people in military bases in France in...

Since: Apr 11

Houston, TX

#2849 Aug 9, 2013
Eric-John GUINT wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Bill
I was young but I keep good memories when my father was in U.S. Army in caserne LARIBOISIERE.
I also found a lot of uniforms and sports equipment catalogs from the beginning of sixties.
I think one of my father's job was to order materials in the USA but unfortunately he is not here anymore to confirm it.
Best regards
Eric-John GUINT Taiwan and Sens Yonne France (50 Kms south of Fontainebleau)
Hello Eric-John,
I just read your reply to Bill Ferris and I am very excited!

My Father was stationed at Casserne Lariboisierre with the PDC in 1964 I was only 9 years old but still have many memories of the Post and our time in Fontainebleau.

I have recently acquired a photo of the Post taken in 1967. I remember many of the places but can't remember where the Gymnasium was located. I remember playing basketball there once. Can you describe its location?

Regards,
Jim Best
Alain WOJCIK

Élancourt, France

#2850 Aug 9, 2013
Judy Nathan wrote:
I too remember La Plage... have no idea where it was but as a young girl of 9, it was my first experience with topless sun worshipers!! There was nothing like that in my life before that!! My father was a big photographer also, but I think my brother has all the photos/slides since both our parents have passed away. <quoted text>
C'est la plage de Médan , le village ou il y a la maison de l'écrivain Emile Zola . C'est aprés Poissy.
Amicalement
Mariano R Amezcua

Virginia Beach, VA

#2851 Aug 10, 2013
Cindy wrote:
I, too, lived in Paris from 1965 to 1967. My father was stationed at Camp De Loges; we lived in apartments (Grande Terre...not sure of the spelling). My father was SFC Harold Huey Palmer.
<quoted text>
Wow, I was stationed at Rue Marbeuf, I was assigned to the 4th Movement Region, Paris France. I lived at George V, a one room living accomodation. My FirstSgt was MSG Sweet. I also lived close to the River Seine, used to run up and down looking at the statue of liberty, the small figure which was assemble in NY City. Used to go to Camp de Loges. Man how time flies. Went to Camp Belousoe closer to Paris then Camp de Loges. Have a great day.
Mariano
Eric-John GUINT

Taipei, Taiwan

#2852 Aug 12, 2013
Jim Best wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Eric-John,
My Father was stationed at Casserne Lariboisierre with the PDC in 1964 I was only 9 years old but still have many memories of the Post and our time in Fontainebleau.
I have recently acquired a photo of the Post taken in 1967. I remember many of the places but can't remember where the Gymnasium was located. I remember playing basketball there once. Can you describe its location?
Regards,
Jim Best
Hi Jim
I only remember the sports facilities at Camp GUYNEMER 400 meters from the barracks LARIBOISIERE in the forest, the baseball field and also british playing cricket.
Do you remember where you were living in Fontainebleau?
Regards
E.J Guint

Houston, TX

#2853 Aug 12, 2013
Eric-John GUINT wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Jim
I only remember the sports facilities at Camp GUYNEMER 400 meters from the barracks LARIBOISIERE in the forest, the baseball field and also british playing cricket.
Regards
E.J Guint
Hello Eric-John,

I played Little League baseball at Camp Guynemer in the summers of 1964 & 1965. I also remember indoor swimming on the base as well.

I also have a memory of driving on the NATO base along a road with softball fields where adults (soldiers & airmen) were playing games. My memory was that these fields were on the way to the Little League fields where I played baseball.

Do you remember the location of the fields at Camp Guynemer? When I look at the satellite photo on Google Maps I believe the softball & baseball fields would be in the southeast corner of the base between the swimming pool and the road (D606).

Do you have any photographs of the base from this time?
I have not asked how old you are. Were you a young boy at this time?

Regards,
Jim
Eric-John GUINT

Sens, France

#2854 Aug 12, 2013
Jim Best wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Eric-John,
I played Little League baseball at Camp Guynemer in the summers of 1964 & 1965. I also remember indoor swimming on the base as well.
I also have a memory of driving on the NATO base along a road with softball fields where adults (soldiers & airmen) were playing games. My memory was that these fields were on the way to the Little League fields where I played baseball.
Do you remember the location of the fields at Camp Guynemer? When I look at the satellite photo on Google Maps I believe the softball & baseball fields would be in the southeast corner of the base between the swimming pool and the road (D606).
Do you have any photographs of the base from this time?
I have not asked how old you are. Were you a young boy at this time?
Regards,
Jim
hello Jim

I'm younger than you.
I was only 6 years old and my sister 10 years.
Our mother was French and she did not want us to go to the American school in great despair of my father.
We went in French private schools
The baseball field was right next to the pool
I think I remember that it was close to the railway line PARIS LYON MARSEILLE through the forest.
So right from the camp when we go through the main gate.
Thank you follow this link
https://picasaweb.google.com/1015412646578854...

I saw a map of the camp GUYNEMER on the web.
I was every day in Caserne LARIBOISIERE for shopping at the PX with my mother.
I think my father played baseball with the SAINTS or was in link with the baseball team due to its job.(Thanks to Bill Ferris)
I found some equipment.
Where did you lived in Fontainebleau.
I know that one of my father's work at a time was to find rental housing for American families.
I have pictures but more from fifties.
My father was a veteran of WW2
I sent you a personal email . Did you recieve it?
You are very welcome to contact me on my email address
[email protected]

Best regards

E.J. GUINT
John Lucas

Washington, DC

#2855 Aug 12, 2013
Jim Best wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Eric-John,
Regards,
Jim Best
Jim:

Regarding your "gymnasium location question"; the gym was located in the "corner" of Caserne Lariboisiere, behind the hospital building. Mentally imagine departing the hospital from the rear entrance, looking to the right, one would have viewed the gym building.

The post gym was constructed very late in the US history of Caserne Lariboisiere. It was completely new construction (as opposed to renovated old construction). The gym housed a regulation basketball court, weight area, at least 2 changing areas with showers (separated not by a wall, but by an industrial curtain.

The gym is at the top right (inside the perimeter wall) in this aerial view:

http://www.bing.com/images/search...

John Lucas
Fontainebleau 1952-1966
Bill Ferris

Augusta, ME

#2856 Aug 13, 2013
John Lucas wrote:
<quoted text>
Jim:
Regarding your "gymnasium location question"; the gym was located in the "corner" of Caserne Lariboisiere, behind the hospital building. Mentally imagine departing the hospital from the rear entrance, looking to the right, one would have viewed the gym building.
The post gym was constructed very late in the US history of Caserne Lariboisiere. It was completely new construction (as opposed to renovated old construction). The gym housed a regulation basketball court, weight area, at least 2 changing areas with showers (separated not by a wall, but by an industrial curtain.
John Lucas
Fontainebleau 1952-1966
Hi Jim & Eric, hope this reply goes though, as my last 3 replies have been rejected for some reason. Yes, this gym was behind the hospital. I was glad to see a picture of the post on this from John Lucas. I had forgotten where every place was. Take care Bill Ferris

Houston, TX

#2857 Aug 13, 2013
Eric, John, & Bill,

Thank you so much!!!

I used the hyperlink in Johns post and a few more questions about building locations if you don't mind.
Using the numbers on the photo, building #18, by my recollection contained the PX (18g or f), Bowling Alley (18a northwest corner), NCO Club (18a middle of north side), & a motor pool (18h,i,j east side).
Do these seem correct?
I am also looking for the location of the Boy Scout house which I think is #21.
I am so excited to find someone who can help me with these landmarks.
As many of the GIs on this Blog I have may fond childhood memories. My rich Uncle Sam gave my family an incredible opportunity to see a place that we could never have seen otherwise.
Warmest Regards,
Jim

Houston, TX

#2858 Aug 13, 2013
Eric-John GUINT wrote:
<quoted text>
hello Jim
I'm younger than you.
I was only 6 years old and my sister 10 years.
Our mother was French and she did not want us to go to the American school in great despair of my father.
We went in French private schools
The baseball field was right next to the pool
I think I remember that it was close to the railway line PARIS LYON MARSEILLE through the forest.
So right from the camp when we go through the main gate.
Thank you follow this link
https://picasaweb.google.com/1015412646578854...
I saw a map of the camp GUYNEMER on the web.
I was every day in Caserne LARIBOISIERE for shopping at the PX with my mother.
I think my father played baseball with the SAINTS or was in link with the baseball team due to its job.(Thanks to Bill Ferris)
I found some equipment.
Where did you lived in Fontainebleau.
I know that one of my father's work at a time was to find rental housing for American families.
I have pictures but more from fifties.
My father was a veteran of WW2
I sent you a personal email . Did you recieve it?
You are very welcome to contact me on my email address
[email protected]
Best regards
E.J. GUINT
Hello E.J.

Yes I received your email.
I do not recall my family attending that concert.

My family first lived in an apartment in La Butte Monceau.
We then moved to the US Army - Defontaine Housing Area near Acheres-La-Foret.

I have some more questions about Fontainebleau and will contact you using your email.

Warm Regards,
Jim

Houston, TX

#2859 Aug 14, 2013
John Lucas wrote:
<quoted text>
Jim:
John Lucas
Fontainebleau 1952-1966
John,
Thank you so much for this detailed description of the gym.

I have a memory from 1965 as a 10 year old, going to a basketball practice.
My memory was of a basketball court in the center of the gym with areas on either end with equipment. I also recalled a large curtain seperating the equipment from the basketball court.

Jim
John Lucas

Washington, DC

#2860 Aug 14, 2013
Jim Best wrote:
Eric, John, & Bill,
Thank you so much!!!
I used the hyperlink in Johns post and a few more questions about building locations if you don't mind.
Using the numbers on the photo, building #18, by my recollection contained the PX (18g or f), Bowling Alley (18a northwest corner), NCO Club (18a middle of north side), & a motor pool (18h,i,j east side).
Do these seem correct?
I am also looking for the location of the Boy Scout house which I think is #21.
I am so excited to find someone who can help me with these landmarks.
As many of the GIs on this Blog I have may fond childhood memories. My rich Uncle Sam gave my family an incredible opportunity to see a place that we could never have seen otherwise.
Warmest Regards,
Jim
Jim:

Because I don't have access to your map or photo numbered overlay, I am therefore not able to reply specifically to your "locations" queries. On the aerial photo at http://www.bing.com/images/search... , the Cub Scout and Boy Scout "huts" are the 3rd and 4th buildings respectively, i.e., counting up and stating from the bottom right-most corner of the casern. Consider sending me your e-mail to [email protected]; I'd be able to reply with the aerial photo with annotations.

John W. Lucas
Bill Ferris

Augusta, ME

#2861 Aug 15, 2013
Jim Best wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Bill,
My Father was stationed at Casserne Lariboisierre with the PDC in 1964 I was only 9 years old but still have many memories of the Post and our time in Fontainebleau. I have recently acquired a photo of the Post taken in 1967. I remember many of the places but can't remember where the Gymnasium was located. I remember playing basketball there once. Can you describe its location?
Regards,
Jim Best - Houston Tx
Hi Jim, this is the 2nd time I've tried to answer your note. Hope this one goes though. As answered in other notes, the gym was behind the Post Hospital. I spent many hours there , working & working out with the weights. I also played some basketball there & I did at times coach some dependent kids in basketball. Maybe you were one of those kids. I was also the Babe Ruth baseball coach for the dep kids team in 1964. I enjoyed the picture of the post. It brought back many nice moments. I arrived in Fontainbleau in Oct 1963 & left in Oct 1964. I was 18 when I arrived & 20 when I left. Those two years were a great education for an 18 year old kid from Bucksport, Maine. I have many great memories of Paris. If I had been older, I would have spent less time in the bars ( The LaBohme) and more time taking pictures. But I can remember those years as though it was yesterday. Take care. Bill Ferris
Hunter Vaught

Papillion, NE

#2862 Aug 16, 2013
My wife graduated from Paris American High School in 1962. We still have her yearbooks for 1961 and 1962 in case anyone wants any pictures scanned and sent via e-mail.
My tour in Paris was divided between the Hotel Littre & the Protocol Office at Orly Field. PCS'd in March 1964.
Hunter Vaught

Papillion, NE

#2863 Aug 16, 2013
Minxy wrote:
My father was stationed in France when I was 4-5 yrs old. We joined in about May 1966. We weren't there long before the bases were all closed & we went to Germany for the remainder of his tour. I have some memories of our time in base housing however I'm not sure of where exactly we were. I recall my mother mentioning Vietri? or something similar - possibly close to Paris but I have no way to verify that name - plus my mother wasn't very good with place names or pronunciations. At the time my father was a dental hygienist - perhaps that will help someone identify where he might have been stationed.
"Grigny" perhaps?

Since: Jul 13

Eatontown, NJ

#2864 Aug 16, 2013
Hunter Vaught wrote:
<quoted text>
"Grigny" perhaps?
Or perhaps Vitry-sur-Seine.
Gail Williams

Bowie, MD

#2865 Aug 16, 2013
My family lived in "base" house at Grigny from when it first opened, sometime in '56, to '60. My husband and I just recently went back to Paris/Fontainebleau for 2 months and we took the train to Grigny and rode bicycles all around the area and down into Viry Chatillon. What great memories! The three lakes at the bottom of hill are still beautiful. And I love what the French people have done with the duplexes we lived in. My father, Harold "Hal" Marshall, was stationed at Orly and I went to school on base 5th, 6th and 7th. I was so mad at my parents for making me leave. And I go back every chance I get.

Houston, TX

#2866 Aug 16, 2013
Bill Ferris wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Jim, this is the 2nd time I've tried to answer your note. Hope this one goes though. As answered in other notes, the gym was behind the Post Hospital. I spent many hours there , working & working out with the weights. I also played some basketball there & I did at times coach some dependent kids in basketball. Maybe you were one of those kids. I was also the Babe Ruth baseball coach for the dep kids team in 1964. I enjoyed the picture of the post. It brought back many nice moments. I arrived in Fontainbleau in Oct 1963 & left in Oct 1964. I was 18 when I arrived & 20 when I left. Those two years were a great education for an 18 year old kid from Bucksport, Maine. I have many great memories of Paris. If I had been older, I would have spent less time in the bars ( The LaBohme) and more time taking pictures. But I can remember those years as though it was yesterday. Take care. Bill Ferris
Thanks Bill - at 10 years old in January 1965 I had never played organized ball of any kind. My Mom asked if I wanted to play basketball with other boys and I said "sure" she drove me to the gym and left. All I can remember is RUNNING, running back and forth on the court, running "horses". When it was over I went outside got in the car and told my Mom, "I don't ever want to go back". While I did play basesball the next two summers, I didn't try to play hoops again for 3 mores years. I hope you weren't responsible for that.:)
Ann

Davis, CA

#2867 Aug 19, 2013
Eric-John GUINT wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Jim
Regards
E.J Guint
Bonjour Eric,
I remember the gym was somewhere on the other side of the street where the NOC club was. Near the Hospital because that is where we went since the school did not have a gym.
Comment allez vous et la famille?
Ann Picheloup

Houston, TX

#2868 Aug 19, 2013
nancy wrote:
I went to Fontaineblau for 4th - 6th grades.
4th Mrs. McAllister
5th Mrs. Bednarski
6th had two teachers and not sure of their names but William and Reimers seem like they may be right
I remember Paul LeBrun and actually meet him in Germany when I was teaching for DODDS. He was there.
I do not remeber his name but we had a choir teacher and I remember learning and singing Christmas songs for a program (all in different languages)
I lived in the International Apartments across from the slaughter house. Remember going to the movies on base and my parents bowled.
Hello Nancy,

I too lived in Fontainebleau & I attended school on Post:

1964/65 - 4th grade (Miss Gallahan, American
1965/66 - 5th grade (Mrs. Hanks, British)
1966/67 - 6th grade (Mrs Reimers, American)

I also remember a choir program outside in front of the school.

What years were you in Fontainebleau?

Were you in Girl Scouts?
I remember a Boy Scout/Girl Scout dance at the Teen Club.

I also remember a French Teacher - Madame Gableau??

I would love to here if we may have been in Fontainebleau at the same time.

Jim

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cerritos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Westminster Orphans gang 15st 36 min Westminster15st 12
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 37 min Chosen Traveler 32,607
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 4 hr Davis 6,873
Shooting on woodridge (Sep '08) 7 hr Lmp 34
News Heroin Highway - Map of heroin traffic in Santa... (May '10) Tue Tourist in Anaheim 26
Maywood locos are crazy!!!!! (Nov '09) Mon BIG SLOPPY FLOPPY... 27
News Gang member gets 40 to life for shooting father... (Apr '10) Dec 5 Esbp 359

Cerritos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cerritos Mortgages