Bridge Closing Has Isolated Area Feel...

Bridge Closing Has Isolated Area Feeling Even More So

There are 2 comments on the www.nytimes.com story from Dec 25, 2009, titled Bridge Closing Has Isolated Area Feeling Even More So. In it, www.nytimes.com reports that:

Lorraine Franklin sat in her empty store Monday evening, remembering what a typical night here used to look like: frenzied parents grabbing a pizza, frazzled workers picking up six-packs, night shift employees loading up on coffee.

But since October, the West Addison General Store here has been nearly empty each night, a phenomenon due not to the economy, but rather a failed span of steel and concrete three miles away.

The Lake Champlain Bridge, which connects Vermont and New York, was closed Oct. 16 after it was deemed unsafe. Its concrete pillars had deteriorated significantly since its last inspection in 2005, and officials feared the 720-foot bridge could collapse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.nytimes.com.

Ferry Needed NOW

Warrensburg, NY

#1 Dec 28, 2009
I feel sorry for the bussiness that are suffering. My son drives 80 miles around to get to his job. Ti Ferry not running at 1:00 am in the moring. We need the ferry NOW.
agreed

Cobleskill, NY

#2 Dec 28, 2009
Agreed whole-heartedly

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Champlain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shannon Rizzotto May '16 Too Familiar 2
First year supt? (Sep '15) Nov '15 Gygy 6
Sue shedrick (Sep '15) Sep '15 Whooooo 1
Gerald Menard (Feb '15) Jul '15 Gas 2
News This weekend in the Adirondacks (Jun '15) Jun '15 Iindict ann coulter 2
Chazy Market and Deli ? (Dec '13) May '15 none 5
News Former Stamford, N.Y. Mortgage Broker Arrested ... (Jun '10) Feb '15 Rose 4

Champlain Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Champlain Mortgages