people in military bases in France in...
Michael von Ascheberg

Paris, France

#2533 Feb 16, 2013
John Beard wrote:
Swallowing my 79 year-old pride--Can anyone who served in France during the 1950s, tell me where Bleriot, known affectionately as "the Big PX" was located [Street/Boundary]. I know it was on the Seine, in or near Saint Cloud [Paris suburb], on the west/left bank of the river. It may have been near the bridge, "Pont de Saint Cloud", but I can't locate it on either the Google map or satellite photo. At one time, I thought it situated on the river south of Trocadero/Effiel Tower, because the river bank there is named "Quay de Louis Bleriot", but I now know I was wrong--that location is well within the Paris city limits. I understand that the Bleriot PX was abandoned in the late 50s when a new facility, "Bel Manoir" opened. I'd appreciate any help you can give.
Look at messages 2510 and 2511.

Mike
Jim Martin

Ocala, FL

#2536 Feb 16, 2013
Joan Pillsbury wrote:
I lived in the Cite Americaine, Grigny while my Dad was working in the Radio Relay Squadron in France from 1957-1960. I have such fond memories of Grigny, Viry-Chatilon and Paris. My heart wants to visit there again, but I am afraid it will have changed.
I was in the 7th Radio Relay.(Orleans to Bordeaux) 1957 - 1960. Was your father in the 7th or th4 8th?
Jim Martin

Ocala, FL

#2537 Feb 16, 2013
I was in the 7th Radio 1957 - 1960. Was your father in the 7th or 8th?
Mike vA

Paris, France

#2538 Feb 16, 2013
Jack Jakubik wrote:
I was stationed at Brienne Le Chateau Air Base in 1962 & 1963. We had the longest runway in France, at 10,000'. We had Polish Guards as well as MPs at the only gate. I remember the Algerian Revolt against France when I first got there. They were killing each other on the streets. It ended in June of '63. Lots of great times and travel. I've been back in 2002 & 2010. Found my Air Traffic Controller, who lives in Paris. We reconnected. Meeting up in Paris next spring again. Ah the memories. Always looking for old friends. I've found around 10 who were there. I grew up in Long Beach and now live in Las Vegas. Always good to hear about the good old days.
Now to see you on this site Jack.

Mike
John Beard

Raleigh, NC

#2539 Feb 16, 2013
Michael von Ascheberg wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at messages 2510 and 2511.
Mike
Mike--I wrote #2511 after getting 2510
christiane

Grenoble, France

#2540 Feb 17, 2013
Jim Martin wrote:
I was in the 7th Radio 1957 - 1960. Was your father in the 7th or 8th?
the father of my son was in squadron 7th radio relay vierzon a side of chateauroux
did you know :JOHN EDWARD RICHARDS
tanks
Mike Moore

Manassas, VA

#2541 Feb 17, 2013
When we moved to Paris in 1966, our apartment in Petit Beauregard wasn't available for us to move in and we spent several weeks in a hotel. It was located very close to the Champs Elysees and had an old open elevator. Does anyone have any idea what the name might have been? I'm assuming that it was a standard military arranged hotel.

Thanks,

Mike
Carolan Tallerday Bradley

York, PA

#2542 Feb 17, 2013
Philippe wrote:
I'm looking for American citizens who have lived in military bases in France up to the sixties. I'd like to listen to their memories, possibly see some old pics. If I can get in touch with a sufficent amount of persons, I'd like to write a book about these specific circunstances.
Looking forward to hear from you
Sincerely,
Philippe
I lived in La Celle St. Cloud and went to PAHS from 1963-1965.If you would like to contact me ...[email protected]
Gene Walsh

Eatontown, NJ

#2543 Feb 18, 2013
Mike Moore wrote:
When we moved to Paris in 1966, our apartment in Petit Beauregard wasn't available for us to move in and we spent several weeks in a hotel. It was located very close to the Champs Elysees and had an old open elevator. Does anyone have any idea what the name might have been? I'm assuming that it was a standard military arranged hotel.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike --the only Hotel that could be considered somewhat of a standard was the Hotel Littre, it was run by the Air Force and was the Paris Aerial port of embarkation. Some of us at the Blockhouse lived in Hotels near the Champs Elysee that were accomodating to the military, ie., Hotel MacMahon, Princess Caroline, Magda to name but a few. It would help if you could identify the street, as there were and still are many hotels in that area. And at that time they all had old decrepi tiny open elevators.
Gene Gourley

Belleville, IL

#2544 Feb 18, 2013
I was station at Evrex/Fauville from 1957 to 1960. Had a good time in France until rthet started closing bases.
Frawley BECKER

Glendale, CA

#2545 Feb 18, 2013
to GENE GOURLEY

Did you know an AF enlisted man named Joe Swindle at Evreux? We used to use him at Special Services at CDL in several of our plays. He was in a musical review, "Get Happy" that started at CDL and toured the bases in 1960. He was in a comedy, Aristophanes' "Lysistrata" in 1960/1961 that played the service clubs at CDL and won Best Play in the USAREUR competion. And finally we TDY'd him to Metz for a "summer stock" session of many plays, two of which he was in. He started in the service clubs in Evreux, miming to records behind him ("The Yellow Rose of Texas" complete with cowboy hat, and Eartha Kitt's "C'est Si Bon") He was hilarious and a terrific straight actor as well. I was the Entertainment Director with Special Services at CDL.
Just wondered what happened to him.

FRAWLEY BECKER
Mike vA

Paris, France

#2546 Feb 19, 2013
John Beard wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike--I wrote #2511 after getting 2510
Sorry,

I must have been sleeping

Mike
Michael von Ascheberg

Paris, France

#2548 Feb 19, 2013
Hi, I lived in Petit Beauregard in 1966 and 1967 when I was in first grade at the American Elementary School. I'm making my first trip back since then and I'm wondering if it is possible to get to either the apartments or school by public transport. Both of my parents are gone now, so I can't ask them. I'd love to show my wife where I once lived and went to school as we visit for our 20th anniversary. Thanks for any help on whether this is possible and which stations we might need to get off. I have a good idea of where the apartments are, but I have no idea about the school. All I seem to remember is that there were some kind of train tracks next to the school.
Mike

The school you mention as the elementary school was called Shape American School. The building are still there and the school still functions, except that the school, instead of being a D.O.D. school, is now a private school called American School of Paris. The address is 41 rue Pasteur 92210 Saint Cloud. Actually, the address is misleading. Although the postal address is Saint Cloud, the school itself is located on the boundary between Saint Cloud and the Town of Garches. Of course the railroad tracks you remember are still running in the back of the school.
A few changes have occurred since the 60s, however, the high school buildings are still there. The elementary school buildings have become a French high school with little changes to the buildings and the boarding school buildings are also there.
Should you like to visit the school coming from Paris, go to Gare Saint Lazare in Paris and take the train to the town of Garches. In Garches, leave the station, turn right on the main road and walk in the direction from where the train arrived. After 500 yards, on the right, you will see the school.
Hope this help.
Enjoy yourself.
Mike
Bob Smith

Zurich, Switzerland

#2549 Feb 19, 2013
Michael von Ascheberg wrote:
Hi, I lived in Petit Beauregard in 1966 and 1967 when I was in first grade at the American Elementary School. I'm making my first trip back since then and I'm wondering if it is possible to get to either the apartments or school by public transport. Both of my parents are gone now, so I can't ask them. I'd love to show my wife where I once lived and went to school as we visit for our 20th anniversary. Thanks for any help on whether this is possible and which stations we might need to get off. I have a good idea of where the apartments are, but I have no idea about the school. All I seem to remember is that there were some kind of train tracks next to the school.
Mike
The school you mention as the elementary school was called Shape American School. The building are still there and the school still functions, except that the school, instead of being a D.O.D. school, is now a private school called American School of Paris. The address is 41 rue Pasteur 92210 Saint Cloud. Actually, the address is misleading. Although the postal address is Saint Cloud, the school itself is located on the boundary between Saint Cloud and the Town of Garches. Of course the railroad tracks you remember are still running in the back of the school.
A few changes have occurred since the 60s, however, the high school buildings are still there. The elementary school buildings have become a French high school with little changes to the buildings and the boarding school buildings are also there.
Should you like to visit the school coming from Paris, go to Gare Saint Lazare in Paris and take the train to the town of Garches. In Garches, leave the station, turn right on the main road and walk in the direction from where the train arrived. After 500 yards, on the right, you will see the school.
Hope this help.
Enjoy yourself.
Mike
I don't know if it helped the OP, but it helped ME. By using Google Maps & going to the street level, I was able to see the school where I attended 4th (Mrs Schliewe) & 5th (Mr. Derrick)grades from 61 - 63. A LONG time ago, but it looked familiar. A remember a pavilion of some sort, maybe a Gazebo, out in front of the school, in the gravel (?) playground. I also remember a paved surface to the rear, where we had gym classes & ran races. We stood in front of the school in lines with our books on the ground to save our places until we were called in. The bus ride back to Grigny was a long one...
Mike Moore

Manassas, VA

#2550 Feb 19, 2013
Gene Walsh, Thank you for the hotel clues. I don't think it was the Littre as it seems to far from the Champs. The Princess Caroline looks vaguely familiar. I wish I knew the street, but I was only 6 years old while we were there and both of my parents have passed away. We'll definitely do some exploring around there.

Michael Von Ascheburg, that is great information! Thank you. Like Bob Smith did, I used google street view and got a great idea of everything. Thank you for the great directions as well. We'll definitely try to squeeze in a trip out there.

Thanks again to both of you.
Louise C Midwood

Newburyport, MA

#2551 Feb 20, 2013
Mary Jane North Mata wrote:
<quoted text>
HI
we were stationed in France with my Dad Chuck North and mother Jean,both deceased, at camp Des Loges, lived in Petit Beaueregard which was like heaven after the trailers at Etain and Dreux,...My Dad flew in all the swings and slides there with help from many Dads. We had nothing to play on when it was 1st built and lots of kids were going into the old chateau and finding live ammunition and all kinds of stuff form the war but many were injured. Dad got the AF to authorize a cargo of swing sets etc and boxes and boxes of hula hoops. They were a sensation! We went to the movies at the English base and I can't remember it's name either..We left Paris either in 1959 or 1960 to sail home on the United States to Wright patterson. We attended Paris American schools too ( I was in the elementary, 5th grade when we left) My brother Chuck attended Paris American HS, we went to La Plage to the pool rambled aroud paris with my adventurous mother, shopped at la Prisunic...
ate those wonderful fries, viewed Yankee go home signs painted on the bank of the seine, The French were not very friendly to us . The PX was in paris..There was rioting about Algeria in downtown Paris and that caused us to be moved from school on buses with armed APs occcasionally and to be sequestered due to anti American sentiment. I have a scar on my scalp forma re ock thrown at me in the village across from petiti beauregard..We loved Europe and went on many camping trips to Italy and Spain. Went off to Holland and enjoyed it all..We spent some Christmases in Garmisch Germany. These are goofd memories.
Mary Jane North-Mata
Hi -- I lived at Petit Beauregard from about 1958 to 1961. I went to the American School in Garches, which had about 100 busses transporting us kids. I remember the week everyone pitched in to fill in the drainage ditches that ran in front of all the apartment buildings. We went to the British chapel at Camp Volouceau. My sister and I loved playing on the swing sets and see saws behind our apartment. I especially loved the tether ball sets. Mom sent my sister and I into the village (Roquencourt) to buy bread. I went back to Petit Beauregard in 1999, and it was exactly the same. I recognized those huge wrought iron gates immediately. We we invited into our old building by a very nice couple who lived in the apt just below out old one. The stairwell was just as I remembered it. They had taken down all the ivy that used to climb all over the buildings. I remember that scary old "ammo building," too. And I agree--the French were not very friendly to us kids at times. I also remember the Algerian crisis. Good memories!
Michael von Ascheberg

Paris, France

#2552 Feb 20, 2013
Mike Moore wrote:
Gene Walsh, Thank you for the hotel clues. I don't think it was the Littre as it seems to far from the Champs. The Princess Caroline looks vaguely familiar. I wish I knew the street, but I was only 6 years old while we were there and both of my parents have passed away. We'll definitely do some exploring around there.
Michael Von Ascheburg, that is great information! Thank you. Like Bob Smith did, I used google street view and got a great idea of everything. Thank you for the great directions as well. We'll definitely try to squeeze in a trip out there.
Thanks again to both of you.
You're welcome. It was very easy since I retired from the school in 2007 after working there for 34 years.

Cordially,

Michael
PatEucom

Lexington, KY

#2553 Feb 20, 2013
As I read all the posts I am left with the feeling that all was well in France back in the late 50's and for the most part it was not all bad but it wasn't all good either.Alerts happened often,
"Go Home American" graffiti was on many walls and rock throwing and spitting by the locals was not uncommon.The Americans living on the Economy were hassled and robbed often by the Algerians.It was scarey at times when our spouses had all night duty on the post(CDL).We had they saying "The Algerians hated us,the Communists hated us and the French hated everyone..even the French!!It was fun at times ..yes..but ideal? NO! I was thankful for good friends and fellow service families.I am glad I wasn't there when DeGaulle kicked out the American Forces.I am very thankful I got to visit Normandy.It was unforgetable.Should be a mandatory trip for some of the French!I did make friends with many of the people there.I respected the country,it's laws and tried hard to be the good American.I just couldn't understand the feelings for Americans back then when so much had been done to help them..
Tom Johnson

Munday, TX

#2554 Feb 20, 2013
Hi Pat,
In the three years I was at Poitiers (1963 to 1966), only once did a carload of Frenchmen drive by yelling "Americans Go Home!" I know some of my fellow soldiers encountered some problems, but over all, I had a wonderful time, and never really had any problems with the French. There was a protest outside the Main Gate once that I remember, but a group of French showed up who were for the Americans. I have photos of the protest on our Yahoo Group. Oh, the French did seem to hate the Polish Guards.
Tom
tomsimons

Humble, TX

#2555 Feb 20, 2013
Tom Johnson wrote:
Hi Pat,
In the three years I was at Poitiers (1963 to 1966), only once did a carload of Frenchmen drive by yelling "Americans Go Home!" I know some of my fellow soldiers encountered some problems, but over all, I had a wonderful time, and never really had any problems with the French. There was a protest outside the Main Gate once that I remember, but a group of French showed up who were for the Americans. I have photos of the protest on our Yahoo Group. Oh, the French did seem to hate the Polish Guards.
Tom
Tom, I was at Donges 1959 to 1962 and the biggest problem I had was with Algerians protesters and communist sympastizers(that's misspelt but you know what I mean) The French people were so nice and helpful. I had no problems until a few years later here in the states being spit on and being called baby killer,but the Vietnam era was rough on every one. Tom

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cerritos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 1 hr LM Parent 8,836
News Heroin Highway - Map of heroin traffic in Santa... (May '10) 3 hr I saw it all 60
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr They phartzs 33,181
Pathetic Wed Problem Solver 2
News Suspect in '87 Arizona murder arrested in LB (Aug '09) Wed Tom Rodgers 52
News Daddy Yankee Joins L Festival Lineup Tue Frish Yip Stap 3
Girl Who came to U.S. Illegally can't get Laid Tue Bickie Tird 2

Cerritos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cerritos Mortgages