people in military bases in France in...
Scotty Bennett

Cornelia, GA

#3038 Feb 26, 2014
Hi Celtic and Suzanne,
You maybe able to find the info you want if you go to National Personnel Records Center on line at http://vetrecs.archives.gov and request your father's military personnel records.
They will give you a list of all the places that your father was station.

Hope this will help you.
BILL wARNER

Canton, OH

#3040 Mar 2, 2014
I was stationed at mason fort with 553 engr comp c 1965-1966 then went to the 78th engr. in neu ulm
Peter B Yorke

Boynton Beach, FL

#3043 Mar 15, 2014
Linda Edge wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe there is someone who remembers Bel Manoir! I have been trying to locate information about what has happened to it and where it was. My husband was a bus driver for the Army dependants from 1963-64.I rode his bus every payday to the shopping center at Bel Manoir. Once a month the snack bar would have steak night and those were the best steaks I have ever had for three bucks. please let me know if you know what ever happened to Bel Manoir.
I just found this thread! My father, Major Harvey F Yorke, was stationed at Camp Des Loges from 1959-1962. We lived in Petit Beauregard (kitty-corner to Bel Manoir), we played at the Community Center (across the street from Bel Manoir), we went to school at Garches (Go Paris Pirates!), we went to church at SHAPE and did all our shopping at, you guessed it, Bel Manoir. I was old enough to remember most if it.
Nathalie

Auray, France

#3045 Mar 16, 2014
Larry Coppala wrote:
I arrived in LaRochelle France in August 1963. By the time I left in June 1966, I had worked at Laleu, Jeumont, Aufredi, Croix Chapeau, Bordeaux, Rochefort, LeVerdun (Soulac) and Hennebont (Brittany). Mostly I shipped equipment out of France, closing bases and NATO sites. Also our first child was born at The U.S. Army hospital at Chinon in 1965. At this web address on my personal web page are just 15 of my photos from France. I have MANY more photos. Really like to find old friends.
3846http://pwp.att.net/p/s/com munity.dll?ep=331&folderid =210983&groupid=273794 &folderview=thumbs&ck=
Hi Larry...do you remember me ??? Some years ago ... do you know a man called Jack CAMPBELL...He was in La Rochelle in 1963 ...kisses nath
bruno jaffre

Antibes, France

#3046 Mar 16, 2014
Chère Nathalie,
je vois votre message à Larry. Je cherche à contacter des soldats US qui avaient intallé le camp d'Hennebont sur des terrains appartenant à ma mère. Pouvez-vous me contacter? J'ai des difficultés en anglais.
amicalement
bruno
S ferguson

UK

#3048 Mar 17, 2014
I am looking for a sergeant paige was posted in evreaux, France in 1966. He is an African-American male. And he had five children. For girls and one boy. I am looking on behalf of a friend who says that him and his wife were very nice to her and difficult time
Barry

New York, NY

#3055 Mar 24, 2014
69th sig bn, Orleans, France 62-63,
Thomas Guinee

Hawthorne, NJ

#3056 Mar 25, 2014
Barry: Idon't recall a 69th signal Btn in Orleans at that time. I was in the 269th Signal Co SVC. at that time. What was your MOS? If you were in the Photo Section I may remember you.
Al Boka - Las Vegas

AOL

#3058 Mar 31, 2014
Isn't there anyone out there who was stationed at Orly Field between 1957 and 1961?
Bob Smith

Zurich, Switzerland

#3059 Apr 2, 2014
Al Boka - Las Vegas wrote:
Isn't there anyone out there who was stationed at Orly Field between 1957 and 1961?
I went to school there in 60-61, Al, while my dad was stationed at the 12th Air Postal Squadron in Paris. We lived at 29 Voie G in the Grigny housing...I also went to the base theater there almost every Saturday from 60 - 63.
Al Boka - Las Vegas

AOL

#3060 Apr 2, 2014
Bob Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to school there in 60-61, Al, while my dad was stationed at the 12th Air Postal Squadron in Paris. We lived at 29 Voie G in the Grigny housing...I also went to the base theater there almost every Saturday from 60 - 63.
Bob,
What are you doing in Switzerland? Lucky guy! I remember Grigny well as I knew several co-workers who lived there. Personally, I wound up living first at the Hotel Pompedour in Place D'Italie and, later, in Maisons Alfort. Orly was, perhaps, the greatest unrecognized assignment to ever exist in the US Air Force. I know it spoiled me, an 18-year old, distorting my life values [for the good] forever. I am still quite active with the international world and have been the treasurer of the Assocition of International Marathons and Distance Races [AIMS] since 1996. I wound up living in Las Vegas and adapted to a marathon-running lifestyle after leaving the USAF in 1979. Anyone interested can visit the AIMS web site at www.aimsworldrunning.org .
Hunter

Bellevue, NE

#3061 Apr 3, 2014
Bob Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to school there in 60-61, Al, while my dad was stationed at the 12th Air Postal Squadron in Paris. We lived at 29 Voie G in the Grigny housing...I also went to the base theater there almost every Saturday from 60 - 63.
\
Bob - you may have known my wife (then Alma Jean Welford). The makeshift theater in the Orly passenger terminal was where we met. Now my wife of 50 years.
Bob Smith

Zurich, Switzerland

#3064 Apr 8, 2014
Al,
I work for a Swiss company with facilities in the US. I could only hope to spend some time in Switzerland...Maybe before I retire in 3 years...
Hunter,
if your wife also lived in Grigny & may have been in High School at Garches in 61-63, I vaguely remember her. I was in 4th & 5th grades, but I remember an Alma who rode the school bus.
Hunter

Bellevue, NE

#3065 Apr 8, 2014
Bob Smith wrote:
Al,
I work for a Swiss company with facilities in the US. I could only hope to spend some time in Switzerland...Maybe before I retire in 3 years...
Hunter,
if your wife also lived in Grigny & may have been in High School at Garches in 61-63, I vaguely remember her. I was in 4th & 5th grades, but I remember an Alma who rode the school bus.
Yes, Alma lived in Grigny and rode the bus. She graduated from PAHS in 1962. Her best friend was Connie Cramer, daughter of the Orly MATS squadron Commander. Alma's father was MSgt Bill Welford, the squadron First Sergeant.
Bob Smith

Zurich, Switzerland

#3066 Apr 9, 2014
Hi Al. Probably the same woman (girl). I never met anyone else with that name. I'd have to see her HS pic to be sure. Being one of the "little kids" she probably wouldn't remember me. I recently found an old pic of the Cub Scout Den from Grigny in 61 or 62. I will see if I can post it here when I get home. As an aside to this post, one of the Airman who ran the temporary base theater at Orly was Bob Asche. His rank escapes me. Big guy with red hair who also lived on Voie G in Grigny. He actually retired in the Albany NY area. He & his wife, Judy hooked up with my Mom & Dad a couple of times before they passed away...
Sally Downing Thomas

Wylie, TX

#3068 Apr 13, 2014
Ron, Lt. Col. Edward Downing was my dad. He retired from the military in Oct. '63, went back and got a masters degree becoming a guidance counselor at a high school in New Mexico. He died December 23, 1999. I remember very well going down (we drove) and being there when he went through the French jump school. I have the certificate he received. My sister (who married a Lt. in the air force there) and I live in Dallas with our families. My husband is also retired army. I can remember my dad used to let me go to work with him for a day every so often and I loved walking around St. Andre.
Kim Davis

Sioux City, IA

#3069 Apr 13, 2014
[Ed
My dad was stationed at Ingrandes France. He and my mom lived in La Roche Posey. I can't figure where the actual base was. They were there before you, in 1957 Was the base called Ingrande? He was in th Army.
Thank you
Tom Johnson

Whitney, TX

#3070 Apr 14, 2014
Kim Davis wrote:
[Ed
My dad was stationed at Ingrandes France. He and my mom lived in La Roche Posey. I can't figure where the actual base was. They were there before you, in 1957 Was the base called Ingrande? He was in th Army.
Thank you
Kim,
We have Members and Photo Albums of Ingrandes at our Poitiers Yahoo Group. When I was stationed at Poitiers, our headquarters was at Ingrandes, about 30 or so miles from us. Come over and join us. We have Members from from Army and Air Force bases in France. Lots of pictures. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/caserne_a...
Alain Wojcik

Trappes, France

#3071 Apr 14, 2014
Ron Santos wrote:
<quoted text>
My name is Ron Santos and I was assigned to the US Army Aerial Suport Center APO 253 from May 1959 to August 1960. I was a Specialist E4 assigned as Chief of the Post Message Center. I had additional duty as Post Photographer and as such was able to travel
when the unit under the command of Lt Col Edward J Downing and 2 or 3 dozen airborne types flew to the French Airborne School in Pau France close to the Pyrenees. Our group flew from Evereux to Pau in 2 C130 transports. The mission was to foster Franco-American relations by engaging in a combined jump with both American and French airborne troops. I was in the lead aircraft with my commanding officer Lt Col Downing and a French major. I took 2 pictures, the first with my CO helping the French major hook up his status line and the second with my CO standing in the doorway of the aircraft seconds before exiting. The photo was of him silouetted against the sky (pure black and white) The jump helmet with chinstrap and the silouette of his prominent probiscus was fantastic. Anyone that knew him knew from his silouette that this was him. At any rate both pictures were printed by the European Stars and Stripes in the center section of their Sunday Edition along with the story of the combined exercise. The Monday after the article was published, the colonel, an ex schoolteacher from Indiana sent several dozen large envelopes with the newspaper to friends and family back home.
I am currently retired and leaving in the Peoria IL area.
Please add your response to the quote
Alain Wojcik

Trappes, France

#3072 Apr 14, 2014
Ron Santos wrote:
<quoted text>
My name is Ron Santos and I was assigned to the US Army Aerial Suport Center APO 253 from May 1959 to August 1960. I was a Specialist E4 assigned as Chief of the Post Message Center. I had additional duty as Post Photographer and as such was able to travel
when the unit under the command of Lt Col Edward J Downing and 2 or 3 dozen airborne types flew to the French Airborne School in Pau France close to the Pyrenees. Our group flew from Evereux to Pau in 2 C130 transports. The mission was to foster Franco-American relations by engaging in a combined jump with both American and French airborne troops. I was in the lead aircraft with my commanding officer Lt Col Downing and a French major. I took 2 pictures, the first with my CO helping the French major hook up his status line and the second with my CO standing in the doorway of the aircraft seconds before exiting. The photo was of him silouetted against the sky (pure black and white) The jump helmet with chinstrap and the silouette of his prominent probiscus was fantastic. Anyone that knew him knew from his silouette that this was him. At any rate both pictures were printed by the European Stars and Stripes in the center section of their Sunday Edition along with the story of the combined exercise. The Monday after the article was published, the colonel, an ex schoolteacher from Indiana sent several dozen large envelopes with the newspaper to friends and family back home.
I am currently retired and leaving in the Peoria IL area.
Dear Ron,
My name is Alain Wojcik, I'm French St Rémy sur Avre. I read your message and informed Sally Thomas Downing, daughter of your colonel because I have contacts with the site Dreux American High School. She answered you page 147
cordially

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cerritos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 10 min LM Resident 6,603
News Water Replenishment District inks $110 million ... 56 min Sopr 7
News Pico Rivera City Council rejects 35-unit condom... 2 hr pico loco 1
News Swastika on black Biola studenta s door brings ... 3 hr Featherstone Harb... 4
Pauline Kael: Stupid Broad, Loathed Minorities 3 hr immagonna 1
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 hr Bruin For Life 32,288
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 15 hr Robert 2,984
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cerritos Mortgages