Mitchell

United States

#177 Mar 10, 2011
Were you on break? Had you asked for someone to look after your patients while you slept? It would have been the same result had you gone off the floor to go and eat. Why did they write you up instead of waking you up to tend to your patients? Why was she in the breakroom, leaving her patients unattended? Co-workers are not your friends. They dont appreciate you until they are left with the work you were doing. Some Nurses tend to complain about the lack of nurses who are hired, yet they dont have anything to do but get you fired. Just saying....

Since: Mar 11

Fayetteville, NC

#178 Mar 10, 2011
I am truley empathetic with you, and DUI. I have only experienced a small smatter of the Board of nursing punishment. I don't drink, nor drug, have never committed a pixes error. I am inocent, and have suffered their rath, and ignorence. Because a friend on the board knew the supervisor I worked under. They are capable of punishing for a friend sake. They didn't blink an eye. I want to say one thing. Invest in RN nursing insurance. They will pay a large amount of attorney cost for defense. I have not used mine yet, but have it. I am still fighting with the board of nurses, and will not give up till the day I die. I feel I owe it to them. Also read the regulations, and know your scope of practice. These are words given to me, by a wise RN that helped me in the past.
CA RN

AOL

#179 Mar 11, 2011
dont waste your time wrote:
If you think that's unfair, I have never been arrested, convicted or even accused of any crime, nor had anything more than a speeding ticket on my record. I simply told my manager that I was having a problem with substance abuse that happened once in my life over ten years ago. I did the right thing and am still being punished for it years later. I've been told that administrative law is far different from criminal law...no statutes of limitations apply, no judicial process, heck...even if you go to court and an administrative judge decides that you should be relicensed without restriction the Board can simply ignore that and impose ANY disciplinary action it wants! Absurd.
True story... you go before the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) to plead your case, the ALJ may wish to alleviate your discipline, but the Board can adopt the proposed decision or non-adopt the decision..It's the Board's call. What a bummer for you!! I hope you learned to let sleeping dogs sleep!!
CA RN

AOL

#180 Mar 11, 2011
NurseinNE wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be written up for that, it was neglect. You're just lucky they didn't actually fall.
Ya know, written up yeah. Reported to the Board..hmm..I would need a little more info before I made up my mind.

Since: Mar 11

Fayetteville, NC

#181 Mar 12, 2011
kenny chavez wrote:
The board is only good for collecting licesure dues. The board, what a joke. I found out the hardway that they care nothing about the nurse. As a newgrad back in 2000, a complaint was filled againgst me by a supervisor, who was looking for payback for me going through the chain of command, about his conduct. Eventually this lead to an accussation by him that I came in on my day off and took medications. I received a letter by the board who offered me diversion, and to inform me a complaint was filled. I immediately called them, to protest and to claim my innocence. If i knew then what i know now, even if innocent, take the diversion program. this was eventually turned over to an investigator, where i became just another case number. Iam 40 years old, married, two children own my own home, and at risk of loosing everything. Well once it was turned to the investigator, hired by the board, and can care less for the accussed, I supplied him with a full account of the events, signed releases to notify current and past employers, and called everyday for about the first 2 weeks, when he eventually told me to stop bugging him no news is good news. I felt somewhat reassured that they would find no merit to the allegation. As we all know, nursing is very clicky, shift against shift, peers against peers, which i cant understand. Well, i ended up leaving this hospital, going to another facility about 3 milles away. I live in a small community palm desert, and quickly found out, that everyone moonlights. My wife and i moved her from orange county, and new noone. Most of the nurses at the hospitals i have mentioned, have known each other for years. Rumors spread like a wild fire, that i was released from my former employer because of stealling meds. I quickly met with my director of the tele unit i worked on to disclose all the details for me leaving my last work place. I told her the rumors have to stop, and eventually called the board, whos advice was give it time, it will subside. Well to make along story short 3 years after working at my new place of employment, the investigator contacted my current employer, and told them i was being investigated for diversion. It just so happened that the director i had told about the investigation that was going on, but had no idea it would take 3 years, was on vacation. The day the investigator contacted my employer i was fired. I found this out later in court records. well this investigator then came and audited 3 years of charting my me and found 9 discrepencies in regards to medication documentation. I soon got a letter by the District attorney that they intended to charge me with 9 felony counts, for drug diversion. This stuff does happen. This is something you read about, but i assure you, i am real and iam here fighting for my life. We will soon be going to trial and feel confident, but at this point, dont trust anyone, including are legal system. So i know first hand what a joke the board ia and how little support they offer to nurses..........kenny chavez RN
I concure and sympthize 100% with you. I had a similar thing only my supervisor said I forged a letter of recommendation. I wasnt at the hospital any longer, had left to graduate nursing school. That was my saving grace. No availability to letter heads, or stamp machine that was on the envelop of recommendation letter. I currently am on probation, even though I proved my inocents with a lawyer at the board review. I am now still trying to find a job.
Kate

Long Beach, CA

#182 Mar 20, 2011
Bay area CA RN wrote:
Hi concerned Redding Ca RN, any chance we can speak/email. I am an RN (california) with one dui. I havent reported to the board yet since my license is not due for renewal until Aug 2011. I have had a consultation with an administrave lawyer and will use him for the boards. However, i would like to speak with RN's who have been in the same situation as me. I am very scared for my RN license and dealing with the boards so any recommendations are very appreciated.
You should fight this all the way. There is a case I read about, I'll find it and come back here. A DUI is NOT substantially related to the practice of nursing and they can't discipline you for it. It should have no impact on your license. You need a good criminal attorney not just a good administrative law attorney. And on the admin law attorney, most of them are out to get your money and they make bad deals for you. I'll find the case and post it here. You should definitely hire the attorneys who got this case dismissed.
Kate

Long Beach, CA

#183 Mar 20, 2011
To Bay Area CA RN:

Here is the link to the case and the lawyers:

http://slotelaw.com/case-results/nurse-one-du...

Slotelaw.com that's who you want to represent you. Good luck!
NurseAttorney

Yucca Valley, CA

#184 Mar 20, 2011
The referral to the Slote law firm is an administrative law firm and successfully challenged the Board's position that the nurse in that case with 1 DUI should not be disciplined. However, the decision was case specific and does not automatically apply to all cases. While the referral to this firm is a appropriate, the comment that admin law attorneys are "out to get your money and they make bad deals for you" is not - especially since the case cited above was handled and fought by admin lawyers. Criminal lawyers do not have experience handling board related (admin) matters and therefore, most nurses need a criminal lawyer to handle the criminal side of the DUI and an administrative lawyer to handle the licensing issues.
CA RN

AOL

#185 Mar 23, 2011
Kate wrote:
To Bay Area CA RN:
Here is the link to the case and the lawyers:
http://slotelaw.com/case-results/nurse-one-du...
Slotelaw.com that's who you want to represent you. Good luck!
Thanks for the referral, yes it is a good avenue to follow since Adam Slote had that victory. I have spoken with him in the past, and although there are no gaurantees on a similar outcome. It will cost no less than 10K to find out. Hopefully, that defendant favored outcome will have a positive effect on current and future cases like this with the BRN. Maybe they will have more leiniency towards these "not so related" cases, since they have a chance to lose in a superior court.
AllBONisBad

Houston, TX

#186 Mar 24, 2011
BON does destroy and ruin the lives of nurses on allegations alone. My horror is too long to list here so I can only say that I feel a vindictive nurse was trying to cover her own mistakes by wrongfully discrediting me. I decided to voluntarily surrender my license after 23 years of service to the community and then I find out this nurse has made allegations against me which were not true. Not having the money for an attorney and being unable to go to BON and leave my minor child unattended, I could not contest this wrong. Disciplinary action should be left up to the employer (mine did not claim wrong doing on my part)and all BON's should be abolished.And yes, even though I have never committed any Medicare/Medicaid fraud, I have been told I cannot work for their agencies.
AllBONisBad

Houston, TX

#187 Mar 24, 2011
Please, EVERYONE who has been wronged, from every state, please post (even with Cut & Paste) at BON is Bad. It is my hope to remove this evil entity from existence. With the states having incredible deficits, perhaps that will be added impetus to disband this unfairly punitive organization that costs so much money and can be replaced by reasonable people for free by the employers. The BON says is does not care about nurses, only the patients. It would paint a more accurate picture if the word "nurse" was replaced with the words "black people" and the word "patients" replaced with the words "white people".
Lynne

Philadelphia, PA

#188 Mar 24, 2011
To allBONisbad, I'm not disregarding your statement, as you had some good points but the last sentence was inaccurate. This growing problem is NOT based on race. It's about the BON treating all nurses as though they are supposed to act like they are not human. Nursing is a profession the people that chose that as a career are human, we face the same emotional and physical problems as everyone else, but we are punished for things that happen to people in everyday life. For example someone having depression can function normally with proper care from a physician, but if a nurse is diagnosed and has issues that are no way related to their job and the BON gets wind of it, they face losing their career unless they meet ridiculous demands. It is not right. It's
happened to some of the best nurses I know, as well as myself. I was treated like an
addict for attempting suicide while off duty.
Narcotics or illegal substances were not
involved. I faced 1 year suspension with
stipulations that I complete drug rehab, drug screens, counseling and attend AA/NA meetings. Once that was complete they stated they "MAY" give my license back with a 2 year probation that placed restrictions on
my license. I gave up because I couldn't
stand up there and insult those people at the
meetings by lying and saying I was an
addict. I requested a hearing multiple times
and was denied. It has been almost 10
years. I am now seeking advice because I
have returned to school for massage
Therapy, almost finished and just found out I
could be denied my license because of the
nursing boards unfair decision. I'm about to
possibly lose to careers because of them.
The tyrany of the BON is unfair and bad enough without turning it into a race issue. It's not based on that, in fact the majority of the nurses that I know that have faced this are white. It is against all nurses period, race does not matter. And if you are just referencing the act of slavery, don't go there it was over 200 years ago. In that time every race in America has been given opportunity to have their shot at the American dream, those that chose to take it do well, those that chose to not rise above the stereotype have what they have. And before I'm accused, NO I'm not racist, some of my best friends are African American.
Anonymous

Cincinnati, OH

#189 Mar 24, 2011
I'm sorry, AllBONisBad, maybe I just don't get it. How does race play in all of this?
Anonymous

Cincinnati, OH

#190 Mar 24, 2011
I'm pretty sure that most of the places I have worked for were racially diverse with nurses of all ethnicities, not only black and white, and the patients/residents were as well. And I don't know much about the BON but if I had to guess I would bet that it's probably made up of black people and white people as well as people of other ethnicities. And I'm pretty sure they try nurses of ALL creeds and color. Luckily I've never had to deal with the BON. After reading the horror stories on here I would have to agree with some of you about them, so I'm not sticking up for the BON, but I had to comment about your race statement because it is ridiculous. But I do agree with everything else you said.
28 years as a registered

Colonial Heights, VA

#191 Mar 25, 2011
yet-another-victim wrote:
let me tell u s'thing abt the board of nsg. they are not worh s***! as a cna i was asleep for abt 30 mins on the job abt 2 years ago when i was 3 months pregnant. some wicked cowoker of mine wrote me up for sleeping on the job and called the board and reported me for neglect coz one of my residents almost fell,(didn't actually fall but almost). amonth later i graduated as an RN and the freaking board wont let me sit for my license bc i was under investigation for neglect. can u imagine that this investigation stuff took over 11/2 years and here i am today almost 2 years after school working in gp homes making 8 dollars/ hr. do not get me started about how useless the board of nursing is. they could not care less abt people. i had letters from my obgyn and everything for my hearing and yet nothing. they could not care less about us if they tried. trust me. im living the nightmare. but is there anything that can be done about this instead of us just sitting and taking it?
The fact of the matter is you were sleeping on the job. over the years i have had my fill of cna's not doing their job abd eating buckets of kentucky fried and hiding in patients rooms and watching t.v. I have seen the feces dried on the patient and piss rings in the bed where the patient urinated time after time and it just dried. Lazy cna's like you are the reason I do not work in nursing homes anymore because the DON will do nothing and when I send one home for not punching out and sitting for hours, then punching out to go to lunch, or all the cna's off the floor and the charge can do nothing, don't cry. you probably need to work at wallmart. lazy and cna are two of the same words. stand in my shoes and look at yourself sleeping on the job when you ought to be working, do not use pregnancy as an excuse. face it you are a lazy indolent cna, who scams on the job, leaving the charge, who has meds crushed to put in the g-tubes, all the plugged g-tubes and looks around and all the cna's disappear as soon as the supervisors are gone. I do not feel in the least bit sorry for you. your kind of patient care is the reason I got out of the nursing home racket. You probably eat for 2 hours and then hide until the last rounds, then do a half-assed job and leave, then the charge has to take the heat. you probably leave the dinner tray out of the patients reach and do not set them up and leave them in one position the entire shift, no wonder there are so many bedsores on the patients because of lazy cna's like you!!!!!
similar sitch

United States

#192 Mar 25, 2011
I feel for you and every other nurse who has been through this. I was an RN for 15 yrs and found myself having to defend myself for something that happened over ten yrs ago. Tens of thousands of dollars and two attorneys got me nowhere. They can do anything they want and are not bound by the same laws as criminal cases. Administrative law is awful. I gave up a license many yrs ago landing me on the OIG list. Now my state wants me to do 3 yrs of probation but a stipulation is working full time in patient care. But the OIG list precludes me from doing this. It's a catch 22 that no board understands or cares about so I have no way to fulfill that requirement. Furthermore, this list bans you from working in the healthcare industry in any capacity. I am so frustrated and no attorney has been able to help me. I have no further means to defend myself or fight this so I have no choice but to leave completely.this list is pure hell. If you gave up a license you are likely on it and may not even know it. You are unhirable to any place even as a janitor if they accept federal funding or do business with someone who does. It's nuts!!!
Lynne wrote:
To allBONisbad, I'm not disregarding your statement, s you had some good points but the last sentence was inaccurate. This growing problem is NOT based on race. It's about the BON treating all nurses as though they are supposed to act like they are not human. Nursing is a profession the people that chose that as a career are human, we face the same emotional and physical problems as everyone else, but we are punished for things that happen to people in everyday life. For example someone having depression can function normally with proper care from a physician, but if a nurse is diagnosed and has issues that are no way related to their job and the BON gets wind of it, they face losing their career unless they meet ridiculous demands. It is not right. It's
happened to some of the best nurses I know, as well as myself. I was treated like an
addict for attempting suicide while off duty.
Narcotics or illegal substances were not
involved. I faced 1 year suspension with
stipulations that I complete drug rehab, drug screens, counseling and attend AA/NA meetings. Once that was complete they stated they "MAY" give my license back with a 2 year probation that placed restrictions on
my license. I gave up because I couldn't
stand up there and insult those people at the
meetings by lying and saying I was an
addict. I requested a hearing multiple times
and was denied. It has been almost 10
years. I am now seeking advice because I
have returned to school for massage
Therapy, almost finished and just found out I
could be denied my license because of the
nursing boards unfair decision. I'm about to
possibly lose to careers because of them.
The tyrany of the BON is unfair and bad enough without turning it into a race issue. It's not based on that, in fact the majority of the nurses that I know that have faced this are white. It is against all nurses period, race does not matter. And if you are just referencing the act of slavery, don't go there it was over 200 years ago. In that time every race in America has been given opportunity to have their shot at the American dream, those that chose to take it do well, those that chose to not rise above the stereotype have what they have. And before I'm accused, NO I'm not racist, some of my best friends are African American.

Since: Feb 11

Pinellas Park, FL

#193 Mar 25, 2011
28 years as a registered wrote:
<quoted text> The fact of the matter is you were sleeping on the job. over the years i have had my fill of cna's not doing their job abd eating buckets of kentucky fried and hiding in patients rooms and watching t.v. I have seen the feces dried on the patient and piss rings in the bed where the patient urinated time after time and it just dried. Lazy cna's like you are the reason I do not work in nursing homes anymore because the DON will do nothing and when I send one home for not punching out and sitting for hours, then punching out to go to lunch, or all the cna's off the floor and the charge can do nothing, don't cry. you probably need to work at wallmart. lazy and cna are two of the same words. stand in my shoes and look at yourself sleeping on the job when you ought to be working, do not use pregnancy as an excuse. face it you are a lazy indolent cna, who scams on the job, leaving the charge, who has meds crushed to put in the g-tubes, all the plugged g-tubes and looks around and all the cna's disappear as soon as the supervisors are gone. I do not feel in the least bit sorry for you. your kind of patient care is the reason I got out of the nursing home racket. You probably eat for 2 hours and then hide until the last rounds, then do a half-assed job and leave, then the charge has to take the heat. you probably leave the dinner tray out of the patients reach and do not set them up and leave them in one position the entire shift, no wonder there are so many bedsores on the patients because of lazy cna's like you!!!!!
Wow! It sounds like you have HAD IT! I feel your pain, and, sadly, agree. I've never worked full-time in a nursing home, but in hospital nursing and it is not much different. Except the primary RN taking care of the patient gets the brunt of complaints. I have worked with many CNAs that have gone above and beyond (within their scope of practice) to be the best of the best...and, they have ended up going to RN school...the others would rather just collect a (govt) check and watch Jerry Springer.
Anonymous

Cincinnati, OH

#194 Mar 28, 2011
Bridget2cool wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! It sounds like you have HAD IT! I feel your pain, and, sadly, agree. I've never worked full-time in a nursing home, but in hospital nursing and it is not much different. Except the primary RN taking care of the patient gets the brunt of complaints. I have worked with many CNAs that have gone above and beyond (within their scope of practice) to be the best of the best...and, they have ended up going to RN school...the others would rather just collect a (govt) check and watch Jerry Springer.
Your last sentence made me laugh, although I would suggest they watch Steve Wilkos rather than Jerry Springer. LOL Just Kidding!:o)

Since: Feb 11

Pinellas Park, FL

#195 Mar 28, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Your last sentence made me laugh, although I would suggest they watch Steve Wilkos rather than Jerry Springer. LOL Just Kidding!:o)
HA!!!!

Truly, we CNAs, RNs, LVNs should stick together and work as a team instead of bashing each other. There needs to be an end to us "eating our young"...I know I've done it...I have precept'ed many baby nurses and made them cry. I feel bad for not being more patient...

And, I hope one day there is an end to all of the Boards having so much power! There HAS to be a governing body OVER them to keep things fair!

I love this forum because I feel there is NO outlet for nurses who have board issues to vent without feeling even MORE shame, humiliation, regret...this isn't something you can just converse about to anyone....

Something or someone HAS to come along and help nurses who are unfairly treated by their Board!
Mitchell

United States

#196 Mar 30, 2011
Bridget2cool wrote:
<quoted text>
HA!!!!
Truly, we CNAs, RNs, LVNs should stick together and work as a team instead of bashing each other. There needs to be an end to us "eating our young"...I know I've done it...I have precept'ed many baby nurses and made them cry. I feel bad for not being more patient...
And, I hope one day there is an end to all of the Boards having so much power! There HAS to be a governing body OVER them to keep things fair!
I love this forum because I feel there is NO outlet for nurses who have board issues to vent without feeling even MORE shame, humiliation, regret...this isn't something you can just converse about to anyone....
Something or someone HAS to come along and help nurses who are unfairly treated by their Board!
After countless interviews and phone calls from recruiters saying I have excellent scores on their pre employment screening tests, clean drug ua's, and references, I am rejected because I chose to confront a stalker instead of calling the police on her. After my admitting to them that I have a 10 year old terroristic threat class b misdemeanor, I am told that I am violent and would not be trusted to deliver care.

I believe they should be more afraid of having to take care of me when I have to apply for foodstamps and public housing, plus sit on my butt all day and watch Jerry Springer because I am not allowed to work in any field being a liability.

My only hope to employment is to seek a pardon by Texas Governor, Rick Perry (who would probably look up my demographics and spit on them). An expunged or sealed record will not suffice, so I will consider opening my own soul food restaurant or non profit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chandler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arizona Woman Dies From Traumatic Head Injuries... 49 min failHard 1
Tempe Music Thread 18 hr Musikologist 1
Review: Asrari Endodontics (Oct '08) 20 hr Amber Johnson 8
East coast mobusters in east valley Tue ajay1974 4
Jimmy Merle Vaņater A.K.A. James or ltaly Dec 16 Concerned for oth... 1
Do you know which businesses in Gilbert to avoi... (Dec '09) Dec 16 Moving Company 6
Powerful Lobbying firm to host fundraiser for L... Dec 16 Time Chaser 6
Chandler Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chandler People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chandler News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chandler

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:51 pm PST