Comments
721 - 740 of 2,110 Comments Last updated Yesterday
Langata145

London, UK

#757 May 9, 2012
Hi Banderson1,
I think your best step is to contact a lawyer who specializes in license law. Ask for a consultation and see if you can get a temporary reinstatement. I am not sure about handing over your license demand versus standing up for your legal rights? Rita
Arizona City Gone Gone

Calvert City, KY

#758 May 9, 2012
Arizona City is Turning into Cairo 'Kayro'
Lynn in LA

New Iberia, LA

#759 May 10, 2012
banderson1 wrote:
Hi, has anybody out there had a dui? I had my first dui recently and voluntarily surrendered my license. The nursing board let me work for nine months after I notified them of my dui. It's been six months since I surrendered the license and they are still reviewing my case. I don't know what any of it means. If you have insight, could you email me at beverlienanderson@yahoo.com--T hanks.
You should call Leichter law firm in Texas for a consultation. I read several blogs where they won many cases for nurses. Also for reference, Slote law firm in CA got a DUI overturned for a nurse. Check that out. Hope this helps! Good luck!!
Cindy - Mass

Worcester, MA

#760 May 14, 2012
Anybody out there from Mass??? It's no different here. Someone needs to police them because they are living in the dark ages with the outrageous punishment. Yes - a person with one DUI should not be forced to be in a 5 year program with a group of hard core IV drug users and crack-heads 5 nights/week. Same for someone who had a drug issue ten years ago.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#761 May 15, 2012
(from my hospice bed......ya, right).

Low and behold, i went into remission, then had chemo later on and have been totally cancer free for almost 5 years.

Got my nursing license back, with a discipline. Even though absolutely EVERYTHING was proven and documented. Even a letter from IPN showing that i was NOT asked to attend because psychiatrist evaluated me and he looked into the prescription, himself. I also did hair drug screening for SIX straight YEARS and even took and passed a polygraph!!!

Anyway, here I am.......healthy, happy and UNEMPLOYED. I cant even get an interview.

Can anyone recommend anything? If they would just READ the damned discipline information they would see it......but I cannot get passed the front door in most places, those I can cant get rid of me fast enough when they discover the discipline.

Im desperate and I need to work. Anyone have any ideas? I am a GREAT nurse, with awesome people skills and many, MANY years of acute care experience........but nobody seems to care about that part....

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#762 May 15, 2012
Crap. That somehow got cut waaaaaaay off.
I have a discipline on my license; last day of work I passed out and tested positive for Vicodin (had been in strange, intractable pain for months and was prescribed it.....turned out to be misdiagnosed stage 4 cancer, after failing the drug screen I immediately send a copy of that prescription to my boss and the board, but was in HOSPICE within a week). Anyone can read it and find that A) I was never required to go to IPN, B). I took and passed a polygraph, C). I had a LEGAL prescription that was validated BY THE BOARD.......with in a week I was in hospice and thought I would die...so why would I have even bothered to fight it? I really was sick, never so sick in my life......I actually wanted to die, just to get rid of that pain.
Anyway, and sorry about this being CUT off..My entire point is that I am in dire straights of employment. Can anyone tell me where, how, what to do?
suki

Phoenix, AZ

#763 May 15, 2012
NorthDakotaNurse wrote:
Crap. That somehow got cut waaaaaaay off.
I have a discipline on my license; last day of work I passed out and tested positive for Vicodin (had been in strange, intractable pain for months and was prescribed it.....turned out to be misdiagnosed stage 4 cancer, after failing the drug screen I immediately send a copy of that prescription to my boss and the board, but was in HOSPICE within a week). Anyone can read it and find that A) I was never required to go to IPN, B). I took and passed a polygraph, C). I had a LEGAL prescription that was validated BY THE BOARD.......with in a week I was in hospice and thought I would die...so why would I have even bothered to fight it? I really was sick, never so sick in my life......I actually wanted to die, just to get rid of that pain.
Anyway, and sorry about this being CUT off..My entire point is that I am in dire straights of employment. Can anyone tell me where, how, what to do?
Go to Nurseup.com or google Andrew Lopez rn, he is a nurse advocate that has a lot of resources for nurses fighting for their license and has info that may help you and many other nurses out there need in these troubling messed up times. It appears State Boards of Nursing in pretty much all the states are really pulling some dirty deeds. He is working hard to collect info to help nurses.
Exactly WHAT did I steal

United States

#764 May 18, 2012
"Anybody out there from Mass??? It's no different here...."
I agree with part of this statement. I agree that a person with a DUI for ALCOHOL needs to be separated from people using marijuana, cocaine, heroin, etc., because alcohol is legal. With the illegal drugs, there are other issues involved, esp. when patients were stolen from. Unless a nurse stole alcohol from a patient (possible, but I doubt the majority of the alcohol cases are due to that) then the nurses with alcohol convictions should be separated from the drug users.
If a nurse had a drug issue ten years ago, then, sorry, you've returned to something illegal, AND you should know better. That's a completely different issue than alcohol usage, again, due to the legality of alcohol.
I took a class about Illegal Drugs, and the phrase "SHOMADIP" was used. It means:
Stimulants Hallucinogens Opiates Marijuana
Alcohol Depressants Inhalants Phencyclidines
which all have different effects. I think we can all agree that a nurse using hallucinogens or PCP, etc. needs much different treatment than a nurse who had one "too many". Consider the following example:
I was at a Mother's Day brunch recently, and I saw a woman who had two mimosas. After the second one, she became more animated and it was obvious she was enjoying herself. I hope she was okay on her drive home, and while I had one mimosa and went to a movie right after the brunch, I did wonder about her... and I think a nurse who did something like that shouldn't be thrown in with drug users. It would be like sending an errant housecat into a den of lions. I wonder if the boards could be sued for exposing nurses to risk if our homes are burglarized by people wanting money or things to sell to get money for their illegal drugs? After all, if a drug user at the meeting found out that a nurse lives alone... and of course wasn't home at the time of the meeting, all it would take is a simple text from the drug user's phone while they were in the ladies' room on a break, & another user could break in.
mollystacy

Norristown, PA

#765 May 23, 2012
I have had it, lost my license over 7 years ago. I don't remember what I signed, but whatever it was got me into this mess. I just wrote to my governor in PA and I think we should all write to our governors, since they run the board.
Page 1
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett
I need help and it has to do with the Board of Nursing. I had a DUI over 7.5 years ago. Apparently I signed a paper stating I had no control over my drinking, or something to that effect. I would have never signed that but I believe all these papers were put in from of me and I just signed without being careful. I started to attend the AA meetings, group meetings and all the while I felt these didnít pertain to me. I did this out of fear.
I have lost my license and cannot make any money. I have been been a caregiver for over four years now. I see nurses stealing pills, I do not take drugs! I do drink but with my hours now, I just canít.
Why isnít there a statute of limitations? I have never had a DUI and will never go through that
Page 2
again. I was stupid and never knew my nursing license would be taken. The two psychiatrists at Temple Hospital were very smooth with the paper work. I was scared and thought I needed to follow all rules.
I could see losing my license if I were on the job, but I was on my own time, it wasnít right but I was grieving over a person who died.
During the time of the meetings, I had to have two total knee replacements.
I want to do some form of nursing and if you look at the web site about nurses having their license taken, you would see the remarks. This isnít funny. I am 64, and not about to start the program over. I paid for so many urine testsÖ.went to AA meetings, I felt were just a waste to me. I believe I was so stupid that I just didnít read all the papers I signed. Thatís my fault! I only became a nurse in
Page 3
1995 prior to that I taught school. Then I had a daughter who became diabetic at 14 months. If such a drunk, how did I handle that?
Could you please set up a hearing for me? Is there any way out of this? The rules of the board have to be changed. I have seen nurses stuff pills into their pockets and yet they have a job. They work together to steal the narcotics!!
I hope someone there can answer my question. The Board of Nursing is a complete money maker and I am out of a job, except care giving, where I make nothing.I hope someone responds to me. Iíll drive to Harrisburg and meet with anyone! There should be a statute of limitationsÖÖI had no prior record and nothing since. There are statutes in criminal cases, why not this? I am oldÖ.64 and I cannot start over.
Sincerely,
mollystacy...this is just a money maker!!!
banderson1

Decatur, GA

#766 May 23, 2012
Hey, anybody out their surrendered their license voluntarily. The board just sent me a letter stating I could apply for "reinstatement" of my license after seeing an md that specializes in addiction(got a dui) and then submit to a background check. Anybody been through this process? Is this the process a person would go through if they had a drug issue--this whole thing is new to me.
Lorraine

Bronx, NY

#767 May 24, 2012
mollystacy wrote:
I have had it, lost my license over 7 years ago. I don't remember what I signed, but whatever it was got me into this mess. I just wrote to my governor in PA and I think we should all write to our governors, since they run the board.
Page 1
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett
I need help and it has to do with the Board of Nursing. I had a DUI over 7.5 years ago. Apparently I signed a paper stating I had no control over my drinking, or something to that effect. I would have never signed that but I believe all these papers were put in from of me and I just signed without being careful. I started to attend the AA meetings, group meetings and all the while I felt these didnít pertain to me. I did this out of fear.
I have lost my license and cannot make any money. I have been been a caregiver for over four years now. I see nurses stealing pills, I do not take drugs! I do drink but with my hours now, I just canít.
Why isnít there a statute of limitations? I have never had a DUI and will never go through that
Page 2
again. I was stupid and never knew my nursing license would be taken. The two psychiatrists at Temple Hospital were very smooth with the paper work. I was scared and thought I needed to follow all rules.
I could see losing my license if I were on the job, but I was on my own time, it wasnít right but I was grieving over a person who died.
During the time of the meetings, I had to have two total knee replacements.
I want to do some form of nursing and if you look at the web site about nurses having their license taken, you would see the remarks. This isnít funny. I am 64, and not about to start the program over. I paid for so many urine testsÖ.went to AA meetings, I felt were just a waste to me. I believe I was so stupid that I just didnít read all the papers I signed. Thatís my fault! I only became a nurse in
Page 3
1995 prior to that I taught school. Then I had a daughter who became diabetic at 14 months. If such a drunk, how did I handle that?
Could you please set up a hearing for me? Is there any way out of this? The rules of the board have to be changed. I have seen nurses stuff pills into their pockets and yet they have a job. They work together to steal the narcotics!!
I hope someone there can answer my question. The Board of Nursing is a complete money maker and I am out of a job, except care giving, where I make nothing.I hope someone responds to me. Iíll drive to Harrisburg and meet with anyone! There should be a statute of limitationsÖÖI had no prior record and nothing since. There are statutes in criminal cases, why not this? I am oldÖ.64 and I cannot start over.
Sincerely,
mollystacy...this is just a money maker!!!
Hello, I am in a situation myself, did you get a response from the governor?
suki

Phoenix, AZ

#768 May 24, 2012
Nurses you need legal representation when appearing before the board. They will railroad you without it. Plus it needs to be an attorney with experience in Nursing/License type issues. So many nurses and CNAs are going through such unnecessary turmoil because of the various State Boards. Please go to Nurseup.com to see whatever resources may be out there for you. They don't teach you this stuff in school and nurses don't often have to deal with it until it is too late. You are so right, there is a difference with nurses hiding pills in their pockets!
mollystacy

Norristown, PA

#769 May 24, 2012
suki wrote:
Nurses you need legal representation when appearing before the board. They will railroad you without it. Plus it needs to be an attorney with experience in Nursing/License type issues. So many nurses and CNAs are going through such unnecessary turmoil because of the various State Boards. Please go to Nurseup.com to see whatever resources may be out there for you. They don't teach you this stuff in school and nurses don't often have to deal with it until it is too late. You are so right, there is a difference with nurses hiding pills in their pockets!
I never heard back from the governor, but only wrote to him yesterday
mollystacy

Norristown, PA

#770 May 24, 2012
I think everyone on here, no matter what the state, should write to their governors. I am just barely making it with my care giving jobs. They want you here in PA to be sober for 3 years. Fine! I can have a drink and still be sober....what is the definition of sober? I found out yesterday from the board...no drinks at all, notta. That's BS!! I would never drink before work nor at work.
Everyone, contact your governors, they run the boards. It's a huge money maker and we are now stuck! If I was drunk at work, or stole pills from work, that's way different than a DUI on my own time. I signed a paper stating that I had no control over my drinking or something to that effect and that screwed me. I should have read the paper and understood what I was signing. Having never done anything illegal, it was my first experience with the law. I should have been represented. I am so stupid!!!
suki

Phoenix, AZ

#772 May 24, 2012
mollystacy wrote:
<quoted text>
I never heard back from the governor, but only wrote to him yesterday
You and any others in that predicament need to hook up with a lot of other nurses (as well as CNAs) that get caught in that nonsense. It is a shame what is being done. There is more power in numbers to do it together. Support is needed when going through this stuff.
Lynn in LA

New Iberia, LA

#773 May 24, 2012
Another thing to note: I recently learned that the state of California has to eliminate the nurses name from the reporting agency they use after a certain period of time, however I am having difficulty finding out what reporting mechanism they use. So far California is the only state I have found that has this rule in place. Here in Louisiana, they put your disciplinary action on the "national practitioner provider databank" forever. It will never come off, even if you are reinstated. Some nurses here are trying to get something done about that. At least those of you in California have this leg up. If anyone can research this and give me more information about it for CA, I would greatly appreciate that. I would love for the nurses in CA to be able utilize that factor on their behalf, and the rest of us could use the law to promote change in our states.
Exactly WHAT did I steal

United States

#774 May 28, 2012
Lynn... CA nurses also go into the National Databank. I'm not sure what we can do in CA. Our Gov. is pretty much out to lunch; he used to be the Attorney General, where most of our problems started with the State.
Catherine

Mebane, NC

#775 Jun 1, 2012
Anyone have the name of a good NC lawyer not afraid to do the right thing?
suki

Phoenix, AZ

#776 Jun 2, 2012
Catherine wrote:
Anyone have the name of a good NC lawyer not afraid to do the right thing?
Please go to Nurseup.com or google Andrew Lopez RN. He has been working on collecting resources and various types of help for nurses in these messes. His group (or groups associated with him) are even collecting funds to assist nurses needing support.
Exactly WHAT did I steal

United States

#777 Jun 4, 2012
I'm encouraged to see people saying there is a difference between getting a DUI and stealing pills. Both are wrong, but with a DUI, there probably isn't the additional threat of dealing with organized crime, putting drugs into the hands of others, possibly overdosing whoever gets the drugs, etc.

The Boards want to put DUI's and drug thefts into the same category as "harming the public". There are thousands of people who will tell you that DUI's definitely harm the public. HOWEVER, like the woman at the Mother's Day brunch I described, there are people who probably will get one DUI and then never do that again. There's got to be some kind of statute of limitations within ALL boards for this. STEALING DRUGS is a totally separate issue. I wonder if the Boards are stealing so much money within the agencies that they just don't care about "misappropriated" or "diverted" funds or drugs. It's THEFT.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chandler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Daves Drywall Aug 28 spennyd 1
Doug Ducey leads early in Republican primary Aug 27 Sharon 1
Musician Tom DeLonge Encounters Multiple UFOs i... Aug 27 dana 2
Review: AACI Foot Leg & Ankle Care - J David Br... (Sep '08) Aug 26 Sindd 28
Ace Hardware is great Aug 24 Chillin 4
New recorded gangs in Arizona.... (Jun '07) Aug 20 yb 5oo 1,920
Dillys Deli of Chandler Jul '14 Waynesworld316 1
•••
•••
•••