Sheetz planning new store

Sheetz planning new store

There are 136 comments on the Public Opinion story from Jun 15, 2009, titled Sheetz planning new store. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Sheetz is planning to construct a new store at the corner of Grindstone Hill Road and Buchanan Trail East in Antrim Township.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Up-the-Valley boys

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Jun 16, 2009
It would be great if Sheetz would put a store in at the corner of Route 30 and 75 in Ft Loudon. The only gas station in the area is Pensinger's and their gas is a lot higher than anyone else's. Also, the woman that managers the business is very unfriendly. I don't stop there any longer because of her and the gas prices.

“I AM Ft Loudon Mom”

Since: Feb 08

Ft Loudon, PA

#2 Jun 16, 2009
Up-the-Valley boys wrote:
It would be great if Sheetz would put a store in at the corner of Route 30 and 75 in Ft Loudon. The only gas station in the area is Pensinger's and their gas is a lot higher than anyone else's. Also, the woman that managers the business is very unfriendly. I don't stop there any longer because of her and the gas prices.
That will never happen BECAUSE of Don Pensinger. The gas actually isn't too bad, and the manager is Don's "girlfriend"
There was talk of putting a sheetz in here, but you see what they did put in, a truck lot..and why? Because Don owns a HUGE chunk of Ft Loudon.....figure it out
Andy

Jenkintown, PA

#3 Jun 16, 2009
stbernardmom wrote:
<quoted text>
That will never happen BECAUSE of Don Pensinger. The gas actually isn't too bad, and the manager is Don's "girlfriend"
There was talk of putting a sheetz in here, but you see what they did put in, a truck lot..and why? Because Don owns a HUGE chunk of Ft Loudon.....figure it out
Linda's a sweetie pie. I like to stop in and see her;-)

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#4 Jun 16, 2009
Up-the-Valley boys wrote:
The reason Pensinger's is so expensive is because there's no point in competing. They probably barely turn a profit as it is. Building a Sheetz there might be convenient for you, but it would be a boneheaded business decision for Sheetz; there's no market.
Curious

Chambersburg, PA

#5 Jun 16, 2009
Another place for someone to rob....

Location hidden

#6 Jun 16, 2009
Curious wrote:
Another place for someone to rob....
...without a weapon.
Curious

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Jun 16, 2009
But she did wear a leather Jacket.......

Location hidden

#8 Jun 16, 2009
Curious wrote:
But she did wear a leather Jacket.......
With a HOOD!
Up-the-Valley boys

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Jun 16, 2009
stbernardmom wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder what the IRS would have to say about it?
JustDoIt

Carlisle, PA

#11 Jun 16, 2009
They may not make much of a profit, but Sheetz will. No market?? Give me a break. There is ALWAYS traffic on Rt 30. I wish Sheetz would come to Mercersburg and then we'd have a REAL store!

Location hidden

#12 Jun 16, 2009
JustDoIt wrote:
They may not make much of a profit, but Sheetz will. No market?? Give me a break. There is ALWAYS traffic on Rt 30. I wish Sheetz would come to Mercersburg and then we'd have a REAL store!
I could see a Sheetz in Mercersburg; not in Fort Loudon. Not enough people, and all the traffic is coming from Chambersburg where there is a Sheetz and several stations along the way. Then there is a Sheetz right on the other side of the mountain.

I thought Sheetz ran into some financial problems recently because of expanding too quickly... if that's the case, opening a store in Fort Loudon wouldn't make a shred of business sense.

Location hidden

#13 Jun 16, 2009
Come to think of it, I don't there there is a single gas station in Mercersburg that is open on Sudnays.
George

Sterling, VA

#14 Jun 16, 2009
Effington wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason Pensinger's is so expensive is because there's no point in competing. They probably barely turn a profit as it is. Building a Sheetz there might be convenient for you, but it would be a boneheaded business decision for Sheetz; there's no market.
I don't know; I'd probably use it if there were a Sheetz there. There's a lot of people who either turn towards Chambersburg or head to Hagerstown from that intersection, and there aren't a lot of gas stations (except in McConnellsburg) on the other side of the big hill.

Right now, I either use the Unimart in St Thomas or EC Barnes (depending on who is cheaper). I try to fill up on Friday evenings on the way home so that I'm full when I leave for work on Monday morning. EC Barnes is very hard to get out of when you're heading towards Ft. Loudon and their machines take so long to process your debit card, so I tend to only use them when the Unimart is more than 3 cents a gallon higher and I'm on 1/4 tank.

Pensinger's doesn't have to compete on their gas because they're the only game in town on Route 75, but they also charge more because the kids will pump it for you (at least they did the last time I stopped there).
POBO

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Jun 16, 2009
A Sheetz in Fort Loudon would get all the Cowans Cap traffic in the summer months. The rest of the year would probably be slow.
George

Sterling, VA

#16 Jun 16, 2009
Effington wrote:
<quoted text>
I could see a Sheetz in Mercersburg; not in Fort Loudon. Not enough people, and all the traffic is coming from Chambersburg where there is a Sheetz and several stations along the way. Then there is a Sheetz right on the other side of the mountain.
I thought Sheetz ran into some financial problems recently because of expanding too quickly... if that's the case, opening a store in Fort Loudon wouldn't make a shred of business sense.
There are some mornings I follow a Feeser's truck that's coming out of Altoona down 75. There's lots of people from Huntingdon County and Mifflin County who come down that road; methinks you've underjudged how much traffic is on that road during the morning and evening drive times.

Location hidden

#17 Jun 16, 2009
OK people: the distance between the Sheetz in Chambersburg and the Sheetz in McConnellsburg is exactly 20 miles; and that span is very sparsely populated. I seriously doubt that a Sheetz in the middle would be profitable when everyone knows they can fill up at either one, depending on which direction they're going.

Location hidden

#18 Jun 16, 2009
Essentially it would just be Sheetz competing against itself; someone said themselves they don't even fill up at Pensingers... they just go to Sheetz when they inevitably have to go into town.
POBO

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Jun 16, 2009
And you can almost bet if Sheetz every did put a store in Fort Loudon, the gas there would be higher than the other stores in the area after they run Pensigner's out of business. They wouldn't have any competition. Just look at the one in Greencastle. Sheetz and AC&T almost always have the same price on gas. They have to to be able to compete with each other. Sheetz would have no competition in Fort Loudon once was Pensinger's was gone, other than the Sheetz across the mountain.
local

Chambersburg, PA

#20 Jun 16, 2009
Effington wrote:
Essentially it would just be Sheetz competing against itself; someone said themselves they don't even fill up at Pensingers... they just go to Sheetz when they inevitably have to go into town.
I travel that road and it is ALWAYS busy. I don't care if it's 2 a.m. there are cars on the road. Pensinger has done really well for years. Don't forget Sheetz has other things besides gas/fuel/propane etc. I love their MTO food and it would be nice to have a store to buy bread, milk, and foodstuffs. I think a Sheetz would be an asset to that part of the county. They did do a travel study on the section of road and the travel count was far more than estimated. I did email the HQ and they are indeed considering the placement of a store.

Location hidden

#21 Jun 16, 2009
Also a good point; people who live Fort Loudon say they don't get gas at Pensingers... if Sheetz came in, forget it. Again, they'd only be competing with themselves. Does make sense to build a new store if the same people will just go to existing stores.

People were upset when Sheetz closed their 2nd St location... they seem to be doing ok though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chambersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
vincent eugene martz (Sep '16) 56 min Michael j martz 6
Vincent e martz Mercersburg pa Thu Sargeant martz 5
Kenzo restaurant Jul 13 SmallTownSmallMind 12
egor Vincent martz (Jan '17) Jul 10 michael martz 6
Southgate Mall Laundromat (Dec '15) Jul 7 Jellybean 7
News Police log (Oct '08) Jul 1 Michael martz 6
News EDITORIAL: C.Q. Smith enriches Chambersburg com... (Feb '10) Jul 1 tazzman65 15

Chambersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chambersburg Mortgages