units allowing each student to progress at his//her own rate and to remediate learning BEFORE it becomes an insurmoutable obstacle for the child and teacher.
8. Track students according to their abilities and intelligence similiar to European schools. That would avoid the boredom of the more intelligent ones and the frustration of the slower learners.
9 Stop the politically correct pretensions, social promotins, ritilin induced stupors and regain discipline control by means necessary.
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
So what is your solution TSF? Empart us with your wisdom and expertise on how we can turn our education system around.
LuLu

Greer, SC

#20390 Sep 25, 2012
Not for nothin, but you asked for it Silver. At least TSF has some, not so bad, ideas.

“Vote”

Houston

#20391 Sep 25, 2012
TSF...those are some really excellent ideas.

“Vote”

Houston

#20392 Sep 25, 2012
TSF a lot of your ideas seem to me to be acceptable to both left and right.

Location hidden

#20393 Sep 25, 2012
TSF, you have many good valid points, but it's not going to happen.
First, the average school teacher is not trained to administer the testing, assess the testing results.
Second, testing involves psychologists, guidance counselors and the teacher(s),and others to come up with an IEP for the student if he/she is deemed to be LD/exceptional.
Third, most parents will not accept their children have a learning disability and the child suffers because there is need for remedial help and other resources that the Department of Education states a child must be offered and should be. This hinders the teacher teaching others that are on grade level.
Fourth, whether we like it or not, there has to be social promotion. There can't be kids 4 years older and a foot taller than his peers in the classroom.
Fifth, as a parent, you know and I know there comes a time when children have little respect for anyone in authority. When children don't respect their parents, normally they don't respect others and this has nothing to do with parents having a disrepect for teachers.
Sixth, I believe from what I read on here, teachers are underpaid and underappreciated.
Seventh, too much emphasis in school nowdays is placed on sports and other extracurricular activities. Schools should emphasize education FIRST and all these other events need to take a backseat to education. To be honest, I don't know of anyone I attended school with that makes a living playing sports.

In conclusion, I don't think a political party has let down the education system, I think we as parents have. We've demanded teachers to educate, raise, coddle, entertain and attempt to punish (and now they can't do that) our children when everything else is our job with the exception of teaching, and supporting the education process.

“Vote”

Houston

#20394 Sep 25, 2012
We still have to try.
TSF

Sims, NC

#20395 Sep 25, 2012
You are so wrong in your belief that teachers are not trained to test in their subject areas. If the trainer cannot evaluate the performance of their students, there is no instrument, test or otherwise that can accomplish the evaluation.
You misunderstand my vision of the education model. Teachers would teach subjects instead of grades. With computers and sequential progressive learning units, there would be students of different ages in the same class getting instruction from instructors who have more than 3 minutes of instructional time per student per day(the present average situation).

There is no one size fits all solution, especially for special needs children. Certainly the sequential progressive learning can apply to those also.
Ms Karen

Chicago, IL

#20397 Sep 25, 2012
My name is Karen Clark from, 25 West Street, Houghton Estate, Johannesburg, I am a happy woman today because i was
able to get an affordable loan from mrs melissa pravo, who transferred
my loan of $95,000.00 into my account within 5 hours. I have settled
my credit card debt, i have cleared all my bills. I thank God for
directing me to this site http://www.topix.com i am very thankful to
almighty Allah for he has answered my prayers to her. Please this is
not a joke, if you want to be happy like me, just contact Melissa
Financial Inc ([email protected]) she is genuine if only
you can meet up with the terms and condition, do not delay, she will
help you, i want every body on this site to believe me and contact her
let her know that Ms Karen Clark. refer you.

Location hidden

#20398 Sep 25, 2012
TSF wrote:
You are so wrong in your belief that teachers are not trained to test in their subject areas. If the trainer cannot evaluate the performance of their students, there is no instrument, test or otherwise that can accomplish the evaluation.
You misunderstand my vision of the education model. Teachers would teach subjects instead of grades. With computers and sequential progressive learning units, there would be students of different ages in the same class getting instruction from instructors who have more than 3 minutes of instructional time per student per day(the present average situation).
There is no one size fits all solution, especially for special needs children. Certainly the sequential progressive learning can apply to those also.
TSF, I might be wrong about if teachers about can test in their area of subject; however, by law and take a close look at I think it's number (7) at the numerous people involved in testing:

http://www2.ed.gov/parents/needs/speced/iepgu...

I was addressing where you were talking about over the top testing and I agree, but whether we agree or not, the government sets the guidelines for testing as shown by the above post. Parent do not always accept that their child just isn't great at school, therefore, there must be a problem and as you said let's ram some Class II drug down their throat and everything is right. However, the child that's doing the best he/she can to stay on grade level may not be able to crunch numbers as you can or have a new way to split the atom but can go outside and take your car engine apart and reassemble it without looking at a book or could be the next great artist in all areas of the arts.

Your children probably took advantage of dual college enrollment. My daughter took college courses while in high school and this actually helped her in the schoolroom and also knocked out some courses early on for college. Of course this applies to kids in high school or back when my daughter did this, you had to have passed sophomore English. Are talking about using this as a premise of children of different ages and grade levels being in a subject specific classroom? If so, I understand. If not, then you're right I don't understand. As I said before, my daughter attended private school and many of these issues I didn't have to deal with.

TSF, you have a lot of great points and seriously, have you thought about running for the school board in your area? Fresh idea as you have could go a long way.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#20399 Sep 25, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
I posted this the other day and maybe not in the form of a question, so let me put it in questin form. I've been noticing commercials on tv for home schooling provided through the public school system online. It differs very little than traditional home schooling. Why now is public schooling offering home schooling via their curriculum? I haven't researched this new service offered by public school to allow children to do their school work at home, but I will see if there is a clause that states parents need to be tested before allowing children to choose this alternative method of education.
I do not know why. Why should I know? Did you have a point?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chapel Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Cary Jan 16 Camilamaza 8
News Video gambling ends in N.C. (Jun '07) Jan 15 DonutJack Van Dunkin 40
sex with midget woman (Mar '15) Jan 8 doodzafag 5
Coach Jan 5 Deputy 3
When A Mid-Century Modern House Isn't Quite Mod... Jan 2 blueplate 1
New website for Food lovers Dec 19 Bob 1
truth about the jews and israel Dec '16 TOMMY AMAZON 1

Chapel Hill Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance