Spa World Admits It Kicked Out Transgender Woman, Says It Won't Do It Again

Mar 1, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: City Paper

Late last year, Spa World in Centreville, Va., kicked out a transgender woman - news that was first reported last week by the Fairfax Times and began spreading on social media and local news sites today.

Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Mar 7, 2013

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

All you liberals are gonna hate me for this, but here goes........." Solly, No spicka da enrish velly good! "It was just a minor misunderstanding" If you believe that, well, I've got a genuine Stradivarius for sale, cheap! Especially when they characterize Transexuals as "Sex orientated". I smell LAwsuit!
Regards, Terri

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Sorry, but since this took place in Virginia, there would be no grounds for a lawsuit, as the state does not prohibit discrimination on the basis of either gender identity or sexual orientation. Ms Suising did the one thing that was available to her, she filed a complaint with the better business bureau. When asked why this had happened to Ms Suising, the company seriously flocked up its response and made a single example of really bad judgment into an official no whatever you are policy that they are now trying to weenie their way out of with a no-speaka-da-English explanation. Now if this had happened in a state where the law prohibits such discrimination, the response by the spa to the BBB it might have been the moment to yell BINGO, but in Virginia it's nothing more than bad publicity.
sonnyboylethalst ein

Gainesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

For all those people who think this action was wrong...what would you think if I (a man) came in to your gym wearing a skirt and walked in and took a shower with you ladies in the women's locker room. After all, I could say I was a pre-surgery transgender person. If you think that's wrong, but you condemn the people in this story, you are a hypocrite.
Nelson

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

The spa rightfully kicked out the creep. Women don't want to see some dude wearing makeup and a wig whipping out his dork in the women's locker room.

Central NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

In the first place, I like to see you wear a skirt in public, without any direct reward (like, "I'll give you a million dollars if.....") Go ahead, git on down to Walmart and buy a skirt (about $15) maybe a bra too and you too can be a pre op TS! That's all it takes! Right? You would soon learn that it takes a lot of conviction to appear in public as a woman. Conviction that what you're doing is right! It's just you being you! No Haha drag acts. No monetary awards. Good possibility of getting mocked or worse. But you're convinced this is how you want to live. I doubt you could pull it off. Walk in the nearest convenience store and buy a cup of coffee! I dare you! I do it every day but I'm a transexual. So please don't annoy us with these notions about how easy it would be to........! The reason I'm condemning these people is because they Pre-Judged us by insinuating that we were there for sex and that's what we're all about.
Regards, Terri
sonnyboylethalstein wrote:
For all those people who think this action was wrong...what would you think if I (a man) came in to your gym wearing a skirt and walked in and took a shower with you ladies in the women's locker room. After all, I could say I was a pre-surgery transgender person. If you think that's wrong, but you condemn the people in this story, you are a hypocrite.

Uve

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Nelson wrote:
The spa rightfully kicked out the creep. Women don't want to see some dude wearing makeup and a wig whipping out his dork in the women's locker room.
You don't know that's what happened, I think the SPA was probably wrong, unless the guy was a total freak.'Most' women are more intelligent and civil than your giving them credit for. AND 'MOST' transgendered people have there shit together and don't look like a man in drag..

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

sonnyboylethalstein wrote:
For all those people who think this action was wrong...what would you think if I (a man) came in to your gym wearing a skirt and walked in and took a shower with you ladies in the women's locker room.........
But she isn't a man, so the comparison in't valid. She's not going to be ogling or accosting the other female guests, any more than the other female guests might be.

As for you, if you pretended to be female just so you COULD ogle the female guests, then you would have severe mental problems.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Nelson wrote:
Did you even READ the story?

The transgender folks I know personally are very careful NOT to worry or frighten others - they just want to live their lives in an authentic way and be allowed to do so - something we ALL want for ourselves.

That idea doesn't scare most folks, unless they are VERY insecure, themselves.
Willis

Amsterdam, Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

From the article: the popular Korean-style bathhouse made a statement to the Better Business Bureau that it doesn't allow "homosexual or transgenders," categorizing both groups as "abnormal sexual oriented customers. Sang Lee wrote, Despite the controversial issue of homosexuality and transgender, it is our policy to not accept them.

Sounds like they are a decent, moral, upstanding company to me. if only more businesses would be like them!
Willis

Amsterdam, Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

If I was relaxing in a spa and looked over and saw some big burly brute wearing makeup and a wig I would get up and leave.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Willis wrote:
If I was relaxing in a spa and looked over and saw some big burly brute wearing makeup and a wig I would get up and leave.
And that would be your prerogative, as it should be.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

If these women ever really thought about it, which side of the spa do they really want to have this woman, except for her genitals, swimming on? On theirs, where the only real inconvenience is seeing diminished male genitals not the least bit interested in them, or over with their husbands, where the interest in those genitals might overcome the hormones that diminished them in the first place?

Now if she is on the women's side of the pool and her genitals are happy to be there too, she can go swim with the men, the women are there to get away from having to see that. If it's not the kind of establishment that welcomes any sort of sexual behaviors that can pop up when folk are naked together, then behave yourself accordingly. Don't freak out and send the straight woman to the men's pool, just because she still has the penis she had been born with. There's a difference.

Central NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Are you thinking or saying that Transexuals are immoral? Go to Lynnconway.com and scroll down to Transexual women's successes and take a good look at some Transexual women who are every bit as decent as your wife, sister or mother. Don't be so quick to condemn, especially when you don't really know who and what you're writing about.
Regards, Terri
Willis wrote:
From the article: the popular Korean-style bathhouse made a statement to the Better Business Bureau that it doesn't allow "homosexual or transgenders," categorizing both groups as "abnormal sexual oriented customers. Sang Lee wrote, Despite the controversial issue of homosexuality and transgender, it is our policy to not accept them.
Sounds like they are a decent, moral, upstanding company to me. if only more businesses would be like them!
sonnyboylethalst ein

Gainesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Rick in Kansas wrote:
Don't freak out and send the straight woman to the men's pool, just because she still has the penis she had been born with. There's a difference.
What?!! That is the most jacked up statement I've ever heard!

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

fr Willis:

>If I was relaxing in a spa and looked over and saw some big burly brute wearing makeup and a wig I would get up and leave.<

Nobody's stopping you, willie boy. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

fr Willis:

>From the article: the popular Korean-style bathhouse made a statement to the Better Business Bureau that it doesn't allow "homosexual or transgenders," categorizing both groups as "abnormal sexual oriented customers. Sang Lee wrote, Despite the controversial issue of homosexuality and transgender, it is our policy to not accept them.
Sounds like they are a decent, moral, upstanding company to me. if only more businesses would be like them!<

Let them open their backyard to family and friends. What they did was ILLEGAL, as it is a public business.
alexandra franciska

Oakville, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

i would like to say. as second english speaker, and someone who speak many languages, that he knows what he has said.

trust me, there is hardly ever room for misunderstanding. it seem to me, to be hired at job in north amerika, you need to speak basic english.

when i learned basic english, i would not how to say "sorry, we do not accept homosexual and transsexual here" and "we do not allow sexual activity in side spa".

it is such bad argument. but i guess, that they think that amerikans will not notice, because they often do not learn more than one language. also, because people are always afraid... to talk bad about people from other country. especially if they are african, asian, or so on.

but i am telling you. it is bull shit. bika szar! lol :)
alexandra franciska

Oakville, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Willis wrote:
netjes gedaan&#65279;, willis. bestaan er ook flink wat misverstanden over mensen die voelen dat ze in een verkeerd lichaam leven... zo is er een verschil tussen een transgender of een transseksueel.

is het onmogelijk om het verschil - tussen natale vrouwelijke, en transseksueel vrouwelijke...

ik spreek geen nederlands die goed :)

you are probably not dutch, for when i was living in noord-holland province every person i met was nice and openmind. you must be from other country, an expatriate! if you are even dutch, you are probably minority thinking person.

trust me, transsexual does not look like man in makeup. i can show you picture, of many transwoman and of many nontranswoman, and i will promise you... you cannot tell difference!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Centreville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Centreville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••