people in military bases in France in...
Tom F

Westminster, MD

#3257 Aug 17, 2014
Sergeant Moody wrote:
Does anyone remember the names of the hotels that were contracted by USAF in Paris in 1967? Our family left Evreaux in March and departed from Orly. "Twas a nice hotel, in the city, and of course, very old. Hated to leave, but Charles was insistent...
Just came across this website and thought I'd respond in the event no one had before. I departed Chateauroux Air Station in 1965 and the hotel they had us stay in before departure from Orly was named The Litre (pronounced "Lee-Tree"). If I recall correctly, almost the entire hotel was contracted by U. S. Military ... even had an Air Force Transportation office in the lobby area.
Scherrie Adams-Ambre

Las Vegas, NV

#3258 Aug 17, 2014
Ray Mills wrote:
<quoted text>
Iposted this before but you may have missed it.
My wife and I were there at Toul Rosieres from 1964 to 1966 also. There are a couple of web-sites you may like:
http://trab.packwebs.net/index.asp
http://136.fr/
I am familiar with that site, Thank you. If you are on FaceBook, I would like to invite you to the TRAB (Toul Rosierés Air Base) page on FaceBook. Our page is comprised of former military personnel, military dependents, as well a few French citizen that were associated with the base.

Respectfully
Scherrie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/165637348280/...
Michael

Paris, France

#3259 Aug 18, 2014
Bill Ferris wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael, sorry about the ignorant reply you received. I spent 2 years in France. Caserne Larboisier Fountainbleau from Nov 1962 to Sept 1964. As an 18 year old from Bucksport, Maine, I can tell you that I thought most French people were very nice. I had the best time of my young life during that period. Not all Americans are like the one that sent you the reply. I for one will never forget the time I spent in France. Bill Ferris SFC Retired. USA
Bill,
Thank you for your kind words. I guess we will always be faced with extremists.
In a way, I feel doubly bad about people like “Kung Fu Daddy”. I feel bad as a person born in France against whom such remarks are made and I feel bad as an American citizen who reads such slurs from a compatriot. Having grown up in N.J. and served in the US Army for seven years in France, Germany and the States, seldom have I been up against such public violent hateful outburst.
Although John Beard is right about ignoring such people, I entertain the idea that we also have the responsibility to voice our disaccord and make sure that those who allow themselves to vent their racist hate know that they are neither approved nor accepted.
Thanks again to you all for your kind words.
Chantal

Whittier, CA

#3260 Aug 18, 2014
Chantal wrote:
<quoted text>
Used to live in Angouleme
Married to someone who went to Braconne
Not sure how to contact you
Thank you for your reply
Aline Joubert Durbin

Chicago, IL

#3262 Aug 18, 2014
[The name of the base was Dreux, I didn't know your parents but I am from St. Lubin-des-Joncherets most people know it by the name of Nonancourt because it is a very small town. Your mother most likely knows of the town it is
exactly 13 kms from the town of Dreux. I know of Senonches.
Good luck on your search
Aline Joubert Durbin

Chicago, IL

#3263 Aug 18, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Such a shame that after a stay in a foreign country, we should hear such ignorant, racist and low IQ comment !!! One has to really work at it to be so low intellectually.
M
Michael, I am French born and I have known stupid people, small mind like this idiot but I will not answer you said it better than me. I think his father was like him. So ,again thank you for all the french who love America. Thanks.
Janine Montgomery

Fayetteville, NC

#3264 Aug 18, 2014
Aline, I was also born in France where I met a G I and married him. We came back in the States Where we spent 50 wonderful years together raising a family. I lost him 3 years ago but I love America my new country. I am a French girl who always loved America. Shame on the idiots .
Tom Johnson

Memphis, TX

#3265 Aug 18, 2014
Idiots feed of hate, so I never bother with them. We have a good group at Caserne Aboville for Poitiers and all bases in France, with lots of great pictures from our time in France. Most of us came away with great feelings for the French people, and it was the best years of our lives.
Aline Joubert Durbin

Chicago, IL

#3266 Aug 18, 2014
Janine Montgomery wrote:
Aline, I was also born in France where I met a G I and married him. We came back in the States Where we spent 50 wonderful years together raising a family. I lost him 3 years ago but I love America my new country. I am a French girl who always loved America. Shame on the idiots .
Jeanine: I, too, married a G.I. I worked at Camp-des-Loges next to Paris.I love the States and although I missed my parents and my home town (it is so nice and peaceful) I also love Chicago but I am a French Country girl. I was American very early wore jeans, had my hair cut short , penny loafers, etc.. Well, I am very glad that you wrote me. Bonsoir.

P.S. I have been in the States for 50 years.
Aline Joubert Durbin

Chicago, IL

#3267 Aug 18, 2014
tomsimons wrote:
<quoted text> I wore that patch at Donges Pipeline unit from Dec 59 to around Jun of 61 we were part of rear com-z but switched to USAREUR REAR COM-Z it was up right pointing sword with small flames coming off the blade on a dark blue back ground This is the patch that most everyone wore at that time.I would really like to get hold of one or two the old COM-Z patches (The fleur de lis type)
Tom Simons
I used to work at Camp-des-Loges and when I checked in the new GIs I would asked them f or the patch> I had some from WWII with all the info. on the cards and after many years I gave them all to a cousin (French) who wanted them. I also gave him my husband uniform from Vietnam (I still have the hat somewhere). I wish I could of save some but I save too much for memories. I am sorry. Hope that you find one or two.
Meriochaud James

Vénissieux, France

#3268 Aug 20, 2014
Aline Joubert Durbin wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael, I am French born and I have known stupid people, small mind like this idiot but I will not answer you said it better than me. I think his father was like him. So ,again thank you for all the french who love America. Thanks.
Hi Aline,

Thanks for your real comments concerning this idiot ! I've retired 10 years ago from USAREUR working over 40 years for the US Army in France and Germany (Bussac Forêt, Camp des Loges and Mannheim ")- I love my country "France" and I love the United of America - as a matter of fact, I'm flying again to California this coming September 19th visiting family and friends there. Just ignore such stupid individuals. Bon courage et merci de votre sincère commentaire. s/James
Janine MONTGOMERY

Fayetteville, NC

#3269 Aug 20, 2014
Aline. My husband also was in Viet Nam He left Orleans in Dec 66 and alone I went to Texas. When he came back he was sent to Ft Bragg where we stayed. I live in the states since Feb,1961 and now alone since he passed away 3 years ago this month Iam in NC with all our family. Where were you born in France.
Au revoir Janine
Aline Joubert Durbin

Chicago, IL

#3270 Aug 20, 2014
Janine MONTGOMERY wrote:
Aline. My husband also was in Viet Nam He left Orleans in Dec 66 and alone I went to Texas. When he came back he was sent to Ft Bragg where we stayed. I live in the states since Feb,1961 and now alone since he passed away 3 years ago this month Iam in NC with all our family. Where were you born in France.
Au revoir Janine
Yes I was born in a hamlet name laleu town of St. Lubin-des-Joncherets (Eure-et-Loir), I was born in 1941 and I do remember certain things about the war. On the other side of the river it is Normandy so we had a lot of action. My ex-husband was sent to Vietnam 6 mos. after we came. He was stationed in Maryland, mountain town, which means that I had trouble making french bread plus an electric stove (hard as a rock could of use it to play hockey).. It was hard at first to get used to American although I spoke English but it was worse when we moved to Chicago before he left for Vietnam. He saw a lot of guys that we new from Camp-des-Loges in Vietnam and I always wonder how many made it back . Nice talking with you, au revoir, Aline. P.S.:I am on facebook under my name.
ROBERT GUTH

West Bend, WI

#3272 Aug 21, 2014
looking for guys from 82nd trans co stationed in etain from 58 to 60, remember "DUKE"
Kung Fu Daddy

Carson, CA

#3273 Aug 21, 2014
Al Boka - Las Vegas wrote:
"Kung Fu Daddy"? The name says it all. You are, in my opinion, a twisted and ignorant fool. France, and the French people I have known [and I have known many in the 6 years I was stationed there] were certainly superior to your low-life type. You deserve to live in Gardena which is a pig sty.
I live in Palos Verdes. But you've already proven yourself clueless.
Cathy Kukula

Washington, MI

#3274 Aug 26, 2014
Caroline Baker wrote:
I live in Fontainebleau France and am collecting memories from US families who were stationed here in the 1950s. This is prompted by meeting someone who was here as a child, and wanted to take pictures of the house I now live in. I am particularly interested in how the wives felt since Fontainebleau at that time must have been very different from the US.
Thank you in advance
Hi Caroline, my father was a US Army dentist at Casserne Laborsierre in 1956-1958. My mother and I went back to Fontainebleu in July 2012 to see the house they lived in.. Which was actually in Acheres la Foret, on Rue du Chateau. We wanted to go inside the house, but the current owners were not home. Could you help us (in any way) find out who lives there now so that we could write to them? We plan on returning again soon, but would love to see the inside of the house. My mother says " it was very different". Said she had to learn to shovel coal for the furnace, and had to cope with the electricity going out because the circuits overloaded easily! Had bats flying around the backyard!! Lots more memories and photos!
PatEucom

Versailles, KY

#3275 Aug 27, 2014
Does anybody recall the names Jerry Crocker wife Faye, Verl Carter wife Ginger, Capt.Goldberg, Sgt. Johns and French wife Marie, Joy Wiiliams and husband Bill, John Bateman and French wife Evelyn, Steve Kenaley, Robert Wingeter ? I was stationed at Camp des Loges 1956-1958. with my husband who worked at Headquaters EUCOM in TS Control. These were some of our friends. Would like to know if any of these folks are still around.
madame bonnie benson

Kansas City, MO

#3276 Aug 29, 2014
we were at camp la boiserie from june 1964 until april 1967my spouse was over the mess hall on the NATO side I was a cashier at the base exchange and hung out at the York club
Cathy Hatridge

Ballwin, MO

#3277 Aug 30, 2014
Hi! I am looking for either Jane or Evelyn Russell - sisters. They lived in the Army Housing subdivision of Regina Village in Toul, France around 1962-64.
Chou-Chou

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#3278 Sep 1, 2014
A friend of mine led me to this website...what a treasure to read posts by people who have had similar experiences as my siblings and me. Our family lived in Regina Village. After reading Nancy Danielson's 'post about the maribel trees, licking shells(roudoudou) and bus rides to the base in order to watch movies...The Lone Ranger for one, other memories continue to flood my mind. It's one thing to share experiences from city to city or even state to state, but from another country...can't compare. Unlike some, for me the time in France was a rich experience in many ways. After pursuing through many of the posts, the only unfortunate thing is not recognizing any of the family names I remember from the time we lived there, but the read has been enjoyable!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cerritos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Whata s the best way to end L.A.a s homeless cr... 1 hr ANTI FRAUD UNIT 16
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 14 hr Bruin For Life 32,407
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 23 hr lmsa info 6,807
News La Mirada council agrees to elect members by di... 23 hr MarkGonzalez 3
Black Girl Punches Elderly Hispanic Lady Today ... (Jul '11) Thu blm brother 11
Latinos Running Blacks Straight Outta Compton (Jan '13) Wed Andre_deam 137
U.S. Owes Black People Reparations Wed Kong Honking 2

Cerritos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cerritos Mortgages