Judge: UVA Researcher's Emails Exempt from Disclosure - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Spor...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

A judge has rejected a conservative group's attempt to obtain a former University of Virginia climate researcher's emails.
Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Sep 23, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
George S

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 18, 2012
 

Judged:

5

3

3

UVA is opposed to equality?

Hmmm, no surprise at all.
CLK

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 18, 2012
 

Judged:

9

3

3

ENOUGH with this witch hunt, already. How is it that these folks believe in creationism but not global warming? It's the height of stupidity. I have been to the Caribbean multiple times, and each time, more and more coral has died because the water is getting warmer. Polar ice caps are melting. Is that magic? How stupid do you really have to be to not get it?!
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 18, 2012
 

Judged:

3

1

1

That laundry was just too dirty.
sunny

Callaway, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 18, 2012
 

Judged:

4

2

1

I've been perusing the ATI's website. It is, shall I say, unimpressive.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

4

1

1

CLK wrote:
ENOUGH with this witch hunt, already. How is it that these folks believe in creationism but not global warming? It's the height of stupidity. I have been to the Caribbean multiple times, and each time, more and more coral has died because the water is getting warmer. Polar ice caps are melting. Is that magic? How stupid do you really have to be to not get it?!
Think about what you posted.
.
You accuse them of believing in creationism
.
Then say they don't believe in something that is a scientific theory
.
Then you ask if it is magic
.
Not to be crass, but SRSLY?
.
What always amazes me about science doubters is that they always seem to go to doctors, as if people getting sick and dying isn't God's will, or worse; prosecute those who refuse to bring their children to witches and warlocks that have multi-colored magic beans that cure people. I also find it amazing that they have magic boxes that keeps their food and drink cold, or magic gourds that will light up a room at a flick of a switch… its devil’s work I tell you./sarcasm
Abe

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Dude wrote:
<quoted text> Think about what you posted.
.
You accuse them of believing in creationism
.
Then say they don't believe in something that is a scientific theory
.
Then you ask if it is magic
.
Not to be crass, but SRSLY?
.
What always amazes me about science doubters is that they always seem to go to doctors, as if people getting sick and dying isn't God's will, or worse; prosecute those who refuse to bring their children to witches and warlocks that have multi-colored magic beans that cure people. I also find it amazing that they have magic boxes that keeps their food and drink cold, or magic gourds that will light up a room at a flick of a switch… its devil’s work I tell you./sarcasm
you are both on the same side...and I agree with both of you.
The only people debating global warming are those with this bizarre religious/political desire to deny that it is happening. What I don't understand is WHY they have focused on this issue in particular. If they were truly religious, I would expect them to be more concerned about destroying "the heavens and the earth" that God provided for us. This makes me think that the people espousing this anti-environment viewpoint are actually the opposite of believers...
2 Corinthians 11:14
"...for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness."
Wilbur

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

7

5

5

Why on earth should 'scholarly research'(or lies) be protected when my own tax dollars fund these extravagant research projects? Professors should be held accountable for fiscal responsibilities of taxpayer dollars and not knowingly produce false findings.

There is a reason these emails are being kept hidden.
Conservative Townie

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

5

5

4

How come every single e-mail related to Terri Sullivan's firing was subject to freedom of information requests, but the e-mails of a former UVa employee are not?

Oh, wait, reading all of the rector's e-mails and printing them in the Washington Post and the Cavalier Daily was good, because we didn't like her and what she did; but refusing to release Mann's e-mails for publication is good, because he is sooooo picked upon. Do I have that right? What a crock!
Pat

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

6

5

4

heh wrote:
take that, cooch
Hmmm... heh only believes in open government and full disclosure and transparency when it suits his purpose. Where does it say that in the Virginia Freedom of Information Act heh?
Roger

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

4

3

2

Why were they ruled exempt?
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

3

heh wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the article. The judge ruled them exempt. Do you believe in breaking the law?
Do you believe in giving some different rules than others? What should a researcher's information be exempt if it is funded by tax dollars?

Regardless of your views on global warming, this reeks of UVA putting the pressure on a judge to protect their own.
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Roger wrote:
Why were they ruled exempt?
UVA contends that having to disclose all data squelches creativity and the researchers ability to pursue said research. Or basically, it's none of our business despite paying for it.
hipoint

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Did this judge formerly attend uva?
Joseph Smith

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

5

4

2

Duh, I don' believe in climate change. I perfer to send all my moneys to the oil sheiks in the Middlin' East rather than develop fossil fuel alternatives here in America. Jesus, Rush, and the NRA done tol' me that coal and oil are patriotic-like and the Saudis is our bestest friends. So if'n scientific data don't conform to my preconceived (pre-programmed from Fox News) views, them scientists must not love the Constitution that Jesus wrote for us!

Furthermore, my tax moneys should be kept out of them scary liberal colleges, and I think I personally an emtitled to walk right in thar' and have a looky-see at whatever them pinkos is up to.

Science shore is scary!
hipoint

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Joseph Smith wrote:
Duh, I don' believe in climate change. I perfer to send all my moneys to the oil sheiks in the Middlin' East rather than develop fossil fuel alternatives here in America. Jesus, Rush, and the NRA done tol' me that coal and oil are patriotic-like and the Saudis is our bestest friends. So if'n scientific data don't conform to my preconceived (pre-programmed from Fox News) views, them scientists must not love the Constitution that Jesus wrote for us!
Furthermore, my tax moneys should be kept out of them scary liberal colleges, and I think I personally an emtitled to walk right in thar' and have a looky-see at whatever them pinkos is up to.
Science shore is scary!
Sounds like a liberal is in the crowd!
Pat

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

heh wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the article. The judge ruled them exempt. Do you believe in breaking the law?
Regardless of what he ruled you're cheering it. The spirit of the law is open disclosure by government bodies. Something you only approve of when it suits your purpose apparently.
Breaking what law heh? UVa would not be breaking the law if they disclosed the material.
buyerbeware

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Sep 19, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

heh wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the article. The judge ruled them exempt. Do you believe in breaking the law?
The judge overstepped his bounds...
not a libtard

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Sep 19, 2012
 
heh wrote:
take that, cooch
heh you sir are a fool!!
you seem to play both sides of the fence on here!!
just like you play with honda civic-- i guess which one of you is on top tonight?
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Sep 19, 2012
 
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I see it the other way around as reeking of pressure put upon by an attorney general with a political agenda.
And yes, I'd meet out rules differently depending on the circumstances.
Mann put it best
"Fossil fuel industry front groups like the one (“ATI”) behind this latest lawsuit, seek to intimidate and harass climate scientists whose findings are inconvenient to well-heeled vested interests whose bidding these groups are doing,”
http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article/2012/09/...
Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, there is a lot of controversy and supposition related to the theory. Is the climate changing? Yes. Can they say for sure why? No. Has the world's climate been in a state of flux always? Yes.

Perhaps they are trying to be sure the research is not simply skewed to prove a certain result?

If there is nothing to hide, why the secrecy?
Pat

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Sep 19, 2012
 
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
Forcing them against a judges order would break the law.
Where did I write that I "approve" anyway?
I don't approve when the law can be manipulated for nefarious purposes. Voter ID law for example.
Sorry heh, there was/is no Judges order preventing UVa from voluntarily releasing the information, hence no law breaking. Sure sounded like you approved when you posted "take that cooch", actually it sounded like cheering!. With all due respect, it sure seems like the Freedom of Information Act is only worth supporting when it suits you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Centreville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Centreville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Centreville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Centreville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••