Best Dining In Chambersburg, Part three
Dr Katz

Greencastle, PA

#364 Jun 17, 2012
S.O.B.R.: Doctor, I get angry when I read the dining thread!
Doctor: Don't read the dining thread.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#365 Jun 17, 2012
The old Peggy's is turning over pretty quick - a "Bob's Burgers and Fries" sign is already up and they seem to be hiring.

This should be interesting. Could Bob's be a gourmet burger shop, with unique variations of burgers, various cheeses, interesting condiments, and exciting flavor combinations?

Will it be a simple burger place that does burgers in a more classic style, but using quality beef ground on site and only the freshest ingredients?

Or will it just be another Kenny's?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Deafington

United States

#366 Jun 18, 2012
Effington wrote:
We'll talk about any restaurant, this isn't a New York Times article, it's an internet forum.
You'll talk about any restaurant... as long as it is one of the same 4 or 5 restaurants that are repeatedly reviewed here, over and over. Mention a restaurant Effington dislikes, and prepare to be mocked and demeaned.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Deafington

United States

#367 Jun 18, 2012
Effington wrote:
Talk about the easy way out... although I do find it a bit comical that someone listed as being in Newville would call Chambersburg "hickville."
It's a wonder your ISP isn't listed as "Tower", since you're sitting in it all the time.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
POSTER

Shippensburg, PA

#368 Jun 18, 2012
Just curious, anyone know where the Liquor License for Webb's Sports Bar came from???

Location hidden

#369 Jun 18, 2012
POSTER wrote:
Just curious, anyone know where the Liquor License for Webb's Sports Bar came from???
I can't find much information... it seems the PO did run a "business profile" on Webb's at some point, but the article has since been removed and isn't available cached or in the PO archive search.

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/news/ci_20...

I'm more curious to see what happens with the AB applications at Johnny's and Hat's.

Also of note, that Texas Roadhouse is going up quick - they were putting the sign up today.

One last thing to note, if anyone wants to talk about non-Chambersburg restaurants... I was at Cafe Bruges this past weekend in Carlisle and I must say that I had a fantastic experience. A huge selection of Belgian beer plus the moules and frites (mussels steamed with beer, garlic, leeks and bacon plus fries) are amazing.

I was sort of inspired by the discussion here this weekend about how we only talk about the "same 4 restaurants" over and over. Maybe it is time to move the discussion outside of Chambersburg. I don't want the discussion to be stale, but I will continue to unapologetically criticize local restaurants that sucks. If that makes you scared of commenting about them, see ya later.
POSTER

Shippensburg, PA

#370 Jun 18, 2012
I am going to make my prediction and say the last liquor license will be awarded to either Cafe d'Italia or to Town & country. I cannot see that last license going to hat's or to johnnies. norland pub might also have a shot for it also to be used at the old Edith's location although I would like to see more info on what they have planned for that location.

Location hidden

#371 Jun 18, 2012
POSTER wrote:
I am going to make my prediction and say the last liquor license will be awarded to either Cafe d'Italia or to Town & country. I cannot see that last license going to hat's or to johnnies. norland pub might also have a shot for it also to be used at the old Edith's location although I would like to see more info on what they have planned for that location.
Yeah, I've heard mixed reports. It's a small building, so I don't see how they can keep the separate restaurant/tavern sections that so many places around here seem to utilize - either because of the type of liquor license the establishment has, to bypass anti-smoking laws, or because of some backward business model that hasn't been relevant for 20 years. Then again, who knows. I don't go to the Pub because they refuse to provide table service for drinks only. A simple, but relevant complaint in my opinion. Plus, other than the deck, I don't think they've done much improvement or renovating since the Bush administration. The first one.

There might be more than one in play here too, and I'm not sure if these are transferred licenses, newly created ones (I believe someone here mentioned that to be the case) or the confusingly elusive "economic development license."

What I do know is that Chambersburg is still missing out on a potentially lucrative niche market fulfilled by a brewpub or sports bar.
Rock Hoover

Chambersburg, PA

#372 Jun 19, 2012
Effington wrote:
The old Peggy's is turning over pretty quick - a "Bob's Burgers and Fries" sign is already up and they seem to be hiring.
This should be interesting. Could Bob's be a gourmet burger shop, with unique variations of burgers, various cheeses, interesting condiments, and exciting flavor combinations?
Will it be a simple burger place that does burgers in a more classic style, but using quality beef ground on site and only the freshest ingredients?
Or will it just be another Kenny's?
Interesting question. I watch a lot of diners, drive ins, and dives on the food network and I always get envious when these towns have these little sandwich dives that are run by people who truly take pride in the food they serve and aren't out simply out to turn a profit while putting forth the least amount of effort. On Triple D you see both types of sandwich/burger places that you described Eff. It would be nice to see Bob's burgers and fries present themselves like 5 Guys. Don't over inflate the menu with a bunch of average choices. Instead focus on a few good things and make those few things totally kick ass.

Waynesburger in Waynesboro is pretty decent. I've eaten there twice in the time that they have been open. The burgers have a fresh, flavorful taste, but are a little on the small side.

Location hidden

#373 Jun 23, 2012
Already Bob's is looking like a much more organized effort than Peggy's was. The sign is up and it's a real logo complete with phone numbers and a "now hiring" notice. They do have their fax number on the sign which I found curious... do people still fax? I feel like a website or email address would be more helpful these days.

That said, I am looking forward to trying it. Like you said Rock, it would be great to have one of those unique, unexpectedly-good burger joints in the area. Especially since we don't have a Five Guys in Chambersburg and our local burger places are bland and boring.
POSTER

Shippensburg, PA

#374 Jun 28, 2012
I see that Hillside Tavern in Fannettsburg no longer has their liquor license for sale just the building. Wonder if this is where Webb's Sports Bar got their license???

Location hidden

#375 Jun 28, 2012
Update on Bob's - seems to be owned by the Rolling Mill Restaurant people in Waynesboro, who also seem to own Red Run Grill. I guess they bought the building back? Or maybe they were just leasing to Peggy's?
Not sure, but either way, that's what I know. Has anyone ever been to the Rolling Mills restaurant? It looks like they have beer - that's always a plus. I just never find myself going to Waynesboro for any reason ever.
i love food

Carlisle, PA

#376 Jun 28, 2012
I was at Kenzo's and later at Bulgari. Both okay. A few days later I went to Cafe Italia downtown on the square, it was okay too. Then off to Town and Country, it was okay.

Sorry, I just realized the above restaurants have been reveiwed over and over. Oh well, what's another reveiw?
Bell Tower

Chambersburg, PA

#377 Jun 28, 2012
Kenzo is a fabulous restaurant. Anyone who doesn't like it is obviously a hillbilly.
Add Something

Greencastle, PA

#378 Jun 28, 2012
i love food wrote:
I was at Kenzo's and later at Bulgari. Both okay. A few days later I went to Cafe Italia downtown on the square, it was okay too. Then off to Town and Country, it was okay.
Sorry, I just realized the above restaurants have been reveiwed over and over. Oh well, what's another reveiw?
My, you have been busy.You're quite the bon vivant!
And what dishes did you order at these places? How many spoons does each place rate? You wouldn't happen to know S.O.B.R would you?
i love food

Carlisle, PA

#379 Jun 29, 2012
Bell Tower wrote:
Kenzo is a fabulous restaurant. Anyone who doesn't like it is obviously a hillbilly.
you're funny calling me a hillbilly. I take it you haven't look around Franklin county lately and noticed it's full of hillbillies! You get excited over Kenzo's and you call me a hillbilly? Try leaving Franklin county sometime.

Location hidden

#380 Jun 29, 2012
i love food wrote:
<quoted text>you're funny calling me a hillbilly. I take it you haven't look around Franklin county lately and noticed it's full of hillbillies! You get excited over Kenzo's and you call me a hillbilly? Try leaving Franklin county sometime.
I try to rate restaurants based on location - it's certainly not fair to compare a Chambersburg restaurant to those in and around any metropolitan area. For the area, Kenzo is great. There are better Asian fusion restaurants out there, for sure. I've been to some of them. But, after all, this is the Chambersburg forum and part of my goal here is to give a bump to local places that deserve a try.

Towns like Chambersburg will always have chain restaurants that people know and go to thanks to billion dollar advertising campaigns, nostalgia and perception - real or imagined. It's why I tend to criticize chains... you know what they have, I know what they have, and an Olive Garden in Chambersburg is no different than an Olive Garden in El Paso. So why not give a shout-out to the little guys? Of course, just being an independent restaurant doesn't give anyone a pass for having shitty food.

Kenzo is my favorite place in town - it's the perfect combination of friendly service, comfortable atmosphere, reasonable prices, and unique, tasty food. But it has been discussed ad nauseam, so I'm all for hearing about YOUR favorite places and, most importantly, WHY.
i love food

Carlisle, PA

#381 Jun 29, 2012
Effington wrote:
<quoted text>
I try to rate restaurants based on location - it's certainly not fair to compare a Chambersburg restaurant to those in and around any metropolitan area. For the area, Kenzo is great. There are better Asian fusion restaurants out there, for sure. I've been to some of them. But, after all, this is the Chambersburg forum and part of my goal here is to give a bump to local places that deserve a try.
Towns like Chambersburg will always have chain restaurants that people know and go to thanks to billion dollar advertising campaigns, nostalgia and perception - real or imagined. It's why I tend to criticize chains... you know what they have, I know what they have, and an Olive Garden in Chambersburg is no different than an Olive Garden in El Paso. So why not give a shout-out to the little guys? Of course, just being an independent restaurant doesn't give anyone a pass for having shitty food.
Kenzo is my favorite place in town - it's the perfect combination of friendly service, comfortable atmosphere, reasonable prices, and unique, tasty food. But it has been discussed ad nauseam, so I'm all for hearing about YOUR favorite places and, most importantly, WHY.
Well it seems to me that when a place that is not the "usuals" that are constantly talked about, that poster is made fun of, insulted and even called names. So that is probably why the same few people come here and talk about the same restaurants "ad nauseam".

I think the insults and name calling has turned people off and don't come here because of it. Sooooo....the same posters with the same reveiws.

Location hidden

#382 Jun 30, 2012
i love food wrote:
<quoted text>Well it seems to me that when a place that is not the "usuals" that are constantly talked about, that poster is made fun of, insulted and even called names. So that is probably why the same few people come here and talk about the same restaurants "ad nauseam".
I think the insults and name calling has turned people off and don't come here because of it. Sooooo....the same posters with the same reveiws.
Then why are you here? What's the point of coming here and just whining about what others are posting? Why not contribute to the discussion? If you're afraid of being teased online, then maybe you're not ready for internet discussion.

You claim you love food - that's great. Tell us what you love. If you really care about it, then nothing anyone else can say should bother you.

For example, I have a serious weakness for Taco Bell. Honestly, I love it. I admit it's not good food - health or taste wise, but I really enjoy it. And I could probably go into painstaking detail as to WHY I enjoy it. I'm also not afraid to be made fun for it either.
mudd

Chambersburg, PA

#383 Jun 30, 2012
What is going infront of the days in on 30 didn't see any signs? They didn't rebuild the shoneys did they?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chambersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
We need a Home Depot or other competitor in the... 15 hr sparky120_240 2
Keep A Word Drop A Word (Jun '11) Aug 14 Anonymous 650
News Big retailer -- perhaps Wal-Mart -- planned for... (Jul '08) Aug 12 Adventurist 160
News Sex offender charged in new sexual assault case Aug 12 Adventurist 1
News Police: Woman dragged 200 ft. by car driven bya Aug 12 Adventurist 1
chambersburg pa walmart Aug 7 fulton county pa 7
Bad behavior from police Aug 5 martz friend 2

Chambersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chambersburg Mortgages