how many nurses have had lost there l...
PISSED OFF

Jersey City, NJ

#279 Aug 29, 2011
this message is for " Understanding" I am OUTRAGED at all the things you have said about the board of nursing. U should and need to resign. U would do all of us nurses a BIG favor. y dont u mess up and try to get ur license back. GO TO HELL> I agree with "OUTRAGED"
screwedtoo111

New Port Richey, FL

#280 Aug 29, 2011
Exactly WHAT did I steal wrote:
Could you please rephrase that? As in, "I was an addicted nurse and I stole other people's pain medications and falsified records and lied about it. I'm lucky I'm not in prison and other people are lucky they're not dead." Because that's what your actions may have led to, "humbled".
In no way does your situation compare to a falsely accused nurse, and if staying out of nursing means I never encounter a situation like the ones you created to feed your addiction, tben so be it.
Ask yourself: Do you miss nursing, or do you miss the money? Because if PEOPLE were that important to you, you would have dealt with your injuries in an honest way, not by lying and stealing.
Humbled admitted they were humbled. You sound like judge and jury worse the the board, if thats possible.
Exactly WHAT did I steal

Fairfield, CA

#281 Aug 29, 2011
Get a clue. Humbled isn't healed. Healed is when the person takes responsibility for what they did. Don't sugarcoat it. Diverting meds is STEALING them. Tell it the way it is.

Oh, and don't "divert" attention to someone else.
Exactly WHAT did I steal

Fairfield, CA

#282 Aug 29, 2011
Here's the deal. Being "humbled" about something is NOT fixing it. It's just admitting you have a problem, kind of looking out a window and saying, "Wow, the weather's bad out there" except that the problem is INSIDE you.

Being humbled doesn't FIX the problem. I bet if RN's had to pay back the street value of what they stole and sold, they'd quit, cold turkey.

This is NOT to say that I'm on the side of any of the boards-- are you kidding? I'd love to lead a class action suit, but I can't do it with people who've actually stolen things. That weakens MY case. Don't you see how the board pits us against each other? Stealing is not teamwork.

When someone really can get together about RN's really hurting EACH OTHER, then start posting your emails, and return mine. Of course I'm angry-- but I'm not mean. I'm truly disgusted with anyone who would throw me under the BRN train because they wanted to steal a pill and snort, swallow, or liquify and inject it. Be real-- addiction is ugly, and blaming others is uglier.
alwaysmovingfowa rd

Portland, OR

#283 Aug 30, 2011
dont waste your time wrote:
If you think that's unfair, I have never been arrested, convicted or even accused of any crime, nor had anything more than a speeding ticket on my record. I simply told my manager that I was having a problem with substance abuse that happened once in my life over ten years ago. I did the right thing and am still being punished for it years later. I've been told that administrative law is far different from criminal law...no statutes of limitations apply, no judicial process, heck...even if you go to court and an administrative judge decides that you should be relicensed without restriction the Board can simply ignore that and impose ANY disciplinary action it wants! Absurd.
I turned myself in for using chemicals on the job to come clean and start a new. I was issued a 6 month suspension and 3 month supervised work time. I was working during the time. I want to get that fact taken off my record because it has been 25 years. No further incidents, worked full time. Now i am looking for a job and with so many applicants to each position, it has hampered me. I am finishing up my 4 year degree-not in nursing-but want to encorporate all those years and experience to obtain another job. lsn't it something that there is no limitation to the time that one can have their sin publically announced? When does it become a question of ethics, of clarity-because you know that many employers just see that mark and toss the ap without looking at the dates-of public safety? Can they afford to continue to punish me, even though the process is long over? Even felons get to have thier records cleared (OK not quite the same, but still)No wonder no one gets into nursing.
alwaysmovingfowa rd

Portland, OR

#284 Aug 30, 2011
Nurzkat wrote:
I wanted to know if anyone has gone before the BRN- here in CAlifornia and hat is to be expected?
I will be going before the Board for a re-instatement hearing. I have been sober for a year, and have a sponsor . I am more than willing to do the work in order to reclaim my license.
Leave me a post if you have any suggestions???
THXS---Kat
I went through this many years ago, HOORAY for you. Chemical addiction is difficult enough, but nursing adds another layer on to it.
I would suggest havng some kind of legal representation with you. I think it keeps your interests in mind when your already dealing with a lot. The fact is-we were guilty, we have done the time, here is my proof-I assume you have written letters or names to prove you went to everything-so respectfully request your license back-you will probly get a period of time that it will be a "conditional" license, 3-6 months.
i did not have a lawyer with me, and it was a mistake, beause I would have pushed to have the information removed from my record after a period of time. Now, after 25 years all free and clear and happy:) I want to get another job and SURPRISE-I still have the facts on my record. Well, you know in this economy especially, my app is tossed pretty fast.
I never thought of the future, I was very focused on living day to day and glad to be out of the hell of addiction. My argument is, why not test me periodically then? Why not continue to keep track of me if your going to mark my name and record FOREVER with my misdeeds.
I am working on it, but a lawyer told me that it is not in favor because here in mn "the board can do what they want"
I am very proud of you and what you have accomplished, as I feel a sense of companionship being a recovering nurse. Do the best you can do, be honest and really-leave the shaming to the board-don't do it to yourself, it comes from those archaic principles that nursing was founded on. No other profession would go through so much. Not to say it's ok, of course its not and if you were not chemically dep you would never have done those things. that is a very difficult concept for non CD persons to grasp. I don't blame them, they just don't know.They don't KNOW, just as
alwaysmovingfowa rd

Portland, OR

#285 Aug 30, 2011
Nurzkat wrote:
I wanted to know if anyone has gone before the BRN- here in CAlifornia and hat is to be expected?
I will be going before the Board for a re-instatement hearing. I have been sober for a year, and have a sponsor . I am more than willing to do the work in order to reclaim my license.
Leave me a post if you have any suggestions???
THXS---Kat
I had replied,but it was pulled! I would like to know why?
alwaysmovingfowa rd

Portland, OR

#286 Aug 30, 2011
from always moving foward
alwaysmovingfowa rd

Portland, OR

#287 Aug 30, 2011
Whoops, i was just impatient, I see it posted now
alwaysmovingfowa rd

Portland, OR

#288 Aug 30, 2011
name withheld wrote:
<quoted text>
I recommend that you accept their diversion program. Although my case is not a dui, and involved a felony cocaine charge (now dropped through the criminal justice system), I opted out of diversion (I was a California RN) and chose to take the route through the courts. The experience has been a nightmare. My career is over. The Board posted my accusation on the internet, easily viewed by a click of the mouse. They have done everything they can to ruin my reputation, career, esteem, sense of security. I can't believe a class action lawsuit hasn't been filed. I'll join one if someone does. If I had entered diversion, I would be half way through by now, no record of my accusation would be on the internet and I would have been able to return to work. When I received the offer to enter diversion in the mail, I called the BRN to discuss the options I had. The board actually said I would probably have an easier time if I went through probation, so I did. I was completely misled, and now have no recourse. Two years into the process, a process of degrading hearings and no empathy, the board chose not to follow the administrative law judge's recommendation, but want to do further 'Investigation", a process that could take another year or two. I have not worked in two years and am bankrupt. I have decided to leave nursing altogether and return to University to study another field-thank god I don't have a felony. After an 18 year career, working nights, doubles, in a county facility, I make one mistake and THIS is what I get. If you value your career, go through the Diversion program.
Let me add-I have just started to look into this for myself, I don't know which route is best but I do know that it wil be on your license forever. And I would look into suing the board of nursing for taking away your livihood. Maybe? I understand, YOU MADE A MISTAKE-WOW! NO ONE HAS EVER NOT DONE THAT AND IF YOU SAY YOU HAVE NOT YOUR LYING AND LUCKY ENOUGH TO NOT BE DISCOVERED. What would give them the right to post accusations on a state web site? I like to be kind to other nurses, a practice of mine because of an old and ready to retire nurse told me to be. some have misconstrued this as being an easy mark, so I have paid a price over the years, but my concious floats free- We only have each other out there, remember that.
or, get out of it, there is life on the other side as i am positive you will discover once you are through all of the bad times. and remember-everyone makes mistakes, it's what you do with them that counts.
alwaysmovingfowa rd

Portland, OR

#289 Aug 30, 2011
Amy wrote:
<quoted text>If all the board members are like yourself...then i feel sorry for anyone who has been accused of something falsely...or a total misunderstanding...You are a true ignorant human being..may God rest your wicked soul..
I gotta add this-any one notice she actually said "you need to live out your comittment" wow, now if that doesnt speak of how the history of nursing has affected us all.
CD is a serious illness and should be taken seriously. I believe the boards of nursing are voluntary positions in many cases, and even if not, the task of judging patient safety has to be horrible.(mn farms it out to another company to help.) Especially when it has increased so much in recent years. Unfortunatley MD and nurses have 18 times greater chance of becoming CD than others in the public. This is because of availability, compunded by unreal expecttions, unkind workmates and increasing demands. It makes them no less accountable for what they do, it is part of recovery to know that, but I think the b of n need to rethink thier position on punishment and their attitude toward CD behavior. It does not ultimately keep the public safe to drive nurses away.
Exactly WHAT did I steal

United States

#290 Aug 30, 2011
There are many kinds of mistakes, but I don't believe they all carry the same weight. Not spending enough time with my parents was a mistake, but it's certainly not as bad a mistake as stealing drugs and snorting them up my nose, injecting them, and basically not being in my right mind because I wanted to be stoned, wasted, crunked, "CD" or whatever people call it nowadays. The person who did that made a decision to not be in their right mind. To purposely not be in one's right mind is a very big mistake.
Humbled

Peoria, AZ

#291 Sep 1, 2011
Exactly WHAT did I steal wrote:
Here's the deal. Being "humbled" about something is NOT fixing it. It's just admitting you have a problem, kind of looking out a window and saying, "Wow, the weather's bad out there" except that the problem is INSIDE you.
Being humbled doesn't FIX the problem. I bet if RN's had to pay back the street value of what they stole and sold, they'd quit, cold turkey.
This is NOT to say that I'm on the side of any of the boards-- are you kidding? I'd love to lead a class action suit, but I can't do it with people who've actually stolen things. That weakens MY case. Don't you see how the board pits us against each other? Stealing is not teamwork.
When someone really can get together about RN's really hurting EACH OTHER, then start posting your emails, and return mine. Of course I'm angry-- but I'm not mean. I'm truly disgusted with anyone who would throw me under the BRN train because they wanted to steal a pill and snort, swallow, or liquify and inject it. Be real-- addiction is ugly, and blaming others is uglier.
I am not sure what in my post blames others for my choices...And I will always be a recovering addict, that is something I am all to aware of and work every day from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep. I take responsibility for all of my actions. In one post you accuse me of being a "plant" for the board...I have issues , but I also have some self awareness. That is something you clearly lack. Somehow my totally unrelated issue weakens your case. Your logic is baffling. After you attacked me, I read your post...My issue has nothing to do with you. I could comment on your post, but I am not here to judge. I was mainly interested in others with similar issues. Please try to refrain from being so angry at others who have done you no harm. I believe you may benefit a great deal from some introspection. Just an observation, not a judgement.
Gloria Maloney

Roscoe, IL

#292 Sep 1, 2011
I believe that the overall theme in this blog is that the punishment should fit the offense. There is no reason that a nurse should be humiliated on the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation for the rest of their lives.

What is wrong with removing disciplinary information after five years? Everybody involved with IDPR should have to read and be examined on Victor Hugo's novel, Les Miserable. Remember Jean Valjean who stole a loaf of bread to feed his sister's hungry children during a difficult economic time and the self righteous civil servent Javert, who persued him relentlessly?

Nurses are expected to have and show compassion for others. Why don't nurses have and show compassion for each other? A nurse who takes a pain pill in order to stay on the job so that she can continue to work to feed her children should be shown compassion.

How many nurses don't have health insurance in order to take care of their own health and dental needs. Why don't we try to understand the source of a problem instead of punishing a nurse forever for a poor choice when she could see no other way to survive?
Gloria Maloney

Roscoe, IL

#293 Sep 1, 2011
The above is supposed to say "Their is no reason that a nurse should be humilated on the IDPR public web site for the rest of their lives."
screwed too

New Port Richey, FL

#294 Sep 1, 2011
Humbled wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure what in my post blames others for my choices...And I will always be a recovering addict, that is something I am all to aware of and work every day from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep. I take responsibility for all of my actions. In one post you accuse me of being a "plant" for the board...I have issues , but I also have some self awareness. That is something you clearly lack. Somehow my totally unrelated issue weakens your case. Your logic is baffling. After you attacked me, I read your post...My issue has nothing to do with you. I could comment on your post, but I am not here to judge. I was mainly interested in others with similar issues. Please try to refrain from being so angry at others who have done you no harm. I believe you may benefit a great deal from some introspection. Just an observation, not a judgement.
That one is judge and jury humbled. She asked if you miss the money. Like she would do this job for free! Like anyone on this post would.
Revoked in Cali

United States

#295 Sep 4, 2011
I have a thought that I haven't seen discussed yet. With these nursing boards putting the entire complaint process online along with the defense and punishment...doesn't it seem like some sort of HiPAA violation to have mental health issues and other disabilities stated in public?
Exactly WHAT did I steal

Fairfield, CA

#296 Sep 4, 2011
Revoked in Cali, just put an email address up and we'll discuss the HIPAA stuff privately, since the "judge and jury humbled" comment is ridiculous. I'm not going to deal with people who are thieves. "Diversion" is still stealing-- and I was set up by RN's who stole things, and at least one of them stole drugs.

That said, let's discuss a couple of posts: I've done plenty of introspection, mainly about why did I put up with bad behavior? Am I an enabler? Well, I'm going to start with not being one right here on this board.

First of all, "screwed too" your name is vulgar. And, there are PLENTY of jobs that pay way more than nursing. My post, I believe, was directed at someone who stole drugs. Many who steal drugs, sell them.

Gloria M., you self-corrected when there was no need. You were right the first time. Don't waste too much time on introspection. Rehab is such a waste of money with all those "introspectors" sitting around.

For those tiny violin playing addicts:

Introspection can be a HUGE waste of time, like when someone can't control their own body movements. "CD" can't be taken seriously because it is a CHOICE. You wake up. You decide to move your muscles to get out of bed and go get your mind-altering substance. You decide to do lots of stuff to GET something. It's something YOU WANT (not you, Gloria M., unless I haven't read that you consider yourself an uncontrollable addict). It's something that you want-- to lose control. And if you get to lose control enough... guess what? You're going to lose control of your stomach (vomit, and maybe aspirate it) your bladder, and your bowels (many narcotics cause constipation). Get real. You are deciding to be CD and I'm deciding to not enable you. I'm deciding to not put up with the smell of death that surrounds you. If you don't understand what I'm saying, go Google the Lynyrd Skynyrd song "That smell" and get the needles out of your collective arms RIGHT NOW.
Exactly WHAT did I steal

Fairfield, CA

#297 Sep 4, 2011
Hey, "Humbled", go back and actually READ the posts. I never accused you of being a plant for the board. That question was clearly directed toward the person who suggested the Diversion program as the solution to the "CD" (Cunning Druggie)problems.

Don't you see in labeling yourselves "CD", with an incurable disease,you're funding a new industry that just uses you like a drug? Are you a drug, a moneymaker for some bureaucrats, or are you an actual person, who, WITHOUT DRUGS, maybe when you were what, in grade school, were a functioning human being without chemicals? If you've simply got to do introspection, then think about when you were NOT USING DRUGS, whenever that was, and how you coped. And saying that you need pain pills to cope is a copout, especially when you're stealing them. If your body is falling apart due to nursing, then for God's sake file a worker's compensation claim and get into a field where you aren't getting torn up from a job your body can't do. We all know, without "introspection" that a big bunch of bureaucrats, who make way more than RN's, have been profiting from understaffing, not using lift teams, and pitting us against each other for decades. Why would someone steal drugs and be part of that?

Just look at the title of this thread. "how many nurses have had lost there license because of the board of nursing". Whoever wrote that wasn't "humble" (very overused word, by the way) enough to try to get it right. Let's start out with "How many nurses have lost their license because of the Board of Nursing?" shall we? Can we try to get it right? If someone says that doctors and nurses are 18 times more likely to use drugs illegally than the rest of the public, can they cite a source for that "fact"? And can the addicts just admit that they were out of control and that they DO have the capacity for self-control, if they WANT it? Think about it-- do you WANT to be addicted?
Exactly WHAT did I steal

Fairfield, CA

#298 Sep 4, 2011
I think those of you who want us NON-ADDICTS for feel sorry for you should read this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37396390/ns/healt... which clearly states that physicians are five times more at risk of using illegal substances-- not 18 times higher.

That said, I've got to get on with my day. I'm tired of enabling people. If you want to take on the BRN's of different states and get your humiliating info off the internet, then leave a phone number and I'll call you. At this point, realizing that most of these posts are from addicts, I'm not interested in wasting any more of my precious time enabling anyone in any addiction, via email. If you want to talk and you're an addict, be aware that I'll ask you if you're an addict, if I call.

BUT-- and read this carefully-- I DO want to talk to people about this. I DO want the BRN to straighten up and fly right. But I also want you to stop wanting drugs. Hiding your problem won't help you-- putting you under a microscope with the sun shining through it just burns you to a crisp... and that's wrong too. The BRN's are getting it wrong. Who WANTS to get it right? If we can, ALL of us, and I'm including the addicts, come up with a plan, and get a sympathetic senator to help, then most of us probably CAN be helped and their lives will be better. It's about what you WANT.

So leave those phone numbers, and I promise I'll come back and read this, and use my time and money & call you back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chandler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sen. Flake says GOP is 'toast' if it follows Tr... 1 hr Trump Needs To Work 15
Decadence 2018 NYE 2 hr Remi62343 1
Removing the Copper Basin HOA (Sep '09) Mon pissed off 38
New recorded gangs in Arizona.... (Jun '07) Nov 17 Knightcape 2,174
name your gangs in arizona? (Feb '16) Nov 17 Bob Finna Beat U 7
What will Christians say if being gay is scient... (Oct '07) Nov 9 jrr 6
News Jodi Arias (Jan '13) Nov 5 Skinny Pete 259

Chandler Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chandler Mortgages