The Great Waldo Pepper

Chambersburg, PA

#755 Feb 7, 2013
Marisa wrote:
<quoted text>We flew out of Lost Acres, a grass strip on Mower Road. That's where the 1938 U.S. Army Stearman trainer is hangared at. I'm sure you know the plane. Grass strips are great for taildraggers.
Nice talking to you :-)
Yes!Yes! I know the Stearman, it's a beautiful plane. I don't see it much. Actually I rarely see any planes flying. I think a plane like the Stearman uses up 12 gallons an hour and it only goes around 50 to 60 miles an hour. So it's a very expensive plane to fly.

Why are you given bad judge marks? Don't people like planes and flying?
Paula Owens

Chambersburg, PA

#756 Feb 12, 2013
Effington wrote:
<quoted text>
Antibiotic-Free Meat Business Is Booming, Thanks To Chipotle
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/05/31/1...
Chipotle, which is growing so quickly that it's opening about three new locations each week, will slowly braise and sell about 120 million pounds of naturally raised pork, chicken and beef that meets its antibiotic-free standards.
Why Chipotle Insists on Humanely Raised Meat
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2008/05...
Chipotle's chief financial officer, Jack Hartung, plays down the effect of sustainable food on the company's sales. The real attraction, he says, lies in the fact that Chipotle serves freshly prepared food—employees grill chicken, mash avocados into guacamole and heat tortillas before customers' eyes in an open kitchen. "I can't tell you we're getting any specific sales increase from Food With Integrity," he says. "Many of our customers aren't even aware of it." While the company makes a point of saying it doesn't advertise, it does actively promote its sustainability program to investors and to the press.
Meet Your Meat: Chipotle Distributes Photos Of Farms That Supply Their Restaurants
http://consumerist.com/2007/06/13/meet-your-m...
Natural Meats: What a Difference at Chipotle Restaurants
http://voices.yahoo.com/natural-meats-differe...
The animals raised for Chipotle restaurants are raised on family farms or ranches, not in factory farms. The chickens used in Chipotle restaurants are 100% naturally raised which means no antibiotics are given. In addition, no arsenic is used with the chicken food. Some chicken growers think arsenic causes the chickens to grow faster.
Protein: We only serve white meat here
http://grist.org/sustainable-farming/protein-...
Our experience with the wonderful fast food restaurant chain Chipotle Mexican Grill has really brought [local supply chain farming] home to me. This is one fast food outfit whose heart is definitely in the right place. They keep pushing the envelope on local sourcing and ecologically friendly food. Using traditional long- and slow-cooking techniques, open kitchens, and integrity sourcing, their innovations have created quite a stir in the fast food industry.
Found mouse droppings in my food Saturday. Told management, they gave me a coupon. Your promtion of the place just went down the drain. Are you still willing to stand behind them? Mouse droppings and all that fresh, not processed, not chicken McNuggets food. Doesn't get any fresher then mouse droppings! Yuck!
Element Frau

Chambersburg, PA

#757 Feb 12, 2013
For those of you interested in checking out The Café@ Antrim Way (located inside Antrim Way Honda in Greencastle) they have an ad on Page 15 in the current issue of Trendsetter Magazine (arrived in my mail today (12 February 2013)). The ad includes a coupon for a buy one get one free breakfast or lunch (up to $10.00) and is valid through April 30th.

If you missed my previous post about this nifty little place, check out the first post on Page 31 of this thread.

Enjoy!
POSTER

Carlisle, PA

#758 Feb 14, 2013
So did anyone hear if the last liquor license for Franklin County was awarded yesterday? If we have to wait for the Public Opinion to report about it we may know by Memorial Day.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#759 Feb 14, 2013
POSTER wrote:
So did anyone hear if the last liquor license for Franklin County was awarded yesterday? If we have to wait for the Public Opinion to report about it we may know by Memorial Day.
HARRISBURG - The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board held off on making a decision Wednesday to award the last available liquor license in Franklin County.

Seven applicants were seeking a restaurant liquor license, which became available because of the county's growth in the last census.

A spokeswoman for the Liquor Control Board said the board will take action at a later date, which has yet to be determined.

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/news/ci_22...
POSTER

Carlisle, PA

#760 Feb 14, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
HARRISBURG - The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board held off on making a decision Wednesday to award the last available liquor license in Franklin County.
Seven applicants were seeking a restaurant liquor license, which became available because of the county's growth in the last census.
A spokeswoman for the Liquor Control Board said the board will take action at a later date, which has yet to be determined.
http://www.publicopiniononline.com/news/ci_22...
Thanks!!!
Mind Bend

Camp Hill, PA

#761 Feb 15, 2013
Does anyone know if "Leroy's Original Jamaican Jerk Chicken" restaurant is still open in Fayetteville? I drove by there today & didn't see any cars or other activity.

I will be really disappointed if they have indeed closed as I thought they had great food & a very friendly and cheerful staff!

Thanks.
creme brulee

Chambersburg, PA

#762 Feb 15, 2013
Was looking for something different. I am new to the area so I based my choice on the opinions of those on this dining forum.

Went to Kenzo's. I felt it was good but not as good as it was built up by most posters here. It was actually somewhat ordinary. Now don't get me wrong, I would probably go back.

I guess my expectations were pretty high based on the high ratings from here.
A word of advice for those that have not been there. Kenzo's is just a step or two up from a Chinese restaurant.

The Thai tea was way too sweet with too much milk and the squid salad was good but not great. The tofu appetizer was very bland, however the peanut dipping sauce was very good.

I had Thai curry, med spice, very good, but not great.

Like I said,mmaybe my expectations were high because of all the praising on the posts on this dining thread.

My advice would be to go and judge for yourself.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#763 Feb 15, 2013
creme brulee wrote:
Was looking for something different. I am new to the area so I based my choice on the opinions of those on this dining forum.
Went to Kenzo's. I felt it was good but not as good as it was built up by most posters here. It was actually somewhat ordinary. Now don't get me wrong, I would probably go back.
I guess my expectations were pretty high based on the high ratings from here.
A word of advice for those that have not been there. Kenzo's is just a step or two up from a Chinese restaurant.
The Thai tea was way too sweet with too much milk and the squid salad was good but not great. The tofu appetizer was very bland, however the peanut dipping sauce was very good.
I had Thai curry, med spice, very good, but not great.
Like I said,mmaybe my expectations were high because of all the praising on the posts on this dining thread.
My advice would be to go and judge for yourself.
I'm not sure where you're from, but we try to rate restaurants based on a "Chambersburg baseline." None of us are stupid enough to suggest any dining establishment in a town like this can rival a metropolitan area, or even a large suburb. We are far from those areas, and the only reason we even have a few decent places is due to our proximity to the highway.

Keeping that in mind, C-burg also lacks a large university presence which makes good service a hot commodity, especially with the chain restaurants coming into town.

There's also a huge lack of ethnic diversity in all of Franklin County, perhaps with the exception of a small number of (unwelcome) Hispanic immigrants in downtown Chambersburg.

Finally, when it comes to any dining establishment, I've learned that sticking to the "classics" will always return better results than going a little outside the margins. Kenzo's curries are not spectacular. They shine in their noodle, rice, and stir-fry entrees and their sushi is excellent. I'm pretty sure I've even mentioned that here.

I can't speak for their "squid salad" or "tofu appetizer." I've always avoided squid when dining out, for several reasons (bland, overpriced, overhyped, and too easy to fuck up) and "tofu appetizer" could mean anything, but their miso is great, their edemame is as good as it gets and their gyoza and satay are to die for.

But again, it's not just the food - it's the service. They know how to treat their regulars, and they provide everyone service with a smile. Not only is that unusual at Asian restaurants - these days - it's unusual at ALL restaurants.

Kenzo will always get 5 stars from me.

Location hidden

#764 Feb 15, 2013
Also, on exception to their "unspectacular curries" is the Beef Rendang... but if you ask for a spiciness level over 5, prepare your butthole. You've been warned.

I love spicy food, but a 7 seriously kicked my ass.

5 stars.
creme brulee

Chambersburg, PA

#766 Feb 16, 2013
Effington wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure where you're from, but we try to rate restaurants based on a "Chambersburg baseline." None of us are stupid enough to suggest any dining establishment in a town like this can rival a metropolitan area, or even a large suburb. We are far from those areas, and the only reason we even have a few decent places is due to our proximity to the highway.
Keeping that in mind, C-burg also lacks a large university presence which makes good service a hot commodity, especially with the chain restaurants coming into town.
There's also a huge lack of ethnic diversity in all of Franklin County, perhaps with the exception of a small number of (unwelcome) Hispanic immigrants in downtown Chambersburg.
Finally, when it comes to any dining establishment, I've learned that sticking to the "classics" will always return better results than going a little outside the margins. Kenzo's curries are not spectacular. They shine in their noodle, rice, and stir-fry entrees and their sushi is excellent. I'm pretty sure I've even mentioned that here.
I can't speak for their "squid salad" or "tofu appetizer." I've always avoided squid when dining out, for several reasons (bland, overpriced, overhyped, and too easy to fuck up) and "tofu appetizer" could mean anything, but their miso is great, their edemame is as good as it gets and their gyoza and satay are to die for.
But again, it's not just the food - it's the service. They know how to treat their regulars, and they provide everyone service with a smile. Not only is that unusual at Asian restaurants - these days - it's unusual at ALL restaurants.
Kenzo will always get 5 stars from me.
I am not from a city or even or close to a city. I am from an area very similar to Chambersburg. As I said, I will go back. I just felt the place was over rated and I disagree with your 5star rating. We all have different tastes. One might think xomething is great, another thinks it's not so great.

I also find your usage of cusring uncalled for on a thread that is used to promote dining. You want to do it on the political threads...fine and dandy. But show some class on this thread.
jshillin

Waynesboro, PA

#768 Feb 18, 2013
Winston Smith wrote:
I don't know if anyone is familiar with McCollum's BBQ on LWE in Fayetteville.
It's rather new, September of this year I believe.
Anyhow....my hubby LOVES BBQ and believes the best BBQ is south of the Mason Dixon and preferably in the Carolina's.
Well, he went out to McCollum's, had a bbq sandwich and said It was pretty darn good! For him to say that means IT IS GOOD!!!
The owner is Quinton McCollum, a very nice young man, and quite proud of his little restaurant. I think Mr. McCollum said he hails from North Carolina.
The location is 3630 LWE, across the street from the antique/flea market. It's in a cute little building. He has 3 tables. I believe he has tables outside in warmer weather. I think most people just order and take it home based on the smallness of the place.
Give it a try. The owner is super nice and I hope he does well.
Just a side note...in Greencastle there is a BBQ place and I am sorry I cannot remember the name...they sell supplies and have competitions. Mr. McCollum has participated in them. Last year the place in Greencastle had one and the money went to Wounded Warriors. My husband was at it and said it was great,plus a lot of money was raised for our wounded warriors.
McCollums BBQ has a website. Just google it.
I just went to try it, but found out they are only open Wednesday through Sunday... Maybe another time...

“Snarko ergo sum!”

Since: Jan 10

West of the Moon, PA

#769 Feb 20, 2013
Effington wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting news, and too bad since Bob was a vocal proponent of downtown Chambersburg development. Hopefully it will continue in that way and we can look forward to new menu items at Cafe d'Italia.
Brick oven pizza would be an awesome addition (hint, hint, wink, wink).
There was an article in Wed.s Public Opinion on Café d'Italia's new owners and menu. It can still be found on the Chambersburg news link on the right side of this page. I'm looking forward to trying their new menu. They mentioned working together with Tuscarora Winery for tastings and food pairing.
Foodie05

Oaklyn, NJ

#770 Feb 23, 2013
I just don't know why everyone keeps supporting these chain corporate restaurants. I'm tired of waiting 2hours for a table and another 2 hrs for the food. Ridiculous! I could drive to manhattan and have a top notch meal by the time I walk out the door of these shot restaurants.
As usual, my wife and I have become loyal customers at Hoover's Grill. Just last night four of us dined there for dinner...and everything was remarkable! Friday night is there seafood night. I enjoyed the the almond citrus crusted salmon $12.95. My wife had the Yucatan pico de gallo salmon $12.95. My mom went with the crab cakes (huge; jumbo lump $16.95. And my dad went for the Thai Cubano stir fry with shrimp $11.95. Everything was excellent; we met the chef/one of the owners and chatted for a while...a delightful fellow.
We just booked their rear dining room for a dinner party of 30.

Guys... Check them out; they got something great over there. www.facebook.com/HooversGrill
Cal gal

Chambersburg, PA

#771 Feb 24, 2013
My ma came in from San Francisco. I took her to the finest joints in Chambersburg.
First we hit Green Village for their over sized breakfast. It was super. We did a little cruising around and then it was time for lunch. We hit Hoovers Grill WOW WEE!!!! What a meal. Better then what I get in San Fran. More cruising and now it's super supper time. Guess where we went? We hit the Olive Garden. Ma likes the place. I'm okay with it but would prefer an authentic Italian restaurant if I'm spending that kind of money.
Well that was day one of me and Ma. If I don't forget I'll check in for for day two and update what we did.

Lated Gator,

Cal gal

“Snarko ergo sum!”

Since: Jan 10

West of the Moon, PA

#772 Feb 27, 2013
Booze news flash! Montezuma's Wayne Ave. location will get last new liquor license for Franklin Co. Also the Borough Council passed the new BYOB regs. which are far less restrictive the original proposal. Restaurants would need to apply for a permit and limit hours for consumption to 11AM to 11PM.

Location hidden

#773 Feb 27, 2013
Snarky Rules wrote:
Booze news flash! Montezuma's Wayne Ave. location will get last new liquor license for Franklin Co. Also the Borough Council passed the new BYOB regs. which are far less restrictive the original proposal. Restaurants would need to apply for a permit and limit hours for consumption to 11AM to 11PM.
Happy to hear it - Montezuma's is, by far, the most busy of the restaurants making the claim and deserved it in my opinion. I still don't understand why Hat's and Johnny's were trying for it. Although some lady on Facebook in the article yesterday preached her dismay at the possibility of Hat's getting a liquor license so close to the school. "No reason to contribute to underage drinking!" Oh grandma, kids don't get the booze from restaurants...
POSTER

Carlisle, PA

#774 Feb 28, 2013
Johnny's I would guess may of just wanted the license to resell and make some money. The owner's of Hat's put in for the license on behalf of their former owner. Not sure what his plans were for the license.
Just Sayina

Chambersburg, PA

#775 Mar 9, 2013
I just had a very good crab cake dinner at AJ's Restaurant on Wayne Ave. (not pricey and they only have them on Fri).

Location hidden

#776 Mar 11, 2013
Just Sayina wrote:
I just had a very good crab cake dinner at AJ's Restaurant on Wayne Ave.(not pricey and they only have them on Fri).
I'm a big fan of AJ's, it's a solid spot for lunch. I probably wouldn't do their dinners since it's kind of typical, local restaurant fare but I'm sure it's good if their sandwiches are any indication. Only serving crab cakes one day a week probably ensures quality, so I definitely approve of that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chambersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cold Case: The murder of Freddie Brumfield & th... (Jun '12) Thu Carmella 5
News 3 doctors on trial for sponges left in Newburg ... (Mar '10) Wed dirt bag Rashid 75
Word Game _ Change A Letter (Jun '11) Tue Julia 569
let's play post one word only ! (Sep '09) Tue Julia 212
Keep A Word Drop A Word (Jun '11) Tue Julia 636
Direct Tv Refer A Friend, & Save On Bill. Mar 21 LiLbRaNdIkInS 1
Bethany Crabtree Mar 16 curioussuperhero 1
Chambersburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chambersburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]