Food Palace brings Indian food to town

Food Palace brings Indian food to town

There are 18 comments on the Public Opinion story from Nov 12, 2008, titled Food Palace brings Indian food to town. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

At last, we can get wonderful Indian food right here in Chambersburg! The Food Palace, which opened recently at 114 S. Main St., offers a wide array of foods, including Indian, Italian and American dishes at ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

Why Worry

Gettysburg, PA

#1 Nov 18, 2008
I have to admit that this is another good restaurant that has joined the down town eatery's. If the economy can afford it, these restaurants might just revitalize the central core.
Freddy

United States

#2 Nov 20, 2008
Does this restaurant also have Latino and Cajun foods?

Iris, do they have scrumptious dessert too? How about a liquor license?

I have relatives in Arkansas. I wish we'd get a good pulled pork barbecue place!

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#3 Nov 20, 2008
OOOO this sounds so good. Too bad they toned down the spices. That is what is best about Indian food.

Since: Dec 07

Chambersburg, PA

#4 Nov 21, 2008
Yes, the spices are toned down... but people around here are scared of spice, or anything that isn't smothered in salt and gravy (sorry everyone).

The food isn't traditional Indian; it's actually more of a hodgepodge of various cultures with offerings from American (burgers, sandwiches), Greek (gyros, baklava, souvlaki), Indian (tandoori, tikka masala, kabobs), Middle Eastern (falafel) and Italian (pizza, calzones). I think this is the type of place where you could satisfy a group consisting of picky eaters who have a narrow range of foods they'll eat, to those who enjoy a cultural variety.

The buffet is, for the most part, mediocre and small... I recommend trying them out and taking a chance on something you've never had before.

Chicken Tikka or butter chicken w/ jasmine rice is a great starting place for Indian food.

Chambersburg, PA

#5 Nov 21, 2008
Oh... one last thing; wish they were open Sundays :/

You'd think that with all the churches downtown, and so few eateries open downtown, this would be Food Palace's chance to differentiate themselves.
only me

Chambersburg, PA

#6 Nov 21, 2008
When Cafe D'Italia first opened they were open on Sunday because we went there. Then the next Sunday we went they had changed their hours to being closed on Sundays. During the week I stopped and while there I asked the waitress and she said there was not enough business to remain open on Sundays. They might try it again this spring. Maybe that's the story with all the restaurants downtown.

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Nov 21, 2008
That's definitely possible; I guess I have this false perception that the churches draw thousands of people downtown... heck, I think the King Street Church alone must pull in at least 1,000 on a typical Sunday.

But then again... do they go out to eat after church? I grew up Catholic, and we always grabbed a bite after mass. It was kind of our reward for sitting through it (sue me).

I guess most people here are old-school protestant that don't believe in doing anything on Sunday. Which is ok... but I know I would go. Perhaps on that first weekend no one knew that they were even there?

Can anyone shed light on church denominations that may discourage restaurant dining on Sundays?

“Not fallen”

Since: May 08

WalMartBoro, PA

#8 Nov 21, 2008
Coppy wrote:
Yes, the spices are toned down... but people around here are scared of spice, or anything that isn't smothered in salt and gravy (sorry everyone).
The food isn't traditional Indian; it's actually more of a hodgepodge of various cultures with offerings from American (burgers, sandwiches), Greek (gyros, baklava, souvlaki), Indian (tandoori, tikka masala, kabobs), Middle Eastern (falafel) and Italian (pizza, calzones). I think this is the type of place where you could satisfy a group consisting of picky eaters who have a narrow range of foods they'll eat, to those who enjoy a cultural variety.
The buffet is, for the most part, mediocre and small... I recommend trying them out and taking a chance on something you've never had before.
Chicken Tikka or butter chicken w/ jasmine rice is a great starting place for Indian food.
I've never eaten the Indian culture food. This might be a good place for me to get my feet wet, however. Had I been initially introduced to Mexican cuisine in it's authenticity, I would never eaten it again. For example, an American version of a tamale is completely different from true Mexican. The first time I was served a true tamale, I wasn't sure how to eat it.

Location hidden

#9 Nov 21, 2008
BGSU wrote:
<quoted text>I've never eaten the Indian culture food. This might be a good place for me to get my feet wet, however. Had I been initially introduced to Mexican cuisine in it's authenticity, I would never eaten it again. For example, an American version of a tamale is completely different from true Mexican. The first time I was served a true tamale, I wasn't sure how to eat it.
Ha Ha, I could see you trying to though. When I was prego my friend had his wife make me tamales all the time. I swear I would eat anything spicy then.
jeff

Fayetteville, PA

#10 Nov 21, 2008
Coppy wrote:
That's definitely possible; I guess I have this false perception that the churches draw thousands of people downtown... heck, I think the King Street Church alone must pull in at least 1,000 on a typical Sunday.
But then again... do they go out to eat after church? I grew up Catholic, and we always grabbed a bite after mass. It was kind of our reward for sitting through it (sue me).
I guess most people here are old-school protestant that don't believe in doing anything on Sunday. Which is ok... but I know I would go. Perhaps on that first weekend no one knew that they were even there?
Can anyone shed light on church denominations that may discourage restaurant dining on Sundays?
could it be that people are trying to cut costs and dining out on sundays is a great start. doesnt anybody cook at home anymore??
qwerty

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Nov 21, 2008
I see lots of "church people" when I'm dining out on Sundays. We were disappointed 2 weeks ago when we went downtown on Sunday hoping to try one of the new restaurants for lunch. The streets were empty and all the restaurants closed, except for Tito's, which we were too chicken to try. I realize now that was a mistake and one of these next weeks we'll go there.

Here's my plea....please restaurant owners, give Sunday another try. With a little advertising I'll bet you could draw in the King Street and Falling Spring diners as well as those of us who worship outside of town. Please give us an alternative to the chain eateries and a reason to come downtown.

liz26

United States

#12 Nov 21, 2008
Coppy wrote:
I don't know about churches that discourage restaurant dining on Sundays, but I have great memories of walking down to "The Cafe" across from the library almost every Sunday after leaving Corpus Christi Church. Those were the days --- now there's nothing open on Sundays.

“TOUCHE..tehehee”

Since: Oct 08

Plainfield, NJ

#13 Nov 21, 2008
Yummy..this sounds like good eats!!

“Divine Hag”

Briar Patch

#14 Nov 21, 2008
The buffet is definitely small. Most of the food is good, but the cost doesn't match the offerings.

I enjoyed every bit of the food I tried though and I wish Food Palace all the best!!
Ignatio Mendez

Camden, NJ

#15 Nov 21, 2008
i tried the chickeen but i think taste was more like a house kitty...very tastie!!! Thank you!!!
Rib Guy

Riverside, NJ

#16 Nov 21, 2008
Ignatio Mendez wrote:
i tried the chickeen but i think taste was more like a house kitty...very tastie!!! Thank you!!!
What is this facination w/ eating cats and dogs. This guy seems to have a fascination with the death of domestic pets. Jeffry Dahmer comes to mind. Since the first Chinese places opened in this dining outland, I've endured comments like this from these cultural cretins. Take a walk through the frozen food room at Johnnie's and you can see the entrees they line up for at the local "poke n' choke" restaurants. Just add a can of gravy and they will swoon; " I shur got my money's worth" Or "I dint go way hungry."

Chambersburg, PA

#17 Nov 22, 2008
qwerty wrote:
Here's my plea....please restaurant owners, give Sunday another try. With a little advertising I'll bet you could draw in the King Street and Falling Spring diners as well as those of us who worship outside of town. Please give us an alternative to the chain eateries and a reason to come downtown.
I agree with qwerty and I didn't think there was any kind of discouragement from churches when it comes to going out to eat on Sundays. People around here just aren't used to places being open, and I think that if they were, people would eventually start going. Also, Tito's food is excellent... yes, it's a little Mexican grocery but there's nothing to be scared of. They have an English menu and the folks working there are very friendly.

As for cooking at home... I cook at home every day of the week, but I like to go out on weekends. I also like to support local restaurants, and not being open on Sundays just sends all the Sunday diners to the chains. They don't need more money. Cracker Barrel and Applebee's are packed on Sundays... I'd just love to see some of that crowd eat local instead.

BTW, the Food Palace gyro's and falafel are excellent and they make their own tzatziki (the gyro yogurt sauce)... I need to go back at dinner and try their curry or various kebabs.
waleed

Lafayette Hill, PA

#18 Jul 25, 2009
IT Definantly is a great place. and to coment on what someone said before, it is open on sundays. and I heard that they are adding more things to the menu, So i think it will be much better now.

I Would recomend it to all,!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chambersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
chambersburg pa walmart Jul 22 Martz friend 4
Best Dining In Chambersburg, Part three (Jan '12) Jul 17 Diner 1,105
Keep A Word Drop A Word (Jun '11) Jul 4 trooper dude 646
white jeep patriot Jul 2 Martz friends 1
News 3 teens charged for assault of guard at South M... (Feb '11) Jul 1 Ctrek75 13
News Tennis courts turned into public skate park (Jun '08) Jun 28 Bmxboy1 31
News Police log (May '12) Jun '16 GenPatton 10

Chambersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chambersburg Mortgages