Police stop shatters future for immigrant couple

Full story: LA Daily News

A simple wrong turn led to the destruction of Elvia Salgado Martinez's family. It was about 2 a.m. when she and her husband, Santiago Tapia, left the motel on Route 9 in Keeseville, nestled between the ...
Comments
21 - 40 of 40 Comments Last updated Jun 2, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Judy

United States

#21 Apr 26, 2008
Actions have consequences. This couple is finally paying for theirs his deportation) and, unfortuantely, the Americian taxpayers are for trying to save the life of their extremely premature baby and the her medical care. I'm encouraged to know that there are some communities that allow their police officers to at least ask about legal status. That, unfortuantely, will never happen in the many sanctuary cities in California.
its sad but

United States

#22 Apr 26, 2008
Are we supposed to feel sorry for this couple? It's sad what happened, but don't blame the cops for doing their job. From the timeline, it looks like everything was done right. You can't blame the cops for not knowing Spanish, because this is America and here people speak English. Perhaps if the illegals coming over here tried to assimilate as opposed to just sucking up our resources, that kid might have had a chance. I want to know the total bill that U.S. taxpayers paid in this situation.
SP Order 40

United States

#23 Apr 26, 2008
Hey I have an idea. Why don't we ask illegals their status here in LA and deport half the city (the half that is clogging the streets with trash, living in slum conditions and driving with no insurance, forcing the closure of County hospitals because they get free medical care ETCETERA....oh, because we can't. WE have a Mecha Mayor and a scared City Council who don't want to be politically incorrect.
Greg

Los Angeles, CA

#24 Apr 26, 2008
Very sad, but these folks need to be in their own country. I'm sure they will be understood a whole lot better. As for all the bleeding hearts; maybe they too need to get a life and work to make this country better, safer, and one where ALL people are expected to follow the rule of law.
tmr

Somis, CA

#25 Apr 26, 2008
Dino wrote:
Sad story. But, its their own fault. He had been deported once and came back. They both knew what was right and what was wrong. ICE did its job. The same job we expect them to do. Sorry you were too selfish to follow the laws and it may have cost you a child or an anchor baby. But, all the wrong decisions were yours.
And it cost the legal citizens of this country their tax dollars to care for you too.Don't feel one bit of compassion for these economic slaves.When is the revolution going to begin.Thousands of American military sent over seas to protect a foreign land and in the mean time were invaded by millions of people without a shot being fired.How ironic can that be?If the military cannot be used to protect our country from foreign invaders what use are they?
johnnybarham

Compton, CA

#26 Apr 26, 2008
You make it sound like the troopers did something wrong. They did their job, it's an unfortunate outcome, but you can't hang it on the troopers, which seems to be what you are implying. Hubby shouldn't have gone the wrong way, nor should he have made an illegal u-turn (sounds like he may have, the NYSP usually don't pull you over for anything less than 80 mph). Too bad for them.
tough love

Encinitas, CA

#27 Apr 26, 2008
Sorry, but if people were marching in the streets in MEXICO and demanding change there maybe these stories wouldn't happen here. Fix the root problem, Mexico needs a People's Revolution.

And what happens to uninsured citizen who need neonatal care???????

They would lose their house, car, everything. I'm waiting to see a story about THAT.
John Pelligrini

United States

#28 Apr 26, 2008
It's a sad story, but this couple did everything wrong, they crossed the border illegally, the husband did it twice, and what if while speedy to get his wife to the hospital, he accidently kills an innocent person? Enough sob stories, lets start enforcing the law( what a novel idea) and then we wouldn't have these terrible stories.
Joe

United States

#29 Apr 26, 2008
Sorry for your loss Mrs. Salgado. I hope life brings you better times in the future for you and your husband. Keep up the faith.
Joe

United States

#30 Apr 26, 2008
And most of these people posting blogs call themselves Christians? Show your faith where it matters by showing compassion towards other less fortunate human beigns you Brittney followers yes you the ones who don't think.
Charles Guerrero

Van Nuys, CA

#31 Apr 26, 2008
I will say that Mexicans who are in this country legally with legal residence status do not do enough to help those relatives in Mexico wishing to build a new life in the USA. People from Mexico are for the most part encouraged to come here illegally as if that is the only option even when they have a multitude of relatives in the USA who could help them immigrate legally.
Don Ber

Los Angeles, CA

#32 Apr 26, 2008
A premature birth is a tragedy. I know. My first grandson was a preemie that died after three days. His mother was an LVN at a hospital in Scottsdale, AZ . She was airlifted to a special care hospital in Phoenix. They had a home in Mesa, AZ which they ended up losing due to the massive medical bills and they both had insurance. I sure wish some lawbreakers justice commitee was available for citizens.
alex

Downey, CA

#33 Apr 26, 2008
george washington was a felon and a terrorist in the u.k. and here when he became a for father of this nation of illigal and indentured imigrants. they forced him and others like him to take it away from them even as he was one of them. make not a spark into a flame with you careless words for the ant eater can only eat so many ants before its carcass is devored by ants.feed on the hopeless and i garanty they will feed on you
alex

Downey, CA

#34 Apr 26, 2008
all life is pressious when one person dies its sad but when a child dies thats a tragedy no matter what legal situation their parents are in the inoccent must be protected every child dead is one less contrabution to humanity
alex

Downey, CA

#35 Apr 26, 2008
if sharpton can shut down a city illigals CAN shut down this country i bet...
Dan

Encinitas, CA

#36 Apr 26, 2008
If this had happened in Mexico, the cop would have to have been bribed before he put his gun away. As for summoning an English speaking officer to facilitate a trip to the Mexican emergency room, then gain access to neo-natal intensive care... wait, that's just stupid. You'd die where you were stopped in Mexico.
Far from evoking sympathy, this story chronicles a very effective and professional police force. Don't be afraid of it getting spread far and wide - people will see this for what it is, a poor attempt to gain sympathy.
That young woman mourning the loss of her baby a illegal boyfriend would be dead in Mexico.(Cab fare to Vermont????)
USA

United States

#37 Apr 26, 2008
LOL....That little protest last year was supposed to shut down the country for a day, but was a complete failure. Actually, it wasn't a complete failure, it did motivate the legal citizens and immigrants of America to fight ieelgal immigration.
alex wrote:
if sharpton can shut down a city illigals CAN shut down this country i bet...
Greg

Los Angeles, CA

#38 Apr 26, 2008
Joe wrote:
And most of these people posting blogs call themselves Christians? Show your faith where it matters by showing compassion towards other less fortunate human beigns you Brittney followers yes you the ones who don't think.
Hey Joe, I don't see where anyone here calls themselves a Christian, but who cares anyway? Get a grip, these illegals put themselves in their own predicament, and if YOU can't see that, you're a stupid horse's arse! Oh, so sorry.
Laurie Manuela

Monterey, CA

#39 Apr 27, 2008
Glad to see no one else has anything sympathy for them and is sick and tired of these sob stories.

They had NO business being here and cost the taxpayers thousands. The employer needs to be sued and prosecuted for aiding and abetting them. The economic magnet will not get turned off until EMPLOYERS are on the hook for ALL the costs of their illegal laborers. It's time to get real and demand a crackdown on employers and make them pay. Maybe then American employees wouldn't be so "expensive".
Bob Duffy

Monterey, CA

#40 Jun 2, 2008
If you feel sorry about their loss of life, that is pretty normal. If you knew the numbers of lifes they take, you might change your mind a bit.
Many of the Hardcore mexican murders are done by illegal aliens. The cost to this country is in the
billions. I didn't know NY had Illegal Mexicans, If you need more to backfill your losses, We have replacements here in California, we will pay the bus fare, one way!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Champlain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 22 hr Lol 16,781
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Wed Vote Zornow 6,408
Author takes a look at bootlegging in the north... Aug 25 Philomena 3
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Aug 9 JEWISH VOICE 438
Wind turbine collapses today near Malone (Mar '09) Aug 8 Barry4480 73
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Aug 7 dew4794 673
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Aug 1 tbird Cat Controller 756
•••
Champlain Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Champlain Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Champlain People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE