how many nurses have had lost there l...
anonymous

Mason, OH

#136 Feb 13, 2011
Bridget Knowlton wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider medical transcription...
How does somebody get into medical transcription? Do you have to have a certain college degree or diploma?
N esau

Cabot, AR

#137 Feb 16, 2011
Lulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok sorry. Don't mean to be rude. But if you vomiting from the pain then how did you keep the pill down?
It was not continuous. I just need advice to be able to fix my situation.
dont waste your time

San Diego, CA

#138 Feb 17, 2011
I have spent many years and nearly $20K trying to fight the Board after volutarily surrendering my license. I self disclosed a brief issue with substance abuse over 10 years ago. I can seriously walk away now and know I have done everything in my power to rectify my situation. But the Board makes the stipulations almost impossible to fulfill if you've been out of the profession for over a couple of years. It's an insulting and hypocritical profession that should seriously re-think the cookie cutter decisions it makes for everyone regardless of their particular situations. I worked my butt off putting myself through school. I say forgive yourself and move on because the Board will hold you prisoner for years if you let them. Use the energy you will spend fighting it and move on.
Bridget Knowlton

Pinellas Park, FL

#139 Feb 17, 2011
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
How does somebody get into medical transcription? Do you have to have a certain college degree or diploma?
It is a certification that can be obtained online. Google "medical transcription programs"...there are many out there. I don't think any one is more "prestigious" than the next. I took mine through Allied Medical School...not really a "medical school" obviously. I took a few tests and placed out of 3 classes. It was quite easy, but super frustrating because I know progress reports, op reports, etc...and I would get a word wrong that I know was right...I feel their graders were substandard...maybe new grads (medical transcription) that were not medically trained.

It costed around 2500.00....I thought it would take me 3 months to get through...it really took 9!!! Time consuming....if you can type accurately and quickly and listen to ESL docs you are in for a treat. ESL--English as a second language...imagine the funniest doc you have overheard dictating...then bash your head in with a hammer 20 times....that's what it is like listening to these dictations.

Now, I found it HARDER to find a job than as a new nurse. In fact, it is impossible.....unless you start at the bottom of the totem pole maybe in a hospital. My goal was to work from home....

I am not working as a med transcriptionist because I couldn't find work...but, I haven't really tried as hard as I could have.

I sent my resume to around 200 companies...only got 3 responses...2 no's and 1 yes, for a medical proofer that only paid around 10 cents a line...that fell through because the hospital they were going to hire me for backed out. Never heard from them again.

I think med transcription could be a great way to go...I never got "into it" because I have 2 kids under 3 and am really busy with them.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Bridget

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#140 Feb 18, 2011
Bridget Knowlton wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a certification that can be obtained online. Google "medical transcription programs"...there are many out there. I don't think any one is more "prestigious" than the next. I took mine through Allied Medical School...not really a "medical school" obviously. I took a few tests and placed out of 3 classes. It was quite easy, but super frustrating because I know progress reports, op reports, etc...and I would get a word wrong that I know was right...I feel their graders were substandard...maybe new grads (medical transcription) that were not medically trained.
It costed around 2500.00....I thought it would take me 3 months to get through...it really took 9!!! Time consuming....if you can type accurately and quickly and listen to ESL docs you are in for a treat. ESL--English as a second language...imagine the funniest doc you have overheard dictating...then bash your head in with a hammer 20 times....that's what it is like listening to these dictations.
Now, I found it HARDER to find a job than as a new nurse. In fact, it is impossible.....unless you start at the bottom of the totem pole maybe in a hospital. My goal was to work from home....
I am not working as a med transcriptionist because I couldn't find work...but, I haven't really tried as hard as I could have.
I sent my resume to around 200 companies...only got 3 responses...2 no's and 1 yes, for a medical proofer that only paid around 10 cents a line...that fell through because the hospital they were going to hire me for backed out. Never heard from them again.
I think med transcription could be a great way to go...I never got "into it" because I have 2 kids under 3 and am really busy with them.
Good luck. I hope this helps.
Bridget
Thank you Bridget for the info. I'm just wondering if you really have to do the certification or whatever it was. We as nurses should have the necessary knowledge right? We know all of the medical terminology already. As long as you can type...... Is there something in the online course that you have to learn that we don't already know as nurses?
Rosita

Keene, NH

#141 Feb 18, 2011
OK, I have a friend, who is an excellent nurse in Bakersfield, CA and she has been discriminated against by the same Nursing Board, who licensed her! She was wrongfully accused of so much illegal activity, Board took WRONGFULLY took her license, she was acquitted of all FALSE accusations, and still doesn't have her license back. CALIFORNIA is so CORRUPT it makes my hair stand! I think the world could be a better place without this department. We're losing good RN's to Board's NEGLIGENCE AND CORRUPTION! I say, let's save the tax payers some serious money and get rid of them! Anyone with me????
Perfectionfit

United States

#142 Feb 18, 2011
I can also relate. My license was revoked three years ago do to an address change but I had an attorney representing me and they should of served him not me! This is how they back door us nurses. I have filed a lawsuit against board of nursing. Anyone who wants to jump on board and I can turn this into a class action suit please contact me. It must be in California though! Pleading your case in front of boards does no good! They "black balled me!" I would love to see nursing boards done away with altogether. They are not for nurses they destroy and ruin nurses on allegations alone, no facts! Please write me at csarmstrong40@yahoo.com Carrie
Bridget Knowlton

Pinellas Park, FL

#143 Feb 18, 2011
fairydragnfly wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Bridget for the info. I'm just wondering if you really have to do the certification or whatever it was. We as nurses should have the necessary knowledge right? We know all of the medical terminology already. As long as you can type...... Is there something in the online course that you have to learn that we don't already know as nurses?
I guess mostly it is the formatting. Knowing the different formatting that different facilities follow. Also, I found it difficult to transcribe for specialties I knew little about...my most annoying was ophthalmology. I just now had to google how to spell the dang word. Also, getting used to hearing crappy verbiage and getting it on paper correctly. Chinese is the hardest. They like to throw in chinese words here and there.

It really isn't hard, only tedious...perfect grammar and spelling is of utmost importance. You could be "dropped" (fired) quicker than heck if a facility notices inaccurate info. Don't downplay the MT....you are the one writing the WRITTEN WORD of the doc. If you mistype doses, or lab values, you could be liable. I feel MT is just as important as the RN....

You won't land a job unless you have CMT after your name. It is something like a "boards" test.

When you graduate from an accredited college you are an RMT...which is me.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Bridget

Pinellas Park, FL

#144 Feb 18, 2011
Perfectionfit wrote:
I can also relate. My license was revoked three years ago do to an address change but I had an attorney representing me and they should of served him not me! This is how they back door us nurses. I have filed a lawsuit against board of nursing. Anyone who wants to jump on board and I can turn this into a class action suit please contact me. It must be in California though! Pleading your case in front of boards does no good! They "black balled me!" I would love to see nursing boards done away with altogether. They are not for nurses they destroy and ruin nurses on allegations alone, no facts! Please write me at csarmstrong40@yahoo.com Carrie
I know of one Libertarian who is fighting to get "big government" out of all of the boards...medical, nursing, physical therapy, etc. I think that may be the key...is to get the government out of our junk and just have a private company oversee the board issues. His name is Neal Boortz....I haven't checked his website, but I did hear him discuss that this would help take some of the power out of these boards.

I wonder if California is so miserable to work with because of unions. Do they hate unions? Interesting how the nurse rights have shifted from labor issues to board issues!

Good luck.

Bridget
dont waste your time

San Diego, CA

#145 Feb 18, 2011
One thing to remember if you have had your nursing license revoked or surrendered it: Your name will be reported to the OIG Federal exclusions list. This means that you can never work for a facility that accepts federal funding (i.e. Medicare/Medicaid) or any company that provides goods/services to a facility that accepts federal funding. You not only are banned from working as a healthcare provider, but you will not be hirable in ANY occupational capacity. Janitor, transcriptionist, lab tech, secretary. You can not work for a medical supply company or as an office manager for a private office. It doesn't matter if you deliberately embezzled money from the government (which is why the list was formed) but includes voluntary surrenders for people suffering from the disease of addiction. If you default on your student loans, your name is on this list. Can you think of any provider outside of cosmetic surgery that doesn't accept a single dollar of federal money? Even if you have no intention of ever working as a nurse or in patient care again, there is virtually no way to get your name off this list unless you get relicensed. It's a dirty little secret you may find out the hard way. Your goal of working as a medical transcriptionist may be totally unattainable. I would make damn sure you are not on this list before trying to pursue a different avenue in healthcare.
concerned Redding Ca

AOL

#147 Feb 19, 2011
Perfectionfit wrote:
The problem with the BRN is that they are so inundated with cases that they are unable to do a comprehensive investigation. This is very unfortunate for most of the individuals who are getting persecuted for punitive charges that really don't relate to the functions and duties of the RN. They do have an important responsibility to maintain integrity in the field of nursing.I want to see them be fair and just and not rigid in their proposal of discipline. For instance, requiring an individual with one alcohol related misdemeanor to go through an extensive rehabilitation program. I do believe that they are starting to see that and are considering alternatives. It requires us individuals to stand up for ourselves and give a good representation. This process is very intimidating, but imperative for us present a dispute. Very diplomatically, ofcourse. Be humble!! Class action is not out of the question! It may be the only way to evoke change in the system that has the potential to ruin you!

Location hidden

#148 Feb 21, 2011
I am an R>N> and practiced in Arizona 4 years plus. this board, unlike any other, is a bunch of Nazi's. they will screw you over in a minute, be very careful in that state

Pinellas Park, FL

#149 Feb 21, 2011
dont waste your time wrote:
One thing to remember if you have had your nursing license revoked or surrendered it: Your name will be reported to the OIG Federal exclusions list. This means that you can never work for a facility that accepts federal funding (i.e. Medicare/Medicaid) or any company that provides goods/services to a facility that accepts federal funding. You not only are banned from working as a healthcare provider, but you will not be hirable in ANY occupational capacity. Janitor, transcriptionist, lab tech, secretary. You can not work for a medical supply company or as an office manager for a private office. It doesn't matter if you deliberately embezzled money from the government (which is why the list was formed) but includes voluntary surrenders for people suffering from the disease of addiction. If you default on your student loans, your name is on this list. Can you think of any provider outside of cosmetic surgery that doesn't accept a single dollar of federal money? Even if you have no intention of ever working as a nurse or in patient care again, there is virtually no way to get your name off this list unless you get relicensed. It's a dirty little secret you may find out the hard way. Your goal of working as a medical transcriptionist may be totally unattainable. I would make damn sure you are not on this list before trying to pursue a different avenue in healthcare.
Again, how is it that the government is involved in this? I don't get it...it's an occupation....I really wonder why I chose this profession! Thanks for the valuable info!

Bridget
Mitchell Houston Tx

United States

#150 Feb 23, 2011
Understand nurse!! All of this mess has to do with the new laws nationally, not by state. All healthcare organizations are subject to being penalized for hiring anyone with class b misdemeanors or worse. They claim they have seen an increase in malpractice lawsuits and the hospitals blame it on nurses. Recently my license was subject to disciplinary actions but while the board allows me to practice, the LiveScan FBI background check throws the red flag which gives scares healthcare org not to hire us. This was because of the republicans who are looking out for the big money business with the lobbyists paying the congressmen.

Pinellas Park, FL

#151 Feb 23, 2011
Mitchell Houston Tx wrote:
Understand nurse!! All of this mess has to do with the new laws nationally, not by state. All healthcare organizations are subject to being penalized for hiring anyone with class b misdemeanors or worse. They claim they have seen an increase in malpractice lawsuits and the hospitals blame it on nurses. Recently my license was subject to disciplinary actions but while the board allows me to practice, the LiveScan FBI background check throws the red flag which gives scares healthcare org not to hire us. This was because of the republicans who are looking out for the big money business with the lobbyists paying the congressmen.
Your last sentence is way too general for me. What do you mean by "...the republicans who are looking out for the big money business with the lobbyists...." What republicans? What money business? Which lobbyists? Which congressmen? Please elaborate.

Thanks.

Bridget
Mitchell

United States

#152 Feb 24, 2011
Bridget2cool wrote:
<quoted text>
Your last sentence is way too general for me. What do you mean by "...the republicans who are looking out for the big money business with the lobbyists...." What republicans? What money business? Which lobbyists? Which congressmen? Please elaborate.
Thanks.
Bridget
Understand Bridget, obviously this law exists because people believe that healthcare providers who have prior misdemeanor criminal histories are threats to the disabled, elderly, or children, despite their crimes not involving those persons. This law exists because people where hired at healthcare facilities with felonies/misdemeanors for assault, sexual assault and advances, bodily injuries. It is no secret that different medical entities have lobbyists who persuade politicians to pass legislation that would prevent lawsuits and help change the public's view of how they ignore serious problems in healthcare. A class b terrorist threat 10 years ago to an ex-boyfriend who lied to you, shouldnt prevent a good nurse or doctor from working. Republicans are concerned with big businesses making money and not with individuals who have made errors in their lives and dont have enough money to expunge/seal/hide them. Understand that this is not something that they're are going to write a textbook about. Recognize that it is for financial reasons more than anything that paying a lawyer to have records cleared and paying courts to release the data is another way to prevent a convict from seeking recourse or proving himself innocent or at least demonstrating that his errors are not lifelong. Most people havent been CAUGHT for some of the same misdemeanors/crimes. I hope this is elaborate enough for you. If you would like I can direct you to some websites where people with minor offenses were not given a chance to obtain work and take care of themselves and their families which later have resulted in their committing worse crimes when before they would have been willing to work hard and prove themselves worthy of being responsible. Worse, some people were in school to become nurses or doctors and found out after the government paid for their education that they couldnt work in that field. I have contacted my Governor and different State Congressmen over the years to no avail. Lucky for me I have family who are helpful and understand who I am and why I was accused and taunted by ex-boyfriend and teased by his new girlfriend. Sure I was angry when it happened but I continued to work without any flaws until that bill was passed. I had ended that relationship and moved on in my life, bought a house and was engaged to someone else when this came up again. So surely you should understand that people in our government are not recognizing the detriments being done to healthcare and the lack of personnel. Some extreme crimes I can understand but unfair is unfair.
dont waste your time

San Diego, CA

#153 Feb 24, 2011
If you think that's unfair, I have never been arrested, convicted or even accused of any crime, nor had anything more than a speeding ticket on my record. I simply told my manager that I was having a problem with substance abuse that happened once in my life over ten years ago. I did the right thing and am still being punished for it years later. I've been told that administrative law is far different from criminal law...no statutes of limitations apply, no judicial process, heck...even if you go to court and an administrative judge decides that you should be relicensed without restriction the Board can simply ignore that and impose ANY disciplinary action it wants! Absurd.
Sad to be leaving

Slidell, LA

#154 Feb 24, 2011
I recently surrendered my license to the board of nursing in the state ot Louisiana. While trying to restrain a drunk he stated i assaulted him, after he went to administration that morning they decided to have the security guard write me up. The board lead me to believe that i would be able to work in an non-clinicial environment after my pyschological evaluation. My evaluation stated i was no threat to immediate patient safety but the board refuses to re-enstate my license with restrictions. This has ruined my life. Nursing is all I have ever done. It has been my life for 24 years as an RN and 9 years before that as an aide. It is so sad that our profession has come down to dollars and cents. We as nurses have always gotten the worse end of the deal. Doctors gets lavish appreciation parties and gifts. We get ice cream social and pencils. Their families get their deductibles written off and we have to pay a co-pay. I have seen so much deceit and dihonestly in this business that hollywood can't compete. I'm throwing the towel in, I have no more fight left. No matter how many holidays you give up,funerals you miss to work, school plays, etc., you will never be appreciated for the sacrifices. This is farewell from a nurse's spirit that has been killed by it"s board of nursing. To the person at the board who told me when I asked how can I afford to pay for the fines imposed, stated "people some how figure out how to get it done", remember the person to save your life will proably will be a nurse not a doctor.
Mitchell

United States

#155 Feb 24, 2011
Hey, Sad to be Leaving. Hit me up on my email. I have an idea. shellywell@yahoo.com
concerned Redding Ca

AOL

#156 Feb 26, 2011
Bay area CA RN wrote:
Hi concerned Redding Ca RN, any chance we can speak/email. I am an RN (california) with one dui. I havent reported to the board yet since my license is not due for renewal until Aug 2011. I have had a consultation with an administrave lawyer and will use him for the boards. However, i would like to speak with RN's who have been in the same situation as me. I am very scared for my RN license and dealing with the boards so any recommendations are very appreciated.
Hi yes I would be glad to speak to you...I certainly have been through it//don't be scared///I can help shed some light on the subject so you can better understand what you are up against. Just keep your head up and be ready to defend yourself. Terspenc5@aol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chandler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New recorded gangs in Arizona.... (Jun '07) Fri FELZMHC 2,000
work for nurses with stipulations on their license (Oct '13) Thu marc 2
Review: Edythe Kelly & Associates State Farm Co... Jul 1 Cathy Amburgy 1
News Shooting on Galveston Street, Chandler, Az (May '10) Jun 24 sscx3 54
SBIG TKG, LLC / AUV INTERNATIONAL / MICHAEL VER... Jun 22 mlm 1
---question about someone originally from Chand... (Jul '13) Jun 19 Craig 6
Michael Vertanen / AUV International / Vertanen... Jun 17 zlog 1
More from around the web

Chandler People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE