Pony vs Little League
LMBA Parent

Whittier, CA

#83 May 22, 2014
So many people are on here quick to judge, but I bet not one of you have volunteered to try and better LMBA or LMLittle league FOR THE PLAYERS!!! I agree that these two leagues have had their issues this year and LMBA stands out more due to it being unusual for big issues to arise in LMBA compared to the ugliness that has happened at LMLL in the past. No league will ever be perfect, but instead, parents enjoy finding all the faults of these two leagues and usually have no clue what it takes to run one. People need to help one another. What kind of models are we showing our kids with all of this non sense bickering instead of really just PLAYING BALL!!!
truth

Buena Park, CA

#84 May 22, 2014
LMBA Parent wrote:
So many people are on here quick to judge, but I bet not one of you have volunteered to try and better LMBA or LMLittle league FOR THE PLAYERS!!! I agree that these two leagues have had their issues this year and LMBA stands out more due to it being unusual for big issues to arise in LMBA compared to the ugliness that has happened at LMLL in the past. No league will ever be perfect, but instead, parents enjoy finding all the faults of these two leagues and usually have no clue what it takes to run one. People need to help one another. What kind of models are we showing our kids with all of this non sense bickering instead of really just PLAYING BALL!!!
couldnt say it any better...
LMDAD

Long Beach, CA

#85 May 22, 2014
LMBA Parent wrote:
So many people are on here quick to judge, but I bet not one of you have volunteered to try and better LMBA or LMLittle league FOR THE PLAYERS!!! I agree that these two leagues have had their issues this year and LMBA stands out more due to it being unusual for big issues to arise in LMBA compared to the ugliness that has happened at LMLL in the past. No league will ever be perfect, but instead, parents enjoy finding all the faults of these two leagues and usually have no clue what it takes to run one. People need to help one another. What kind of models are we showing our kids with all of this non sense bickering instead of really just PLAYING BALL!!!
I do agree with you. But the new board at LMLL does not want help. There are a select few that run the league and they do not welcome different opinions. They have arranged it to hardly anyone can even vote for new board members.
LMMOM

Whittier, CA

#86 May 23, 2014
LMDAD wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree with you. But the new board at LMLL does not want help. There are a select few that run the league and they do not welcome different opinions. They have arranged it to hardly anyone can even vote for new board members.
LMBA isn't much better though. Their board members are there to protect themselves and their friends. It's the same in both leagues.
nice try

Los Angeles, CA

#87 May 23, 2014
LL corruption has been cleaned out. Snack bar is making money. Players get 22+ games. Teams are drafted. The league doesn't allow teams to lock player's.
ex-LMBA BOD

Rosemead, CA

#88 May 27, 2014
LMMOM wrote:
<quoted text>
LMBA isn't much better though. Their board members are there to protect themselves and their friends. It's the same in both leagues.
i totally disagree. LMBA's problems lie with apathy among its consituency. you can't make everyone happy, but when people within/without the league bring up complaints, very often there are few if any willing to place their names on the ballot for election. they'd much rather talk chit at the back of the room.

the most-recent and current BOD have done much to curtail the shenanigans that plagued the league Board prior to these taking office. bills are paid, league rules have been amended to stave off the presence of stacked teams, etc. Sure, most of the board members get along, but there are no more instances of cronyism or rule-bending.

take a look at the Board page on their website. Once you get past the executive board, you will find either the same person filling different areas of responsibility, or blanks for other board seats.
people who fill this chat with negativity should place their names on a ballot if they want to wrong a perceived wrong - in either league.

“Your bear to cross”

Since: Aug 09

Whittier, California

#89 May 28, 2014
There isn't a single kid-sport organization in America that is totally free of shenanigans and mis-deeds by the “adults” who run the show. At the best, these groups are run with an old boy's club mentality that winks at insiders playing fast and loose with league and charter rules to best serve their own purposes. At worst, you have everything from outright theft and embezzlement to downright scary adults around the kids.

Like most things, you get out of it what you put into it. Don't just drop your kid and take off. Get involved, be a part of the day to day life of the team, and enjoy your kid. If you have some fundamental skills, offer to help teach them. If you don't think you are up to being a coach, help in the snack bar, learn to maintain the fields or equipment. The leagues that are taken over by bozo's are taken over because too many parents just let them take over.

“Your bear to cross”

Since: Aug 09

Whittier, California

#90 May 28, 2014
resident wrote:
People are ghetto not pony or L.L. What is funny to me is that now a day anyone can just pop up and create a travel ball team... Most of those teams go and play pony because they are permitted to take their entire team.... I know that these travel ball/pony boys are having there best days now, i mean most will be burned out by high school... To all u ghetto families baseball is a gentlemens game a classy one at that so leave ur hood ties at your door unless of course u like embarassing your child by your appearance...lol...CLASS
Looks like now, almost anyone can find a dozen or so families willing (or misguided) enough to let their little superstars hang together as a “Travel Team”. Remember, it's never too soon to begin this, plenty of T-Ball World Series out there to choose from. The process apparently entails the raising of enough cash to order some awesome new uniforms from a friend of the coach.(Hopefully the new uni's will have some striking combination of Black and Vegas Gold or at the least, Raider's colors.)

Also important is a name. Got to be manly, too. Something vigorous and if possible, vaguely sexual or related to a jiu jitsu move, a poisonous animal, terrorism, or some kind of choke hold. Shooters, Strikers, Strokers, Hitters, Thrashers, Bombers, and Throbbers are all good. Extra points if you can easily translate the name into Spanish.

OK, now that the important work is done, the team needs an Ace ... a ++ pitcher. You find these guys by sneaking around and ingratiating yourself with the little stud's mommy and daddy at kiddie ball tournaments. Promise them free play, 1/2 price uni's, and that their kid will be the star. Margarita and Bud Lites also work well. The second best pitcher will already be the son of one of the coaches as will be the SS and the F4 but it never hurts to track down a decent catcher or two if you can find one.

There you go, a Travel Team. Start out playing in the lowest division in the least competitive tourneys you can find because if you win more than a game a week it'll be cause for a pizza party. Travel teams are also easier to plan for since you probably won't be able to find a field to practice on, all of your action will be on the weekend. Be aware though, that those associated with some of the elite teams of your age group will smirk and denigrate your crew. No worries though, you ARE a travel team. Just check your ARCO receipts.
living in reality

Long Beach, CA

#91 May 30, 2014
nice try wrote:
LL corruption has been cleaned out. Snack bar is making money. Players get 22+ games. Teams are drafted. The league doesn't allow teams to lock player's.
Hahaha. Ummm....hahahahaha.
Ok. Snack bar has always made money. That's what runs the league. Always have been over 20 games a season. Teams have always been drafted.
Curious

Los Angeles, CA

#92 Jun 2, 2014
Why don't you ask Scott about the Pony Division All Stars. Oh yeah that's right they don't have an all star team this year. Why you ask because there was no board member present and the 2 coaches picked all out of city residents to represent the City of La Mirada.
Curious II

La Mirada, CA

#93 Jun 2, 2014
Curious wrote:
Why don't you ask Scott about the Pony Division All Stars. Oh yeah that's right they don't have an all star team this year. Why you ask because there was no board member present and the 2 coaches picked all out of city residents to represent the City of La Mirada.
Is there a point? Just because you can name 12 kids does not mean they are all stars.
But both leagues do it every year, lol
Coherent 1

La Mirada, CA

#94 Jun 2, 2014
Oso viejo wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like now, almost anyone can find a dozen or so families willing (or misguided) enough to let their little superstars hang together as a “Travel Team”. Remember, it's never too soon to begin this, plenty of T-Ball World Series out there to choose from. The process apparently entails the raising of enough cash to order some awesome new uniforms from a friend of the coach.(Hopefully the new uni's will have some striking combination of Black and Vegas Gold or at the least, Raider's colors.)
Also important is a name. Got to be manly, too. Something vigorous and if possible, vaguely sexual or related to a jiu jitsu move, a poisonous animal, terrorism, or some kind of choke hold. Shooters, Strikers, Strokers, Hitters, Thrashers, Bombers, and Throbbers are all good. Extra points if you can easily translate the name into Spanish.
OK, now that the important work is done, the team needs an Ace ... a ++ pitcher. You find these guys by sneaking around and ingratiating yourself with the little stud's mommy and daddy at kiddie ball tournaments. Promise them free play, 1/2 price uni's, and that their kid will be the star. Margarita and Bud Lites also work well. The second best pitcher will already be the son of one of the coaches as will be the SS and the F4 but it never hurts to track down a decent catcher or two if you can find one.
There you go, a Travel Team. Start out playing in the lowest division in the least competitive tourneys you can find because if you win more than a game a week it'll be cause for a pizza party. Travel teams are also easier to plan for since you probably won't be able to find a field to practice on, all of your action will be on the weekend. Be aware though, that those associated with some of the elite teams of your age group will smirk and denigrate your crew. No worries though, you ARE a travel team. Just check your ARCO receipts.
Talk about incoherent rambling. What the heck are you talking about. You sound like a disgruntled everything. Did you spill your latte and have a bad day?
Tyub

La Mirada, CA

#95 Jun 4, 2014
It's not unusual for Kermit to have an unusual relationship with Rickie, usually.

“Your bear to cross”

Since: Aug 09

Whittier, California

#96 Jun 4, 2014
Coherent 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk about incoherent rambling. What the heck are you talking about. You sound like a disgruntled everything. Did you spill your latte and have a bad day?
Lemme guess: you are a new travel ball parent with silver and black uniforms. Right?
truth

Buena Park, CA

#97 Jun 4, 2014
Both leagues are being ruined by the boards..... La mirada little league s heavily infkuenced by friends and seem to rush kids thru fividiond like bringin kids up in dividions they are not able to be competitive in
LMBA PARENT

Whittier, CA

#99 Jul 7, 2014
LMDAD wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree with you. But the new board at LMLL does not want help. There are a select few that run the league and they do not welcome different opinions. They have arranged it to hardly anyone can even vote for new board members.
That is really sad. I feel that LMBA does a pretty good job of listening to us parents and our opinions and are always looking for new board members to come in and help.
LMBA PARENT

Whittier, CA

#100 Jul 7, 2014
Curious wrote:
Why don't you ask Scott about the Pony Division All Stars. Oh yeah that's right they don't have an all star team this year. Why you ask because there was no board member present and the 2 coaches picked all out of city residents to represent the City of La Mirada.
Actually Curious... you stated a good point for yourself here. YOU should ask Scott what happened with the LM All Stars Pony team cause you are stating incorrect information..Amazes me how information from one person to another and another gets miscommunicated. I just want to make sure you are getting the correct info before commenting on something that is not true.
all leagues

Whittier, CA

#101 Jul 12, 2014
Its good see see LMLL and LMBA have the same idiot parents starting crap as the other leagues. New board members are always welcome but it is easier to talk with ignorance than to try to understand.

Help instead of criticizing. And no getting your way doesn't mean it is wrong, bias or unfair. It probably means that it is fair and correct if you aren't happy.
Curious

Los Angeles, CA

#102 Jul 14, 2014
LMBA PARENT wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Curious... you stated a good point for yourself here. YOU should ask Scott what happened with the LM All Stars Pony team cause you are stating incorrect information..Amazes me how information from one person to another and another gets miscommunicated. I just want to make sure you are getting the correct info before commenting on something that is not true.
No I think I have correct information. Why were the pony division boys wearing La Mirada colors but their uniforms said "FULLERTON" All Stars???? Don't tell me I have incorrect information. And I would love to talk to Scott if he would return my phone calls. I do understand that La Mirada paid for the tournament fees but would not allow them to play for La Mirada.

Please explain to me what part of what I stated is not true???
Scott

La Mirada, CA

#103 Jul 14, 2014
That is correct. I personally would not approve a La Mirada team that had only 1 La Mirada Resident on it. Our all-star teams represent LMBA, but also the city of LM. I could not sign-off on a team and I personally did not sign any paperwork or, pay any PONY team fees for this Pony team. This team issue was also given to the Athletic Council of the City of LM for review and they declined any exception to their policy of residency for our teams.

If someone is trying to reach me.... I don't know who you are or, what # you're calling.

The best person to talk to about this though is Luis Cruz. He worked with PONY and Fullerton Pony to put this team together. He can answer any questions you have about whether this team was LM or, Fullerton. His phone # is available on the www.lmba.org website under the Board tab.

Scott Anderson
Former President of LMBA 2009 - 2014

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cerritos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 3 hr El Manda Mas 2,937
In the Old World, People... 4 hr Quebien 9
News Nearly 1,000 in L.A. join nationwide protests f... (Apr '15) 4 hr Ed Edn Eddy 2
Witnesses Claim 747 Turns Into Brownie (May '15) 5 hr Bobby Schutz 4
Golden Lantern Cafeteria - memory lane (Apr '08) 5 hr mindy 8
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Papi Chulo 32,247
How come Hispanics get all the ILWU jobs? (Jul '12) 10 hr JustStop 92
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cerritos Mortgages