Dave Cochran

Renton, WA

#2556 Feb 20, 2013
I was in France (57-59) and had a very good time with the French people. The small town where I worked (La Ferte Alais)had a very small communist cell that I had been warned about by the Frenchmen that I worked with. All in all I would rate my experience a 7+ on a scale of 1-10. I found it very easy to assimilate with the local townspeople and working with them on a day to day basis I had many enjoyable times.
Tom Johnson

Seymour, TX

#2557 Feb 21, 2013
tomsimons wrote:
<quoted text>
Tom, I was at Donges 1959 to 1962 and the biggest problem I had was with Algerians protesters and communist sympastizers(that's misspelt but you know what I mean) The French people were so nice and helpful. I had no problems until a few years later here in the states being spit on and being called baby killer,but the Vietnam era was rough on every one. Tom
Hi Tom,
You nailed it. I remember coming back from France in 1966 to a new world in the U.S. Men were wearing long hair and ear rings, and the music had changed drastically, as well as attitude. Then, coming home from Vietnam in 1970, I was faced by the same insane crowd as you. We were even advised to change to civilian clothes at the airport (and this was America!). I didn't, though. I stayed in uniform. I caught a Braniff flight to DFW, and I will never forget the stewardess. She seldom left my side, and made sure I had drinks and snacks all the way home. Maybe they didn't like us in California, but I was treated like a 1st class citizen on that plane ride to Texas.
tomsimons

Humble, TX

#2558 Feb 21, 2013
Tom Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Tom,
You nailed it. I remember coming back from France in 1966 to a new world in the U.S. Men were wearing long hair and ear rings, and the music had changed drastically, as well as attitude. Then, coming home from Vietnam in 1970, I was faced by the same insane crowd as you. We were even advised to change to civilian clothes at the airport (and this was America!). I didn't, though. I stayed in uniform. I caught a Braniff flight to DFW, and I will never forget the stewardess. She seldom left my side, and made sure I had drinks and snacks all the way home. Maybe they didn't like us in California, but I was treated like a 1st class citizen on that plane ride to Texas.
Tom; by 1966 I was well in to my hitch in the air force and went no where in uniform. And that was in Michigan.But even comming home from france I changed into civilian clothes. Maybe that stewardess knew something you didn't and was there watching over you so nothing happened in flight.Tom
Tom Johnson

Seymour, TX

#2559 Feb 22, 2013
tomsimons wrote:
<quoted text>
Tom; by 1966 I was well in to my hitch in the air force and went no where in uniform. And that was in Michigan.But even comming home from france I changed into civilian clothes. Maybe that stewardess knew something you didn't and was there watching over you so nothing happened in flight.Tom
Hi Tom,
Why don't you come over to our Yahoo Group. We have lots of photos, and several Air Force Members already. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/caserne_abovill... Also, my Blog is at http://pulplair.blogspot.com/ for easy contact.
Phil Tallmadge

Pawleys Island, SC

#2560 Feb 22, 2013
My twin brother and I were stationed at Ingrandes Quartermaster Depot from March 1955-Aug 1956. Anyone out there still remember those days of tarpaper huts & boardwalks??
Tom Johnson

Seymour, TX

#2561 Feb 23, 2013
Phil Tallmadge wrote:
My twin brother and I were stationed at Ingrandes Quartermaster Depot from March 1955-Aug 1956. Anyone out there still remember those days of tarpaper huts & boardwalks??
Hi Phil,
My brother-in-law was TDY to Ingrandes in the early 1950s putting those tarpaper huts up. He hated France. Guess those early days were pretty tough, but it kept him out of Korea, where the hot spot was at the time. BTW, we have lots of pictures of Ingrandes on our Yahoo Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/caserne_abovill... Come on over and join us.
Tom
PatEucom

Lexington, KY

#2562 Feb 23, 2013
Tom Johnson wrote:
Hi Pat,
In the three years I was at Poitiers (1963 to 1966), only once did a carload of Frenchmen drive by yelling "Americans Go Home!" I know some of my fellow soldiers encountered some problems, but over all, I had a wonderful time, and never really had any problems with the French. There was a protest outside the Main Gate once that I remember, but a group of French showed up who were for the Americans. I have photos of the protest on our Yahoo Group. Oh, the French did seem to hate the Polish Guards.
Tom
I did not mean to imply that France was all bad.It wasn't.I just hadn't encountered those feelings towards Americans before.We did have several serious alerts. My husband worked in Top Secret so he never discussed his job and I was given instructions and warned on what to not say or do.I was careful.. Living stateside later on, my heart really went out to our miltary during and after Vietnam.My husband had no trouble in Navy uniform traveling or otherwise.I think being on the East coast helped.Not sure. We were well liked in Spain and that was a country ran by a dictator! We were careful though and rules were rules then.I enjoy reading the many comments on this site.I encourage folks to share photos if possible.Some of us long to go back but health issues etc.prevent that.Desole..Merci beaucoup Tom.
Arleen

Absecon, NJ

#2563 Feb 23, 2013
My Dad was stationed in Poitiers between 1960 and 1964, I was 7 yrs old when we left. I have been a francophile ever since!
Tom Johnson

Seymour, TX

#2564 Feb 23, 2013
Arleen wrote:
My Dad was stationed in Poitiers between 1960 and 1964, I was 7 yrs old when we left. I have been a francophile ever since!
Hi Arleen,
Is francophile a new word (lol)? Do you remember where your dad worked? Not that I would remember him, probably. It's been too many years for this feeble mind. If you will look at the posts above, you'll see one from me with a link to our Poitiers Yahoo Group. You're welcome to come over and join. Lots of pictures of Poitiers and the Post. Did your mom and dad take pictures at the time? We're always interested in seeing more photos.
Tom Johnson

Seymour, TX

#2565 Feb 23, 2013
PatEucom wrote:
<quoted text>I did not mean to imply that France was all bad.It wasn't.I just hadn't encountered those feelings towards Americans before.We did have several serious alerts. My husband worked in Top Secret so he never discussed his job and I was given instructions and warned on what to not say or do.I was careful.. Living stateside later on, my heart really went out to our miltary during and after Vietnam.My husband had no trouble in Navy uniform traveling or otherwise.I think being on the East coast helped.Not sure. We were well liked in Spain and that was a country ran by a dictator! We were careful though and rules were rules then.I enjoy reading the many comments on this site.I encourage folks to share photos if possible.Some of us long to go back but health issues etc.prevent that.Desole..Merci beaucoup Tom.
Hi Pat,
Sure, I know you didn't. Like I said, some of my friends also had bad experiences at Poitiers. I just seldom encountered anything bad, and met many wonderful French people, so my three years were mostly positive.
Gary Richard

Hauppauge, NY

#2566 Feb 25, 2013
Teddy Lawson wrote:
I was the company clerk for the 11th Gen Dispensary from the latter part of 63 until July 65. Many memories and many photo's of Braconne and the surrounding countryside. Would love to hear from anyone who was there.Some great memories.
My Father was the manager of the NCO/EM club SFC.Clifton J. Richard
Gary
Gary Richard

Hauppauge, NY

#2567 Feb 25, 2013
my email is
wrang45@aol.com
Frawley BECKER

Van Nuys, CA

#2568 Feb 26, 2013
TO ARLENE of Absecon, NJ:

You'll have to get in the Francophile line behind me! After 4 years as a DOA civilian, I left that job at Camp des Loges and lived in Paris another 11 years. And I'd worked in Paris for 2 years before I was hired by the State Department for the HqsEUCOM job. TOTAL = 17 years! Now, in L.A., I mostly cook French food, my home has 19th Century country French antiques, and my French friends, probably the best I've ever had, occasionally come and visit me here!

Frawley BECKER
E Foubert

Toronto, Canada

#2569 Feb 27, 2013
Frawley BECKER wrote:
TO ARLENE of Absecon, NJ:
You'll have to get in the Francophile line behind me! After 4 years as a DOA civilian, I left that job at Camp des Loges and lived in Paris another 11 years. And I'd worked in Paris for 2 years before I was hired by the State Department for the HqsEUCOM job. TOTAL = 17 years! Now, in L.A., I mostly cook French food, my home has 19th Century country French antiques, and my French friends, probably the best I've ever had, occasionally come and visit me here!
Frawley BECKER
How are you Frawley? How is the book? I am looking forward to the launch.
Alan Amerault

Las Vegas, NV

#2570 Feb 28, 2013
Don Rohrbaugh wrote:
<quoted text> Emilio, i was stationed in Fontainebleau from June 1963 until Dec 1965 with the 293rd Sig. Co. I worked in the personnel pay office where the finance building was. Remember all those good lookin' French girls that worked there? I also remember some of those guys you mentioned, like Chimelecky, he was a cook from Philly. Also, Sandoval. I think he worked with supply and if I remember right he also would drive those 5 ton trucks hauling equipment out on field exercises. I have pictures in an album out at an exercise we were on in a CP tent with Clyde Duggan, Sandoval, Alan Amerault, the mail clerk whose last name is Irving, Walt Hopkins and me.If you're the guy I'm thinking of you are also in picture lying on the cot with the mess gear hanging above you're head. I also have a picture taken in the barracks you, Sandoval, and Chmielecki all decked out in your class uniforms. There are also some guys you might remember: does Paul Fratt & Carl Neel ring a bell? How about John Smith? I think he was like the CO's driver. Emilio, I hope you remember these photos and scenerios I described because I believe you're the one who I'm thinking is Emilio Perez.
Feb 28, 2013, I am Alan Amerault and I was the company clerk for the 293 Sig Co.(1963 to 1965) First Sgt Rogers was my boss.Capt Hollis was the CO. I remember Don Rohrbaugh (now), mainly because of his last name. I somehow stumbled onto this site. I also remember John Smith because I loaned him $50 & when he got back to the states he was going to pay me. Never did. Looking foward to any response from other members of the 293 Sig Co.
Alan Amerault

Las Vegas, NV

#2571 Feb 28, 2013
If anyone from the 293 Sig CO (62-65)wants to send an email to me, alan1043@aol.com. Again I was the company clerk.
Bob Gaudio

Paw Paw, MI

#2572 Feb 28, 2013
Alan Amerault wrote:
If anyone from the 293 Sig CO (62-65)wants to send an email to me, alan1043@aol.com. Again I was the company clerk.
Hi Alan! Bob Gaudio, 293rd Sig Co., 1965-1967. I remember you. Went to Germany for 90 days in '67 before shipping out to go home.
I have contact info for a few other guys in our outfit. "Smitty" the mail clerk being one of them
robert.gaudio "at" gmail.com
Eric-John GUINT

Taipei, Taiwan

#2573 Mar 1, 2013
Bob Gaudio wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Alan! Bob Gaudio, 293rd Sig Co., 1965-1967. I remember you. Went to Germany for 90 days in '67 before shipping out to go home.
I have contact info for a few other guys in our outfit. "Smitty" the mail clerk being one of them
robert.gaudio "at" gmail.com
HI Alan et Bob
Do you remember my father John R.G. GUINT
He was in Caserne LARIBOISIERE (Garrison) from 1956 till 1967
For information one of his last mission was to return the US bases in france to the french army He was helped by some polish of the labor service.
The bowling in Fontainebleau was destroyed according to french cavalry officers wishes
we stayed in France after the departure of U.S. troops in 67.
Local mentalities had changed and it was difficult, especially when your father served in the U.S. Army for 25 years. At this time many of the French were losing the memory

Brgds
Robbie Robinson

Orlando, FL

#2574 Mar 4, 2013
Bill Ferris wrote:
I was stationed at Hqs & Hqs Co, Caserne Larboisiere, SA Fountainbleau, Fr from Nov 62-Oct 64.Had some great times in Paris. Mostly at The La Boheme bar on Monparnarse. The A bar, canada Bar and Nebraska Bar on Rue Pigale. Would like to hear from anyone who was there at that time.
Bill, I started as a young Private in 1963, arriving the night President Kennedy was assassinated. Was with the 293rd Signal Company until it split and we were sent to Dreux AFB to the 246th Signal Co. Married a girl from Fontainebleau. Stayed in France until DeGaulle ran us out. Came back to USA, Ft Detrick Md. Go back as often as I can.
Robbie Robinson

Orlando, FL

#2575 Mar 4, 2013
Bill, I started as a young Private in 1963, arriving the night President Kennedy was assassinated. Was with the 293rd Signal Company until it split and we were sent to Dreux AFB to the 246th Signal Co. Married a girl from Fontainebleau. Stayed in France until DeGaulle ran us out. Came back to USA, Ft Detrick Md. Go back as often as I can.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cerritos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr tom wingo 29,642
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 3 hr Xxplosion 5,439
Building Department 6 hr Julio 9
STAGECOACH 2015 Strange Reporter 8 hr Bronco Rider 1
News How an American Became an Al Qaeda Spokesman Sat ky man 1
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) Sat El Modelos Maxim 2,522
4-24-15 at 11:42 pm Murder in 100 block of Plat... Sat Jake 1
More from around the web

Cerritos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]