Police stop shatters future for immigrant couple

There are 20 comments on the Apr 26, 2008, LA Daily News story titled Police stop shatters future for immigrant couple. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

A simple wrong turn led to the destruction of Elvia Salgado Martinez's family. It was about 2 a.m. when she and her husband, Santiago Tapia, left the motel on Route 9 in Keeseville, nestled between the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
AAAAANDRE

Compton, CA

#1 Apr 26, 2008
If we had proper border enforcement, situations like this wouldn't have to happen.

Since: Apr 08

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Apr 26, 2008
I say just mine the border. Put twenty four hour loud speakers telling anyone crossing in several languages that the border is now mined.

Then if they cross anyway , well let's just say it is a 100% effective way to ensure border security from ground based methods of crossing. CHEAP TO.
Dino

La Puente, CA

#3 Apr 26, 2008
Sad story. But, its their own fault. He had been deported once and came back. They both knew what was right and what was wrong. ICE did its job. The same job we expect them to do. Sorry you were too selfish to follow the laws and it may have cost you a child or an anchor baby. But, all the wrong decisions were yours.
Charles

Simi Valley, CA

#4 Apr 26, 2008
Is this story supposed to make me sad or feel sorry for these people? It doesn't. We don't need more and more and MORE people living off of citizens' and legal residents' taxes. Our country is being driven to the brink of financial ruin by many things including illegal immigration. Will we ever have a strong enough government looking after citizens and legal residents? Probably not.
David Glazer

Victorville, CA

#5 Apr 26, 2008
Why does this paper waste time on this drivel? And how come it's not mentioned how much taxpayers got hammered on behalf of these illegal alien criminals? I am glad this happened.
Harvey Jackson

United States

#6 Apr 26, 2008
Put away the violins. Tapia is a felon. To illegally renter the USA after being deported is a felony. Let us also not forget Tapia's exceptionally dangerous driving which could have resulted in the death of an American citizen, that's why he was stopped by the police. And oh yes, 60 hours in the neonatal until, that will cost the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars all because of illegal aliens. How much do you want to bet that these criminal aliens will find some bottom fishing lawyer to sue the police who were just doing their job and just imagine how much that will cost the taxpayers. The solution is to secure the borders to prevent the entry of these criminal aliens.
Fed Up

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Apr 26, 2008
I'm soory she lost her premature baby, it happens. I am not sorry that her illegal alien husband was deported (AGAIN) back to Mexico. Perhaps she should consider joining him there instead of whining about how unfair it is.
frank

Camarillo, CA

#8 Apr 26, 2008
How sad, freeloading illegal aliens that should be in Mexico!
CITZ

Claremont, CA

#9 Apr 26, 2008
This is not Police work.
steve

Marina Del Rey, CA

#10 Apr 26, 2008
why doesn't she go back to be with her husband? I'm glad to see the police asking immigration status now there's one less illegal in the country.
Zealot

United States

#11 Apr 26, 2008
Gawd! It's all over the country, including the Houston Chronicle. This is how Open Borders propaganda is spread.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/573...
Dave

Alhambra, CA

#12 Apr 26, 2008
How about doing a story on allthe people illegal aliens kill.
Walter Moore

Pleasanton, CA

#13 Apr 26, 2008
This story illustrates that local police can and should enforce immigration law without infringing civil liberties. They had good reason to ask for ID. When the couple had no such ID, and could not speak the language, the police had good reason to believe the husband was here illegally. And they caught a repeat offender. Imagine how many illegal aliens the LAPD could catch in one week if they were given the same leeway. And imagine how many illegal aliens would, as a result, flee for other venues. I hear San Francisco is a nice "sanctuary city." Let them go there.
X-DEM

Irvine, CA

#14 Apr 26, 2008
If,if, if, if they weren't illegal, if they spoke English like most AMERICANs do, if, if, if, a very sad story, but no worse than the ones we never hear of. The stories of mother and child, and sometimes husband or "partner" that die of thirst in the desert, or the Chinese stuck in containers and die of thirst or heat, and are dumped into the ocean with never a record of their passing. Lots of "ifs". Bottom line, enter legally and the resources of the United States is there for support. Enter illegally, and face dire consequences.
artie

Mira Loma, CA

#15 Apr 26, 2008
whaaa whaaa
Norman Moore

Carson, CA

#16 Apr 26, 2008
The loss of any life in whatever circumstance is a tragedy. The basic fact is that her husband and maybe she herself were here contrary to the existing laws. So we either take action to change the laws or we actively enforce the current laws. Unfortunately in this world of "political correctness" and congressional ineptitude, coupled with general government incompetence, in all areas, neither is being done.

Forget Hillary, Obama, and McCain, this November your congressman (or woman) is going to also be on the ballot. BRING THEM HOME FOR A TIME OUT! Vote for the candidate who is not an incumbent. If you have an opposing candidate in the June Primary do it then. In my district the 28th there will be no opposition, even in the November election, so I am forced to vote Green Party, PLEASE JOIN ME!
D N Propaganda Watch

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Apr 26, 2008
This is the kind of "article" we're getting, since the Latina took over from Editor Ron Kaye, with an openly pro-illegal and anti "cold, heartless gringos sick of these people sucking their money" slant.
First of all, the husband WAS ALREADY DEPORTED ONCE AND RETURNED ILLEGAL:Y AGAIN. THAT'S TECHNICALLY A 20-year added jail sentence, so he's glad he just got sent home to live his life instead of being stuck in jail at our expense as a "guest" for 20 years.
Secondly, he barely spoke English, sthe wife Salgado NONE, so they needed to call a Spanish speaking cop in order to even explain their situation. When people are in a foreign country, especially in an area like rural New York state which is not heavily Hispanic, it's their obligation to know the local language if they want to function in the society. Would the sneak illegally into China or Italy or Holland and expect the whole society to revolve around their lack of language and education? Having traveled to those countries, I can tell you people get frustrated even with tourists who can't communicate.
This couple shouldn't be in a place where they don't know the language, are uneducated, and are poor enough that they're living in a motel. What kind of job did the wife, Salgrado, have, with no English at all, and I'll be she used MediCal to pay for the birth and hugely expensive attempts to save the baby's life. At 3 months premature, its chances of survival were small but I'll bet these "groups which help immigrants" are helping her sue us now. Why else wouldn't she go HOME to MEXICO WITH HER HUSBAND, WHERE SHE BELONGS?
If their baby wasn't eligible tor citizenship status, they may never have been compelled to come here illegally and put our taxpayers to this huge expense and potential law suits -- by illegals who broke the laws, more than once, the husband committing a FELONY by coming back after we took the expense to deport him and make clear his legal obligations.
NO ILLEGALS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO COME HERE TO HAVE ANCHOR BABIES, AND THOSE DEPORTED AT LEAST ONCE WHO DO SO AND HAVE A CHILD SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO RECEIVE CITIZENSHIP FOR THE CHILD. That is a crazy benefit to criminals. Technically, they could have babies in jail as illegal gangbangers and the baby will become a citizen, who will draw welfare, childcare and health and tons of services, and give them an excuse to stay here forever.
Mike for change

Calabasas, CA

#18 Apr 26, 2008
The tale of the "anchor baby" that wasn't... Sad -nice try and try again for sure they will. It's the only hope for the people south of the border, there's no other choice between a life of crime and being an outcast and death in a country that doesn't care. Mexico's worst is coming, what we have now is nothing compared what's on the way. Check out what's happening right at the border Mexican police and military are shaking down tourist and robbing them. Forget about running down for a good time at the baja 1000, you can lose your life coming home.
no love

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Apr 26, 2008
wow. I see no love for the illegals here. Maybe there is some hope for America after all
Mike for change

Calabasas, CA

#20 Apr 26, 2008
People in (political) segments of America are lambasting the elite and affluent of the U.S. as heartless and unconcerned of lower income, disadvantaged peoples (i.e., race creed color). What would you call the elite & affluent of Mexico, partying- as people leave their country to survive and funneling through starving hoards from south of their border to the United States. It is the U.S. elite and affluent that care the most when they arrive. It's not the starving and disadvantaged that is the problem. I'll give you 2 guess who is. Imagine if we could get to the real root of the problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Champlain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gerald Menard Feb '15 Rose 1
News Former Stamford, N.Y. Mortgage Broker Arrested ... (Jun '10) Feb '15 Rose 4
News IP says crapping Ticonderoga gas pipeline neces... Feb '15 loving arms 2
News Author takes a look at bootlegging in the north... (Aug '14) Dec '14 Crow 4
News Altona man arrested for sexually abusing child Dec '14 Ugg 4
taxes in altona (Oct '14) Dec '14 horseman 2
News Wind turbine collapses today near Malone (Mar '09) Aug '14 Barry4480 73
More from around the web

Champlain People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]