LBUSD faces 'serious cuts' in months ...

LBUSD faces 'serious cuts' in months ahead

There are 33 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Dec 2, 2009, titled LBUSD faces 'serious cuts' in months ahead. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

The next four months will be full of difficult budget decisions for the Long Beach Unified School District, which faces the prospect of making $90 million in cuts over the next two fiscal years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Enough

Lake Elsinore, CA

#1 Dec 3, 2009
The School Board like the City Council has known for sometime (a year or two) that this was coming or else they were asleep as the state has been in a fiscal crisis. Now we need deep cuts. Wow, I knew that sometime ago.
And the cuts are much more than the recently defeated parcel tax would have brought in. Did the school administration not know this would happen before they brought out the concept of a parcel tax? Were they just looking to get some money to save their own jobs?
The School Board is either incompetent itself or needs to give the Superintendent a real "riot act" discussion for postponing this so long and being so ill prepared.
What are the class sizes in all grades and what will happen to them?
How many administrators will be laid off? Why does LBUSD need an expensive PR person? There are lots of questions to be asked. Get to work School Board and quit dawdling.
Rob

Los Alamitos, CA

#2 Dec 3, 2009
Not one mentioned cut has to do with administration costs. Totally unacceptable. All these cuts do is affect the children's education while the bureaucrats find more paperwork and get involved in more "special studies" to make themselves look busy.
sooty

Long Beach, CA

#3 Dec 3, 2009
Dear Enough,
The School Board does NOT think, let alone read or work! Chris tells 'em what he wants and they rubber stamp it. For example the VP at Hudson has NO clear teaching credential and NO admin. credential but when Chris says Thurman Ashley gets the job - Ashley gets it!(Principal Shaun Ashley and head of HRS Ruth Ashley are so proud) Don't be thinking that the elected Board will look out for the public's interest or think for themselves, they are only interested in pleasing Chris.
NONE of the administrators sipping coffee and eating grapes (really!) at the Board building will be removed, no matter how unnecessary they are to LBUSD. A "job" at the Board Building is the pre-retirement reward for principals who have Chris as their BBF. The number of people there will only grow.
Class sizes will also grow. When I started teaching in LB the sizes were: 35:1 in grades 4 and 5, 30:1 in grades 1,2, and 3, Kindergarten 32:1. Not sure about middle school but I had 42 in my grade 9 English Lit. class!
The parcel tax would have really been a drop in the bucket for the schools. Chris and the other heads of departments see only as far as their egos. The financial crisis is for the peons at the bottom of the pool, not for The Board Administrators.

agree

Fullerton, CA

#4 Dec 3, 2009
Enough wrote:
The School Board like the City Council has known for sometime (a year or two) that this was coming or else they were asleep as the state has been in a fiscal crisis. Now we need deep cuts. Wow, I knew that sometime ago.
And the cuts are much more than the recently defeated parcel tax would have brought in. Did the school administration not know this would happen before they brought out the concept of a parcel tax? Were they just looking to get some money to save their own jobs?
The School Board is either incompetent itself or needs to give the Superintendent a real "riot act" discussion for postponing this so long and being so ill prepared.
What are the class sizes in all grades and what will happen to them?
How many administrators will be laid off? Why does LBUSD need an expensive PR person? There are lots of questions to be asked. Get to work School Board and quit dawdling.
I thought the same thing when Cali voters okayed the building of a bullet train. People really are dull, pointless sheep. When you take away their credit cards, ugly children, and the Niner's, they're pretty much lost.
sooty

Long Beach, CA

#5 Dec 3, 2009
Right on Rob!
Some of those special projects (as they are called) take lots of Board Administrators, tons of paperwork, and loads of time! And they get paid the most to do the least.
Fire 50% of the people NOT working directly with kids and solve the money problem. Hold it!! The Board Admin. people trot out to a few schools once or twice a year so they can say that THEY work with students. Did you know that the Board Admin people are supposed to act as substitute teachers once a year?
LBres

Newport Beach, CA

#6 Dec 3, 2009
sooty wrote:
Dear Enough,
The School Board does NOT think, let alone read or work! Chris tells 'em what he wants and they rubber stamp it. For example the VP at Hudson has NO clear teaching credential and NO admin. credential but when Chris says Thurman Ashley gets the job - Ashley gets it!(Principal Shaun Ashley and head of HRS Ruth Ashley are so proud) Don't be thinking that the elected Board will look out for the public's interest or think for themselves, they are only interested in pleasing Chris.
NONE of the administrators sipping coffee and eating grapes (really!) at the Board building will be removed, no matter how unnecessary they are to LBUSD. A "job" at the Board Building is the pre-retirement reward for principals who have Chris as their BBF. The number of people there will only grow.

Class sizes will also grow. When I started teaching in LB the sizes were: 35:1 in grades 4 and 5, 30:1 in grades 1,2, and 3, Kindergarten 32:1. Not sure about middle school but I had 42 in my grade 9 English Lit. class!
The parcel tax would have really been a drop in the bucket for the schools. Chris and the other heads of departments see only as far as their egos. The financial crisis is for the peons at the bottom of the pool, not for The Board Administrators.
Jeopardy time!

Category: Dictionary
Answer: Thurman Ashley
Question: What is nepotism?
Marlies

Long Beach, CA

#8 Dec 3, 2009
Jobs have been cut at the board building, see the empty cubicals and offices. When the budget crisis started being talked about, LBUSD started freezing accounts and hiring. Most cuts that have been made have been kept away for the classroom.
Waahhh

Long Beach, CA

#9 Dec 3, 2009
sooty wrote:
Dear Enough,
Dear R.N.,
Would you like some cheese with that whine? Just because you've been passed up for promotions (and for good reason) doesn't mean that you need to tear someone else down and attack them personally. I don't think anyone believes that you're capable of actually making an objective, unbiased decision in the event that you were actually placed in a position of leadership. You get emotional and only look out for what is supposedly "good for teachers", rather than looking out for what is best for kids. Thurman has conducted himself with integrity, fairness and a passion for providing students with a quality education, and I am confident that his contribution will continue to be a significant one at Hudson.
Bitter

Santa Barbara, CA

#12 Dec 3, 2009
sooty wrote:
Right on Rob!
Some of those special projects (as they are called) take lots of Board Administrators, tons of paperwork, and loads of time! And they get paid the most to do the least.
Fire 50% of the people NOT working directly with kids and solve the money problem. Hold it!! The Board Admin. people trot out to a few schools once or twice a year so they can say that THEY work with students. Did you know that the Board Admin people are supposed to act as substitute teachers once a year?
Right on Sooty! I can't agree more
Besides get rid of half of the admins who are not working directly with children they should also get rid of vice principal positions. These VPs do nothing much except sitting at ISP meetings and disciplining kids once in awhile when school councelor is out. This should save the school half billions dollars.
FedUp

Honolulu, HI

#14 Dec 3, 2009
LBUSD should get rid of a lot of administration! I could not believe that one of the solutions is to add more kids to a classroom.
Tom

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Dec 3, 2009
Nancy wrote:
Save money by cutting all sports programs. The parents can put their children in organized private sports programs.
This has to be the most idiotic idea I ever heard. Do you even know how sport programs work? High school football players won't be able to find a private sport league for their players to play.

You answer says punished the children. Well, I say administration should take pay cuts before extra-curricular activities are cut.
Its your neighborhood

Torrance, CA

#16 Dec 3, 2009
How about this. Those of us with kids in private school ($$$) should NOT pay taxes for public schools since we cannot use them as they teach nothing and are gang baby sitting centers...
Dan Martinez

Long Beach, CA

#17 Dec 3, 2009
Call the President of Mexico and ask him to kick in funds to educate his citizens who are causing so much chaos and disruption of our State's Public Education system.

At least he won't think us Chumps for tolerating the disaster that is the illegal colonization of our State without even so much as a peep.
Only a parent

Cerritos, CA

#18 Dec 3, 2009
What would happen if we, as parents received a report showing which teachers at our schools have a track record of students achieving academically or at least, making academic growth? What would happen if we kept these teachers with proven track records and say bye-bye to those that have been playing school for years, blaming poverty, limited English, uninvolved parents, no money or lots of money, immigrants, etc. I, for one, would rather have my children in a classroom of 50 kids with a teacher that does the job compared to one that only talks about doing the job with fewer students. If we as parents knew the facts about our children's teachers, we could then select a classroom where all kids will achieve. People will learn and grow at different rates, so I am not just referring to Standardized assessments or classroom tests and quizzes. Are students learning,do they know more than what they knew before with a particular teacher? There has to be a way to track the success rate for our teachers over a few years. Are the students in a teacher's classroom showing growth over a set number of years to show that they are teaching and not just playing school? Five years of data should tell us. If not, why do we let that person continue? A competent and caring teacher with 50 students is better than ten students with a teacher that is not living up to their highly qualified status. A list showing who is really teaching or just playing school will easily indicate those that should stay and those that should go have that whine and cheese party that Waaaah refers to. Budget problem solved. Oh, they could play school at their party because most kids already PLAY school at home. I can remember those teachers I had that were playing school and those that truly lived up to the honor of being a teacher. Can you?
Will Power

San Pedro, CA

#19 Dec 3, 2009
"There has to be a way to track the success rate for our teachers over a few years. Are the students in a teacher's classroom showing growth over a set number of years to show that they are teaching and not just playing school? Five years of data should tell us."

How can you expect one individual teacher over 180 teaching days to have such an impact on a child that five years (and four or more) teachers later they would show huge improvement? Which tests would you use? Who would track the data? Would you hire more employees or have teachers track their own data? Who would pay for the time necessary to track the students, to print out reports and to process the data in such a way so that parents and the public would be able to easily understand it? What if a teacher is a special education teacher, a physical education teacher, a French teacher or a music teacher? Would you only fire them based on the data of the subject that they teach, or would you fire them based on any student's academic achievement? Or would certain teachers be exempt from such practices? What about Kindergarten teachers? Should they be fired if their former students perform poorly in their 4th grade tests? What if a teacher leaves their school to work at another school? What if they change grades? And wouldn't such a system create an incentive for teachers to only work at schools in areas that have more resources? Why would a teacher want to work with disadvantaged children in such a system? Wouldn't that make the rich richer and the poor poorer?
LBres

Newport Beach, CA

#20 Dec 3, 2009
Its your neighborhood wrote:
How about this. Those of us with kids in private school ($$$) should NOT pay taxes for public schools since we cannot use them as they teach nothing and are gang baby sitting centers...
Ok. So you and your kids in ka-ching($$$) private school should also NOT have to pay taxes for police protection (when you get robbed or your $$$ home is burglarized) for fire protection (when your $$$ mansion is ablaze) for road maintenance (so you can drive your $$$ vehicle), for prosecuting and keeping them "gang bang babys" in jail, for keeping your sewer line clear, for providing you potable water,and so on, and so on, and so on...
BTW, lets pull the tax exemption from your house of worship? Howzabout that? Let them pay their fair share, huh?
Take home message is you should start homeschooling, arm your kids and yourself to the teeth,never set foot outside your fortress to deal with the "unwashed," stock up plenty of food & water, and drive a tank.
That would be a survivalist! Memba Burt & Heather Gummer?
Typical of the "greed is good, I got mine, f+*k the rest of you mentality."
Amazing, that you are still a member of this 21st century American civilized society. Sounds more like the upper crust of a third world country.
Playing school

Cerritos, CA

#21 Dec 3, 2009
How many people think "Will Power," plays school at work?
Cuts Hurt

Madison, TN

#22 Dec 3, 2009
News flash to the district, many 4th and 5th grade classes are already at 35. Plus, why isn't Stanton being forthcoming about who would be the "right type" of teacher to retire. It seems they have already made plans regarding where cuts would come from but they are reluctant to share that info with the public or their employees.
Cuts Hurt

Madison, TN

#23 Dec 3, 2009
Newsflash for LBUSD, many 4th and 5th grade classes are already at 35. Plus, why isn't Stanton being forthcoming about who the "right type" of teacher is they need to retire. It sounds like the district has already made plans about their cuts but are reluctant to share that info with the public or their employees.
Dan Martinez

Long Beach, CA

#24 Dec 3, 2009
Cuts Hurt wrote:
News flash to the district, many 4th and 5th grade classes are already at 35. Plus, why isn't Stanton being forthcoming about who would be the "right type" of teacher to retire. It seems they have already made plans regarding where cuts would come from but they are reluctant to share that info with the public or their employees.
Don't pay attention to details. Long Beach has been under the yoke of total Union domination throughout our Schools decline. Stanton and others aren't accustomed to accountability for their actions.

When the TALB announced that they were backing Lewis for the open LBUSB position I for one scratched him off my list.
It's about time we had someone besides YET ANOTHER Union Hack on the School Board.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cerritos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 14 min FIFA 5,625
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 1 hr Nana 2,625
News Electrical Fire Knocks Out Power To Thousands I... 14 hr Ronald 1
Latinos Running Blacks Straight Outta Compton (Jan '13) 17 hr Luis the Doggie 126
LMP gang celebrates 31 years (Jun '08) Thu Lil sharky 1,806
that mexican gang bcc in cypress (Jan '07) Wed Desiree villarreal 74
News Running Out of Steamers: After Sale, Fullerton ... Wed dianA 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cerritos Mortgages