Wrong turn puts family on tragic path

Wrong turn puts family on tragic path

There are 33 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 25, 2008, titled Wrong turn puts family on tragic path. In it, Newsday reports that:

A simple wrong turn led to the destruction of Elvia Salgado Martinez' family. It was about 2 a.m. when she and her husband, Santiago Tapia, left the motel on Route 9 in Keeseville, nestled between the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joe in Arizona

United States

#4 Apr 25, 2008
Based upon the tile of this article, there is nothing like biased reporting. The "Wrong Turn" these individuals made was crossing the border in violation of our laws over and over again. They can aford to pay $6000 for a smuggler several times...wonder how much they paid for their medical care. Perhaps they should all return to Mexico since they are so mistreated here...good ridance!
Lou

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Apr 25, 2008
They can afford to pay smugglers repeatedly,gee,who paid for the medical care here?What a biased,unbalanced piece of reporting by a reporter who should be writing for soap operas rather than a newspaper.

Since: Apr 08

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Apr 25, 2008
What was the point of this story, to make us feel sorry for them? They broke the law entering with wanton disregard for our laws, him twice. Now the taxpayers are going to get stuck with the medical bills for their bad choices.

The only innocent one here is the baby.

Again if you are here legally, welcome. If you are here by breaking our laws entering the country GET OUT!!!!!!
Juan Valdez

Mesquite, NV

#7 Apr 25, 2008
Have a heart America these people lost there lives trying to make a better life in America ?
If you must blame anyone blame the
do nothing politicians in Washington,D.C.
REST IN PEACE AND GOD BLESS YOU !
Cindy

Monterey, CA

#8 Apr 25, 2008
It is definately a heart breaking situation. Unfortunately they are here illegally and breaking the law. We can not continue to pay the medical bills as a country and we should not be expected to. When people enter this country legally and are willing to work that's one thing but to come here and expect us to pick up the tabs on their medical, car insurance, etc. THAT IS WRONG.
Joe in Arizona

United States

#9 Apr 25, 2008
Juan Valdez wrote:
Have a heart America these people lost there lives trying to make a better life in America ?
If you must blame anyone blame the
do nothing politicians in Washington,D.C.
REST IN PEACE AND GOD BLESS YOU !
I have a heart and feel terible for the child...of course, life is about making decisions...they decided to have a baby with no health insurance. They decided to pay a smuggler and could have died crossing the AZ desert. They decided to get into an overloaded vehicle and make their way to NY State. Are we to be responsible for all of their bad decisions? Financially, we ARE responsible....all of the rhetoric about illegal aliens contributing to our tax roles is bunk and it's been proven time after time in study after study. Yet bleeding hearts who have no concept of the damage this is causing to our nation, as well as big business taking advantage of sub-par wages, continue to undermine our society. Ever wonder why property and school taxes are increasing so rapidly? We have to fund English as a second language classes for children that are here illegally. Check with you local law enforcement and see what kind of strain they are operating under if you have an area with a large illegal alien population. The number of calls they respond to in that area increases exponentially. After all, it's a felony for this lady's husband to have returned (8 USC 1325) on a second offense...what makes you think they will follow any of the other laws and rules we have in our country? Have a heart?...absolutely...where will it stop? Poor people in every country of the world want to come here...but those that pay taxes in this country can't afford to support them all.
BurningAtlanta

Mcdonough, GA

#10 Apr 25, 2008
Cry me a river and maybe some illegals will drown in it.

I'm so sick to death of the agenda-driven Newsday printing ANOTHER "Boo-hoo" piece I could puke.

Dear Gate-crashers,
You showed a total contempt of our borders, our laws and this nation when you decided to sneak in. You were on your way with an anchor baby knowing that you are subject to arrest and deportation at any time. And, now, I'm supposed to feel all teary eyed because you had problems and got pulled on the way to the hospital? If you want sympathy, compassion, and understanding you'd better call your mother but don't call me.

Dear Newsday,
Why don't you publish a few articles about the thousands on Americans that are killed, raped, robbed, molested, etc.. by illegals every year in this country? Guess that wouldn't fit your "Boo-Hoo" agenda.
Linda Brown

Dothan, AL

#11 Apr 26, 2008
I gotta agree with the majority here! They entered this country illegally, and while the death of the baby is sad, don't expect any sympathy from me! I saw on the news last week, aliens are crossing the Rio Grande River from MX to TX, just so they can have their babies in a US hospital, assuring them a free pass to become a citizen! Lat year alone, in three hospitals, there were 24,000 babies born and who pray tell is footing the bill? You guessed it, us Americans!!! Since 9/11 I have been adamant that we close the borders. Those terrorists who murdered 3,000 people were actually on the day of the attack were here on EXPIRED STUDENT VISAS! Not one soul from INS bothered to follow up on people like this and if I had my way,anyone from the Middle East would never be allowed on American soil!!! If this sounds harsh, too freaking bad! My cousin died in the towers, a brave firefighter who gave his life to try to save others and I will be forever pissed off about this!!!And while you get some aliens with a good work ethic the majority of them depend on the welfare checks and keep popping out kids just so they can stay here and suck up benefits that could go to Americans that need assistance. Bad enough we have a president who hands out blank checks to countries that need to start fending for themselves like Africa. I am 48 years old and I can recall trick or treating with a UNICEF can so I figure we have been supporting Africa way too long, not my problem their government doesn't help them grow more food, there are disabled Americans such as myself that need help with food, medical and housing, and there is Bush handing out a check to Tanzania for $700 million!!! This burned me up to no end. In MI homes are being foreclosed on in an alarming rate, industries are moving to other countries and you can't call your phone company without getting Habib, who mind you, is not even in the same hemisphere and has no clue where MI is!!! And nor does he care, he has a job, some American doesn't so forgive me if I don't feel warm and fuzzy for this woman, you miss your hubby, go back where you came from and this time stay there!!!
Miami man

Miami Beach, FL

#12 Apr 26, 2008
im sad for the babies of the immigrants that are here illegaly,but let them pay for thier medical bill by doing the jobs even bums wont do,take out double the medicad taxes and put them in little pink houses,and most of all sterlize them for they breed like rodents
Miami man

Miami Beach, FL

#13 Apr 26, 2008
in miami they live in one apartment ,were talking 3 families and more and they have nothing yet they have children every year,i always see the same women with thier pregnate bellies year after year,im telling you they breed like rodents
JJJ

Sound Beach, NY

#14 Apr 26, 2008
Linda Brown wrote:
I gotta agree with the majority here! They entered this country illegally, and while the death of the baby is sad, don't expect any sympathy from me! I saw on the news last week, aliens are crossing the Rio Grande River from MX to TX, just so they can have their babies in a US hospital, assuring them a free pass to become a citizen! Lat year alone, in three hospitals, there were 24,000 babies born and who pray tell is footing the bill? You guessed it, us Americans!!! Since 9/11 I have been adamant that we close the borders. Those terrorists who murdered 3,000 people were actually on the day of the attack were here on EXPIRED STUDENT VISAS! Not one soul from INS bothered to follow up on people like this and if I had my way,anyone from the Middle East would never be allowed on American soil!!! If this sounds harsh, too freaking bad! My cousin died in the towers, a brave firefighter who gave his life to try to save others and I will be forever pissed off about this!!!And while you get some aliens with a good work ethic the majority of them depend on the welfare checks and keep popping out kids just so they can stay here and suck up benefits that could go to Americans that need assistance. Bad enough we have a president who hands out blank checks to countries that need to start fending for themselves like Africa. I am 48 years old and I can recall trick or treating with a UNICEF can so I figure we have been supporting Africa way too long, not my problem their government doesn't help them grow more food, there are disabled Americans such as myself that need help with food, medical and housing, and there is Bush handing out a check to Tanzania for $700 million!!! This burned me up to no end. In MI homes are being foreclosed on in an alarming rate, industries are moving to other countries and you can't call your phone company without getting Habib, who mind you, is not even in the same hemisphere and has no clue where MI is!!! And nor does he care, he has a job, some American doesn't so forgive me if I don't feel warm and fuzzy for this woman, you miss your hubby, go back where you came from and this time stay there!!!
I feel for your loss,and you have made very good point on your comment.
VLANDRY

El Paso, TX

#15 Apr 26, 2008
God bless the baby for he is not at fault for his parents. I think they both should have been sent back.
Ron Zoni

Warwick, NY

#16 Apr 26, 2008
Oh well. They came here illegaly. No sympathy from me and i wish all illegals would go away or die off. Come here legally and get respect.
ad nauseum

Dover, NJ

#17 Apr 26, 2008
BurningAtlanta wrote:

I'm so sick to death of the agenda-driven Newsday printing ANOTHER "Boo-hoo" piece I could puke.


I am sick and getting sicker. The illness is spreading. Epidemic. No cure!
herald

Salinas, CA

#18 Apr 26, 2008
ok this is awful what most of you people are saying.. it get the illegal thing but thiewas alife still lost........ JJJ Hicks Ville is probly one of the only one's that got a good piont a cross a little harsh but piont very well taken i agree nothing gets me more mad than seeing someone that needs help in ameria and we are helping and giving jobs to every one else exept america to save a buck ,believe me i get a i just got laid off do to our ompany closing down and no help for me cuase illlegals get all the help i have always worked, but.... how ever some people making statements i hope they know where the mom or grandparents or antsisthers ame from a that help us beome americans today.being so judgemental and all ...
BurningAtlanta

Mcdonough, GA

#19 Apr 26, 2008
I'm getting on a vendetta against NewsDay. From now own, after every "boo-hoo," tear-mongering, agenda-driven, pro-illegal piece they put out on this forum, I'm going to ad a comment conecerning another innocent victim of an illegal and ask why they don't have jack to say about it?

I posted this item after another of their stories.
http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/local_story_...

"An Alford plea admits no guilt but acknowledges that the evidence against a defendant is strong enough to make a conviction likely if the case were to be tried in court.

A probable-cause affidavit filed in the case by Carthage police states that the defendant had sexual intercourse with a 9-year-old girl between June 1 and Sept. 1, 2006. The abuse took place on multiple occasions at a home in Carthage, the affidavit states.

Jiminez also had deviate sexual intercourse with a 7-year-old girl over the same period of time, according to court records. That abuse also took place on more than one occasion.

Deportation

Deportation following convictions are common in Missouri, rather than incarceration of an illegal alien at the state’s expense."

A 55 year-old illegal rapes two little girls and all he gets is deported. He'll probably be back, raping little girls, in no time.

HEY, NEWSDAY. WHY DON"T YOU COVER THESE STORIES? WHY DON'T YOU INTERVIEW FAMILIES THAT HAVE BEEN DESTROYED, THRU NO FAULT NOR DECISION OF THEIR OWN, WHO ARE VICTIMS OF ILLEGALS? WHERE ARE THE TEAR-JERK STORIES ABOUT THEM?
Ron Zoni

Warwick, NY

#20 Apr 26, 2008
herald wrote:
ok this is awful what most of you people are saying.. it get the illegal thing but thiewas alife still lost........ JJJ Hicks Ville is probly one of the only one's that got a good piont a cross a little harsh but piont very well taken i agree nothing gets me more mad than seeing someone that needs help in ameria and we are helping and giving jobs to every one else exept america to save a buck ,believe me i get a i just got laid off do to our ompany closing down and no help for me cuase illlegals get all the help i have always worked, but.... how ever some people making statements i hope they know where the mom or grandparents or antsisthers ame from a that help us beome americans today.being so judgemental and all ...
Didn't win the spelling bee, did you?
FedUp

AOL

#21 Apr 26, 2008
So her husband commits a felony (Reentry after Deportation IS a FELONY offense) and we should feel sorry? The fact that she is stringing along her court case when she has no relief from deportation and we should feel sorry? She's lucky her husband wasn't charged for his offense; otherwise he would still be in a jail cell. For that matter, that is where she should have been when she was arrested the first time.

Since when is it ok to avoid or deny responsibility for your own actions? Just once I would like for one of these people take responsibility for their own actions.

If they hadn't come here illegally, they would not have been arrested. If they had not been speeding, breaking the law AGAIN, they would not have been arrested. At least they got medical care (which we, the US Citizen taxpayer, are going to end up paying when she does not). I can guarantee you that in Mexico she would have had that baby on the side of the road, and would have likely died herself.

Instead, the police are at fault because of their problems, I think not.

They continue to blame others for their own mistakes. I am disgusted to read this, and am disgusted with this report for condoning it.
So Confused

West Milford, NJ

#22 Apr 26, 2008
Had that poor preemie baby survived, the gen pop would've been saddled with millions in hospital care. Believe me.
Ron Zoni

Warwick, NY

#23 Apr 26, 2008
FedUp wrote:
So her husband commits a felony (Reentry after Deportation IS a FELONY offense) and we should feel sorry? The fact that she is stringing along her court case when she has no relief from deportation and we should feel sorry? She's lucky her husband wasn't charged for his offense; otherwise he would still be in a jail cell. For that matter, that is where she should have been when she was arrested the first time.
Since when is it ok to avoid or deny responsibility for your own actions? Just once I would like for one of these people take responsibility for their own actions.
If they hadn't come here illegally, they would not have been arrested. If they had not been speeding, breaking the law AGAIN, they would not have been arrested. At least they got medical care (which we, the US Citizen taxpayer, are going to end up paying when she does not). I can guarantee you that in Mexico she would have had that baby on the side of the road, and would have likely died herself.
Instead, the police are at fault because of their problems, I think not.
They continue to blame others for their own mistakes. I am disgusted to read this, and am disgusted with this report for condoning it.
Don't feel sorry. Feel happy beause we don't have to support them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Champlain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rush of immigrants flee US, crossing into Canad... Sat frank 1
News Border incident raises U.S. policy concerns Feb 11 Snowbird stay home 1
News Border Patrol did America a huge favor, this is... Feb 11 Snowbird stay home 1
Haunted (May '12) Jan '17 Lived there 11
News Wind turbine collapses today near Malone (Mar '09) Nov '16 Climate change 74
News Canadian exchange rate helping many local busin... (Aug '06) Nov '16 Oh Canada 2
Shannon Rizzotto (Apr '16) Oct '16 WhatDidIJustRead 3

Champlain Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Champlain Mortgages