Medford, Central Points offices won't be cut

Dec 27, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Oregonian

MEDFORD, Ore. - Medford and Central Point will continue to have post offices. The Southern Oregon postal workers union recently expressed dismay over plans to consolidate Jackson County's two largest post offices.

Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Apr 10, 2010
On The Dole

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2009

The US Postal Service is a ClusterFu*k!
I've had to go to "direct deposit," AND "on-line bill pay", because these morons can't deliver the mail on sunny days.
We've been at the same address for over 30 years, without problems, but within the past two years, its been a nightmare.
And, you want the federal government to control your health care?
local mail carrier

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2009

I am a mail carrier for the usps perhaps you might consider being nice. Every thing I have read that you posted is mean and negative. G I wonder why your mail carrier doesnt like you.
On The Dole

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

#1 My mail carrier doesn't have to "like" me. They have a job to do, and to perform it in a satisfactory manner.

#2 My "negative" and "mean" mannerism you complain about, is a direct result of "lost" payroll checks, "misplaced" bills, "undelivered" magazines, and payments that never made it across town. ALL of the above have repeated numerous times in the past two years.

#3 I'll be cordial when your cronnies get back their work ethics.
postal carrier

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

If your letter carrier is bad complain to the local po. DON'T decide a RANT against all carriers is appropriate. MOST LETTER CARRIERS DO THE BEST THEY CAN IN VERY DIFFICULT CONDITIONS !!! They are underpaid, overworked, and not appreciated. Your "YELLING MENTALITY" amounts to heaping more abuse on a broken system. Why not try going up the chain of command and seeing if fixing your problem is an option ???
On The Dole

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

I'm way ahead of you "postal," aka been there...done that. Guess what it got me?
Worse delivery service!

Granted, I'm in error by over-generalizing, but I take issue with the "underpaid, overworked, and under appreciated" part.
When I visit the local branch, I see seven or so windows, with just two open, and a line of customers waiting that extends out the doors. There also appears to be plenty of help in the back, but everyone looks like they are on break, strolling around with their coffee cups and chatting about everything but mail delivery.
IMO, USPS employees don't have a clue how good they have it. UPS and FEDEX should be your model, not the federal feed trough.
My accolades to businesses that are successful models, and yes, my "abuse" to systems that are not.
local mail carrier

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

obviously there is no point in discussing anything with you. But fyi We postal carriers do not sit around and drink coffee. I work from the time I get there at 6 am until I go home. I dont take a lunch break and I dont take 15 min coffee breaks. Your carrier is most likely not as bad as you say and if he or she is its most likely intentional because your such a swell person.......
On The Dole

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

"local," I'm sure you're the working model for others to emulate.
However, your condescension of me, instead of the "bad apples," is exactly why the system is broken, and won't get fixed until it implodes!
You're also correct, debate is senseless when your biased idealogy clouds the plain facts.
Anyway, have a Happy New Year!
postal carrier

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

I'm actually a retired carrier that hopes the system implodes. The masses of coffee drinkers watching the lines are undoubtedly BOSSES !!! Under the contract they can't do craft work and realistically if they wanted to work, there's work to be done. The best bosses support and reward quality workers. The po abuses quality workers until they join the herd. I'm repeating that they are underpaid, overworked, and not appreciated. That's done to support the lying, cheating, lazy animal we fondly call postal management. When "Going Brown" and "going postal" have similar meanings we will be on the way to solving the problems and until then you're blaming the wrong people. I'd LOVE to have the pay and benefits of a UPS or Fedex delivery person, but who'd pay for all our DEAD WEIGHT ???
postal carrier

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

THIS is where the sh*t hits the fan...POSTAL SERVICE RESPONSIBLE FOR DRUG DELIVERY IN CASE OF BIO-ATTACK !!! To bad nobody important knows how poorly the po is prepared for this. On the brighter side, when it results in total failure, hopefully the appropriate postal managers will have to answer for the failure....
Sophie

Grants Pass, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

I agree that postal workers are underpaid and under-appreciated. They stand long hours, put up with all kinds of MORONS in the PUBLIC like people who can't decide what type of frrkn picture they want on their stamps and hold up the whole line while trying to decide (like it's really all that important), and put up with complainers like Dole all day long, day after day.

I have been amazed my whole life how few pieces of my mail have gotten lost or mis-delivered (and I'm 57), especially in comparison to the zillions of things mailed around the country/world every day. Errors are inevitable, but I think they do a pretty dayum good job overall. I know I wouldn't want their duties!!

And uppper management nearly everywhere is ... ummm...pretty much worthless. It's the worker bees who make it all happen!

Direct deposit and online bill paying is better for the environment anyhow...less paper waste. So be glad you at least have that option nowadays...not that many years ago you wouldn't have. Dole, your arrogance is not attractive and if I were your carrier, I'd "lose" your mail too. Treat others like you'd want to be treated and it's amazing what the results can be! My family has always left a holiday tip or small gift for the mail person and the garbage crew. We have delightful service!
Peace n Play

Medford, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

I have a PO box at a small town PO for about 7 years now, I have had sooo many problems with them. At first I complained but it did not fix the problem. I have something happen about 1 - 2 times per month or more. I constantly find someone elses mail in my box, I have missing mail, I have mail that has been opened by someone else after it was put in the wrong box, they closed my box once and sent my mail back, I went in and got it straightened out but they forgot to unlock my box and continued to send back my mail, I've been in to check my mail before the PO side actually opens and heard the sorters behind the PO boxes farting and belching, GROSS! Lately I've been wondering why I thought this would be better than recieving mail at my home box. It would probably be more secure coming to my home. What does the postal carrier from WA have to say about this?
On The Dole

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

Sophie wrote:
...My family has always left a holiday tip or small gift for the mail person and the garbage crew. We have delightful service!
So, there we have it folks...
Leave a hefty tip, and your USPS employees will do their frick'in jobs!
Thanks Sophie, you solved the problems most of us have complained about.(I bet you voted for OBAMA too!)
On The Dole

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2010

postal carrier wrote:
I'm actually a retired carrier that hopes the system implodes. The masses of coffee drinkers watching the lines are undoubtedly BOSSES !!! Under the contract they can't do craft work and realistically if they wanted to work, there's work to be done. The best bosses support and reward quality workers. The po abuses quality workers until they join the herd. I'm repeating that they are underpaid, overworked, and not appreciated. That's done to support the lying, cheating, lazy animal we fondly call postal management. When "Going Brown" and "going postal" have similar meanings we will be on the way to solving the problems and until then you're blaming the wrong people. I'd LOVE to have the pay and benefits of a UPS or Fedex delivery person, but who'd pay for all our DEAD WEIGHT ???
THANKS "postal," for telling us...like it REALLY is.
postal carrier

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2010

Peace n Play wrote:
I have a PO box at a small town PO for about 7 years now, I have had sooo many problems with them. At first I complained but it did not fix the problem. I have something happen about 1 - 2 times per month or more. I constantly find someone elses mail in my box, I have missing mail, I have mail that has been opened by someone else after it was put in the wrong box, they closed my box once and sent my mail back, I went in and got it straightened out but they forgot to unlock my box and continued to send back my mail, I've been in to check my mail before the PO side actually opens and heard the sorters behind the PO boxes farting and belching, GROSS! Lately I've been wondering why I thought this would be better than recieving mail at my home box. It would probably be more secure coming to my home. What does the postal carrier from WA have to say about this?
Probably bosses fooling around. In small stations the managers frequently do the clerk work and since it isn't officially their jobs any complaints would be attributed to the workers. Besides the letter sorting machines are perfect, so no REAL time is needed for distribution. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we don't have bad workers, but if you have problems that someone higher should be fixing then so do others and management is responsible. They choose who to harass (not manage) based on which workers are the easiest. Obviously minorities, females, and friends get the most preferential treatment (too much risk of lawsuits). After that it often comes to those who want the bosses to DO THEIR JOBS correctly. If you can explain why nothing has been done about the OBVIOUS violence problems at the po and why your few mis-sorted letters are more important then .....
Sophie

Kennewick, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2010

Dole: I didn't see your reply until now (April). Let me just say that first of all, it was NOT a HEFTY tip (unless you consider $5 hefty). And it was more a symbolic a gesture of thanks and appreciation, much like a tip to a waitperson or a or pizza delivery person, or any other person who performs a service to the public... a service that is usually underpaid and under-appreciated.

I fail to see how or why my comment regarding some thoughtfulness, generosity, kindness, or support for people who have crappy jobs dealing with the public has ANYTHING whatsover to do with my voting preferences. However....YOUR response clearly indicates Republican all over the map...self-serving, harsh, and clearly not in favor of any gesture which might give a boost to those who are underpaid, unappreciated, hard working and certainly deserving ... by the way, the garbage guy got the tip, the postal person got a little baked goodie. Sheesh. Point is: Mistakes happen, we all make them. But if we do unto others, etc. It's amazing how a good turn towards someone can really come back at you (i.e. good service), although I find am I rather hoping some minimum wager server spits in your meal next time you eat out.
postal carrier

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2010

Sophie wrote:
Dole: I didn't see your reply until now (April). Let me just say that first of all, it was NOT a HEFTY tip (unless you consider $5 hefty). And it was more a symbolic a gesture of thanks and appreciation, much like a tip to a waitperson or a or pizza delivery person, or any other person who performs a service to the public... a service that is usually underpaid and under-appreciated.
I fail to see how or why my comment regarding some thoughtfulness, generosity, kindness, or support for people who have crappy jobs dealing with the public has ANYTHING whatsover to do with my voting preferences. However....YOUR response clearly indicates Republican all over the map...self-serving, harsh, and clearly not in favor of any gesture which might give a boost to those who are underpaid, unappreciated, hard working and certainly deserving ... by the way, the garbage guy got the tip, the postal person got a little baked goodie. Sheesh. Point is: Mistakes happen, we all make them. But if we do unto others, etc. It's amazing how a good turn towards someone can really come back at you (i.e. good service), although I find am I rather hoping some minimum wager server spits in your meal next time you eat out.
YOU GO GET HIM, GIRL. Somebody had to say it. As a former carrier it wasn't the amount of the $$$ it was the thought. One of my favorite tips was a mug of hot chocolate on a cold, snowy day. Another day it was a COLD soda and sympathy, on a 90+ degree day. Our country is becoming all about what the individual ME can get. What made us great wasn't greed, but working together. Party division is our worst solution. Until we work together it won't matter how we identify ourselves. We'll all be losers.....
postal carrier

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2010

Another problem that's kind of sad. At UPS/FEDEX as you age there's always the option of moving to another job, like driving the larger trucks, so that you age won't affect your performance. At the po if you start in a job classification, then changing jobs means you lose your seniority and benefits that go with it. Simply stated- As you get older-Why carry mail door to door if you're more valuable driving semis. Post offices solution is to harass older, slower carriers which is why "GOING POSTAL" has a different meaning than"GOING BROWN". Could very well be that Doles carrier has too much route for him/her to do and management doesn't care. I know some think he/she should quit, but it's called paying your dues and we'll all age, so...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Central Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did anyone know Quinn Berry? (Feb '10) Wed Little Red Riding... 6
anyone need black Aug 19 Neverbackdown88 2
Review: Lucky Chimney & Dryer Vent Service Aug 18 Ruchian 1
joshua parker (Oct '13) Aug 18 B-Lynn 4,103
Rainwater collection case leads to jail sentenc... (Jul '12) Aug 6 watchman 3
Medford man dies in rollover accident on Old St... (Jun '13) Aug 6 klh 3
No charges: workers subdued intruder, who died Jul 28 hahaha 2

Search the Central Point Forum:
•••
•••