Best Dining In Chambersburg, Part three

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#611 Dec 8, 2012
Sunset Diner scheduled to open on Monday. Seems to be a real diner: open 24/7, breakfast served all day, huge menu. It's the same folks who own Shippensburg Select (post-Greek).

In other news: Olive Garden is open and to less fanfare than I expected. Chipotle is coming along slowly. Another diner looks like it's going to open at the Ponderosa location (so traffic will continue to suck at that intersection).

Does anyone know who ended up getting that last liquor license in Chambersburg? The one that Town & Country, Montezuma's, Norland Grille, Johnnie's and Hat's Heros were all applying for?
snooper and blabber

Chambersburg, PA

#613 Dec 10, 2012
Effington wrote:
Sunset Diner scheduled to open on Monday. Seems to be a real diner: open 24/7, breakfast served all day, huge menu. It's the same folks who own Shippensburg Select (post-Greek).
In other news: Olive Garden is open and to less fanfare than I expected. Chipotle is coming along slowly. Another diner looks like it's going to open at the Ponderosa location (so traffic will continue to suck at that intersection).
Does anyone know who ended up getting that last liquor license in Chambersburg? The one that Town & Country, Montezuma's, Norland Grille, Johnnie's and Hat's Heros were all applying for?
let me guess---you are one fat man. all you do is talk about food. are you david crosby?

Location hidden

#614 Dec 10, 2012
snooper and blabber wrote:
<quoted text>let me guess---you are one fat man. all you do is talk about food. are you david crosby?
For the life of me, I can't understand what compels people to come here just to be nasty. What purpose does it serve? Criticizing others, making assumptions - when obviously the one with the problem is you.

Also, David Crosby? Of all the celebrities you could have chosen, you went with David Crosby? Honestly, for a big, balding, diabetic hippy with a transplanted liver and a history of drug and alcohol abuse, Crosby's aged pretty well.

I'm sort of flattered.
Transplant from CA

United States

#615 Dec 10, 2012
Uh know what these people are thinking.. I drove past the resturant and it appears to have a good lunch crowd.
Effington wrote:
<quoted text>
For the life of me, I can't understand what compels people to come here just to be nasty. What purpose does it serve? Criticizing others, making assumptions - when obviously the one with the problem is you.
Also, David Crosby? Of all the celebrities you could have chosen, you went with David Crosby? Honestly, for a big, balding, diabetic hippy with a transplanted liver and a history of drug and alcohol abuse, Crosby's aged pretty well.
I'm sort of flattered.
snooper and blabber

Chambersburg, PA

#616 Dec 10, 2012
Effington wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sort of flattered.
I guess that answers my question....you are big and fat.

by the way the david crosby i was refering to is a poster here on topix.
Dan the Man

Chambersburg, PA

#617 Dec 10, 2012
<quoted text>I guess that answers my question....you are big and fat.
Make up your mind.
<quoted text>good! and don't come out you fat over the hill singer
snooper and blabber

Chambersburg, PA

#618 Dec 10, 2012
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Make up your mind.
<quoted text>
dude you really need to get a life! what do you do---lurk behind that screen of yours day in and day out just waiting to pounce on a post? to bad you don' t put that much energy into job hunting or volunteer work. get a life dude---GET A LIFE.
snooper and blabber

Chambersburg, PA

#619 Dec 10, 2012
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Make up your mind.
<quoted text>
by the way dude if you look at my post i said david crosby was the name of a poster to. so whats your beef? no one to talk ti today so your just strolling the threads looking for something to do. try getting a life.

Location hidden

#620 Dec 10, 2012
<quoted text>I guess that answers my question....you are big and fat.
Fat like a FOX! OH man, you are too pathetic for words snoopy. Going online to tell people to get a life? It's such glorious irony.

David Crosby the poster? lol. I guess he's fat too because he said he likes pizza or something.

You have no fucking clue what you're talking about - so why bother trying?
Someone Special

Chambersburg, PA

#621 Dec 10, 2012
Its nice to see things have changed around here. FOr the love of god, quit pissing on each other. In other news, Nina's Kitchen opened up on 12 w. King st. and it is AMAZING. Real authentic Puerto Rican and Dominican food that is all home cooked and is absolutely phenomenal. And super inexpensive, three full meals with drinks for $25. I had the pork and my Brother and Dad had the chicken. The pork was outstanding and the chicken was really flavorful. The location is a bit off the beaten path, but you can't beat the food and I hope it sticks around.
POSTER

Mount Holly Springs, PA

#622 Dec 11, 2012
Is this in Chambersburg??
Someone Special wrote:
Its nice to see things have changed around here. FOr the love of god, quit pissing on each other. In other news, Nina's Kitchen opened up on 12 w. King st. and it is AMAZING. Real authentic Puerto Rican and Dominican food that is all home cooked and is absolutely phenomenal. And super inexpensive, three full meals with drinks for $25. I had the pork and my Brother and Dad had the chicken. The pork was outstanding and the chicken was really flavorful. The location is a bit off the beaten path, but you can't beat the food and I hope it sticks around.

“Dewey Wins”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#623 Dec 11, 2012
Poster, yes Nina's Kitchen is right here in town on KIng street. It is located across the street and a little up from from Mcleary Oil and I will second that the food is extremely good.

Location hidden

#624 Dec 12, 2012
Nice, thanks for the tip on Nina's, I will definitely check it out.

Any examples of some of the dishes they offer? Recommendations?
hungry

Greencastle, PA

#625 Dec 13, 2012
It opened on Dec 7th. We went on Sat.
We had 4 of us and tried the pepper steak, roast Pork, and Chicken stew. It came with one side,(white rice, red beans and rice, and red beans.
We thought it was pretty good ans tasty food.
The only complaint was the cost. For the four of us it was over $40. We didn't think it was a good value even if it was well prepared.
You have two choice Dine in $10 per plate or Take out $8.50. I would eat there again if it were in the 6 to $7 dollar range, but with Kenzo, the Korean Bulgogi house, and other at lower prices at as good or better food, they will need to lower to stay competitive.
Also, I donlt know what it is but we are getting 3 more food places. Sunset diner (open 24 hrs) open. I can't see it making it because of location, location, location.
Chbg Family Diner is going in the old Ponderosa, also says open 24 hrs. Better location but wi have to see how good the food is. And finally the Old Hoss's (by Walmart) has sign that says Hibachi Buffet coming soon. We will see how they all make out. So Nina's Kitchen had good to very good food but we thought was a little overpriced. The Family was very friendly and hospitible, so I hope they make a go of it.
Marisa

Chambersburg, PA

#626 Dec 13, 2012
Whowants2cook wrote:
Poster, yes Nina's Kitchen is right here in town on KIng street. It is located across the street and a little up from from Mcleary Oil and I will second that the food is extremely good.
I know where McCleary Oil is but I can't place the location of the restaurant. Is it east or west from McCleary?

I remember many years ago there was a great Indonesian restaurant, Oki's, was the name. It was by Fort Chambers, the building where Oki's was at has been torn down. Oki's moved to S. Main St. I can't remember how long it was there. It didn't seem to last long at that location. This was in the late 80's, early 90's, Something like that.

The couple that ran Oki's, named the place after their son. I think the last name is Ali. Not real sure. I do know Mr. Ali passed away some time ago. That might be the reason that the restaurant closed. I know Mrs. Ali is still alive because I saw her the other day.
salsify

Chambersburg, PA

#629 Dec 14, 2012
FYI for the readers, Kenzo has new special rolls for the holidays. I tried the tasty Domino roll (each piece topped with sauce dots mimicking a domino piece) and the great special appetizer of squid salad. I asked about ordering a roll with soy paper wrap instead of nori, as some folk (H) have trouble with the texture of the seaweed paper. We learned that any roll can be had with soy paper instead of nori for a 1$ extra. And, IMHO, any restaurant styled with the word "Buffet" in its name bodes not well.

Location hidden

#630 Dec 14, 2012
Lots of great info here - I'm also curious about the 24 hours diners popping up. It looks like the local Greek families will be seeing double competition, with both the chains and actual diners opening.

I haven't been to Kenzo in almost too weeks - the girls might be starting to worry! What other restaurant goes through so much trouble to learn every customer's name!

I agree that their prices are excellent, particularly their lunch specials - but as for Nina's,$10/person sounds perfectly reasonable for freshly prepared entrees. People routinely pay that at Applebees and Olive Garden, and their food is pre-frozen or vacuum sealed.
POSTER

Mount Holly Springs, PA

#631 Dec 14, 2012
Marisa wrote:
<quoted text>I know where McCleary Oil is but I can't place the location of the restaurant. Is it east or west from McCleary?
I remember many years ago there was a great Indonesian restaurant, Oki's, was the name. It was by Fort Chambers, the building where Oki's was at has been torn down. Oki's moved to S. Main St. I can't remember how long it was there. It didn't seem to last long at that location. This was in the late 80's, early 90's, Something like that.
The couple that ran Oki's, named the place after their son. I think the last name is Ali. Not real sure. I do know Mr. Ali passed away some time ago. That might be the reason that the restaurant closed. I know Mrs. Ali is still alive because I saw her the other day.
Oki's had the BEST spring rolls!!!!!!
Marisa

Chambersburg, PA

#632 Dec 14, 2012
salsify wrote:
FYI for the readers, Kenzo has new special rolls for the holidays. I tried the tasty Domino roll (each piece topped with sauce dots mimicking a domino piece) and the great special appetizer of squid salad. I asked about ordering a roll with soy paper wrap instead of nori, as some folk (H) have trouble with the texture of the seaweed paper. We learned that any roll can be had with soy paper instead of nori for a 1$ extra. And, IMHO, any restaurant styled with the word "Buffet" in its name bodes not well.
SQUID SALAD!!! Is it anything like the squid sald that the Thai's make? I can never remember the name, but recognize it when I see it on the menu.

The Thai squid salad is VERY spicy. The only place I found one that I like is at Amy's Thai in Carlisle.

Kenzo's is Japanese and Asian.....so I am very curious about their squid salad. Tell me about it.

Thanks!:-)

Location hidden

#633 Dec 14, 2012
Marisa wrote:
Kenzo's is Japanese and Asian.....so I am very curious about their squid salad. Tell me about it.
Thanks!:-)
I'm pretty sure Japanese is Asian... Kenzo is sort of a mix of Japanese along with Thai, Vietnamese and Malaysian cuisine. The Japanese is pretty straightforward with the sushi bar and some entrees, like the hibachi and bento, but the other components are more of an "Asian fusion" which is increasingly popular theme in restaurants that showcase flavors of several countries, typically outside of Japan and China.

Are you think of Yum Pla Muk for the Thai squid salad?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chambersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police log (May '12) May 27 testing 6
Keep A Word Drop A Word (Jun '11) May 18 _Zoey_ 645
let's play post one word only ! (Sep '09) May 18 _Zoey_ 230
News Mont Alto constable named (Aug '08) Apr '16 Amy 27
Southgate Mall Laundromat Mar '16 bus 6
News 3 doctors on trial for sponges left in Newburg ... (Mar '10) Feb '16 Anon 76
News Chambersburg snow removal: 'We weren't able to ... (Feb '10) Jan '16 Clarissa 105
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chambersburg Mortgages