people in military bases in France in...
Michele Chesley

Allentown, PA

#2786 Jul 4, 2013
Happy Birthday America. Land of the free, home of the brave. Heartfelt thanks to all who serve to keep us safe.
PatEucom

Versailles, KY

#2787 Jul 4, 2013
joe m wrote:
thank you frawley becker. I wanted to respond but you said it best.
Thank you Mr.Becker.You listed very valid points and facts.I have been guilty of fifty plus years of dislike of the French. It centers around De Gaulle, WWll and the way our troops were kicked out of France in the 1960's.I am even guilty of saying that the "white flag of surrender" is the National flag of France.I suppose I need to re-evaluate my thoughts as so much of America's History is meshed with France. I live in an area that pays honor to General Lafayette. Lexington ,Kentucky which is in Fayette County is 12 miles away. I live in Versailles,Ky. and even live on Marsailles Rd! Paris,Ky is also nearby.I amsurrounded by the French influence. I guess my bad feelings come from the many times I saw "American..Go Home!"on walls and buildings or when I was spat upon or ,even more heartache , when I went to Normandy and saw the rows of crosses and Stars of David.The French have added much to the medical, artistic and culinary world but those things don't claim lives like WAR!! The places like Normandy,Vedun and the many fields of battle where so many Americans gave their all stand bold in my heart and mind. I will ponder some more. Bon!! Je ne sais pais..Merci, Mr.Becker
Tracey Alfaro

Charles Town, WV

#2789 Jul 5, 2013
From 1963 to 1966, I visited with the parents the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area many times for a family vacation. We always stayed at the Green Arrow Inn which was a military base, hospital and hotel. Does anyone know if the buildings still exist? If so, are they accessible by non-military personnel? I am planning a trip to Germany in September/October and would love to visit.
joe m

Rochester, MN

#2790 Jul 5, 2013
"truth hurts" france never said they could lead the world, and today I don't think any country could. please tell us when and where you served in france in the sixties..........lol
Gene Walsh

Eatontown, NJ

#2791 Jul 5, 2013
Fellow members of this forum---Please do not make any further replies to "tooth hurts." It will only serve to encourage him/her to continue with more nonsense.
tom

Upland, CA

#2792 Jul 6, 2013
this is an interesting site - I arrived in Orleans in 1964 - us army - transferred to camp de loge in 1965 - first night there I drove into paris and to the officers club on rue marbeuf - met an English girl - later I transferred to the finance office in paris and eventually was one of the last us army to leave france - oh that English girl?- I took her with me - to Heidelberg - then milw - then laguna bch - some great times - some great memories.
Martine Dernoncourt

Saint-maurice-la-clouère, France

#2793 Jul 9, 2013
Hello to all of you. Just spent three weeks in the USA in July (New York, New Rochelle), Taylors (Next to Greenville, South Carolina), New Richmond (near to Cincinnatti, Ohio), and one week in Canada. It was my sixth trip to the USA...Had a wonderful time. Special "Bonjour" to the people who were stationed in La Rochelle, France, and to people who were born in Aufredi military hospital, La Rochelle, 1952 - 1958. God bless America and France too... Martine Dernoncourt, La Rochelle, France
Rebecca Reinhart

Camas, WA

#2794 Jul 13, 2013
I was born at LaChapelle Hospital in 1965, my dad was in Support services, Dwain Reinhart . Every time the Tour De France is on, I get sentimental, it's that time of year again, and here I am, looking at pics of my birth place and wishing I could travel to France.
My parents are both deceased, so I have to use my memory and pics to put the pieces together.
My mother had a young french girl who came in and helped around the house her name was Genvieve Colbert I believe. My mom use to pay her with Coffee and cigarettes that were purchased cheaply at the PX. Genvieve would take these items home to her family and they were very grateful as these items were pricey for the French!
Was this a common practice? To have help at home while stationed in France. Military life was hard on my family, especially my mother....living in hotel rooms for months at a time while waiting for housing (with 4 kids no less) But her time in France were her most fond memories of their service time.

My brothers memories of France include falling into a canal and trying to drown, when a nun in full habit dove in and saved him.

I look at pics, such a beautiful city. Your thoughts if you have visited would be appreciated!

Rebecca
bruno jaffre

Nice, France

#2795 Jul 13, 2013
John Cross wrote:
<quoted text>
Bonjour Philippe:
Je suis un améicain qui a fait son service militaire à la Braconne (Charente) entre les années 1960 jusqu'à 1963. Pendant que j'étais là je me suis marrié avec une hollandaise. Nous avons vécu à la petite ville de Montbron (en Charente). L'année passé ma femme et moi sommes rentrés à cette ville et nous avons trouvé une dame qui habitait dans la même maison de nous. Elle a maintenant 87 ans. Nous avons fait une visite au camps Braconne et avons fait quelques photos.ça esiste encore mais c'est en ruine.
Voulez-vous que je vous emmène ces photos?
John Cross (Det. A)
La Braconne 1960 - 1963
Cher John,
Puisque vous parlez bien français, Pouvez-vous demander sur le présent service quelles unités de transport étaient en activitéà La Pallice (La Rochelle) de 1963 à 1966? Il y avait chez nous à Hennebont un dépôt de matériel de l'OTAN qui avait été transporté par péniche à partir de La Pallice. J'essaye de retrouver les soldats US qui avaient intallé ce camp. Merci de votre aide.
amicalement
bruno jaffré- Cannes
Doug Wilson

Selma, OR

#2796 Jul 13, 2013
Just a word about the French citizens. I was in Transportation at Braconne from Jun 1960 to Jul 1962. I did courier runs to different posts and blue streaks to chateauroux, bus runs etc... I had a lot of opportunity to stop along the way to eat at small cafes in small towns. I was never treated with anything but kindness and respect in these places. They were ordinary people trying to raise families and make a living like everybody else. They worried about what the politicians were doing. I have had opportunity to be is some other countries too. Philippines, I travelled to several different islands there. England, Germany, Canada, Mexico... In every place I find the common people to be the same. Just trying to raise their families in peace and have a little happiness.
I hope the rest of the world is not judging the American citizen by what they see in our government.
Doug
Meriochaud James

Lyon, France

#2797 Jul 14, 2013
Doug Wilson wrote:
Just a word about the French citizens. I was in Transportation at Braconne from Jun 1960 to Jul 1962. I did courier runs to different posts and blue streaks to chateauroux, bus runs etc... I had a lot of opportunity to stop along the way to eat at small cafes in small towns. I was never treated with anything but kindness and respect in these places. They were ordinary people trying to raise families and make a living like everybody else. They worried about what the politicians were doing. I have had opportunity to be is some other countries too. Philippines, I travelled to several different islands there. England, Germany, Canada, Mexico... In every place I find the common people to be the same. Just trying to raise their families in peace and have a little happiness.
I hope the rest of the world is not judging the American citizen by what they see in our government.
Doug
A great and nice comments ! I love America !Merci beaucoup Monsieur !
Doug Wilson

Selma, OR

#2798 Jul 14, 2013
Meriochaud James wrote:
<quoted text>
A great and nice comments ! I love America !Merci beaucoup Monsieur !
vous êtes les bienvenus. J'aime les gens en français.

I used the google translator for that. I hope it came out right :)
Doug
Meriochaud James

Romans-sur-isère, France

#2799 Jul 14, 2013
Doug Wilson wrote:
<quoted text>
vous êtes les bienvenus. J'aime les gens en français.
I used the google translator for that. I hope it came out right :)
Doug
Just great ! I was a Young LN working for the U.S. Forces in Bussac-Forêts - years 1957 - 1960 /// 1963 - 1964 in Camp des Loges - and from 1970 till 2003, in Mannheim, Germany.
Doug Wilson

Selma, OR

#2800 Jul 15, 2013
Meriochaud James wrote:
<quoted text>
Just great ! I was a Young LN working for the U.S. Forces in Bussac-Forêts - years 1957 - 1960 /// 1963 - 1964 in Camp des Loges - and from 1970 till 2003, in Mannheim, Germany.
I Played football with the Bussac Broncos in 1960. I posted and Army Times picture at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/caserne_abovill... the name of the album is Braconne 1960-62
If you were at Bussac in 1960 there's a good chance we were there at the same time. Also I made several courier runs to Bussac from Braconne every month.
Doug
Fred Fernandini

Dunedin, FL

#2801 Jul 15, 2013
Riahcrd Dahl - A1C wrote:
<quoted text> I was stationed at 41 rue d'Alleray (Paris Air Mail Terminal -PAMT- APO-230) 1963-66, and worked at 32 rue Marbeuf (APO 686), also AIC of the post office at Hotel Littre. PAMT had an NCO club that served enlisted as well as officers. 5-cent Heinekens and 10-cent mixed drinks. Well patronized by transient flight officers. Would like to know if anyone has knowledge of airmen stationed at PAMT during that time period. David Chismar, for one. By the way, the unit was Detachment 2300, 7025th Air Postal Group until disbanding when deGaulle kicked us out of France in 1967.
Hi, Richard. My name is Fred Fernandini (Laboy). I was assigned to APO 230, 12th Air Postal Sq. from Oct 1960 to July 1964. Being of Hispanic background, I was known by my second last name "Laboy". I originally was assigned to the AMT, then was rotated/trained to run the 4 different post offices serving the Paris area, APO 231, then the post office at Rue Marbeauf, then at Bellmenior, then at Orly, then at Camp Deloge. I also did the train guard job, Paris/Bordeaux. But most of my time was at the AMT, running one of the dispatch sections. Then did a stint (3 month TDY) to Jidda, Saudi Arabia. Greatest time of my career. In July 1964 I was then re-assigned to Madrid AMT, until 1967. My friends in Paris: Barry Abraham, Jimmy Horne, Joe Mauro. You are right on about the NCO club...I bartendered there for a few months. Greatest club in Paris. Popular bars we used to hang out at were: "The Spanish Bar", "Le Petit Mouse", "La Boheme" all in Montparnase area. And then some near the Etoile. I bought a 62 MG Midget while I was there, which I took to Spain. I hope you receive this well, and respond so we can continue trading stories and bringing up old acquaintances. Take care. Fred
Fred Fernandini

Dunedin, FL

#2802 Jul 15, 2013
This message is for Rob Smith. Rob, what a small world! I was stationed at Paris AMT from Oct. 1960 to July 1964. I remember your father well. What a great guy!...is he still around? I worked in the AMT during the time he was there and I still have my evaluation, signed by him on 9 May 1963, and I think I worked for him while he ran the club...I was the bartender. By the way, my name is Fred Fernandini Laboy (I used the name Laboy more then). My email is fredfernandini@aol.com. Drop a line. Best regards. Fred
Hunter Vaught

Papillion, NE

#2803 Jul 16, 2013
Hotel Littre in Paris 1961-1962 - then to the Protocol Office at Orly Field 1962-1964. The top floor of Rue Tremoille had a tiny bar and I think there was a bowling alley on one of the floors. Frequented the Jamboree Bar, Spanish Bar and La Boheme. Ate many times in the restaurant at the corner of Blvd Montparnasse & Rue des Rennes.
Jane

Las Vegas, NV

#2804 Jul 16, 2013
What did J2 designate at Camp des Loges? We were stationed there from 62 - 65 and my father worked there.
PatEucom

Versailles, KY

#2806 Jul 16, 2013
Jane wrote:
What did J2 designate at Camp des Loges? We were stationed there from 62 - 65 and my father worked there.
To the best f my knowledge ,the offices at Headquarters were numbered J and then a number followed. The one I recall hearing about was J5.That was the men's latrine! When money came to us in the form of a letter from home etc.I would ask my husband where it came from and he would always say "J5". It was our joke that remained for the rest of his life..As it was a Joint Command maybe the J stood for Joint..Not sure.
alain birckel

Orléans, France

#2807 Jul 16, 2013
christiane virmont wrote:
<quoted text>
réponse : " chateauroux air station " . good luck
christiane in france
i knew mme marchesi(still in contact with her son francois who still live in france)i was in contact with many gi s as i work in a garage with 99% american GI.s...USA USA USA..and i spent 30 years in the US and going back..god bless..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cerritos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr Chosen Traveler 35,791
News Joshua Tree man jailed for fatal shooting of fr... (Apr '10) 7 hr Raydot 22
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 12 hr LMSA 11,159
La Mirada Locs Smash LMP (Jul '15) 13 hr Pico 47
Where is LMP (Mar '08) 14 hr Pico 98
News The staggering body count as California newspap... 19 hr Trash Talk 4
Yoshinoya on Alondra and Bloomfield Mar 27 Frank The Tank 2

Cerritos Jobs

Personal Finance

Cerritos Mortgages