how many nurses have had lost there l...
CA RN

AOL

#218 Apr 13, 2011
CA RN wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure about TN, but in Ca it took about a year to recieve the accusation from the BRN for a DUI. They are very consumed with all the accusations they recieve, so it takes awhile, but they will catch up to you. Consult with a Business and Administration Attorney who specializes with Board issues. Also, even if you are not charged with the crime, the Board could still pursue it. May just be discipline not necessarily revocation. A good laywer may be your saving grace. I know you worked hard to get where you are in Nursing what a bummer!! Lawyers are expensive...got to pick your battle.
I don't think it is a good idea to notify the Board. You have enough to worry about right now..They will notify you later in the future. You have time to build your case and gather information, so that you'll be prepared when the time comes.

Since: Feb 11

Pinellas Park, FL

#219 Apr 13, 2011
Mitchell wrote:
Bridget2cool,
Everytime I make these "generalizations" where I mention politicians or your republican party friends, you seem offended.
I would advise you to do some reading where perhaps you might grasp the effects of allowing our congress members, lawyers and judges to be pampered and persuaded by the lobbyists and big money makers in the healthcare industry. If you could read some of the postings in this forum, you might understand how the nursing boards and government allow certain previous personal life and "law enforcement" decisions to make people who happen to work in the healthcare field "victims."
There are many more unqualified people in healthcare who get away with serious mistakes that hurt the elderly and incapacitated individuals and are allowed to continue to work.
Read some statistics about the amount of lawsuits regarding those errors. There is no excuse.
My mom had to receive a total thyroidectomy because of these "professionals" reading the scans mistakenly described the wrong side. The surgeon probably never looked hard enough at it before excising it. He took the left side rather than the right and afterwards had to remove the whole thing. My nephew worked that day as the surgical technician and if he hadnt been there, we never would have known and they would have covered it up. The surgeon justified it by saying that her endocrinologist could prescribe medications which would correct "her" problem. Did you know in Texas that the most a person can receive from a malpractice lawsuit is $200,000.
I'm not the least bit offended....I want to hear names! You say "congress members, lawyers..." I want to know who you are talking about. You say there are "statistics"...well, I want to see your statistics. I believe what you are saying, but your information is of NO VALUE without names and numbers. All you are doing is throwing out generalizations! I'd also like to know where your information is coming from so that I can look it up. You have a lot of great info...where did you get it? Maybe I could use the info for personal reasons. I can't rightly say, "Mitchel on Topix told me"...right?!
reaaaaally

San Diego, CA

#220 Apr 13, 2011
"Furthermore, I believe any healthcare worker who is or might have been addicted to or even using any drug or alcohol should never be allowed to work in this industry, regardless of whether they have gone through rehab or counseling. There should be a breathalyzer at the door each time any worker clocks in. There is always the potential to relapse and risk the lives of those patients under their care."

That is a pretty strong statement Mitchell. I am incredibly sorry for the loss you have experienced and in no way is my response related to that at all. I do, however, take issue with your latter comment quoted above. Does this mean that a nurse who had a substance abuse issue 10 years ago doesn't deserve to work in health care PERIOD or just as a nurse? What if said nurse had an isolated incident (like you had an isolated incident with your terrorist threat)10 years ago and could prove to have no further issues ever again? What if said nurse never put patients in danger and even told manager on self? Do you think that nurse deserves to be banned from nursing forever? Would it surprise you that the Boards actually REQUIRE nurses in active addiction to continue working in PATIENT CARE or risk revocation? Would it surprise you that if a nurse did not think this was a good idea and decided to leave the bedside for awhile that said nurse would have to SURRENDER license? And by this action of surrender the nurse gets placed on a list that takes your "belief" one step further and BANS them from ever working in healthcare industry in any capacity for life? Not just nursing...NO...you couldn't work as a janitor, secretary, or office manager. You couldn't even work for a company that provides "goods or services" to a healthcare entity if they accept a single federal dollar from medicare/medicaid. Did you know that if you lost your license due to your "misdemeanor" that YOU are likely on this list too? Do you think you should be banned from an entire industry for ONE mistake? Well, that's exactly what you say is fair for others who might have made ONE mistake. Addiction is even covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (whether I agree or not with this is moot..it is the law) but yet the punishment and discrimination is endless. One could argue that you also could potentially have an angry outburst again and what if this happened at the bedside. I know your pain runs deep. Does one past behavior always dictate future behavior? I think not.
UnderstandingMyA rs

New Port Richey, FL

#221 Apr 15, 2011
confusednurse wrote:
I am a nurse in TN. I have a BSN and am in a MSN program currently.I was recently arrested for theft underr five hundred dollars and fraud to obtain a controlled substance. I was terminated from my job, and am awaiting my trial to see if I will be charged or not. My lawyer tells me state board of nursing of these charges, but I have heard that you shouldn't submit yourself to the TN State Board of Nursing, becasue it will be impossible to keep your licsense. My lawyer also told me that I should consider moving out of the country eventually if I want to continue being a nurse. I dont know what to do. Any advice?
Im not sure about TN. Last year I recieved a misdemeaner, the sheriff dept. faxed this info to the nursing board. Now I recieved papers from the board saying I broke some part of the practice act by not reporting plea within 30 days in writing to them..Its crazy...
rlg

Battle Creek, MI

#222 Apr 16, 2011
NurseinNE wrote:
Ok, just an overall observation....I have read through multiple entries on this site and all I can say is, wow! Some of you nurses I can kind of feel for. The Board is there to protect the public but they also need to be fair to those that it governs. Another overall generalization, although this doesn't pertain to every entry, you guys are professionals. It makes me a little nervous to think that you are taking care of people and administering narcotics when your language, your English, and your spelling is ludicrous. No wonder your charting gets audited.
\

Nice observation- Why were you on this site to begin with if you are such a perfect nurse anyways? Not to say there isn't some problems with the spelling on here but if you are such a great observationist take on like professesor of blogging.com or something! You sound like a insecure little person that just needs to respond to throw your cut in- How little and unprofessional you really are!
rlg

Battle Creek, MI

#223 Apr 16, 2011
UnderstandingMyArs wrote:
<quoted text>
Im not sure about TN. Last year I recieved a misdemeaner, the sheriff dept. faxed this info to the nursing board. Now I recieved papers from the board saying I broke some part of the practice act by not reporting plea within 30 days in writing to them..Its crazy...
You should not try to keep your license- More because if there was enough evidence to suggest your guilty it sounds like you really should seek a non professional career like waitress or something.
Michigan

Battle Creek, MI

#224 Apr 16, 2011
Mitchell wrote:
My daughter who had muscular dystrophy was taken to the Medical Center (a children's hospital) ER after she stopped breathing during a dental visit when she was two years old. Luckily they revived her. I wasnt a nurse then, but I described to the doctors that she had been diagnosed and told by her pediatrician, when I lived in Austin that she might die from respiratory failure. Despite the fact that I explained this to them, they released her anyway and in the car on the way home, she stopped breathing again. While I was performing CPR, a person who was walking by called 911 and they had to intubate her on the ground!! I was furious. I had the ambulance take her back to the hospital and the only thing they told me was that they were sorry. They sent a priest and a counselor who held my hand and all the while they looked at each other to see whether I might file a lawsuit. I told them she would have died anyway. At that time, I thought it was a relief that I never had to tell her she would die. She stayed there for 6 months and I took her home with a LP10 ventilator and a G-tube. The judge only made them pay for her home health nurses (56 hours a week) and I had to sign that I would keep this confidential. That wouldnt have happened if I had thrown away the discharge papers. They denied that we ever left. They could have named one of their new buildings using her name, but they forgot about it and I became a nurse because of it. I vowed that I would never allow any person to suffer because of medical neglect. 3 or 4 months after her death, I made a mistake and told a stalker that I would kill her if she ever came back to my home, but because I didnt have the money a decent lawyer, he advised me to accept the penalty and pay the fine. I was charged with a Terroristic Threat class B misdemeanor. Perhaps, I should have threatened those ER doctors and the judge might have given her some money in a trust or something.
Furthermore, I believe any healthcare worker who is or might have been addicted to or even using any drug or alcohol should never be allowed to work in this industry, regardless of whether they have gone through rehab or counseling. There should be a breathalyzer at the door each time any worker clocks in. There is always the potential to relapse and risk the lives of those patients under their care.
I just cant believe you work in this field and have never witnessed anything like this. I have worked in hospitals, doctor's offices and constantly witnessed their mistakes. Luckily none of them were life threatening.
By now you should get the point.
You have serious issues..... And after reading your vent sessions I hope you get some help- enough siad.
UnderstandingMyA rs

New Port Richey, FL

#225 Apr 17, 2011
rlg wrote:
<quoted text>
You should not try to keep your license- More because if there was enough evidence to suggest your guilty it sounds like you really should seek a non professional career like waitress or something.
Great idea rlg! If I am a waitress, and I come across an ass such as yourself, I just have to feed you a meal and be done with you! Much better option than dealing with you for 12 hours as a pt! You are brilliant. Thanks for the help! Why, may I ask, are you on this forum?
UnderstandingMyA rs

New Port Richey, FL

#226 Apr 17, 2011
rlg wrote:
<quoted text>\
Nice observation- Why were you on this site to begin with if you are such a perfect nurse anyways? Not to say there isn't some problems with the spelling on here but if you are such a great observationist take on like professesor of blogging.com or something! You sound like a insecure little person that just needs to respond to throw your cut in- How little and unprofessional you really are!
Look who needs to put his pointless point (cut) in! What as ass!
Mitchell

Houston, TX

#227 Apr 19, 2011
Bridget2cool wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the least bit offended....I want to hear names! You say "congress members, lawyers..." I want to know who you are talking about. You say there are "statistics"...well, I want to see your statistics. I believe what you are saying, but your information is of NO VALUE without names and numbers. All you are doing is throwing out generalizations! I'd also like to know where your information is coming from so that I can look it up. You have a lot of great info...where did you get it? Maybe I could use the info for personal reasons. I can't rightly say, "Mitchel on Topix told me"...right?!
Start here. http://nursinglaw.blogspot.com/ Let me know once you are finished reading and I will let you do your homework.
Mitchell

Houston, TX

#228 Apr 19, 2011
Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
You have serious issues..... And after reading your vent sessions I hope you get some help- enough siad.
Sorry Michigan, The way I vent is by delivering quality nursing care and not allowing my peers, administrative nursing staff, doctors, nor people in this forum to intimidate me. I was only sharing my history and allowing other people to recognize that there are nurses who remain compassionate and remember what their primary duties are despite any political/legal issues. I believe anyone who had been in my situation might have become upset and delivered the same type of outburst without any intent on carrying it out. This was years ago when I was grieving the loss of my child. Any normal person experiencing that might get angry. I would never allow this to interfere with my job duties and compromise lives. I only said it to scare that individual to not come to my home and disturb me. I am also licensed to carry a firearm. If I had been serious or felt in jeopardy she might not be alive today.

I am not afraid to admit that people are allowed to get into this profession who dont belong here regardless of their credentials. Paying for schooling and graduating doesnt always make people proficient and skilled enough play those roles in law and medical fields. It also doesnt mean that they are representing the good of this industry be it a nursing board member or governor. People get appointed into positions just because of friendship or just because their political point of views strengthens their chances in an election. Not for the greater good.

Since you seem to be a counselor, maybe you might look at a few other entries to help them out too.
Mitchell

Houston, TX

#229 Apr 19, 2011
reaaaaally wrote:
That is a pretty strong statement Mitchell. I am incredibly sorry for the loss you have experienced and in no way is my response related to that at all. I do, however, take issue with your latter comment quoted above. Does this mean that a nurse who had a substance abuse issue 10 years ago doesn't deserve to work in health care PERIOD or just as a nurse? What if said nurse had an isolated incident (like you had an isolated incident with your terrorist threat)10 years ago and could prove to have no further issues ever again? What if said nurse never put patients in danger and even told manager on self? Do you think that nurse deserves to be banned from nursing forever? Would it surprise you that the Boards actually REQUIRE nurses in active addiction to continue working in PATIENT CARE or risk revocation? Would it surprise you that if a nurse did not think this was a good idea and decided to leave the bedside for awhile that said nurse would have to SURRENDER license? And by this action of surrender the nurse gets placed on a list that takes your "belief" one step further and BANS them from ever working in healthcare industry in any capacity for life? Not just nursing...NO...you couldn't work as a janitor, secretary, or office manager. You couldn't even work for a company that provides "goods or services" to a healthcare entity if they accept a single federal dollar from medicare/medicaid. Did you know that if you lost your license due to your "misdemeanor" that YOU are likely on this list...
Perhaps it is a strong statement, but with that type of conviction, I find it appalling that the board would ever consider letting someone with any type of addiction be it food, drugs, alcohol, television, video games, hoarding, sexual. They all might allow someone to neglect a patient. People who have been addicted in one fashion or another are known to relapse. Now working as a janitor, secretary, or office manager or any other position where a medical mistake wouldnt be an issue, now that is different. I think any person who plays a leadership role in society shouldnt be allowed to drive drunk or in any way intoxicated. He/she should know better and practice good judgment.
Also, I am not on that list, but my STATE, makes it's own rules. I also believe different types or reasons for addiction should not be covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act particularly if they were self-inflicting like drugs or alcohol. Those problems an individual seeks like alcohol and drugs should not be covered. Those are life decisions that a person makes and it infuriates me that as a taxpayer I have to pay for methadone, suboxone, and all other medications supposed to help with addiction. I recognize that society is concerned that those individuals my harm other citizens but we pay for prisons and institutions for those people who continue to choose to abuse. I have worked in orthopedics for years and find people become addicted after a doctor doesnt place strict rules for medicating a patient for pain. I worked on a women's floor where patients who underwent plastic surgery were given minimal amounts of pain med to promote movement and were taught to utilize meditation techniques and breathing techniques to help cope.
Also, my outburst in anger was in fact to intimidate the person I felt was stalking me. In my firearm class, we are taught to warn or attempt to scare an individual prior to pulling our weapons. So next to a bedside, I dont feel at the bedside that I would make this decision.
RN Life ruined by Board

Phoenix, AZ

#230 Apr 21, 2011
Mrs J wrote:
There are Nurses who write up a Nurse at every job they have had. The state board protects the person who makes the complaint. This has opened the door for evil Nurses to destroy anyone they feel angry at and want revenge. It is appauling at the lack of investigation and lack of justice. Nurses who complain for there own evil gratitude should be fined heavily. The board has ruined the lives of many great Nurses. The board is aware of these serial complaints from an individual. Shame on the board for allowing this to continue and encouraging such behavior by not investigating cases appropriately.
My husband and myself were reported by an LPN at a Sun City Facility.Horrific slanderous accusations made by this LPN and her "team of Buddies". These jealous evil vindictive "people" got away with this and we are still suffering the consequences. The AZ Board of Nursing seems to prefer to sleigh the accused nurse-their motto is "guilty with burden of proof on the accused"
No med errors were made- no patient or staff were harmed. Their vindictive allegations was ridiculousness such as : my husband was rubbing my feet at the nurses station" which was false-there was a whole host of lies-that the were unsubstantiated- but it cost us dearly to fight it in court and remains and all thier UJNPROVEN slander is now public record and a compalint remains on the license-even if no discipline was taken- it ruined us- we are still looking to take the Board and our accusers to court for allowing this on our licenses.
RN Life ruined by Board

Phoenix, AZ

#231 Apr 21, 2011
My husband and myself were reported by an LPN at a Sun City Facility.Horrific slanderous accusations made by this LPN and her "team of Buddies". These jealous evil vindictive "people" got away with this and we are still suffering the consequences. The AZ Board of Nursing seems to prefer to sleigh the accused nurse-their motto is "guilty with burden of proof on the accused"
No med errors were made- no patient or staff were harmed. Their vindictive allegations was ridiculousness such as : my husband was rubbing my feet at the nurses station" which was false-there was a whole host of lies-that the were unsubstantiated- but it cost us dearly to fight it in court and remains and all thier UJNPROVEN slander is now public record and a compalint remains on the license-even if no discipline was taken- it ruined us- we are still looking to take the Board and our accusers to court for allowing this on our licenses.

Pinellas Park, FL

#232 Apr 21, 2011
RN Life ruined by Board wrote:
I'm curious about your case. Are you an RN? Is your husband an RN? Do you guys work together? If all that you say is true, then the case should have been thrown out as many of these "retaliation" reports to the Board do. Did you hire an attorney? Texas board is the same way...guilty until proven innocent.

Pinellas Park, FL

#233 Apr 21, 2011
RN Life ruined by Board wrote:
I see now that you are an RN...what about your husband? Why is he even involved?
jjc

Diamond Bar, CA

#234 Apr 23, 2011
Bay area CA RN wrote:
Hi concerned Redding Ca RN, any chance we can speak/email. I am an RN (california) with one dui. I havent reported to the board yet since my license is not due for renewal until Aug 2011. I have had a consultation with an administrave lawyer and will use him for the boards. However, i would like to speak with RN's who have been in the same situation as me. I am very scared for my RN license and dealing with the boards so any recommendations are very appreciated.
hi i currently am in the same situation, my arraignment date is on june 20 2011, my lawyer says the boards dont want to see any dependency so talk to a counselor and have him state that u are not dependent so far i really dont know what to expect with the board although my lawyer says they shouldnt be too harsh its ur first dui he doubts they will suspend my license but keep talking to people. good luck and God bless you with your situation
gingerbread

Paradise, CA

#235 May 10, 2011
Understanding wrote:
I just kind of fell on to this website. Very interesting, to say the least. I work for the board and deal with people like you, who have messed up and not taken responsiblity for your actions. The Board of Nursing is here to PROTECT THE PUBLIC not to give YOU a slap on the hand and say go on your merry way and continue to do what you have been doing. If it were drugs, alcohol, abuse what ever the case. You are put on probation because you have to be accountable for what you do as an RN LPN or CNA. You took an oath and that doesn't mean you can screw up and it's ok. You are not like other people, you are in charge of peoples care and lives. And when you mess up you need to be punished. You don't get to drive drunk on the week end, you don't get to do drugs at your friends house or steal from the elderly or abuse the people you take care of. You have chosen this profession so live out your committment and stop whining. You are all adults act like it and take your punishment like men and women. Your right the board of nursing is not there for YOU they are there to protect the people that you care for. Maybe just maybe a little bit of this will help you all look at yourselves and say "I need to make some changes either that or get out of field of nursing." I have people like most of you in this chat website come into the board that I take care of and I can't believe you are professional people with the way you DEMAND your license DEMAND to speak to someone NOW. I makes me so scared to think that maybe one day one of you might be taking care of me.
"Understanding" you are so right on!! I am a LVN and I can't believe that the previous writers are in my field! You all are a bunch of whiners, whatever your story: take responsibility!! You are only covering up; it is so obvious with your excuses. Nursing is an honorable profession, so act honorable.
Confused RN

Plainfield, IL

#236 May 14, 2011
I have just been called in by management to discuss the fact that there were 8 incidents that I did not sign off a Vicodin after giving it to the patient. I was drug tested and am awaiting the results, but I know the results are negative. I am not taking Vicoden, nor am I taking it out for anyone. Right now I am told not to report to work pending the drug test, but that I will be reported to the State Board. Can I lose my license over this even if my drug test is negative? I am sorry for not signing the med out and I understand its a narcotic and monitored closely, but the patients if contacted will say that I gave them the med. With this scenario, what does my future hold? Will I lose my license? Will I be put on probation? Very confused at this time ...... any information would be helpful.

Pinellas Park, FL

#237 May 14, 2011
Confused RN wrote:
I have just been called in by management to discuss the fact that there were 8 incidents that I did not sign off a Vicodin after giving it to the patient. I was drug tested and am awaiting the results, but I know the results are negative. I am not taking Vicoden, nor am I taking it out for anyone. Right now I am told not to report to work pending the drug test, but that I will be reported to the State Board. Can I lose my license over this even if my drug test is negative? I am sorry for not signing the med out and I understand its a narcotic and monitored closely, but the patients if contacted will say that I gave them the med. With this scenario, what does my future hold? Will I lose my license? Will I be put on probation? Very confused at this time ...... any information would be helpful.
I have a few questions. Were the meds in an Accudose machine or Pixus? How do you sign out your meds and how do you document that a med is given? What state are you in? Do you have insurance? Why 8 incidences? What tipped them off?

If your drug test is negative then you will most likely be accused of "narcotic diversion"....which means they think you may be selling what is missing.

You need to hire a lawyer immediately so they can advise you properly. You will most likely need to continue taking random drug tests and medication administration classes (continuing ed). Your lawyer will help you with how to set up these classes/tests.

You won't lose your license if you do what your lawyer says and what the board asks of you. The nurses that practiced poor med admin nursing like yourself will most likely have stipulations on their license for a period of time and hopefully one day those stipulations will be lifted. Stipulations such as: you can't work any overtime; must have your charge nurse double check all narcotics that you give or you may not be able to give narcotics at all. Also, only day shift and only in an establishment where you have someone "right there" directly supervising you.

Good luck and don't forget to keep working until the board contacts your lawyer...depending on the state and how busy they are...it could be years! If your current employer terminates you then get another job...keep your life much like it was before your error was found. And, if you didn't do anything wrong and it was poor judgement on your end--KEEP YOUR CHIN UP! It's hard because this is your livelihood! Learn from your mistake and never be careless again. Also, if you don't have liability insurance now, then GET IT! It won't help you with this incident, but will if there is ever a problem later. It's cheap and worth it!

Take care! And, chin up!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chandler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trying to find my mom. (Jan '17) Mon rnazir11 9
Review: Mindy Blackburn Sep 17 MINDY 2
News 'Historic' Arizona convention on changes to U.S... Sep 17 Solarman 3
MAXizied computing Sep 14 Eek 3
Becky lewark zuchowski Sep 14 Eek 9
[email protected] Sep 14 TAMBORINE 1
trump bad for usa (Oct '16) Sep 13 RoseWaller 4

Chandler Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance