people in military bases in France in...
Tom Johnson

Whitney, TX

#3207 Jul 13, 2014
Norman Gardner wrote:
would like to know if Tom Johnson was ever at Bussac, and if he played football for the Bussac Broncos ?
Sorry Norman, I was at Poitiers, though I did travel quite a bit.
John Taft

Chesapeake, VA

#3208 Jul 14, 2014
I was stationed at Braconne during 1955 and 56. I don't remember what patch I wore. I think it was a 3rd army patch. Does anyone know? I am getting old and memory is not very good. Thanks
jeremy

France

#3209 Jul 15, 2014
Hello,
i'm french i live in velaine en Haye..
i looking for picture of the américain base in the "foret de Haye" near Nancy.
thank you annd sorry m'y English is verry bad
John Beard

Raleigh, NC

#3210 Jul 16, 2014
John Taft wrote:
I was stationed at Braconne during 1955 and 56. I don't remember what patch I wore. I think it was a 3rd army patch. Does anyone know? I am getting old and memory is not very good. Thanks
It was my impression that our army personnel stationed in France during the 1950s wore what we referred to as the "ComZ" patch. It was red, white and blue, in the form of a shield and had fleur de lis on it.

I was stationed at HQS USEUCOM, Camp des Loges, St Germain-en-laye. We did not wear the patch because we weren't considered to be a part of Communications Zone forces. I think the folks at SHAPE also didn't wear the patch--but I don't know for sure. I was a little miffed that I didn't have a unit patch--nor a PFC stripe until after 22 months of service....
tomsimons

Flint, TX

#3211 Jul 16, 2014
John Beard wrote:
<quoted text>
It was my impression that our army personnel stationed in France during the 1950s wore what we referred to as the "ComZ" patch. It was red, white and blue, in the form of a shield and had fleur de lis on it.
I was stationed at HQS USEUCOM, Camp des Loges, St Germain-en-laye. We did not wear the patch because we weren't considered to be a part of Communications Zone forces. I think the folks at SHAPE also didn't wear the patch--but I don't know for sure. I was a little miffed that I didn't have a unit patch--nor a PFC stripe until after 22 months of service....
I wore that patch at Donges Pipeline unit from Dec 59 to around Jun of 61 we were part of rear com-z but switched to USAREUR REAR COM-Z it was up right pointing sword with small flames coming off the blade on a dark blue back ground This is the patch that most everyone wore at that time.I would really like to get hold of one or two the old COM-Z patches (The fleur de lis type)

Tom Simons
Tom Johnson

Hawley, TX

#3214 Jul 17, 2014
Try this Link to purchase the ComZ Patch. If it doesn't work contact me offline http://militarybest.com/u-s--army-communicati...
John Beard

Raleigh, NC

#3215 Jul 17, 2014
Tom Johnson wrote:
Try this Link to purchase the ComZ Patch. If it doesn't work contact me offline http://militarybest.com/u-s--army-communicati...
Tom, your a heck of a guy. It almost brought tears to my eyes to see the photo of a life-size ComZ patch again--that I never wore....
tomsimons

Flint, TX

#3216 Jul 17, 2014
Tom Johnson wrote:

Thanks Tom , will try this link
Tom Simons
Tom Johnson

Hawley, TX

#3217 Jul 17, 2014
John Beard wrote:
<quoted text>
Tom, your a heck of a guy. It almost brought tears to my eyes to see the photo of a life-size ComZ patch again--that I never wore....
John, check the other patches on that Site. You might find the one you wore. Several of us were having reunions in South Texas a few years back, and we had shirts made with the ComZ Patch on the back to wear. I still have mine, a black one and a green one.
Joyce Robert Conner

Jacksonville, FL

#3218 Jul 18, 2014
As the wife of Robert 'Bob' Conner we lived in and about Phalsbourg USAF base from the summer of 1964 till Dec 1966. We had one son on the way there and two on our return to the USA (one born a few months after we arrived at Toul Rossier base). Bob was a weather maintenance radar tech. I believe is superior co worker was Keith Walters who had a wife Linda. In the beginning we lived in a circle of homes of off base housing, many of which were officers (2 doctors). Later it was better we lived in the old green Italian trailers with lean too rooms added on. About once a week a small plane would drop off supplies for our on base dispensary. Demonstrations at the gate cut our tour short.Do remember a few names and have a few photos of these friends we socialized with.
Ray Mills

Trenton, NJ

#3219 Jul 18, 2014
Joyce Robert Conner wrote:
As the wife of Robert 'Bob' Conner we lived in and about Phalsbourg USAF base from the summer of 1964 till Dec 1966. We had one son on the way there and two on our return to the USA (one born a few months after we arrived at Toul Rossier base). Bob was a weather maintenance radar tech. I believe is superior co worker was Keith Walters who had a wife Linda. In the beginning we lived in a circle of homes of off base housing, many of which were officers (2 doctors). Later it was better we lived in the old green Italian trailers with lean too rooms added on. About once a week a small plane would drop off supplies for our on base dispensary. Demonstrations at the gate cut our tour short.Do remember a few names and have a few photos of these friends we socialized with.
My wife and I were there at Toul Rosieres from 1964 to 1966 also. There are a couple of web-sites you may like:
http://trab.packwebs.net/index.asp
http://136.fr/
jeff

Morris Plains, NJ

#3223 Jul 24, 2014
MERCIER jean Bordeaux wrote:
Hi,
I live in Bordeaux in a house which belonged to John .J. KARPINSKI, of Newark (New Jersey), he was military American to Bussac-ForĂȘt in 1955.
If somebody has relations with him, if he(it) did not die, thank you for informing me!..
Friendly
I know a John Karpinski who is a Korean War Veteran that resides in NJ
john rieben

Denver, CO

#3224 Jul 24, 2014
Hey Tom. I was ticked when we were told we had to wear the COMZ patch. It was a badge of honor to have a bare left sleeve. A sort of special status that separated most of us from the RA's. I admit that today I have a khaki baseball hat with the patch applied to it that I wear constantly. I'm sorry about your failure to achieve an E4 rank. I didn't even get a Good Conduct Medal.
john rieben

Denver, CO

#3225 Jul 24, 2014
Whoops. I guess I meant Tom. Sorry.
Tom Clark

Saint Charles, IL

#3226 Jul 25, 2014
charlieblute wrote:
Captain Wisniewski was my old CO at the 83rd Engineers H&S Company, in Fontenet. Wow...He has passed away sadly.
I was at Fontenet in 52-55 and Trois Fontain AD and Verdun High 58-61.
I found our old home a few miles from the post on Google Earth. It hasn't changed.
Irene

Turin, Italy

#3227 Jul 27, 2014
Hi, My father, Frank Moreno, was stationed in Dreaux '62/'63. I believe he was a supply troop at the time, he ended up retraining to Weather. He married my mom during his tour, she is from a little village by Senonches. My father passed away some years back, but I would love to hear from anyone that may have known him.
Jan Wright Radovic

UK

#3228 Jul 27, 2014
Although he died in 1982, my father, Ssgt Orville Kemper Wright, was stationed at Toul Rosiers during part of the 60s along with my mum Maureen, brother Tony (6 yrs) and me - born 1957. My dad rarely talked about his military service and my mum died in 2009 so there is not one I can really ask about that time. I know it is a (very) long shot, but does anyone, or their relatives, remember anything about my dad they could share with me? As far as I'm aware, he worked primarily as a radio operator. We left in 1960 as he was transferred to Biloxi and then onto SAC HQ in Omaha. Thank you to everyone who reads this and fingers crossed, on of you may have some information.
Paula Bullard Royce

Rincon, GA

#3229 Jul 27, 2014
My sisters and I attended school at Brienne le Chateau Elementary School 1964-65. They held school in the library building....first and second grades on one side of the hall and third and fourth graders on the otherside.(Library was in the middle.) They also held chapel on Sunday there. Good memories. Mr. May was my teacher and the principal. We would have air raid drills, spur of the moment, when he would blow his flute. It was the most fun.....we dived under our desks!
At recess, we would pile onto the merry-go-round and PFC Sheilds would push us round and round, with ear flap covers of his hat down, like a puppy dog. Movies were seen in the hangar. Too many memories to mention. When DeGaulle kicked us out, we moved to Mannheim.
Lura Frazey

Estacada, OR

#3230 Jul 27, 2014
My father, Wesley Lee Frazey, was stationed at Brienne-le-Chateau from early 1961 to the end of 1962. He always spoke of his time in the service as some of the best of his life. I am seeking anyone who knew him at that time and might know the full name of the woman he married. I think her first name was Michelle and apparently she was a secretary at the base. Thanks.
Mike Breen

Jacksonville, FL

#3231 Jul 31, 2014
I was stationed in Metz from 1960 -63 with the 70th Engineers at Turnabride just outside of teh city center. That base was decomissioned and turned back to the French where it still serves as a French military facility.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cerritos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What has happened to Lynwood? (Dec '05) 16 hr surenos 1,087
News Diversity, love, strength and unity celebrated ... 18 hr Ronald 9
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 22 hr Davis 6,497
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Tue Evan 32,266
dunkin donuts Tue Obsidion 1
News Try home remedies for neuropathy (Mar '08) Tue Bruce 224
News Tim Grobaty: Remember these cool places in the ... (Oct '10) May 22 Alea 25
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cerritos Mortgages