how many nurses have had lost there l...
concerned Redding Ca

AOL

#157 Feb 26, 2011
Sad to be leaving wrote:
I recently surrendered my license to the board of nursing in the state ot Louisiana. While trying to restrain a drunk he stated i assaulted him, after he went to administration that morning they decided to have the security guard write me up. The board lead me to believe that i would be able to work in an non-clinicial environment after my pyschological evaluation. My evaluation stated i was no threat to immediate patient safety but the board refuses to re-enstate my license with restrictions. This has ruined my life. Nursing is all I have ever done. It has been my life for 24 years as an RN and 9 years before that as an aide. It is so sad that our profession has come down to dollars and cents. We as nurses have always gotten the worse end of the deal. Doctors gets lavish appreciation parties and gifts. We get ice cream social and pencils. Their families get their deductibles written off and we have to pay a co-pay. I have seen so much deceit and dihonestly in this business that hollywood can't compete. I'm throwing the towel in, I have no more fight left. No matter how many holidays you give up,funerals you miss to work, school plays, etc., you will never be appreciated for the sacrifices. This is farewell from a nurse's spirit that has been killed by it"s board of nursing. To the person at the board who told me when I asked how can I afford to pay for the fines imposed, stated "people some how figure out how to get it done", remember the person to save your life will proably will be a nurse not a doctor.
Amen to that! It doesn't sound like you were given a comprehensive eval by the board. Why does a governmental agency want to cripple the work force? It leads to more strain on the social network sending people on unemployment or disability without probable cause. Good Luck to you and thanks for all those years of service!
concerned Redding Ca

AOL

#158 Feb 26, 2011
Remember guys the Boards of Nursing are in force to protect the public, not in force to protect nurses, they do collect our fees, issue license and monitor any misdoings. An RN who has any misconduct in the workplace or out of the workplace is subject to investigation and subsequent disciplne or revocation. They enforce the "Nurse Practice Act", as nurses are given a privilege that could be potentially abused. I understand and respect the fact that they protect the public and maintain integrity in the field of nursing. My only hope is that they always do so in a diligent manner and are careful in the selection of criteria when imposing discipline. I fear that many good nurses are getting derailed in a system that can be too rigid.
Mitchell

United States

#159 Feb 26, 2011
dont waste your time wrote:
If you think that's unfair, I have never been arrested, convicted or even accused of any crime, nor had anything more than a speeding ticket on my record. I simply told my manager that I was having a problem with substance abuse that happened once in my life over ten years ago. I did the right thing and am still being punished for it years later. I've been told that administrative law is far different from criminal law...no statutes of limitations apply, no judicial process, heck...even if you go to court and an administrative judge decides that you should be relicensed without restriction the Board can simply ignore that and impose ANY disciplinary action it wants! Absurd.
It might be to your advantage to find another job. Surely your problem with substance abuse wouldnt be spread to any other potential employers esp if you only shared this with you manager. If this has not been reported to your board, you should have no problems. In Texas, nurses with any drug or ETOH abuse are able to maintain their licenses and after attending a drug class or rehab can continue to work. They have 3 chances to proved themselves. Surely if they can support them, they can support me. I dont drink, use any drugs, nor smoke. I just told an ex-boyfriend if he or his girlfriend came to my house again that I would shoot them and this was after the police arrived when I called them.
opsvixen

Reno, NV

#160 Feb 28, 2011
I'm not a nurse. However, does it ever occur to "you" who keeps pointing a finger at all the "you's" that "they" may not even be guilty? "you" have already tried them before a trial. I assure you, it is far more "scary" that someone of your ilk would be caring for Anyone, let alone be employed by the Board.
"You" are a very scary person, who obviously is not able to care for anyone, which is why you are "only" employed by the Board. "You" are a very sad person, and the personification of what all these people are talking about. I may have begrudged them their outlook, UNTIL your uneducated response. Who needs God? We have "you".

Since: Feb 11

Pinellas Park, FL

#161 Feb 28, 2011
opsvixen wrote:
I'm not a nurse. However, does it ever occur to "you" who keeps pointing a finger at all the "you's" that "they" may not even be guilty? "you" have already tried them before a trial. I assure you, it is far more "scary" that someone of your ilk would be caring for Anyone, let alone be employed by the Board.
"You" are a very scary person, who obviously is not able to care for anyone, which is why you are "only" employed by the Board. "You" are a very sad person, and the personification of what all these people are talking about. I may have begrudged them their outlook, UNTIL your uneducated response. Who needs God? We have "you".
Who are you referring to?
concerned Redding Ca

AOL

#162 Mar 2, 2011
opsvixen wrote:
Board of Registered Nursing is a governmental agency that issues licenses. They are not employers. Just curious, who tried who?

Since: Feb 11

Pinellas Park, FL

#163 Mar 2, 2011
You know, I think the Medical Board is more forgiving than the Nursing Board. Look at that clown Conrad Murray. He is STILL practicing medicine and it seems clear to me that he killed Michael Jackson or LET him die. I'd be interested to hear other nurse's stories of doctors who never lost their license even having provided gross negligence to their patients.

Hey opsvixen,

I'm with you! The person "you" you refer to must be a heartless individual...and, must not be a nurse or a nurse that has never worked in a busy hospital. I know of so many that have continued on from BSN to MSN or PhD and only work in the hospital or with patients for their degree. Not a "real" nurse in my mind.

I applied for an investigator job for the Texas Board years ago. I thought it was kind of a joke because the pay was so poor. I mean, a couple thousand per month salary. I showed up for the job interview in a summery skirt and shirt not prepared for the 8 panel interview. All were wearing suits. Ugh! Didn't make sense to me.
CA RN

AOL

#164 Mar 2, 2011
Opsvixen I get it...You are talking about the members of the board who have got RN's licenses in their hands, and are playing GOD with them.
Maye B

Garden Grove, CA

#165 Mar 5, 2011
Hi...I recently found out that I'm suspended as a Medi-Cal provider in Ca. I am not suspended from medicare or in the OIG list. I filed reinstatement petition in Oct of last year. My conviction has been expunged 10 years ago but Dept of health still not responding to my request. I have been unemployed since Oct. My license is active but I can't work in this state to anyone who submits claim to the government. Can somebody help me? Thank you
lynne

New Iberia, LA

#166 Mar 5, 2011
I'm in a different area than most of the posts here, but i had to comment. I'm in louisiana. In 2001 i had my license suspended.(lpn) I attempted suicide, had personal issues going on. I recieved a letter from the board stating for me to mail my license and a summary of what occurred. it turns out that the CNO where i worked reported by attempted suicide to the board. i was brought into the ER at the hospital that i worked at. She was later terminated for breeching confidentiality. But the board issued a 2 year suspension with stipulations, that i had to attend AA/NA meetings random drug screens and counseling before i could have license reinstated. then i would have 2 year probation in which i wouldn't be able to work nights, give narcotics, or work overtime. I don't understand the rationale for any of that. my attempted suicide was an overdose but not of a controlled substance. I have contacted them numerous times and they have been no help and at times down right rude. i haven't practiced in over 8 years because of it. i was good at what i did, my coworkers and friends constantly ask me why i don't contact the board and attempt to get it back. it won't do any good, im not an addict and wont pretend to be one just to satisfy their requirments to get my license reinstated. im almost finished massage therapy school and am looking into becoming a certified healing touch practioner, i just hope i don't get denied massage therapy licensure because of this. I haven't been able to find any information that would suggest that i would be denied licensure. Does anyone think that after all this time, if talking to an attorney would make a difference? I know i would have to take a refresher course but if i had a chance to get this over turned i would do anything. it never mattered much to me before but now that i have kids, it is starting to matter. I want them to be able to be proud of their moma.
NurseAttorney

Las Vegas, NV

#167 Mar 6, 2011
If you really want to go back to nursing, consult with an attorney who handles nursing board cases. The American Association of Nurse Attorneys' website has a list of nurse attorneys in your state. www.tanna.org
Mitchell

United States

#168 Mar 7, 2011
Maye B wrote:
Hi...I recently found out that I'm suspended as a Medi-Cal provider in Ca. I am not suspended from medicare or in the OIG list. I filed reinstatement petition in Oct of last year. My conviction has been expunged 10 years ago but Dept of health still not responding to my request. I have been unemployed since Oct. My license is active but I can't work in this state to anyone who submits claim to the government. Can somebody help me? Thank you
It sounds like you must do as I am about to do. Seek a pardon from your Governor. Explain to him/her why you are having problems and give him a website to remind him that more than half a million nurses will be needed by 2020. Then ask him if the federal laws regarding facilities receiving Medicare/medicaid payments are too strict. An expunged record still does not make it legal to pay you. The board will give you your license but you will not receive state funding. Find out if you have a union in your state who might help you.
Mitchell

United States

#169 Mar 7, 2011
Sad to be leaving wrote:
I recently surrendered my license to the board of nursing in the state ot Louisiana. While trying to restrain a drunk he stated i assaulted him, after he went to administration that morning they decided to have the security guard write me up. The board lead me to believe that i would be able to work in an non-clinicial environment after my pyschological evaluation. My evaluation stated i was no threat to immediate patient safety but the board refuses to re-enstate my license with restrictions. This has ruined my life. Nursing is all I have ever done. It has been my life for 24 years as an RN and 9 years before that as an aide. It is so sad that our profession has come down to dollars and cents. We as nurses have always gotten the worse end of the deal. Doctors gets lavish appreciation parties and gifts. We get ice cream social and pencils. Their families get their deductibles written off and we have to pay a co-pay. I have seen so much deceit and dihonestly in this business that hollywood can't compete. I'm throwing the towel in, I have no more fight left. No matter how many holidays you give up,funerals you miss to work, school plays, etc., you will never be appreciated for the sacrifices. This is farewell from a nurse's spirit that has been killed by it"s board of nursing. To the person at the board who told me when I asked how can I afford to pay for the fines imposed, stated "people some how figure out how to get it done", remember the person to save your life will proably will be a nurse not a doctor.
You may need to contact your state governor for a pardon. I am currently writing my to see if there is any way I might be able to work. My board made me pay a fine and allowed me to keep my license. Now I can only work for physicians or facilities who either dont receive Medicare or Medicaid payments or
Mitchell

United States

#170 Mar 7, 2011
lynne wrote:
I'm in a different area than most of the posts here, but i had to comment. I'm in louisiana. In 2001 i had my license suspended.(lpn) I attempted suicide, had personal issues going on. I recieved a letter from the board stating for me to mail my license and a summary of what occurred. it turns out that the CNO where i worked reported by attempted suicide to the board. i was brought into the ER at the hospital that i worked at. She was later terminated for breeching confidentiality. But the board issued a 2 year suspension with stipulations, that i had to attend AA/NA meetings random drug screens and counseling before i could have license reinstated. then i would have 2 year probation in which i wouldn't be able to work nights, give narcotics, or work overtime. I don't understand the rationale for any of that. my attempted suicide was an overdose but not of a controlled substance. I have contacted them numerous times and they have been no help and at times down right rude. i haven't practiced in over 8 years because of it. i was good at what i did, my coworkers and friends constantly ask me why i don't contact the board and attempt to get it back. it won't do any good, im not an addict and wont pretend to be one just to satisfy their requirments to get my license reinstated. im almost finished massage therapy school and am looking into becoming a certified healing touch practioner, i just hope i don't get denied massage therapy licensure because of this. I haven't been able to find any information that would suggest that i would be denied licensure. Does anyone think that after all this time, if talking to an attorney would make a difference? I know i would have to take a refresher course but if i had a chance to get this over turned i would do anything. it never mattered much to me before but now that i have kids, it is starting to matter. I want them to be able to be proud of their moma.
Find out if a pardon from your governor will work. I have mentioned this to several others on this site. I am also contemplating writing the president or supreme court. I am looking for records which justified the enactment of this law which prevents healthcare workers with certain convictions/records from working in facilities with Medicaid or Medicare funding.
Request a hearing by the board. Take all of your documents from your rehab and make sure you mention that you would never injure anyone else. That you were only doing this to yourself and hopefully it will make sense to them.
Mitchell

United States

#171 Mar 7, 2011
NurseAttorney wrote:
If you really want to go back to nursing, consult with an attorney who handles nursing board cases. The American Association of Nurse Attorneys' website has a list of nurse attorneys in your state. www.tanna.org
Anyone who needs to should type in this site instead. The other one directed me to a journalist's website.
Mitchell

United States

#172 Mar 7, 2011
rgreathouse

Grand Rapids, MI

#173 Mar 7, 2011
Is there any legal recourse that can be taken against a employer that filed paperwork to the State of MI board of nursing that led to 2 year investigation... If bad faith can be proved?
NurseinNE

Lincoln, NE

#174 Mar 10, 2011
yet-another-victim wrote:
let me tell u s'thing abt the board of nsg. they are not worh s***! as a cna i was asleep for abt 30 mins on the job abt 2 years ago when i was 3 months pregnant. some wicked cowoker of mine wrote me up for sleeping on the job and called the board and reported me for neglect coz one of my residents almost fell,(didn't actually fall but almost). amonth later i graduated as an RN and the freaking board wont let me sit for my license bc i was under investigation for neglect. can u imagine that this investigation stuff took over 11/2 years and here i am today almost 2 years after school working in gp homes making 8 dollars/ hr. do not get me started about how useless the board of nursing is. they could not care less abt people. i had letters from my obgyn and everything for my hearing and yet nothing. they could not care less about us if they tried. trust me. im living the nightmare. but is there anything that can be done about this instead of us just sitting and taking it?
You should be written up for that, it was neglect. You're just lucky they didn't actually fall.
NurseinNE

Lincoln, NE

#175 Mar 10, 2011
Ok, just an overall observation....I have read through multiple entries on this site and all I can say is, wow! Some of you nurses I can kind of feel for. The Board is there to protect the public but they also need to be fair to those that it governs. Another overall generalization, although this doesn't pertain to every entry, you guys are professionals. It makes me a little nervous to think that you are taking care of people and administering narcotics when your language, your English, and your spelling is ludicrous. No wonder your charting gets audited.

Since: Mar 11

Fayetteville, NC

#176 Mar 10, 2011
I have had somewhat similar problems. If there is a union forming here. I want to know, and join. As a CNA I was charged with forgery. I got a lawyer and proved my inocence. I wrote my NCLEX and got licence. I was still put on probation, and repremended, they said a "win win situation". I had a tumor in 1985 that was removed with a histerectomy. I still have IBS problems due to this. Nursing board suspended my licence and made me go threw a physical, and a neuropsych physical to prove myself competent to take care of patients. I have since proved this, and got my licence back. Now no employer will touch me with ten foot pole. In 07/2012 I will lose licence for good, if I am not employed, and give them 4 evaluations that prove my competeny. I need help. Please if some one can give me places to read, or person to email. I am very interested in forming a group with similar nurses. 1000 nurses lost their licencses in NC last year alone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chandler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kid Charged After Flashing Genitals in Yearbook... 2 min Knock off purse s... 12
New recorded gangs in Arizona.... (Jun '07) 4 hr BBOY 2,062
terminated RN 9 hr momrn53 2
Removing the Copper Basin HOA (Sep '09) 17 hr bobeau89 33
major mob actuin in east valley Tue crimeazwatch 1
Village at Copper Basin (Feb '11) Mon cbs606 32
Bahama Beach Cruisers , Fat Tire Cruiser Apr 30 Jeff Mehl 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chandler Mortgages