“Nurses undergoing state board.”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#115 Dec 27, 2010
Employer retaliation wrote:
I am a multi-skilled nurse with experience in many departments. I was constantly being floated to all units and only me, no-one was taking turns as their policy stated. When I spoke up, I recevied no suport from management and that same day I was floated, yet again. This became a daily routine and I never knew where I was going to work that day. After multiple complaints and going up the chain of command, I felt that they were very angry at me and after three years of employment they retaliated and reported me to the board. Now I have an open investigation and like the person above am spending alot of money on lawyers. Lesson learned, don't let your employer know about all your skills because they will use you and abuse you and then spit you out without a care for your future or finances.
I am interested in hearing more about your story. Please contact me lawrencerita511@gmail.com Good for you for standing up for yourself! Don't be dis-empowered by their tactics - that's learned helplessness. Keep your chin up!
Rita.
Linda

Omaha, NE

#116 Dec 28, 2010
I would like to see the law changed. Because we are adjudicated under "administrative" law. Do you realise that professional nurses don't have the same rights as a criminal? In a criminal court we are able to see our accusors and to cross examing them. Additionally are you aware of the fact that you (the accused) nurse cannot see any of the evidence against you. In criminal law there would be discovery, thus allowing a nurse to build a defense case.
broken nurse

Lexington, KY

#117 Dec 28, 2010
mark ohio wrote:
recently i was charged with OVI in ohio and somebody turned me in to board. the board is notinterested in helping at all, just in discipline
What is an OVI?
NurseAttorney

San Diego, CA

#118 Dec 28, 2010
Dear Linda,

Many people are under the same mistaken impression that you are regarding nurses' rights. I haven't checked the law in MO, but in NV and CA nurses do have "DUE PROCESS" rights and are able to see the investigation file and any evidence against the nurse. However, this right only kicks in after a formal Complaint by the Board or State has been filed. It does not apply when a complaint to the board has been reported by an agency or person and the Board is in the process of just investigating the complaint. Also, if a formal Complaint is issued, nurses have the right to a public hearing and are able to cross examine witnesses or present evidence in support of their defense. Most nurses opt to settle the matter before the Board issues a formal complaint, or else they are not aware of their rights that once the Board or State files a Complaint against the nurse, the nurse is entitled to request a copy of the investigation file. As an aside, people who are being investigated re: a crime are also not entitled to see evidence against them. It is only after actual criminal charges are filed they are entitled to see what evidence the prosecution has against them.
broken nurse

Lexington, KY

#119 Dec 28, 2010
I would like to know as someone asked earlier, what kind of jobs/fields are some of you doing after you are out of nursing? Any suggestions??
oneofthegoodones

Hermitage, PA

#120 Dec 31, 2010
I WAS one of the good ones; that was until the board of nursing in Ohio backed me into a corner and made me surrender my license. I was arrested 10 years ago for possesion; however I was never convicted. The board sent one of their reps. prior to me going to court and stated I had no other choices. Had I known then what I know now I would have never given it up. Now I am trying to fight to get it back. There are many nurses out there, but few like myself are true patient advocates. I was a good nurse, and did TRULEY care about the people I cared for.
broken nurse

Lexington, KY

#121 Jan 2, 2011
oneofthegoodones, I'm just curious, are you working now and if so what kind of work are you doing?

Location hidden

#122 Jan 3, 2011
broken nurse wrote:
oneofthegoodones, I'm just curious, are you working now and if so what kind of work are you doing?
Please contact me at lawrencerita511@gmail.com

Location hidden

#123 Jan 3, 2011
concerned Redding Ca wrote:
<quoted text>
HI Rita, I attempted to go to your website, but it comes up not found. I got a DUI in Nov 2008. It is now Dec 2010 and still not resolved with the Board. Believe me I have fought and fought and it may have done some good. I recieved a deal, Rule out substance abuse assessment. Where I would have to see a Psych/addictionologist and a physical exam to rule out sub. abuse and won't have to do the meetings and testing if all checks out (which it will) one Dui does not mean a person is an alcoholic!! And if you have any sense at all you wouldn't look at your car after drinking alcohol! I have no desire to put myself through any of that again and risk losing everything that I have worked hard for!! I think that offer sounds pretty reasonable, don't you? Why would a governmental agency want to restrict someone so bad where they are not even employable, in many cases without probable cause!(A single DUI in a lifetime) They really should be more investigative and not so black and white. This thing ruins peoples lives!! The discipline should absolutly be warrented if it is implemented.
Sorry to hear about your predicament and how petty it is to have a DUI linked to your nursing license. I do not believe that a person is an alcoholic because of taking a drink any more than you do and they know that too! YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY MUST GET AN ATTORNEY. DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE AT THE STATE BOARD OF REGISTERED NURSING AND COMMUNICATE ONLY THROUGH A LAWYER.
You may contact me at lawrencerita511@gmail.com

Location hidden

#124 Jan 3, 2011
nursetx wrote:
I recently put my head down at work and was reported by my house supervisor to the ICU manager that I was asleep. This occured during the nightshift. I was then terminated a couple of days later. I was told by the CNO that I am going under peer review. What is this process like? Do I have to worry about losing my license? Can I lose my license for this. I was not asleep. I'm scared I don't want to lose my license. Someone please provide me with some advice..Thank u..
DO NOT TALK WITH ANY REPRESENTATIVE FROM THE STATE BOARD OF NURSING WITHOUT A LAWYER. EVEN IF SOMETHING HAS COME UP AT WORK YOU MUST CONTACT AN EMPLOYMENT LAWYER. MAKE SURE THAT EVERYTHING IS DOCUMENTED - EVERY PHONE CALL AND CONVERSATION. MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT PUT YOURSELF AT RISK.
Contact me at lawrencerita511@gmail.com

Location hidden

#125 Jan 3, 2011
geez wrote:
<quoted text>
i totally agree, i too was arrested for a DUI charge and still waiting for the trial, in any case its so unfair what the CA BON does to nurses for even one time DUI conviction, probation, drug tests, all the crap that they require makes one feel like a felon. one time DUI charge has nothing to do with a nurse professional conduct or anything to do with a nurse capacity or safety to practice as a nurse. California business and professional code prohibits discipline based on a criminal conviction unless the crime is substantially related to the qualifications,functions, or duties of the business or profession cal code 490 b. A unprofessional conduct requires more than one alcohol related misdemeanor conviction to be valid

Location hidden

#126 Jan 3, 2011
Guilty by Association wrote:
A colleage of mine had a complaint sent to the arizona state board of nursing. The hospital missed to leave my name out of it (as they did all other 20 nurses) and as a result an investigation was opened on me. My college was being accussed of narcotic waste errors. Being that I worked closely with this nurse, I wasted hundreds of narcotics. When I received the letter from the board I found out it was the Arizona State Board of Nursing who opened the complaint. I was outraged, why not open an investigation on all the many nurses that wasted narcotics? To make a long story short I spent alot of money on a lawyer and the board had every peice of paper you can imagine from previous employers. This caused me a great deal of stress, I couldn't sleep and it took 6 to 8 months to resolve. Because I had excellent evaluations from all previous employers I was given a decree of censure. I was going for the dismmissal. It's not fair. I hate the board.
julilan

Greenville, NC

#127 Jan 6, 2011
i've been in the process of returning to nursing for 3 years now. north carolina board of nursing has absolute power and answer to no. i lost my nurses licenst r/t dwi. i never had any issues with my actual practice a a nurse. i have got my license back, but with so many restrictions it makes getting a job very difficult. none of the restrictions are relavant to me. i can't work nites (i always worked nites) i cant dispense narcs(i never diverted) i can't work specialty units (never had any issues with that) this is just a few of the unreasonalble requirements of the ncbon i am being punished by the north carolina justice system for the dwi and being punished by the ncbon for the same offense. it's not fair. i am definitely interested in a class action law suit against the ncbon. my email address is countjule@hotmail.com anybody on the same page. suffering the same injustices? please reply
Mickey

Fort Worth, TX

#128 Jan 9, 2011
To state that the Arizona Board of Nursing is "conservative" is a great misnomer! They are actually a basket full non-caring NAZIS! Their "findings of facts" are often a "distortion" bending the outlook in the worse light plausible for the nurse who can neither question or appeal to the GREAT OZ and their omnipotent view on their grand stand.... They are in fact "The Nurse GOD" in their prejudice, repugnant, and narrow minds. If the State stopped funding this organization then perhaps the countries suing this state over their immigration policy with Obama's approval would be less apt to do so. Indeed, less focus on destroying a nurses career and livelihood and more focus on the liberal gun laws are in order after the recent events. This STATE is an eyesore, a blight on the USA!
broken nurse

Lexington, KY

#129 Jan 10, 2011
I am considering getting out of nursing for good but I have no idea what other type of job I would like to do. Just curious, to those of you who have gotten out of nursing by choice or forced out by the board of nursing, what type of work are you doing now?
Bridget Knowlton

Pinellas Park, FL

#130 Jan 14, 2011
nurse 100 wrote:
what are some of you considering to do after nursing?Any advice?
Consider medical transcription...
N esau

Cabot, AR

#131 Jan 25, 2011
I am on probation since june 2010. I missed the first screening due to no phone. got a letter of repremand. I tested negative every month until december. In december I had a migraine that did not go away for 3 days. my friend offered me a vicodin and I took it. It is the only type of medication I have ever taken like that to date. Three days later i was called and tested positive. Is there anything I can do I have child support to pay. I realize it was a bad choice but i didnt have the money to go to the doctor for medicine. It was so bad i vomited all three days from the pain. I was not working as a nurse at that time. I got my nursing job back in january but, I fear I wil lose it due to further disciplinary actions by the board. I need advice on what to do.
Lulu

Brea, CA

#132 Feb 3, 2011
N esau wrote:
I am on probation since june 2010. I missed the first screening due to no phone. got a letter of repremand. I tested negative every month until december. In december I had a migraine that did not go away for 3 days. my friend offered me a vicodin and I took it. It is the only type of medication I have ever taken like that to date. Three days later i was called and tested positive. Is there anything I can do I
have child support to pay. I realize it was a bad choice but i didnt have the money to go
to the doctor for medicine. It was so bad i vomited all three days from the pain. I was
not working as a nurse at that time. I got my nursing job back in january but, I fear I wil lose it due to further disciplinary actions by the board. I need advice on what to do.
Ok sorry. Don't mean to be rude. But if you vomiting from the pain then how did you keep the pill down?
concerned Redding Ca

AOL

#134 Feb 12, 2011
It seems surreal the prosecution and persecution that a board can inflict on someone. One DUI should not carry over into your career and take away your security. I mean the criminal justice system does a fine job of punishing, don't you think? With the absence of alcoholism and any work place issues, a warning should be given. If there is truly a problem then by all means the board should monitor that person. How much should one have to pay for a single mistake that had no bearing on their career? Every state is alittle different, but I see the same pattern. I know that here in California there have been individual cases who have appealled the BRN discipline to the supreme court, and not only got the case dropped, but the BRN had to pay her costs up to 7K! Wonderful victory! A class action would be a good move for the nurses who are seriously not a threat to public safety and don't deserve to have their careers jeopardized because of those terrible restrictions. Understand that the boards have an important job to maintain integrity in this feild. There is great potential for abuse with the privileges we are given. So be humble!
julilan wrote:
i've been in the process of returning to nursing for 3 years now. north carolina board of nursing has absolute power and answer to no. i lost my nurses licenst r/t dwi. i never had any issues with my actual practice a a nurse. i have got my license back, but with so many restrictions it makes getting a job very difficult. none of the restrictions are relavant to me. i can't work nites (i always worked nites) i cant dispense narcs(i never diverted) i can't work specialty units (never had any issues with that) this is just a few of the unreasonalble requirements of the ncbon i am being punished by the north carolina justice system for the dwi and being punished by the ncbon for the same offense. it's not fair. i am definitely interested in a class action law suit against the ncbon. my email address is countjule@hotmail.com anybody on the same page. suffering the same injustices? please reply
Bay area CA RN

Oakland, CA

#135 Feb 13, 2011
Hi concerned Redding Ca RN, any chance we can speak/email. I am an RN (california) with one dui. I havent reported to the board yet since my license is not due for renewal until Aug 2011. I have had a consultation with an administrave lawyer and will use him for the boards. However, i would like to speak with RN's who have been in the same situation as me. I am very scared for my RN license and dealing with the boards so any recommendations are very appreciated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chandler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
south side mesa (Sep '08) 21 hr bunkdog 112
Tributes to My Wife (Dec '13) Fri nerd82 4
Powerful Lobbying firm to host fundraiser for L... Fri Henu 10
New recorded gangs in Arizona.... (Jun '07) Dec 25 your mum 1,949
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee-Stalling problems! (Feb '08) Dec 24 Ree 311
Jodi Arias (Jan '13) Dec 24 cooc 256
Rosemary Vogel Dec 23 Paul 1
Chandler Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web