Lake Champlain ferry planned by month's end

Jan 21, 2010 Full story: www.burlingtonfreepress.com 6

Work continued Wednesday on ramps for a planned ferry service near the now-destroyed Lake Champlain Bridge, but a firm opening date for the ferry remains uncertain.

The bridge was a key commuter route between New York state and Addison County, but the span was closed in October after inspections showed dangerous deterioration. The bridge was demolished in December, and a new span is scheduled to open in 2011.

A ferry just south of the bridge site is expected to help commuters travel between Vermont and New York while a new bridge is built.

Vermont Transportation Agency spokesman John Zicconi said an opening date has not been set, but the construction is on pace to allow the ferry to start operating sometime near the end of the month, as originally planned.

Read more
happy

Howes Cave, NY

#1 Jan 21, 2010
I hope this happens on schedule. I have been traveling to Essex to take the Ferry over to get to Burlington. It is not the best road to travel coming out of Essex at night. I for one will be glad when the new ferry opens and makes travel easier for all.
port henry

Bolton Landing, NY

#2 Jan 21, 2010
amen to that!!!!!!!!!!
oh well

Howes Cave, NY

#5 Jan 24, 2010
Has anyone heard any more news on the Ferry in Crown Point?
happy wrote:
I hope this happens on schedule. I have been traveling to Essex to take the Ferry over to get to Burlington. It is not the best road to travel coming out of Essex at night. I for one will be glad when the new ferry opens and makes travel easier for all.
info

Cobleskill, NY

#6 Jan 24, 2010
i was told that they are hoping to be ready by first week in february and that the warm weather has been a blessing for the workers...we all can't wait until it is ready..
tired commuter

Mechanicville, NY

#7 Jan 24, 2010
info wrote:
i was told that they are hoping to be ready by first week in february and that the warm weather has been a blessing for the workers...we all can't wait until it is ready..
I was told tonight that the ny side of the ramps are done its just VT that has to complete. This ferry can't get done soon enough for me - traveling two hours both ways is getting old quick. I pray your time frame is right.
bridge lover

Ballston Spa, NY

#8 Jan 24, 2010
is it done yet

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Champlain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gerald Menard Feb '15 Rose 1
News Former Stamford, N.Y. Mortgage Broker Arrested ... (Jun '10) Feb '15 Rose 4
News IP says crapping Ticonderoga gas pipeline neces... Feb '15 loving arms 2
News Author takes a look at bootlegging in the north... (Aug '14) Dec '14 Crow 4
News Altona man arrested for sexually abusing child Dec '14 Ugg 4
taxes in altona Dec '14 horseman 2
News Wind turbine collapses today near Malone (Mar '09) Aug '14 Barry4480 73
Champlain Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Champlain People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]