Employment and Illegal employement

Employment and Illegal employement

Posted in the Chambersburg Forum

Scott Spielman

AOL

#1 May 13, 2006
I sent a letter to the White House and this is the idea of the letter. I am a US Navy veteran from the years of 1970 to 1980 who had extensive electronics training. After that I worked primarily in Washington DC for a major US corperation servicing equipment for the government as well a private companies, law firms and lobby organizations. Yes I even did work at the White House. Now,even though I am in good health and obviously capable of most anything, I am only able to get a job that is paying $8.29/hr. I must work any hours they want, I must be able to carry 70 lb freight up ten foot ladders and still be knowledgeable to advise customers how to use a myriad of our products and put up with rude and inconsiderate people. I AM WORTH MORE THAN THIS. I also know that there are illegal alians making more than I for doing less. Give a real American a chance. And to the company that was willing to give me an interview until I revealed my age----------
Cburg homie

Chambersburg, PA

#2 Jul 22, 2012
Extensive training in the military is not a formal education....what degree do you have? None? Stop crying!
Really

Biglerville, PA

#3 Jul 23, 2012
Welcome to the free market, your services are worth what someone is willing to pay.

P.S. Unions are bad, they drive a wedge between the company and the workers.
Cburg Idiot

Chambersburg, PA

#4 Jul 23, 2012
Cburg homie wrote:
Extensive training in the military is not a formal education....what degree do you have? None? Stop crying!
You're an idiot. There is no way I would hire a college grad over a military vet with hands on experience. You obviously do not know what it cost to train and reeducate someone just because they have a college education in technical fields. This man is not crying. It takes months to find and hire someone with hands on experience the demand is very high for skilled technicians. This man’s point was illegal immigration has impacted the US work force and you cannot let this continue. It cheapens the privilege for those who came here legally. It also shows that if someone breaks the law then they are rewarded for it.
Cburg Idiot

Chambersburg, PA

#5 Jul 23, 2012
Really wrote:
Welcome to the free market, your services are worth what someone is willing to pay.
P.S. Unions are bad, they drive a wedge between the company and the workers.
Excellent point. They also drive up the cost of wages and products. Unions now days are antiquated to today’s workforce and seldom do they protect the hard working employee they only protect the bad apples that seem to always have problems with authority or other co-workers.
Dan the Man

Chambersburg, PA

#6 Jul 23, 2012
Cburg Idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent point. They also drive up the cost of wages and products. Unions now days are antiquated to today’s workforce and seldom do they protect the hard working employee they only protect the bad apples that seem to always have problems with authority or other co-workers.
It's become an article of faith on the right that unions are universally bad.

The only problem with that view is the remaining fact that there is a fundamental power differential between big business and workers, and business will screw over workers IN A SECOND if they can make an extra buck.

Case in point:

----------

Amazon warehouse work environment improved with air conditioning

Despite continued reports of grueling working conditions in Amazon's warehouses, the situation has been somewhat improved by the company's $52 million investment to retrofit older warehouses with air conditioning units. Amazon made the decision to install temporary air conditioning units in the Breinigsville, PA warehouse after The Morning Call reported that the warehouse heat index topped 110 degrees in the summer, and workers suffered heat-related injuries. Since, the company has replaced the temporary system in the Breinigsville warehouse with forty permanent roof-mounted air conditioning units, and added cooling systems to older warehouses countrywide.

After several heat related injuries in May of last year, Amazon began paying to have ambulances stationed in its parking lot on hot days. In June, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration opened an inspection of the facilities after getting complaints from doctors and employees. One complaint stated that 15 employees collapsed while working when the heat index rose above 100 degrees.
All new warehouses have air conditioning installed, but analysts like Forrester Research's Sucharita Mulpuru think the decision was likely made to protect food and electronic products, not workers. "I would like to think there was an element of humanity to the decision but there's nothing in Amazon's history or in Jeff Bezos' public persona that would lead me to think that was the driver of the decision.… Rarely has Amazon made any business decisions that didn't affect the bottom line."

----------

This his how it’s going to be in a post-union world. When the working conditions are so bad that ambulances have to be lined up outside the plant to deal with the injuries, the corporation may decide to change things if enough of their customers make some noise.
Dan the Man

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Jul 23, 2012
More from non-union Amazon's practices - pressuring workers to not report work injuries:

----------

Amazon warehouse jobs push workers to physical limit

"To put it simply, it's safer to work in an Amazon fulfillment center than in a department store."

But a federal lawsuit filed in Pennsylvania and interviews with a physician and warehouse workers in Washington and Kentucky suggest that the numbers Amazon is reporting may not tell the whole story.

In the lawsuit, settled in July, Amazon warehouse worker Paul Grady said a warehouse safety worker in Allentown, Pa., instructed him to tell emergency workers that his hip injury was not work-related, even though he says it was.
Three former workers at Amazon's warehouse in Campbellsville told The Seattle Times there was pressure to manage injuries so they would not have to be reported to OSHA, such as attributing workplace injuries to pre-existing conditions or treating wounds in a way that did not trigger federal reports.

Pam Wethington, a former Campbellsville employee, took several months off work in 2002 because of stress fractures in both feet. She says her doctor attributed the injury to walking miles on the concrete floors of the warehouse, but Amazon disputed that the fractures were work-related.

A former warehouse safety official said in-house medical staff were asked to treat wounds, when possible, with bandages rather than refer workers to a doctor for stitches that could trigger federal reports. And warehouse officials tried to advise doctors on how to treat injured workers.

"We had doctors who refused to work with us because they would have managers call and argue with them," he said.

----------

This shit doesn't go on in union shops. Unions equalize the power between management and workers, protecting workers' rights. Demonizing unions and driving them out of the workplace will inevitably result in serious violations of workers rights.

The right to organize is fundamental to the values of fairness and justice that America stands for.
Really

Biglerville, PA

#8 Jul 23, 2012
Cburg Idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
Right on brother, if we can get rid of unions we can drive wages and benefits down to better compete with foreign workers, bring back child labor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chambersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rte 30 early mornings (Jan '12) Sep 21 pmn 16
News Body found near Southgate Shopping Center (Oct '10) Sep 20 matt 47
vincent eugene martz Sep 18 friend 1
News Police log (Oct '08) Sep 17 matt raffer 5
Franklin County Drought Sep 14 RobertaP 2
News Fifth DUI: Go to jail, go directly.... (Aug '09) Sep 13 Lamarspoonhour 83
Best Dining In Chambersburg, Part three (Jan '12) Sep 6 Jshillin 1,109

Chambersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance