Whittier police to begin patrols of G...

Whittier police to begin patrols of Greenway Trail on dirt bikes

There are 14 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from May 29, 2008, titled Whittier police to begin patrols of Greenway Trail on dirt bikes. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Come Monday, the Whittier Police Department will be ready to combat vandalism along the 6-mile Greenway Trail with two new dirt bikes valued at $19,973. "It's pretty neat," said Officer Hugo Figueroa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

Sal

Minneapolis, MN

#1 May 30, 2008
This is great...really it is. but, "dirt bikes "valued at $19,973?" Do they need dirt bikes? Mountain Bikes could do the job at...oh ultra high end MTB's run at 1200 bucks. Im just saying
bjq

Hacienda Heights, CA

#2 May 30, 2008
Good work Whittier, it's about time, now maybe these little criminals will not trash the greentrail with their graffiti and breaking the lights that are there for our safety. We are getting ready to put up a fence and are hoping it does not get graffiti written all over.
Michael

Buena Park, CA

#3 May 30, 2008
I think it's a good idea, greater idea would've been the electric mountain bikes. I agree the cost effective electric bikes, the "green factor" for those environmentalists and stealth factor to catch the criminals make it a great idea. I think with the PD's response time, not too many criminals would get away if bike officers needed back up to pursue or effrct arrests. Being a La Mirada resident and someone who usually uses the Coyote Creek bike path, I'm looking forward to trying out the path soon and I'll feel better about this. Heck, I'm willing to pay a usage permit fee. Good call City of Whittier and Whitter PD.
no need to know

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#4 May 30, 2008
i agree dirt bikes? are they going to be fighting in the morning who is going to ride them lol

why do they need so fast of transportation? its not like there going to be chasing anyone who can outrun a mountain bike...

glad though that they are doing something to make people feel a little bit safer, all those losers writing and damaging the things on the trail... go get a life!!!!!!!!!!
Amber

Norco, CA

#5 May 30, 2008
This is the most confusing article ever! What motorcycles? I thought you said they bought two all terrain dirt bikes? But then you say they never ridden motorcycles before. What does that have to do with anything? And at the end of the story it says in addition to the motorcycles, there will be police bicyclists? It makes no sense. Is this article about two new mototrcycles or two new dirt bikes?
John

Fullerton, CA

#6 May 30, 2008
I support our cops and think they do a pretty good job. I'm esp. glad to hear that they're going to be patrolling the trail.

I think the choice of dirt bikes was a good idea; it gives the cops the ability to go from street to trail (and vice-versa) quite easily. I'd rather have them on dirt bikes than on Segways or mountain bikes. The dirt bike is a good compromise between a police car and a bicycle. I just hope they're not loud.
JCB737

Duarte, CA

#7 May 30, 2008
$40,000 in damages because the losers broke out the lights and tagged the poles. Wow, so much respect! All taggers and wanna be gang losers should be shot on the spot and they're parents fined. This is what happens when cities import losers from the inner cities like East L.A. or S. L.A. Whittier was such a nice place at one time and it still may be once the police contain the human trash that roam the streets.
Signed,
Left Whittier.
Michael

United States

#8 May 31, 2008
JCB737 wrote:
$40,000 in damages because the losers broke out the lights and tagged the poles. Wow, so much respect! All taggers and wanna be gang losers should be shot on the spot and they're parents fined. This is what happens when cities import losers from the inner cities like East L.A. or S. L.A. Whittier was such a nice place at one time and it still may be once the police contain the human trash that roam the streets.
Signed,
Left Whittier.
Hey "Left Whittier", I've got sad news for you...I work for the sheriff's department and I'd rather live in Whittier than Duarte...
Low Profile

Pasadena, CA

#9 Aug 16, 2008
This guy is an Idiot, I am from East Los Angeles and I am a Los Angeles county sheriff Deputy as well. I agree with the last post. Duarte is a much more crime infested community. That was a poor choice by leaving whittier for Duarte. there are always going to be Gang Bangers and taggers, thats life. But then that is why we are employed and im glad there are dept. like whittier who will take the extra steps in finding a resolution.
JCB737 wrote:
Signed,
Left Whittier.
Low Profile

Pasadena, CA

#10 Aug 16, 2008
Oh and its "Low Profile Fort Apache"
in case anyone is wondering my station or assignment.

(inside thing)
Ride the trail

Valyermo, CA

#11 Sep 27, 2008
Much ado about nothing. I hike in the Angeles forest and the Whittier hills and I very rarely see rangers around. There is a minimal risk that trail riders and walkers have to accept. Police can't protect people all the time on trails, streets, or in their homes. People have to take some basic precautions. Besides Whittier is hardly that dangerous! Don't give in to irrational fear.
DESERT RAT

Scottsdale, AZ

#12 Sep 27, 2008
After they add all the equipment it brings the price up. Lights, sirens, radios, a little wagon they tow behind to bring bad guys back to the station.
Sal wrote:
This is great...really it is. but, "dirt bikes "valued at $19,973?" Do they need dirt bikes? Mountain Bikes could do the job at...oh ultra high end MTB's run at 1200 bucks. Im just saying
Maria

Pacoima, CA

#13 Jan 15, 2010
Please Please , lets keep the trail clean and a respected area. If not the trail will be lost to thugs and not to the great families that have been coming out.
P.S. the crossroad near mills and gunn still needs to be cleaned up!!
JUSTICE FOR ALL

Mountain View, CA

#14 Mar 28, 2014
Low Profile wrote:
Oh and its "Low Profile Fort Apache"
in case anyone is wondering my station or assignment.
(inside thing)
"LOW PROFILE FORT APACHE AN
INSIDE THING?" AS IN? AN INSIDE THUG COP GANG SECRET SOCIETY OF 80 ESTABLISHED IN 1924? "EAST LOS ANGELES SIEMPRE UNA PATADA IN LOS PANTALONES?"
FORT APACHE LOW PROFILE AS REPORTED BY CBS CHANNEL 7 NEWS TODAY 03/28/14 AT 5:05PM TO HAVE SEX/RAPE INITIATIONS OF IT'S FEMALE OFFICER TRAINEES? PROBABLY ALSO INVOLVED IN THE RAPE CASE IN WHICH FEMALE DETAINEES IN CUSTODY WERE ALSO RAPED?(ALSO REPORTED ON THE NEWS IN THE NOT SO DISTANT PAST). YES THERE WILL ALWAYS BE GANGS MR LOW PROFILE BUT THEY DO NOT BELONG IN OUR POLICE FORCE! IF WE CAN'T TRUST THE POLICE WHO CAN WE TRUST? I AM GLAD YOU'RE BEING EXPOSED THAT FEMALE OFFICERS WERE BRAVE ENOUGH TO COME FORWARD. "HE THAT RULETH OVER MEN MUST BE JUST RULING IN THE FEAR OF GOD." THE BIBLE SAYS. "YOUR KINGDOM HAS BEEN WEIGHED IN THE BALANCE AND FOUND WANTING..."AND THE SECRET WALLS (YOU HIDE BEHIND TO COMMIT SUCH INCOMPREHENSIBLE ACTS OF CRIME) LIKE JERICHO WILL FALL ON YOU ONE DAY BECAUSE GOD SEE THE HIDDEN SECRET SINS AND YOU WILL STAND AS NAKED BEFORE HIM AS YOUR INNOCENT VICTIMS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cerritos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 53 min LMSA2 8,842
News Heroin Highway - Map of heroin traffic in Santa... (May '10) 3 hr Buzz 61
News Driver in Uptown Whittier ploughs into three pa... 8 hr Trish Delish 1
News CA: 24 Members of Florencia 13 Gang Named in Ri... (Oct '07) 10 hr You dumb 483
Maecello Did It While MS Watched 14 hr Paul O 5
News An Azusa neighborhood has become a common groun... (Aug '09) 14 hr Niggler 207
Uptown Whittier Carshow 2017~Pinup Contest 14 hr Freddy Alue 2

Cerritos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cerritos Mortgages