Preacher's son Tim Tyson explores North Carolina's racial...

May 19, 2008 Full story: News Observer 80

About Timothy B. Tyson's "Blood Done Sign My Name" Published: 2004 by Crown Books Copies sold: 140,000 Honors: Southern Book award, 2007 Louisville Grawemeyer Award in Religion and others Movie: Being filmed in ...

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
vickiquilting

Bullock, NC

#1 Jun 30, 2008
the book was eye opening...people involved, should not shut out the happenings, no matter how close to home it is....
blood done lied

Mooresville, NC

#2 Jul 5, 2008
The shooting at the core of this book actually happened. The only people who know exactly how and why are either Teels or dead.

We have only Tim Tyson's word that a lot of the other stuff in the book actually happened, especially some of the conversations. He has people using the 'N' word in situations where there is no way they would have done that.

Blacks kill each other (and they kill a lot of whites as well) for reasons just as ridiculous and tragic as this one. Maybe Tyson's next book will deal with the total breakdown of morality in the black community.
Loopy

Pittsboro, NC

#3 Jul 6, 2008
But, I do think that everyone should read the book.
It has extreme historic value not to mention the descriptions of our history in NC of the move from segregation to integration. Living in the western part of the state, I witnessed violence and curfews during this very difficult time in our lives.

I think we all (african american and white) have learned from that time...at least I hope we have.

The movie based on this book will be coming out in 2009.
blood done lied

Mooresville, NC

#4 Jul 6, 2008
Loopy wrote:
But, I do think that everyone should read the book.
It has extreme historic value not to mention the descriptions of our history in NC of the move from segregation to integration. Living in the western part of the state, I witnessed violence and curfews during this very difficult time in our lives.
I think we all (african american and white) have learned from that time...at least I hope we have.
The movie based on this book will be coming out in 2009.
And if it is like most movies based on books it will probably contain even more lies and distortions than the book does.
AfriKKKan-AmeriK KKan

Raleigh, NC

#5 Jul 9, 2008
blood done lied wrote:
<quoted text>
And if it is like most movies based on books it will probably contain even more lies and distortions than the book does.
And what makes you know this? If this is all lies then write your own book and tell the truth otherwise keep your ignorant comments to yourself.
reader

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#6 Jul 11, 2008
The book has twenty pages of sources listed in the back, not just general sources but specific to each passage, with where to find quotes, figures, and oral history interviews. You can look up virtually every statement. There are only a handful of places in the whole book where the author, a prize-winning historian, relies on his own memory. The research base for the book is enormous. The comments that suggest this is fiction are either dishonest or have not bothered to look at the book very closely.
Teels and truth

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#7 Jul 11, 2008
The Teels are not the only people who were at the murder scene at Four Corners in Oxford on May 11, 1970. Boo Chavis was there. Jimmy Chavis was there. Edward Webb was there. Mrs. Marie Downey was there. All of these people testified in court. The author of BLOOD DONE SIGN MY NAME interviewed all of them. Not only that, but he interviewed Robert Teel, who explained his responsibility for the killing this way: "That n***** committed suicide, coming in my store wanting to four-letter-word my daughter-in-law." The victim, Henry Marrow, died on his back, helpless, unarmed, and begging for his life, a hundred feet off Teel's property, shot between the eyes after a shotgun butt had been smashed across his head. If that strikes you as justifiable homicide, then you might disagree with parts of the book, but it could still teach you a lot about America and humanity. But the Teels are not the only sources for this killing, and Tyson has ransacked the FBI files, court documents, newspapers, KKK papers, NAACP Papers, and interviewed nearly everyone involved in the case, including Robert Teel. The details of the murder itself come largely from the man responsible, but not just him. "Blood done lied' is the one who is lying or perhaps just has not checked the facts, which are readily available.
poochie

United States

#8 Jul 28, 2008
Tim Tyson should go and hide somewhere, he's tried everything possible with his lies in the book Blood Done Sign My Name to stir up a racial disturbance by trying to expose BOTH black and whites about something that happened 35 years ago. He was not there and knows nothing of how the incident happened,he 's just making money off of this book and movie and he doesn't care about the black or white people.this book is a revenge book because his preacher Daddy was asked to leave Oxford in the early 70's.His preacher Daddy is just as guilty cause there's money involded. These white men were aquitted by a jury in which Henry Marrows family's lawyer approved of, is he sharing all this money with the Marrow family that he feels so much symtpathy for, get real and see him for what he is
ann

United States

#9 Jul 28, 2008
I agree with Poochie, Tim Tyson has told so many lies that he can't keep them straight and he's contradicting what he's told before in his interviews, he's a has been that never was,most people don't even care about him or his book because he's been caught in so many lies.He doen't even sound or look like an author , just listen to his interviews, it's sickening
Get it Right

United States

#10 Jul 28, 2008
Has society come to the point it's OK to write a book and make a movie based on lies.
Check out www.timothybtyson.com

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#11 Jul 30, 2008
I would have to agree with everything Poochie and Ann have to say.It is time everyone sees Tim Tyson for what he is. Amazing site showing without a doubt just how much Tim Tyson has distorted the facts, just to make a buck. All he is doing is race baiting.So take a look at this site and spread the truth! timothybtyson.com
holy smokes

Raleigh, NC

#12 Aug 1, 2008
What a load of nonsense. Tyson "doesn't sound or look like an author?" Does an "author" look like Stephen King or Maya Angelou or Salman Rushdie? The guy has published three books and they all won major prizes. I'd say he's an author.

Tyson is a "has been that never was?" He's a professor at Duke and his bestselling book is getting made into a Hollywood motion picture. He has also won big academic prizes, too, from the Organization of American Historians, for example. Nobody commenting here specifies anything false in the books. The website does not reveal any mistakes of any importance in BLOOD DONE SIGN MY NAME, let alone fabrications.

Clearly the family of the men who killed Henry Marrow resent being associated with the crime. This is hardly surprising, since they shot him in the back, beat him half to death, and shot him in the head as he lay dying. But their resentment and shame does not undermine the essential truth of the book.

Henry Marrow is dead and the killers went free. The NEWS & OBSERVER called it "a mockery of justice and a sham" back in 1970 and it's still true. But the book's truth is much larger than the death of one young man--it's about America. Just read it and judge for yourself. As the Waynesville reader notes, it is all at the library. Some of these people should write their own book.

40 year old blood

Matthews, NC

#13 Aug 1, 2008
blacks kill each other (and lots of white folks too) every day for reasons just as stupid as this one; mostly just to steal the victim's property.

who's writing a book about that?
blood lies

Matthews, NC

#14 Aug 1, 2008
Anyone who knows anything about Oxford during the period that this book covers can see that Tyson's book is full of fabrications, distortions, and half-truths.

What would you expect from a man who is so pro-black and anti-white that he becomes one of the few white professors of African American Studies in this country, much to the chagrin of black staff members at the school in which he taught?
misty

United States

#15 Aug 2, 2008
I have lived in Oxford NC since back before the Henry Marrow killing, I was there and remember very well what happened, it was nothing like Tim Tyson is portraying it, no one has ever questioned the other side of the story because some people believe what they want to.I know the Teel's and I know that they have been portayed as VILLIANS an they are not,what happened that day was not as it was written about in that book no matter how many awards he has won ,movie or what ever, he was never investigated, people just jumped at this book cause it made good reading, if Duke knew how he actually was, he wouldn't be there, I would not want him teaching my kids or grandkids, he wants to be another famous civil rights person and he's gonna get found out.How does this country let a person write a book full of lies about another person and get away with it,I hope that everybody realizes the truth cause how would you feel if someone wrote a book about you and maybe an event happened in your life, and added lies to it to make people want to read it and then a movie ? If that's the case we all should write a book about Tim Tyson and fill it full of lies,God Bless you all who do not beleive him,and look how much money he will get out of trashing the Teel's, the Henry Marrow family and a lot of blacks and whites who probably don't want to be reminded of things of long ago, he gets a lot of information, if you want to call it that from Eddie McCoy, a so call historian, he's black and to my understanding his own race doesn't like him, he claims to know how Henry Marrow was shot, if he was there he didn't tell the truth about where he was shot, I saw him telling it on TV and he didn't tell the truth
reader

Raleigh, NC

#16 Aug 2, 2008
This commentator is uninformed. Most of the African American Studies programs in the country have several white professors. And Tyson's book has nothing "anti-white" about it, unless you define "white" as supportive of injustice.
blood lies

Matthews, NC

#17 Aug 2, 2008
reader wrote:
This commentator is uninformed. Most of the African American Studies programs in the country have several white professors. And Tyson's book has nothing "anti-white" about it, unless you define "white" as supportive of injustice.
more lies. there are none so blind as those who will not see. it is scary how many people can be led like sheep by someone like tyson and the whole liberal entertainment and media industries. all you have to do is write a pro-black, anti-white book basically rehashing 40 year old history and embellishing it with lies, distortions, and half-truths, and honors will be heaped upon your head.

if tyson were to write another book, only pro-gay, anti-straight this time, he would probably be crowned the finest literary talent in the history of the world.

when blood lies first came out there were emails online from UW-M personnel complaining that tyson was not qualied to be an AA studies professor. now these emails are no longer accessible. strange.

tyson's embarrassing rantings during the duke lacrosse fiasco is further proof of his anti-white leanings. and like that other wacko, nifong, tyson will not even admit he is wrong when proven so.

if tim and his dad think God is on their side they are not reading the same Bible I am. they seek only to glorify themselves, and the Lord has some pretty definite thinks to say about that in His book.
blood lies

Matthews, NC

#18 Aug 2, 2008
make that 'THINGS to say'; however 'thinks' might do just as well.
reader

Raleigh, NC

#19 Aug 2, 2008
blood lies wrote:
<quoted text>
more lies. there are none so blind as those who will not see. it is scary how many people can be led like sheep by someone like tyson and the whole liberal entertainment and media industries. all you have to do is write a pro-black, anti-white book basically rehashing 40 year old history and embellishing it with lies, distortions, and half-truths, and honors will be heaped upon your head.
if tyson were to write another book, only pro-gay, anti-straight this time, he would probably be crowned the finest literary talent in the history of the world.
when blood lies first came out there were emails online from UW-M personnel complaining that tyson was not qualied to be an AA studies professor. now these emails are no longer accessible. strange.
if tim and his dad think God is on their side they are not reading the same Bible I am. they seek only to glorify themselves, and the Lord has some pretty definite thinks to say about that in His book.
Just another two-for-a-nickel conservative ideologue spouting his opinions as fact. There are white African American Studies professors at most of the universities in the country.(North Carolina's own Glenda Gilmore, a white woman, is chair of Afro-American Studies at Yale.) To say Tyson is "unqualified" is like saying Kobe can't shoot; you can say so, but the scoreboard says otherwise. He was a tenured full professor at Wisconsin, one of the great research universities in the country. He got hired away by Duke and is also on the faculty at UNC. His book got the big thumbs-up from the Carolina Review--the right-wing Republican newspaper at UNC Chapel Hill--and also from the John Locke Foundation, which is the leading conservative voice in North Carolin. The Bible-thumping Gestapo from Gastonia is all by himself, even among conservatives, which is why he has to write in so often. If only he were gay and black, our Gastonia friend thinks, he'd have it easy. Unless of course he got beaten to death like Henry Marrow, and shot in the head just as a bonus.
misty

United States

#20 Aug 2, 2008
To reader in raleigh, what would you do if 8 people came at your son with an opened knife what would you do?I guess you'd just let them kill him,huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chapel Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mark Duke / Freedom Foundation / House of God (Feb '09) 6 hr Anna Marie 7
AICPA Announces 2014 Leadership Academy Class 8 hr Ace McMillan 1
MC's in North Carolina Mon sonnyg 1
Brad Cooper - Fair and Just Trial? WHO MIGHT B... (May '11) Oct 18 Bend Over 1,307
NC vote by mail shows 20% swing to Dems after f... Oct 18 Swedenforever 7
Review: Steve's Appliance and HVAC (Feb '10) Oct 18 StevesNeighbor 18
Raleigh police: Man tried to bite off girlfrien... Oct 16 Anonymous 22
Chapel Hill Dating
Find my Match

Chapel Hill Jobs

Chapel Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chapel Hill News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chapel Hill

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]