Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,038

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#179561 Feb 14, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
It's voluntary, and women have already been in combat - in harm's way - without the ability to have the same titles or ability for advancement as the men.
Does this mean women will be required to register for selective service?
Now, if they can make the grade - THEY can choose.
It's THEIR choice - not yours.
I wonder how we as a nation would respond to a conflict with mass female service personel casualties, or large numbers of captured American female G.I.s parade on camera by an enemy.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#179562 Feb 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Does this mean women will be required to register for selective service?
<quoted text>
I wonder how we as a nation would respond to a conflict with mass female service personel casualties, or large numbers of captured American female G.I.s parade on camera by an enemy.
Should all women be required to register for selective service? Haven't a clue. Perhaps as long as BOTH parents of a child could not be called up to serve in combat at the same time, and as long as fitness standards remain constant.

Haven't studied it.

Many women DO choose to serve, though, and they do so bravely and with honor. They fight, and they even die for our country.

No one will argue that many women are less strong than most men, but, as long as the fitness standards are NOT watered down for women, they should have the same ability to choose combat positions as the men do, if they can physically do so.

Why they would choose that is beyond me, but it's THEIR choice, not yours or mine.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#179563 Feb 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder how we as a nation would respond to a conflict with mass female service personnel casualties, or large numbers of captured American female G.I.s parade on camera by an enemy.
We've already seen captured and dead women in combat, haven't we?

Gender doesn't make it any more or any less terrible.

The only difference is the title they held, not the danger they were in.

And again, many women would not qualify under today's standards, and most folks DON'T want them lowered. I doubt there will be many female Navy Seals, for instance. But, for those women out there with the physical mental and emotional to that job - or ANY job - should have the same chance as the men, should they wish to apply.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#179565 Feb 14, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The left would treat women differently from right and proper:
"We will draw upon the courage and skills of our sisters and daughters and moms, because women have proven under fire that they are ready for combat."
B. Obama
State of the Union
Quite a few women took up arms in our revolution and our civil war. They fought brilliantly. Let us not forget Joan of Arc either.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#179566 Feb 14, 2013
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite a few women took up arms in our revolution and our civil war. They fought brilliantly. Let us not forget Joan of Arc either.
Oh yes, even recently

In the old days there were battle lines, that line is a lot more fuzzy now, we have already had women fighting alongside men on an infantry battlefield in Afghanistan, fought and died bravely.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#179567 Feb 14, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
We've already seen captured and dead women in combat, haven't we?
Gender doesn't make it any more or any less terrible.
The only difference is the title they held, not the danger they were in.
And again, many women would not qualify under today's standards, and most folks DON'T want them lowered. I doubt there will be many female Navy Seals, for instance. But, for those women out there with the physical mental and emotional to that job - or ANY job - should have the same chance as the men, should they wish to apply.
Part of the reason this is opening up is the requirements are changing now, reguardless of women.

equipment is becomming more technological, lighter, and more complex. Drones are replacing jobs only pilots could do in the past, they are close to self driving viecheles and that will quickly relate to tanks, soon there will be no tank crews on the battlefield.

War is changing fast.

I agree that a seal team for example should have the same standard reguardless of sex. And trust me there are women that can and will handle that.

However the standards for much of the military is changing fast, and it isnt because of women, but because of technology
Fred the Outdoorsman

Sonoma, CA

#179568 Feb 14, 2013
m3437KK wrote:
Well, the deal of forcing the popes to resign over them dirty pix where he is doing stuff is just plain wrong. The koreans was so upset they let that nuclear go. Who knows what the koranians will say. This is nasty bad business and makes you sick. And tired.
Are those pictures on the "other" vatican site? How do you get there? No thread.
Inspector

Monrovia, CA

#179569 Feb 14, 2013
Look another Republican gets away with MURDER.

A crane inspector will not be going to prison for fabricating inspections of New York City cranes including one that collapsed and killed seven people.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#179570 Feb 14, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You trolls flood the forum with posts about polygamy because you don't have an argument against gay marriage. Why not start a forum about polygamy? Oh, yeah, you don't give a damn about polygamy, that's why.
He has moved onto Iincest now, it will be goats later.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#179571 Feb 14, 2013
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
True. The French resistance during WWII had female members, Russians employed female fighter pilots, Russian female partisans, etc.
Cash O La

Monrovia, CA

#179572 Feb 14, 2013
Buyers paid all cash for 34.9 percent of the Southern California homes sold January 2013.

Industry observers noted also that the current hot market could cool if the number of homes for sale rises.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#179573 Feb 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
True. The French resistance during WWII had female members, Russians employed female fighter pilots, Russian female partisans, etc.
I think it is long past time we break down that barrier

We have women on ships now, on subs, we have women pilots, we have had women on assignments on the front lines, some 139 have died in Iraq and Afghanistan, many with weapons in their hands manning posts. They have been on teams doing door to door searches manning towers with rifles etc etc etc

We are already doing it, it is just that a lot of people donít recognize it yet.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#179574 Feb 14, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is long past time we break down that barrier
We have women on ships now, on subs, we have women pilots, we have had women on assignments on the front lines, some 139 have died in Iraq and Afghanistan, many with weapons in their hands manning posts. They have been on teams doing door to door searches manning towers with rifles etc etc etc
We are already doing it, it is just that a lot of people donít recognize it yet.
Is that a good thing old man? You want women in the front lines fighting islamics? U czy!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#179575 Feb 14, 2013
Frankie RIzzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Because this is a perfectly good marriage equality thread, thank you.
Why don't you start a thread on red herrings? Over in the fish threads. Or maybe a straw man thread.
Rosie forgets the key word here is "MARRIAGE", as in same sex marriage, conjugal marriage, and yes the one she loves to deny, plural marriage. In her "marriage equality" world, Kody and his ladies are a bunch of Mormon fundies, Red necks, in breeders, and all sorts of trollette undesirables. They're not worthy of being allowed in the club house. It must make her cringe every time the Browns appear on national TV supporting gay marriage. "Wahhhhhh.....why can't those people leave us alone". Remember, Rosie, your cause is their cause, and their cause is your cause.

Did anyone from the pro gay marriage crowd honestly think this wouldn't happen? That plural marriage practitioners wouldn't jump on the band wagon?

Anyone willing to offer an honest answer?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#179576 Feb 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Rosie forgets the key word here is "MARRIAGE", as in same sex marriage, conjugal marriage, and yes the one she loves to deny, plural marriage. In her "marriage equality" world, Kody and his ladies are a bunch of Mormon fundies, Red necks, in breeders, and all sorts of trollette undesirables. They're not worthy of being allowed in the club house. It must make her cringe every time the Browns appear on national TV supporting gay marriage. "Wahhhhhh.....why can't those people leave us alone". Remember, Rosie, your cause is their cause, and their cause is your cause.
Did anyone from the pro gay marriage crowd honestly think this wouldn't happen? That plural marriage practitioners wouldn't jump on the band wagon?
Anyone willing to offer an honest answer?
They can try to jump on the bandwagon ( chuckle )

It wonít help

Until more responsible and civilized advocates of it come forward, it just isnít going anywhere.

It is just talk
Big D

Modesto, CA

#179577 Feb 14, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Is that a good thing old man? You want women in the front lines fighting islamics? U czy!
They already are, you just are ignorant of the fact
Big D

Modesto, CA

#179580 Feb 14, 2013
Frankie RIzzo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all marriage equality. Except for the goats, that's PETA.
P.S. Learn the subject you are debating, goats cannot enter into contracts. Neither can little girls. So your bigotry and ignorance regarding poly marriage is unfounded. It's just ignorance. And bigotry. And hypocrisy.
P.S. What happened to your dopey plan to tell all married gay couples that they are no longer married?
What a dope!
again you will need someone more civilized and human to make the case, because that is not what the general public is seeing and has seen.

I am not talking about me you idiot, I am talking about general support which you wont get as long as all they see so far on the subject has been pretty darn negative.
Mongol Man

Fallbrook, CA

#179582 Feb 14, 2013
I think gays should be allowed to marry. If I have to put up with a mother-in-law, they should too.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#179585 Feb 14, 2013
Mongol Man wrote:
I think gays should be allowed to marr y. If I have to put up with a mother-in-law, they should too.
And you know that's going to be ugly. Talk about a mommas boy.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#179586 Feb 14, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Is that a good thing old man? You want women in the front lines fighting islamics? U czy!
Islamics? Crap did we declare war on the Muslims?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cerritos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 10 min big meech 16,010
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 16 min Bruin For Life 27,588
Seattle rents rising faster than in any other m... 1 hr Ronald 2
Daniel Crespo (Jun '07) 5 hr Life Long BG resi... 48
REPORT: Dunkin' Donuts Employs Black People 5 hr Sherman 1
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 8 hr oops 5,022
10th and Pacific 15 hr Shrimpdog 1

Fire Weather Watch for Los Angeles County was issued at September 30 at 12:52PM PDT

Cerritos News Video

Cerritos Jobs

Cerritos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Cerritos News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cerritos

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]