Steelworkers on strike at Rotek Inc. ...

Steelworkers on strike at Rotek Inc. in Aurora

There are 4998 comments on the Recordpub.com story from Jan 18, 2013, titled Steelworkers on strike at Rotek Inc. in Aurora. In it, Recordpub.com reports that:

About 120 members of United Steelworkers Local 8565 employed at Rotek Inc. went on strike Friday, January 18, according to a company spokesperson.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Recordpub.com.

FLO JOE

Florence, KY

#2034 Apr 2, 2013
Contrary wrote:
Kid,
Why would that be his plan?
A decision like that would be made over his head and if it would be made having a union shop and a non union shop or No union shop's or 2 union shop's wouldn't matter. They would do it no matter what! So your statement is foolish!
Why would Aurora's union tell us what to do? We have to vote on issues like that! We are our own union whom make our own decisions.
Your saying Aurora's non profitable then don't you think the company wouldn't hesitate to shut the doors? They have been looked out for quite sometime now and rotek isn't going anywhere. Wanna know why, Because Aurora can be Very Profitable with the right leadership and managed correctly. That's why they are still there!
They had a bad year, what happens when Florence has a bad year? Are we to expect cuts in pay every time we do? That's unreasonable and that's what Dr. T is doing up in Aurora.

When these cuts make it our way, are your apologies for telling us we don't need a union gonna pay our bills?
NO, They will Not!!!
for the most part they are shutting down aurora and the work is coming to florence. they have been on strike for over 3 months now. does the union have any plans to go back to work or is it the unions goal to shut all of rotek down.
truth

Louisville, KY

#2035 Apr 2, 2013
FLO JOE wrote:
<quoted text>
then why are the people who are collecting cards telling the names of the those who signed in order to convince others to sign.
so and so signed , so you should too.
your full of shit eddie!!
FLO JOE

Florence, KY

#2036 Apr 2, 2013
truth wrote:
this to: "the kid"
Myth: Companies close due to unions.
Fact: Companies close for economic reasons—and the vast majority of companies that close are nonunion. Some companies, however, like to keep this myth alive by illegally threatening workers who attempt to form a union by saying the company will close. Studies have shown that, in fact, unions help decrease employee turnover and can increase efficiency.
one word

Hostess
truth

Louisville, KY

#2037 Apr 2, 2013
FLO JOE wrote:
<quoted text>
the above appiles to workers who do not support a union. you can report, keep notes, name people. you have rights to be protected in the same manner.
Good luck with that. who's going to help you with that The National Labor Relations Act or Rotek?
FLO JOE

Florence, KY

#2038 Apr 2, 2013
truth wrote:
No Union = No Rights
What is the difference between:
... if your workplace is non-union
{1} You are an "employee at will." Your employer can discipline or fire you at any time for any reason; you have no recourse.
{2} "Open door" policy means the employer will listen to you... and then do whatever he or she wants.
{3} Employer determines wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of work. If you're not satisfied, your only option is to get another job.
{4} Wages, benefits and other terms and conditions can be changed by the employer at any time.
{5} Hiring and promotion is up to the discretion of the employer.
... if you join a union and have a contract
{1} Discipline, up to and including discharge, is subject to a grievance procedure and binding arbitration, depending on the terms of your contract.
{2} Contract negotiations require both sides — labor and management — to listen, and reach reasonable compromises acceptable to both sides.
{3} Wages, benefits and working conditions are negotiated. If you are not satisfied, you can work for changes during contract negotiations.
{4} Neither labor nor management can make unilateral changes to a signed contract. If modifications are necessary during the life of a contract, both sides must agree.
{5} Hiring and promotion is covered by contract. Seniority and other factors can be written into the agreement.
Surprised?
Unless workers have a union contract, they are at the mercy of company policies. Most employment handbooks clearly state that policies are "guidelines only and ... not a contract of employment" or that the terms of the handbook are subject to change without notice.
Even under a company's "open-door" policy, there is nothing to really make anyone believe that the policy is meaningful. To the contrary, there is often a powerful conflict of interest in these "open door" policies because workers are complaining about management's decisions to a board or body that has been handpicked by management.
It's not surprising then that workers without a union are often subject to arbitrariness and unfairness on the job.
Workers without a contract are considered "employees at will." That means they can be fired at any time and without reason, the only exceptions are termination for discrimination, whistle-blowing or union organizing.
In fact, when looking at laws affecting workers, it's good to think of this: laws like the minimum wage, worker's comp, overtime, OSHA and ERISA (governing pensions and profit sharing) provide the bare minimum that applies to everyone. For non-union workers, however, the bare minimum becomes a ceiling - no one promises rights any higher. For union workers, on the other hand, the bare minimum is just the floor - they always bargain for rights and benefits above the bare minimum set by the law.
No surprise then that union wages are better, union shops are safer and union jobs are more secure!....
you are not an employee at will , if your hand book states binding
between employee and company . if your company has issue resolution/ arbitration. its in our handbook
FLO JOE

Florence, KY

#2039 Apr 2, 2013
truth wrote:
this to: "the kid"
Myth: Unions force workers out on strike often.
Fact: Workers in USW and most other unions vote whether or not to strike. Ninety-nine percent of USW contract negotiations are settled without a strike. No one ever wants a strike.
tell it to the guy standing on the line. if your the 1% does make much difference does it. no pay check, no insurance
truth

Louisville, KY

#2040 Apr 2, 2013
FLO JOE wrote:
<quoted text>
the union does not tell the co. how to run the business, it bargains, or it strikes.
What Unions Do

Unions are about a simple proposition: By joining together, working women and men gain strength in numbers so they can have a voice at work about what they care about. They negotiate a contract with their employer for things like a fair and safe workplace, better wages, a secure retirement and family-friendly policies such as paid sick leave and scheduling hours. They have a voice in how their jobs get done, creating a more stable, productive workforce that provides better services and products. Always adapting to the challenges of our nation’s evolving workforce, unions are meeting the needs of workers in today’s flexible and nontraditional work environments. Because no matter what type of job workers are in, by building power in unions, they can speak out for fairness for all working people in their communities and create better standards and a strong middle class across the country.
truth

Louisville, KY

#2041 Apr 2, 2013
FLO JOE wrote:
<quoted text>
you are not an employee at will , if your hand book states binding
between employee and company . if your company has issue resolution/ arbitration. its in our handbook
Unless workers have a union contract, they are at the mercy of company policies. Most employment handbooks clearly state that policies are "guidelines only and ... not a contract of employment" or that the terms of the handbook are subject to change without notice.

go back to work eddie!
FLO JOE

Florence, KY

#2042 Apr 2, 2013
truth wrote:
Union Workers Are More Productive
Recent studies show that a unionized work force is well equipped for the job because of better training, the latest equipment and a better support system. On average, union workers also receive better pay – regardless of sex, race, occupation, age or location.
Here are the results of several recent studies:
Study Says Union Workers 27 Percent More Productive
Companies who use unionized workers are 27 percent more productive, according to a recent report published in Scientific American.
The report revealed unionized workers have a strong system in place to negotiate for the rights and conditions that lead to improved productivity. Union workers also are more comfortable in bringing job specific changes to management because of job security.
The New York Federal Reserve Bank and Tufts University commissioned the report. It included more than 1,500 companies throughout the United States.
Average Construction Job Finishes 17 Percent Faster
A three-year study incorporating about 1,200 construction projects in the United States and France show that unionized workers, on average, finish projects 17 percent faster than their non-union counterparts.
These results are based on findings from Independent Project Analysis (IPA), which has been conducting North American studies since 1992.
Findings Have Always Supported Union Productivity
Studies from the 1970s and 1980s in the manufacturing, construction, cement, hospital and furniture industries also support the claim that Union workers are more productive. Results of those studies put the improved rate of productivity anywhere from six to 38 percent.
If you need a job done right and done quickly, a UNION work force is the best work force.
Toyota(non union wotkers) takes over AS THE # 1 car company in the U.S.
truth

Louisville, KY

#2043 Apr 2, 2013
FLO JOE wrote:
<quoted text>
tell it to the guy standing on the line. if your the 1% does make much difference does it. no pay check, no insurance
The time has come to arm ourselves against the greedy Dr T and organize.
truth

Louisville, KY

#2044 Apr 2, 2013
FLO JOE wrote:
<quoted text>
one word
Hostess
No Union = No Rights

What is the difference between:

... if your workplace is non-union

{1} You are an "employee at will." Your employer can discipline or fire you at any time for any reason; you have no recourse.

{2} "Open door" policy means the employer will listen to you... and then do whatever he or she wants.

{3} Employer determines wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of work. If you're not satisfied, your only option is to get another job.

{4} Wages, benefits and other terms and conditions can be changed by the employer at any time.

{5} Hiring and promotion is up to the discretion of the employer.

... if you join a union and have a contract

{1} Discipline, up to and including discharge, is subject to a grievance procedure and binding arbitration, depending on the terms of your contract.

{2} Contract negotiations require both sides — labor and management — to listen, and reach reasonable compromises acceptable to both sides.

{3} Wages, benefits and working conditions are negotiated. If you are not satisfied, you can work for changes during contract negotiations.

{4} Neither labor nor management can make unilateral changes to a signed contract. If modifications are necessary during the life of a contract, both sides must agree.

{5} Hiring and promotion is covered by contract. Seniority and other factors can be written into the agreement.

Surprised?

Even under a company's "open-door" policy, there is nothing to really make anyone believe that the policy is meaningful. To the contrary, there is often a powerful conflict of interest in these "open door" policies because workers are complaining about management's decisions to a board or body that has been handpicked by management.

It's not surprising then that workers without a union are often subject to arbitrariness and unfairness on the job.

Workers without a contract are considered "employees at will." That means they can be fired at any time and without reason, the only exceptions are termination for discrimination, whistle-blowing or union organizing.

In fact, when looking at laws affecting workers, it's good to think of this: laws like the minimum wage, worker's comp, overtime, OSHA and ERISA (governing pensions and profit sharing) provide the bare minimum that applies to everyone. For non-union workers, however, the bare minimum becomes a ceiling - no one promises rights any higher. For union workers, on the other hand, the bare minimum is just the floor - they always bargain for rights and benefits above the bare minimum set by the law.

No surprise then that union wages are better, union shops are safer and union jobs are more secure!....
truth

Louisville, KY

#2045 Apr 2, 2013
FLO JOE wrote:
<quoted text>
Toyota(non union wotkers) takes over AS THE # 1 car company in the U.S.
Your Rights
At-Will Employment

This page provides answers to the following questions:

1. Can my employer terminate me without a good reason?

Yes. In fact, most employees in the United States are at-will employees, even though most employees are unaware of this situation. In most states, the law presumes that private sector employees are employed "at-will." The employment-at-will doctrine provides that both the employer and the employee can end the employment relationship at any time without notice or reason. This means the employer has the right to terminate your employment at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all or for a bad reason, so long as the reason is not illegal - even if you performance has been outstanding. The other side of the "at-will" coin is that you, as an employee, can quit your job for any reason at any time. You cannot be forced to work for an employer. You don't have to give your employer a reason for quitting.

2. Are there any exceptions to the employment-at-will doctrine?

Yes, there are several exceptions. You are not an at-will employee if you have a contract, such as a union contract. When an employee is covered under an employment contract, you can only be terminated as the contract permits. If the employer does not follow the contract in terminating or disciplining you, you may have a breach of contract claim.

A handbook or personnel code may also be a contract. However, if there is a disclaimer in your handbook, it may not be a contract. State laws vary in evaluating whether a handbook is a contract. You should consult your own state's law to determine if your state considers handbooks to be contracts between employers and employees.

All federal employees are protected from any termination that violates the United States Constitution or the constitution of the state in which they work. For example, an employee's rights to freedom of speech, association, religion, or freedom from unlawful search and seizure may be at issue when an employee is terminated. For more information about Federal Employees rights, check out Federal Employees Legal Survival Guide under the publications link on this page.

An employee may not be terminated for an illegal reason such as their race, sex, age, religion, nationality, or disability. If you believe you were terminated because of such a reason, please see our section on discrimination for additional information on the different types of illegal discrimination and on filing a discrimination claim.

This page was updated on March 7, 2006
truth

Louisville, KY

#2046 Apr 2, 2013
FLO JOE wrote:
<quoted text>
for the most part they are shutting down aurora and the work is coming to florence. they have been on strike for over 3 months now. does the union have any plans to go back to work or is it the unions goal to shut all of rotek down.
I just what to say a SPECIAL THANKS to Jason Belew, Mike Belew, Eddie Smith. With out you guys this would not be possible.

Please fill out the white card, and don't forget to X the box at the bottom of the card.

thanks again
Say what

Uniontown, OH

#2047 Apr 2, 2013
FLO JOE wrote:
<quoted text>
They are not shutting Aurora down. I know some of you hope that in Florence but that is not the case. The work load right now is small. Business will soon be picking up and wind energy will be back in the 3rd quarter of this year. The union would like nothing more than to go back to work but the greedy president is preventing that. Give us a fair contract and we will be back to work tomorrow.
Cal Naughton Jr

Florence, KY

#2048 Apr 2, 2013
There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.
truth

Louisville, KY

#2049 Apr 2, 2013
Cal Naughton Jr wrote:
There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.
In your dreams eddie smith your a nutcase!
truth

Louisville, KY

#2050 Apr 2, 2013
Cal Naughton Jr wrote:

There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when I went away to Danny G. place. I got an offer from Rotek, and I did it. I did a full spread for all a management. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude, for Kevin B. and all of management it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike To-small . But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got some head somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike To-small.
cameras please

Bowling Green, KY

#2051 Apr 2, 2013
truth wrote:
•Keeping written notes of any incidents in which company officials or supervisors threaten, harass, or punish workers because of union activity
•Immediately reporting any such incidents to your organizing committee and the union staff.
•Your notes don’t have to be worded a certain way, but you should include what was said or done, who was involved, where and when it happened, and the names of any witnesses.
*If you have witnesses great, But you don't need a witness
*With enough violations, there will be no need to vote the union in or out. We will only need to vote on a contract.
Forget the he said she said BS. Rotek please place cameras, so there is no need for witness when they are trashing cars for there Union Cause.
truth

Louisville, KY

#2052 Apr 2, 2013
cameras please wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget the he said she said BS. Rotek please place cameras, so there is no need for witness when they are trashing cars for there Union Cause.
What ever you anti-union guy's are involved in. We don't wont any part of it!!!
truth

Louisville, KY

#2053 Apr 2, 2013
truth wrote:

•Keeping written notes of any incidents in which company officials or supervisors threaten, harass, or punish workers because of union activity

•Immediately reporting any such incidents to your organizing committee and the union staff.

•Your notes don’t have to be worded a certain way, but you should include what was said or done, who was involved, where and when it happened, and the names of any witnesses.

*If you have witnesses great, But you don't need a witness.

*With enough violations, there will be no need to vote the union in or out. We will only need to vote on a contract.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chagrin Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jenn on topix?? Sun Wondering 1
Bainbridge hotties Sun Bainbridgeboy 1
FACE MeTTLER Apr 19 1993pvman 1
Don't know nothing Apr 18 skull 36
McDonalds in Bainbridge (Apr '13) Apr 17 George Thompson 37
Charles 'Bubby' Tyler Neal Apr 12 RIP 2
bbw Apr 6 Pussman 1

Chagrin Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance