Nativity to be built in downtown Cham...

Nativity to be built in downtown Chambersburg

There are 423 comments on the Public Opinion story from Nov 15, 2010, titled Nativity to be built in downtown Chambersburg. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

A St. Thomas pastor said the placement of a nativity scene in downtown Chambersburg should not be seen as an attack on atheists or any group of people who don't share his views.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 22
Next Last
reformed C-burger

Palmyra, PA

#1 Nov 15, 2010
They are going to spend that much money on a Nativity?? Think of the people they could actually help with that money instead!!
But I guess building a 'scene' is more important than providing food for the food bank, clothes, shoes & coats for those in need, helping to keep the homeless shelter running, donating to the utilities program or to a school.

What do you think Jesus would say right now about this waste of money from some of his followers when there is REAL need out there??
wildone

Greencastle, PA

#2 Nov 16, 2010
reformed C-burger wrote:
They are going to spend that much money on a Nativity?? Think of the people they could actually help with that money instead!!
But I guess building a 'scene' is more important than providing food for the food bank, clothes, shoes & coats for those in need, helping to keep the homeless shelter running, donating to the utilities program or to a school.
What do you think Jesus would say right now about this waste of money from some of his followers when there is REAL need out there??
MERRY CHRISTMAS and GOD BLESS YOU!!!!
Eileen

Greencastle, PA

#3 Nov 16, 2010
Here we go again. All that Nativity is going to do is stir up those little devils again. Stay tuned.
Oh No

United States

#4 Nov 16, 2010
To who and Where do I send a check?
reformed C-burger

Palmyra, PA

#8 Nov 16, 2010
my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
God bless you and your family, I hope you and your family have a great holiday, We'll pray for you.
I don't need or want your prayers. Save your breath.$3k is way too much money to spend on something like this, solely to make a point?! I am shocked at the amount of money going into this when there is so much great need all year round that could make much better use of that money. I would think that if people have that much money to donate to this project, they also have money to donate to those in need. If they don't have enough to donate an equal amount to charities & food banks, they shouldn't give money to this project at all. Helping the least of these is more important than thumbing your nose at someone.
But this only proves my view, that too many Christians are way too concerned with appearances & grand folly than with true Christian charity & love. Especially at this time of year.
Christmas, as I've heard Christians say, is for celebrating Jesus' birth & life. I have a feeling that Jesus would be very disappointed with all this focus on decorations, consumeristic attitudes & uncharitable feelings at 'his' time of year.
Wasteful spending.
Really

Chambersburg, PA

#9 Nov 16, 2010
Oh No wrote:
To who and Where do I send a check?
Make checks payable to Dan Keen.
Amazing

Greencastle, PA

#10 Nov 16, 2010
Everybody is always worried about how much something cost,,this isnt about money,,its the Christmas spirit,,maybe some people outta be grateful for what they have,,and stop complaining about everything..I dont think I heard anything about taking YOUR money,,you arent being taxed for it,,so dont worry about it

Since: Oct 10

Gettysburg, PA

#11 Nov 16, 2010
reformed C-burger wrote:
They are going to spend that much money on a Nativity?? Think of the people they could actually help with that money instead!!
But I guess building a 'scene' is more important than providing food for the food bank, clothes, shoes & coats for those in need, helping to keep the homeless shelter running, donating to the utilities program or to a school.
What do you think Jesus would say right now about this waste of money from some of his followers when there is REAL need out there??
No matter what the decision would be about a Nativity someone would say "why not use the money to do some other great an wonderful thing". Spreading the word of God unfortunately cost money. Just because some individuals have donated money to this cause doesn't mean the other activities are being ignored. You Say why not spend the money for food for people. Well then it cost a lot of money to deliver that food to the people that need it. Why not instead of using trucks to deliver the food have people ride bicycles or walk to deliver that food? you could have a lot more food that way. You see what is happening in this country is we are loosing Common Sense. I believe That Jesus will be very pleased with the nativity scene and especially the activity of coming together as Christians to spread his word. That is what we as Christians are charged to do just as much as we are charged to take care of the poor and down trodden.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#12 Nov 16, 2010
$3,000+ that isn't being donated to the needy during the holidays. Real Christ-like. I'm sure Jesus would rather you spend that money on a display of his "virgin" birth than donate it something worthwhile.

Oh well. As long as it's not on property that I'm paying for, I don't care.
got the scoop

Shippensburg, PA

#13 Nov 16, 2010
Sick-Tired wrote:
$3,000+ that isn't being donated to the needy during the holidays. Real Christ-like. I'm sure Jesus would rather you spend that money on a display of his "virgin" birth than donate it something worthwhile.
Oh well. As long as it's not on property that I'm paying for, I don't care.
You say you dont care, but you have to stick your pointed, crooked, unGodly nose in it by saying that it costs too much! And by trying to say that it is a bad thing to remind the public of the real reason for the season!
Let me count the ways

Scranton, PA

#14 Nov 16, 2010
Spending money on one's own interests is done every day. We buy tickets to football games, get our nails done, go to the movies, visit craft shows, play bingo, golf, bowl, buy hunting licenses, install swimming pools, stop for coffee each morning, use gas drving around to see Christmas lights, play fantasy football, buy books to read, and obviously subscribe to the internet. What do you spend your money on, former C-burger? Maybe you could give up some of these things and donate the money to needy causes. If someone chooses to spend their money on a nativity....it is THEIR choice. Somehow I think anyone willing to spend money on this is PROBABLY helping others in some financial way...even if it is just dropping some money into Salvation Army kettles. I would rather see this money being spent on a nativity rather than it being spent on many, many other things.
open minded

Harrisonville, PA

#16 Nov 16, 2010
why dont everyone wake up and see we all been brainwashed into believeing theres a god! there aint! i agree, spend the money where it will do some real good!
hmmmmmm

Greencastle, PA

#17 Nov 16, 2010
as a non-theist...I say it sounds like a good plan.

the theists can have their nativity scene to look at and it's not on public land.

win-win all around.

happy winter solstice everyone.
papaul

Aspers, PA

#18 Nov 16, 2010
reformed C-burger wrote:
They are going to spend that much money on a Nativity?? Think of the people they could actually help with that money instead!!
But I guess building a 'scene' is more important than providing food for the food bank, clothes, shoes & coats for those in need, helping to keep the homeless shelter running, donating to the utilities program or to a school.
What do you think Jesus would say right now about this waste of money from some of his followers when there is REAL need out there??
You must be one of te athiests !!! Why don't you feed the hungry and we'll donate to build the Nativity. I believe it was Christ who broke bread and fed thousands !
papaul

Aspers, PA

#19 Nov 16, 2010
Oh No wrote:
To who and Where do I send a check?
DITTO !!

Just tell me who to make the check out to !!!
papaul

Aspers, PA

#20 Nov 16, 2010
Let me count the ways wrote:
Spending money on one's own interests is done every day. We buy tickets to football games, get our nails done, go to the movies, visit craft shows, play bingo, golf, bowl, buy hunting licenses, install swimming pools, stop for coffee each morning, use gas drving around to see Christmas lights, play fantasy football, buy books to read, and obviously subscribe to the internet. What do you spend your money on, former C-burger? Maybe you could give up some of these things and donate the money to needy causes. If someone chooses to spend their money on a nativity....it is THEIR choice. Somehow I think anyone willing to spend money on this is PROBABLY helping others in some financial way...even if it is just dropping some money into Salvation Army kettles. I would rather see this money being spent on a nativity rather than it being spent on many, many other things.
Very well said !
Brian F

Chambersburg, PA

#21 Nov 16, 2010
-shrug-

If the theists had just done this to begin with there wouldn't have BEEN a complaint.

Idiots.
Nowwhat

Davenport, IA

#22 Nov 16, 2010
Stay tuned to see the next attack engineering by the Godless horde. They won't let this rest.
Dan the Man

Hanover, PA

#23 Nov 16, 2010
I wonder how the religious right would respond if someone built a shrine to atheism or Islam on private ground downtown with private funds?
M_Yass

Chambersburg, PA

#24 Nov 16, 2010
to honor atheist war veterans

What about Christian, Jewish, and Muslim veterans. Sound like you PA non believers are the ones who are not being equal. You like to put yourselves out there and make it look like you are fighting for something, but instead you are just sad shells of human beings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chambersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christian music only on schoolbus (Sep '12) Nov 14 Poppy 69
Arresting hillary clinton Nov 9 GenPatton 2
News Police: Woman drove drunk with child in the car Oct '16 Steve Gratman 4
giving away household goods tonight! Oct '16 benjaminmecom 1
rte 30 early mornings (Jan '12) Sep '16 pmn 16
News Body found near Southgate Shopping Center (Oct '10) Sep '16 matt 47
vincent eugene martz Sep '16 friend 1

Chambersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chambersburg Mortgages