Pros and cons of immigration

Pros and cons of immigration

There are 3457 comments on the Scripps-Howard story from Mar 31, 2007, titled Pros and cons of immigration. In it, Scripps-Howard reports that:

“Anxieties about immigration are not easily dismissed as irrational or racist”

By SCOTT MaCKAY The Providence. via Scripps-Howard

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Scripps-Howard.

Americans Stand United

San Bernardino, CA

#3719 Feb 25, 2009
February 25, 2009
Exclusive: The Big Lie: Illegal Immigration Benefits Americans

Jim Kouri, CPP

It's been widely reported that illegal aliens comprise upwards of 27% of the U.S. prison and jail population. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection – two agencies within the Department of Homeland Security – claim in several reports that they've apprehended over 100,000 criminal aliens whose offenses go far beyond violation of immigration laws and regulations.

Sadly, only about 25% of expenses for imprisoning criminal aliens is reimbursed by the federal government to state and local governments. This creates a hardship for taxpayers in states with high incarceration rates for criminal aliens. The proponents of open borders or lax immigration enforcement always point to the benefits derived from illegal immigration such as the amount of taxes they pay into the government system. Evidence, however, exists that refutes those claims. For instance, there is an abundance of anecdotal evidence that suggests a large number of illegal aliens are paid "off-the-books" therefore those wages are not taxed.

The National Research Council has estimated that the net fiscal cost of immigration ranges from $11 billion to $22 billion per year, with most government expenditures on immigrants coming from state and local coffers, while most taxes paid by immigrants who actually do pay taxes go to the federal treasury.

The net deficit is caused by a low level of tax payments by immigrants, because they are disproportionately low-skilled and thus earn low wages, and a higher rate of consumption of government services, both because of their relative poverty and their higher fertility.
This is especially true of illegal immigration. Even though illegal aliens make little use of welfare, from which they are generally barred, the costs of illegal immigration in terms of government expenditures for education, criminal justice, and emergency medical care are significant.

Please read more at:

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publicat...
la Migre

Kansas City, MO

#3720 Feb 25, 2009
the pros and cons of illegal immigration ...

uhhh lets see...

the pros are the fbi ins and the irs

the cons are the illegal mexicans russians

all other ethnic groups that walked into this country and h1b visas that have expired

objective to remove them from the country

solution empower local pds to search detain
and arrest any suspicious immigrants
erick

United States

#3721 Mar 10, 2009
AMBER IS RIGHT.
edith

United States

#3722 Apr 21, 2009
Does illegal immigration affect your day to day lives THAT much?
Do you really think it is such a bad thing to want a better life for your family?
Yes, there are illegal immigrants who end up being criminals, but that doesn't make the majority of illegal immigrants. I really would like to see one of you who are so against illegal immigration live in the conditions that a lot of these people have lived through.
People don't leave for pleasure, they leave for necessity.
aoife

Appleton, WI

#3723 May 12, 2009
About 275,000 immigrants enter thise country each year.Only 33% of thise immigrants become legal citizens.And 25% become prison inmates. how is thise good?
durinda

Madras, OR

#3725 Aug 8, 2009
Amber Hey girl you need to go back to Histery class Our founders were not illegals they fought and died for this country and ther familys with blood sweat and tears.And not A one got any thing for FREE.What kind of A people sneaks into A country,then Boldly stands up and demands rights that they have no right to?
M-E-S

United States

#3726 Sep 29, 2009
I totally agreee with the whole house thing. It is not fair. I am hispanic BUT my family has been here LEAGALLY for years now. We do our part, and like the analogy above we "own" our own house.
All it takes is hard work, and if you do it it pays off. And whoever you are writing "dont got" you just made everyone elses point look better by not knowing english yourself.
Fabioso

Tallahassee, FL

#3727 Sep 30, 2009
durinda wrote:
Amber Hey girl you need to go back to Histery class Our founders were not illegals they fought and died for this country and ther familys with blood sweat and tears.And not A one got any thing for FREE.What kind of A people sneaks into A country,then Boldly stands up and demands rights that they have no right to?
No they were not illegals. Technically they were traitors to the Crown, which is actually worse, depending on your point of view.
Keemosabe

San Cristóbal, Venezuela

#3728 Sep 30, 2009
Are any of you Native American?
Then, stop whining; probably your ancestors took somebody’s job when they came to this “Land of Freedom”.
Do they take your jobs away?
Or just pick up the ones you dismiss?
Are you ready guys to pick tomatoes? Or to buss tables for 7 dollars an hour?
Steve

San Leandro, CA

#3729 Oct 20, 2009
M-E-S wrote:
I totally agreee with the whole house thing. It is not fair. I am hispanic BUT my family has been here LEAGALLY for years now. We do our part, and like the analogy above we "own" our own house.
All it takes is hard work, and if you do it it pays off. And whoever you are writing "dont got" you just made everyone elses point look better by not knowing english yourself.
hehehe... heheheh.. hehehe talking about "knowing english yourself".. dude, check your posting, look for mistakes, re-write it and shup ut!!!
cynthia

Chaska, MN

#3730 Mar 10, 2010
yall racist muthaeffers are stupid especially that kelli girl and everyone else yu make me laugh my ass off americans just need to step their game up like amber said what immigrants are to good so now we are stealing jobs ha yeah right! america wouldnt be the way it is if they werent here.. they build your house probably.. they do jobs no one else wants to do for a lowww wageee! stop b eing racist because like it or not immigrants are staying here.

“equality for all Malaysian”

Since: Jan 10

Miami, FL

#3731 Mar 10, 2010
Immigration is quite bad y'know
immigrants will mess up the society

“THE RUMBLE WILL BECOME A ROAR”

Since: Dec 06

United States of America

#3732 Mar 10, 2010
There is nothing "racist" about expecting our immigration laws to be enforced. There is nothing "racist" about expecting people to respect our laws just as we are expected to follow theirs if we are in their country.
There are an estimated 12 to 38 million illegal aliens (depending on who makes the report) in this country and they come from more than 47 different countries. According to the PEW Hispanic Center, only 7.2 million hold jobs and that is of the working age people excluding children and the elderly, would anyone like to tell me what the rest of them do for a living?
Let's don't forget the gang members like the 26 MS13 members arrested in Atlanta about a week ago, charged with murder, attempted murder, theft (oh, there's a living, theft).
How about those growing pot in our National forests or setting up meth houses or those selling stolen identities or smuggling drugs and more illegal aliens into the country and running prostitution houses.
For those of you who asked who would do the jobs if they were deported, who do you think did them before they came? Many of them come here with no skills and learn from others who came here with no skills so the mistakes are passed on. Just go check out some of the brick and block work in some of our newer government buildings including schools. I have.
For those of you who said my ancestors were illegal aliens, wrong again. Some were Native American including my grandmother who raised me and was full blood Cherokee. My great grandmother is on the Dawes roll. My Irish, English and German ancestors came through Ellis Island. They were quarantined and checked for disease and criminal background prior to being allowed into the USA. Those who came prior to that time, came before there were immigration laws. Those laws were put into place for a reason, do you know of a country that does not have immigration laws?
For those who would call me racist, my daughter in law is Mexican. Her family came here legally. My grandson is half Mexican. One of our best friends is from Iran, again, in this country legally. There is a lot of "Brown" skin among my family and friends and they don't consider me racist, they consider me honest.
Winston

Reidsville, NC

#3733 Mar 10, 2010
NON COMPLACENT TWINK wrote:
There is nothing "racist" about expecting our immigration laws to be enforced. There is nothing "racist" about expecting people to respect our laws just as we are expected to follow theirs if we are in their country.
There are an estimated 12 to 38 million illegal aliens (depending on who makes the report) in this country and they come from more than 47 different countries. According to the PEW Hispanic Center, only 7.2 million hold jobs and that is of the working age people excluding children and the elderly, would anyone like to tell me what the rest of them do for a living?
Let's don't forget the gang members like the 26 MS13 members arrested in Atlanta about a week ago, charged with murder, attempted murder, theft (oh, there's a living, theft).
How about those growing pot in our National forests or setting up meth houses or those selling stolen identities or smuggling drugs and more illegal aliens into the country and running prostitution houses.
For those of you who asked who would do the jobs if they were deported, who do you think did them before they came? Many of them come here with no skills and learn from others who came here with no skills so the mistakes are passed on. Just go check out some of the brick and block work in some of our newer government buildings including schools. I have.
For those of you who said my ancestors were illegal aliens, wrong again. Some were Native American including my grandmother who raised me and was full blood Cherokee. My great grandmother is on the Dawes roll. My Irish, English and German ancestors came through Ellis Island. They were quarantined and checked for disease and criminal background prior to being allowed into the USA. Those who came prior to that time, came before there were immigration laws. Those laws were put into place for a reason, do you know of a country that does not have immigration laws?
For those who would call me racist, my daughter in law is Mexican. Her family came here legally. My grandson is half Mexican. One of our best friends is from Iran, again, in this country legally. There is a lot of "Brown" skin among my family and friends and they don't consider me racist, they consider me honest.
As usual, right on target.

Great post, Twink.
proud immigrant

San Francisco, CA

#3734 May 4, 2010
Captain Nemo wrote:
Immigration is not issue. Illegal is.
IRAQ...Level it or Leavel
Don't feed the aliens.
who do you think you is to be saying that!?? we're the ones working our asses off doing what you ignorants dont dare to do!!! think you dumb! you would not be anything without us!!!
proud immigrant

San Francisco, CA

#3735 May 4, 2010
tonto! cara de sapo!

United States of America

#3736 May 4, 2010
proud immigrant wrote:
<quoted text>
who do you think you is to be saying that!?? we're the ones working our asses off doing what you ignorants dont dare to do!!! think you dumb! you would not be anything without us!!!
How in the world did the legal immigrants and their decendents in this country ever get along without you?
Let's see, we had to farm, plow, plant & harvest and for many years did it using mule power.
Build homes, from log cabins to mansions, did the framing, the electrical wiring, the plumbing, hung sheetrock, built cabinets, etc. We also built furniture to furnish those homes.
We've dug coal in Kentucky, logged in Oregon, Fished in Maine, Raised corn (tomatoes, potato's, beans, fruit trees) for food, fuel and to feed the livestock, milked the cows, made cheese, churned the butter milk and made butter, Baked bread, etc.
We've manufactured structural steel beams, fabricated metal, Cut glass and built sky scrapers.
The WalMart you love was started by Sam Walton, an American who wanted to keep America working by starting out selling American made products.
I could write you a book about the accomplishments of Americans from the dirt farmer to the banker to the congressman. Guess what, we did it all without your help!
srp29

Pawtucket, RI

#3737 May 11, 2010
touche twink!! someone sent this to me..... its great....
pass the North Korean Border Illegally you get 12 yrs hard labor. You pass the Afghan Border Illegally you get shot. You pass the American Border you get a job, Driver's license, allowance for a place to live & for food, healthcare, education. Billions of dollars spent so you can read. We carry passports in other countries or face jail time.. What The Heck??
debby

Dallas, TX

#3738 May 11, 2010
the cons outweight the pros.

United States of America

#3739 May 11, 2010
srp29 wrote:
touche twink!! someone sent this to me..... its great....
pass the North Korean Border Illegally you get 12 yrs hard labor. You pass the Afghan Border Illegally you get shot. You pass the American Border you get a job, Driver's license, allowance for a place to live & for food, healthcare, education. Billions of dollars spent so you can read. We carry passports in other countries or face jail time.. What The Heck??
It's just fact. I have ancestors who worked in all those jobs except Congressman (I don't think any of them were ever corrupt enough for that). I still live on an organic farm with my two sons and we have a tractor now instead of a mule but when I was growing up we still used a mule. We popped homegrown popcorn in the fireplace, and still do. We canned all our food for winter, we still do but now I also freeze or dehydrate some of it and we make venison jerky.
My sons do construction and metal fab but they worked for the same company and both lost their jobs the same day so they are doing remodeling, installing glass, auto painting, etc. and I do upholstery, alterations and accounting to keep things going.
I guess that is why I go ballistic when I hear people who are here illegally talk about what hard workers they are and that Americans are all lazy bums. If they were such hard workers, their country would not be in the shape it's in.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Central Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cory Freeman HIV and steroids oak hill nursing ... Oct 14 David Merrill 1
News Davol recalls Bard 3D Max MESH (Feb '09) Oct 10 Josh 12
Hospitals "No More Surprise Bills Law" Not In... Oct 8 hospitals gauging 1
Review: I Love Kickboxing - North Providence (Nov '13) Oct 7 Mholden 58
Sandra Blais Nursing Asst License Suspended 7/1... Sep 27 nursing asst thief 5
Benny's Closed By Grandchildren Howard-Arnold-... Sep 27 disappointment 1
News Firing of all teachers at RI school roils students (Mar '10) Mar '17 Bob 184

Central Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Central Falls Mortgages