Wrong turn puts family on tragic path

Full story: Newsday

A simple wrong turn led to the destruction of Elvia Salgado Martinez' family. It was about 2 a.m. when she and her husband, Santiago Tapia, left the motel on Route 9 in Keeseville, nestled between the ...
Comments
21 - 33 of 33 Comments Last updated May 12, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Marcy In Vermont

Topsham, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

Man you People are so fricking cruel. This Poor woman. GOD made everyone. Regardless of our color, nationality, ect.... Whether they were here illegally, i do NOT see anywhere where theyy were harming anyone.This Poor woman was trying to save her poor innocent childs life,and we as American's have the right to just say ok were not going to help her ubtil we feel like it because she is a illegal immigrant. WRONG. Then we chose to let her as i said innocent baby boy die. CRUEL AMERICA. Which is my country i am very PROUD to be an american BUT i am very Disgusted in these Police personel who think they know everything, they have to go strickly by the book, ok and while we are doing all this legiate paperwork, lets just let this poor woman lay here for 2 hours and let her precious lil boy die. Thats not what i calla true AMERICAN in my book. We are to blame some too, we have let illegal immigrants come into our country from all over the world, our CHOICE. If we had never started, we wouldnt be where we are. So whom is to blame, whom is at fault????? We let them come here legally to begin with so the rest here good things and want to follow. So so be it. Stop fricking complaining, YES have a heart from that precious lil boy whom had no say so in the matter, get her immediately to a hospital ASAP, and then figure whom and when to deport. Not after the affect of this precious baby deaths. America is Free. OK, then AMERICANS start proving it. Dont let innocent people die, especially ones with no say so, because you as a police office was using your athority and had to go by the books of whats right and whats wrong of these 2 being illegal immigrants. Well that baby's life could have been spared if your DAM athoritive nature would have thought of someone else for once besides Im a police officer i am going by the book i can do anything i want and just let this poor woman sit here and bleed and let her baby die while i do my policeman work. Sadly mistaken but i think u were 100% wrong.
You Definately could have gotten these people to the hospital possibly spared this child's life and done the same thing at the hospital you did on the interstate. Put Your DAM ego's aside and yes THANK YOU for doing your HARD jobs and protecting us BUT have a heart too??????????
A family member of mine lost a very precious lil girl, killed by a negligent driver, he got his license taken away for a year. And was charged with careless and negligence thats it SICK. ANd this is in my own country. Fact and reality he didnt go out there and say im going to kill someone today, BUT he did it and was negligent. He should have suffered way more then he did. Thats Vermonts Justice system for you?????? But this poor woman not bothering a soul just trying to get to the hospital to try and save her babies life, is left on the side of the road to let her baby die. While we as americans go by the book.
WELL i think we need to revise our own books on our own country, as to killing our own as to just letting people walk free. Like oh i killed this precious lil girl not even a year old, once again no say so in the matter. And thats ok i just loose my license for a year. Thats F**KED up. Wonderful Justice system??????????SUCKS!!!!!!
My Personal opinion Freedom of speech everone on that scene was 100% WRONG for just looking into the legalities and ignoring that a INNOCENT baby boy was dieing.SICK!!!!!!!!!!
Lloyd Christmas

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

Now I know who I lost that apple slice bagging job to.
Laurie Manuela

Seaside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

Thanks to the poster for pointing out the obvious: they can afford $6K for a smuggler but take a handout for a free taxi voucher. I am sick of the milking of the American taxpayer. The employer needs to be financially on the hook for ALL the costs these two were to the taxpayer: the medical bills, the taxi ride, the cost of deporting her husband. It is time to stop letting the employers off the hook.

The article states she can stay until March. I hope that enough people complain so she can not remain and gets sent back.

Enough is enough!
James Dean

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

I have nothing more to add to this. Come into this Country Legally and learn to speak English if you want a better life.
Adirondak Homeowner

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

We don't want Illegals stinking up our beautiful Mountains. We have one of the few places left in this Country where everyone is White and they speak English. We want to keep it that way. Sorry if others don't like it but too bad. Period.
1945 Volkswagon Bug

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

They should have been driving through jersey where the staties will give you 80 mph unlike them nazis in NY.
mike

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

Adirondak Homeowner wrote:
We don't want Illegals stinking up our beautiful Mountains. We have one of the few places left in this Country where everyone is White and they speak English. We want to keep it that way. Sorry if others don't like it but too bad. Period.
yeah.. i hope u never take a trip to mexico or any of those places cuz yeah..

Since: Mar 08

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

Marcy In Vermont wrote:
Man you People are so fricking cruel. This Poor woman. GOD made everyone. Regardless of our color, nationality, ect.... Whether they were here illegally, i do NOT see anywhere where theyy were harming anyone.This Poor woman was trying to save her poor innocent childs life,and we as American's have the right to just say ok were not going to help her ubtil we feel like it because she is a illegal immigrant. WRONG. Then we chose to let her as i said innocent baby boy die. CRUEL AMERICA. Which is my country i am very PROUD to be an american BUT i am very Disgusted in these Police personel who think they know everything, they have to go strickly by the book, ok and while we are doing all this legiate paperwork, lets just let this poor woman lay here for 2 hours and let her precious lil boy die. Thats not what i calla true AMERICAN in my book. We are to blame some too, we have let illegal immigrants come into our country from all over the world, our CHOICE. If we had never started, we wouldnt be where we are. So whom is to blame, whom is at fault????? We let them come here legally to begin with so the rest here good things and want to follow. So so be it. Stop fricking complaining, YES have a heart from that precious lil boy whom had no say so in the matter, get her immediately to a hospital ASAP, and then figure whom and when to deport. Not after the affect of this precious baby deaths. America is Free. OK, then AMERICANS start proving it. Dont let innocent people die, especially ones with no say so, because you as a police office was using your athority and had to go by the books of whats right and whats wrong of these 2 being illegal immigrants. Well that baby's life could have been spared if your DAM athoritive nature would have thought of someone else for once besides Im a police officer i am going by the book i can do anything i want and just let this poor woman sit here and bleed and let her baby die while i do my policeman work. Sadly mistaken but i think u were 100% wrong.
You Definately could have gotten these people to the hospital possibly spared this child's life and done the same thing at the hospital you did on the interstate. Put Your DAM ego's aside and yes THANK YOU for doing your HARD jobs and protecting us BUT have a heart too??????????
A family member of mine lost a very precious lil girl, killed by a negligent driver, he got his license taken away for a year. And was charged with careless and negligence thats it SICK. ANd this is in my own country. Fact and reality he didnt go out there and say im going to kill someone today, BUT he did it and was negligent. He should have suffered way more then he did. Thats Vermonts Justice system for you?????? But this poor woman not bothering a soul just trying to get to the hospital to try and save her babies life, is left on the side of the road to let her baby die. While we as americans go by the book.
WELL i think we need to revise our own books on our own country, as to killing our own as to just letting people walk free. Like oh i killed this precious lil girl not even a year old, once again no say so in the matter. And thats ok i just loose my license for a year. Thats F**KED up. Wonderful Justice system??????????SUCKS!!!!!!
My Personal opinion Freedom of speech everone on that scene was 100% WRONG for just looking into the legalities and ignoring that a INNOCENT baby boy was dieing.SICK!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with you, it's sad to see how mean and evil people can be, to comment on these people like they are not human, they are God's children just like everybody else. I don't know how some people sleep at night.
Francios

Montréal, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2008

Judged:

Perhaps if you Americans were not so busy policing the rest of the world, you could police your own borders to stop this "problem" you seem to hate dealing with. Perhaps if you stopped spending your money on supporting oppressive dictators in foreign lands just to prop up your politics and oil supply, you could use the money to deal with this better. Maybe if you weren't so busy making war for oil, you could keep your country out of recession while you were at it! How can you come on here and complain about these things, when you have so completely made you own beds? Without these illegals, and their willingness to work for pennies doing jobs all the "real americans" are too good to do, your economy would go the rest of the way into the dumper. America used to be a shining beacon for the rest of the world to emulate, the comments on this forum lately have illustrated why America now disgusts me, and the rest of the world! Get yourselves back on track.
SandDollar

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2008

This is heartbreaking. It has nothing to do with a wrong turn. It has to do with poor decision making. I wouldn't want this kind of sorrow for anyone.

People have always strived for a better life and have traveled many miles for it. I think of the gold rush and the move west. Thousands and thousands died in search of a dream and a little more wealth.

While this story tugs at your heart, it has nothing to do with the overall illegal entry issue and the actual plight of the illegal. We do all we can do. The laws have to be obeyed.
History Major

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2008

Judged:

Don't forget that Texas was part of Mexico and the land was stolen from many innocent people. Land was only returned to people who could show an original Mexican land title/deed and it was said that the land would be returned to the Mexican families. The US government knew that Spain owned that part of "Mexico" at the time (and parts of California) and that the 'deed' would not show Mexico, therefore the few who attained any kind of record of land entitlement were denied because of such unfair details. Another words, to those who do not understand...The Mexicans got screwed in Texas, in particular. If I were you, I'd watch your nasty tone because your maker is watching you. You are talking about people's lives. This kind of harsh talk is not far from the talk that led to segregation in the US where countless numbers of immigrants were lynched, not so long ago by the way, many of the people who actually did those things or were a part or witness to these acts of crimes are still alive today. Please don't sound like one of them. This IS part of our nasty history. Don't Hate or segregate ANY culture!
amom

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2008

Francios wrote:
Perhaps if you Americans were not so busy policing the rest of the world, you could police your own borders to stop this "problem" you seem to hate dealing with. Perhaps if you stopped spending your money on supporting oppressive dictators in foreign lands just to prop up your politics and oil supply, you could use the money to deal with this better. Maybe if you weren't so busy making war for oil, you could keep your country out of recession while you were at it! How can you come on here and complain about these things, when you have so completely made you own beds? Without these illegals, and their willingness to work for pennies doing jobs all the "real americans" are too good to do, your economy would go the rest of the way into the dumper. America used to be a shining beacon for the rest of the world to emulate, the comments on this forum lately have illustrated why America now disgusts me, and the rest of the world! Get yourselves back on track.
MAybe we could send all the illegals up to you and you can work to support them, you wouldn't mind now would you? OH and that oil, exactly what good did that war do us as far as the oil is concerned? We didn't go there for the oil. You seem to know so much about this country then you should know that we were attacked and 3000 Americans were killed in a matter of hours. The people that did this came from that part of the world. That is why we're there
Goldmin69

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

When will it all end? History always repeats itself if you are literate to read it. The next civil war won't be between the north and south but the browns,blacks and whites.Personally,I intend to be well fortfied and heavily armed when all hell breaks loose,shooting everything that moves and asking questions later.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Champlain Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Champlain People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••