Students sentenced for dorm prank at ...

Students sentenced for dorm prank at OU | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 12 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Oct 22, 2009, titled Students sentenced for dorm prank at OU | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Three Ohio University students received suspended jail sentences this week after being convicted of trapping a resident assistant in his room twice in a prank gone awry in a campus dormitory.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

HACKER

Loveland, OH

#1 Oct 22, 2009
College is supposed to be a place where you leave all your childish ways back in high school. Your supposed to grow up but the movie industry has corrupted kids into thinking your supposed to party hard, fail out and waste your parents money so you could say you had great memories of your college days. I wish they would've gotten more punishment than what they got and made an example of to all the other students.
Allen 22

Memphis, TN

#2 Oct 22, 2009
A) The movies never caused this. It is just kids, young adults being irresponciable.

B) What they did should have been handled inside of the University. Expulsion is to much, but how about the same punishment they received from the courts. Also, add to that a month or two of house arrest to their dorm rooms. That would give them something to remember.

C) Also, why tie up the courts with petty items. And to give them a criminal record too.
talk radio man

Columbus, OH

#3 Oct 22, 2009
This made it to the courts? A call to the parents should have taken care of this, if not there something wrong with the parents.
mike

Fairborn, OH

#4 Oct 22, 2009
I attended OU in the mid 70's...

All we did was streak naked, have panty raids,rob the pizza man and smoke ganja...

these guys have taken it too far!!!!
OH-IO

Columbus, OH

#5 Oct 22, 2009
Having worked in higher ed for nearly 2 decades, the issue is the apples don't fall far from the trees. There is no contacting parents for assistence (with discipline) in some/most cases with FERPA. There are pranks, then there are crimes that have the potential to harm other or property. Vandalism is not a prank- it is purposeful damage, a crime. Why should the students who also pay good money to attend a good school have to put up with the nightly (these things rarely happen in the light of day) disturbances? If a student does not yet understand right from wrong, violence, vandalism, abuse, lacks respect for others and their property-- then let them live at home with mommie and daddy for the next 4-10 years.
OU Alum

Redwood City, CA

#6 Oct 22, 2009
Really....I still shut the lights off on my co-workers while they are in the bathroom AS A JOKE....quit blaming media and movies for everything. College is your last chance to be free before you start real life and become a whiner and complainer about how you wish you would have done things differently. I am surprised this even made a newspaper!!!
Big Hank

Cleveland, OH

#7 Oct 22, 2009
This is ridiculous - we used to penny people in their room and nobody would have ever considered filing charges. It was especially comical when a floor mate had chosen a questionable "mate for the night" that you just KNEW they would regret in the morning. Wake up, can't get to the bathroom, look at who you had brought home at closing time..... we're talking coyote time! If it was malicious, it should have been handled through the school. This RA may well have earned some mischievous treatment. What a whiner, taking this to court!!
common sense

Reynoldsburg, OH

#8 Oct 22, 2009
I agree with talk radio man. I am a proud parent of a college student and I think alot of parents have dropped the ball when it comes to raising thier children. I cant tell you how many times I have seen for myself or heard stories of parents condoning questionable behavior. There are too many people out there living with a hightened sense of entitlement. We must teach our children the difference between right and wrong. more importantly, there will be consequenses for your actions.
mike

Fairborn, OH

#10 Oct 22, 2009
No, but they did call Rush ..to get some mo' pills...
George W Buschk wrote:
I think it was Bush's fault!
Students should not be allowed to watch FOX News programs. Rush probably gave them the idea. Were any of the students racist?
Did anybody call Jesse Jackson?
If I Only Had a BRAIN

Nashport, OH

#11 Oct 22, 2009
god help us all! Are there going to be ANY "kids" reaching the age of 21 without a criminal record of some sort? This police society is truly out of control!
Wake up

Reynoldsburg, OH

#12 Oct 22, 2009
mike wrote:
I attended OU in the mid 70's...
All we did was streak naked, have panty raids,rob the pizza man and smoke ganja...
these guys have taken it too far!!!!
So Mike your a sex offender? Exposing yourself in public is a sex crime and if you did that today you would have to register and be labeled for the rest of your life. How is that for out of control justice.
mike

Fairborn, OH

#13 Nov 2, 2009
Naw man, no offender here.If that were the case then, the jails would have been full..If you attended college during those times, you would know that "streaking" was an acceptacle practice, cheered by females & males alike...it was simply a tale of the times.
Obviously today, and with your comment, it would be viewed as a crime.And you are right...justice today is out of control!But 12 or so guys running naked across campus for 2 minutes was funny as hell and fun!
Wake up wrote:
<quoted text>
So Mike your a sex offender? Exposing yourself in public is a sex crime and if you did that today you would have to register and be labeled for the rest of your life. How is that for out of control justice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chagrin Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lynzie Johnson Jun 23 harry johnson 5
brad mcclure going to JAIL Jun 23 candy 1
Todd Jun 22 longjohn hardman 9
brad mcclure hiding at gloria williams Jun 22 bender 15
Julia Simpson Jun 21 jamahl 2
eat the meat Jun 21 muhdick 1
McDonalds in Bainbridge (Apr '13) Jun 10 Local engineer 33
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chagrin Falls Mortgages