R.I. school district agrees to rehire fired teachers

May 16, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KATU-TV Portland

A school district that gained the support of President Barack Obama for promoting accountability after it fired all its teachers from a struggling school announced on Sunday it had reached an agreement with the union to return all the current staffers to their jobs.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of41
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jan 07

Catawissa, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

Judged:

"Bluebonnets-Thistle " That's it, blame Bush for parents who could care less whether their kids eat, much less pass or fail. Very good thinking, pal. NOT.

There are competent and incompetent teachers, to be sure. However, the entire blame for a failing school cannot lie with the staff.As you say, the lack of parental involvement is key to some of the problems. I taught a girl who had been thrown out of the off campus vo-tech program, shoved a home ec teacher to the floor, had to be removed from a science class at the request of the parents of some of the other students, and was transferred from another class when the distraught teacher told the principal that she was going to file a grievance if this girl were not taken out of her class because she was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. She lived with her "aunt" and the only time there was any contact with Auntie was when I confiscated her blackberry because she was using it to cheat on a test. Then we saw activity.

Such students are not uncommon, disruptive, disrespectful, and sometimes a physical threat. However, the laws entitle them to a free and appropriate education and most efforts on the part of our administrators to remove them legally are shot down by the juvenile court judges. And so, we have to have two members of the local police department as "resource officers" on duty all day, every day in our schools.

Another problem is the "pile on" of unfunded mandates from the state and federal departments of education. The inclusion of some special needs students in regular classes is a travesty. In the past, there was such a thing as mainstreaming in which a special student who showed aptitude for certain subjects was placed in regular classes, and received instruction and assistance from a special ed teacher in a resource room for those areas in which he was struggling. Now, or at least in my former district, such students are dumped into whatever class has an open seat and the teachers are required to modify and adjust every activity to their needs. This would not be so difficult, but when a class of thirty contains students who are low-functioning, marginally English speaking ESL students and SED's (Socially and emotionally disturbed), NOBODY is getting a free and appropriate education.

Bureaucrats do not understand that the students of today are not the girls with the poodle skirts and blouses with Peter Pan collars and the boys in the white bucks. A failing school is failing for a cornucoppia of reasons...no parental involvement, potentially dangerous students, teachers who are required to be all things to all people and administrators who are frustrated by both the challenges of the daily voyage of the ship of school, as well as the various mandates and rules that prevent them from taking action that in the past would have seemed reasonable.

Everyone in the educational system is walking on eggs. The students know their rights and teachers know they are on the defensive. It is, in many cases, a situation in which the inmates are running the asylum.
toldyouso

Mantua, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

Judged:

If teachers that were bad were not given tenture and therefore a free ride for the rest of their teaching career then maybe, just maybe, we would see some results in school. I have filed complaint after complaint after complaint about teachers and I have been told time and time again that there is nothing the school can do because they have tenture.
And before anyone blames my child for the need for complaints. No, she isn't an angel but she has been taught to respect teachers and replies to all adults with yes maam and no maam or yes sir and no sir. She has beent aught that she is do do what a teacher tells her to do unless it is a very blatant case of not being permitted by my rules and set of values. The cause of most of my complaints is the behaviour of the other students in the class that are permitted to bully others and disrupt the class and the teachers do nothing about it. I was told that a student couldn't be suspended because it would inconvience the parent that would have to stay home and watch the child. I was told they couldn't be removed from a bus after beating up another student because it would cause a problem for the parent that would have to transport that student every day.
Teachers in NJ were not required to pay for any of thier health care or pension fund deposits. Taxpayers paid everything for their entire families, not just the teacher. Now that Christie has signed into law that they must start paying part of it, they have threatened a mass retirement. I personally hope they do it. Then we can start fresh with new teachers that will be paid based on merit and will not be given tenture automatically after 5 years.
Behaviour starts at home and if the parents don't back the teachers and the administrators then the children will run the schools and there still will be children pushed ahead to the next class because the teachers don't want to have to teach them again. My children know that if I have to go to school for a complaint, it had better be a very good reason they felt the need to disrespect an authority figure because they will be in big trouble. But, by the same token, there had better be a good reason for you complaining about my kid or there are going to be legal problems. If my child takes a swing at another kid, chances are, she has a very good reason for it and I will back her all the way because she has been taught to NEVER throw the first punch, but by God, she better make hers count and put the kid down with the first one she has to throw. We have taught our children self defense and they can and will use it if necessary to defend themselves and I will back them all the way if they feel threatened and use it.
For Justice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

Should have never hired these slugs back. There are so many incompetents in classrooms across the country, evidence comes from the morons while not all ofcourse, who are permitted to graduate high school but who are barely able to read or even write.
If it were not for the almighty teachers unions and tenure, many would have been or should have been terminated. Everytime education budjets or eliminating teaching positions comes up the teachers and their unions threaten the children, they are always used as pawns.

Most public school teachers are just over paid baby sitters !!!!
Public education has been going downhill since colleges lowered entrance and graduation requirements under Presidunce Lyndon B. Johnson and his great society. Read the Alan Bakke v. University of California Medical School Davis,Ca. Whereas a C average student was allowed to attend Medical School over Mr. Bakke who was a straight A student because he was black.

States across this country should break these unions and get rid of the deadwood and not cave in to union threats as was the case in Rhode Island.

Since: Mar 10

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

In most school districts, the teachers are no longer able to really teach. They are given scripts that they have to follow to the letter that go with the schools chosen curriculum. Give the teachers more freedom to choose how to teach their classes. Allow them to teach more than what will be on standardized testing. Kindergarteners are expected to know how to read with no instruction on social behavior. Teachers would be able to get better results if they were able to take in account each childs ways of learning. There is no-one style fits all.

Catawissa, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

Judged:

"toldyouso"
And before anyone blames my child for the need for complaints... The cause of most of my complaints is the behaviour of the other students in the class that are permitted to bully others and disrupt the class and the teachers do nothing about it. I was told that a student couldn't be suspended because it would inconvience the parent that would have to stay home and watch the child. I was told they couldn't be removed from a bus after beating up another student because it would cause a problem for the parent that would have to transport that student every day.

I rest my case. Because students have rights, and one of those is the right to a "free and appropriate" education, it is almost impossible to deal with chronically disruptive and aggressive students. There is a standard for teachers and administrators but there are no standards for students.Many feel free to say and do whatever they want. One girl told me that she was not going to do anything in my class until I learned to "respect" her. I told her that it was her choice, but she should remember that respect is something earned, not an entitlement.

Understand that there is very little that the classroom teacher can do. The administrators find themselves in a quandry because students that they attempt to expel come back with lawsuits.(One such incident occurred in my former school.)

I know about the situation in NJ and I think it is a shame. In my PA district, teachers pay the bulk of the cost for their health insurance. Every time we got a raise we lost it to the health care costs. When I retired in 2008, I was netting less than I was in 2000. I do think that, as taxpayers, we teachers should be paying at least part of the bill. Some districts in NJ agreed to freeze their wages for the requisite one year. I would have been in favor of that. Instead, many are being forced to lay off. The teachers do not realize that they will have wall to wall students and a paperwork load that will make their jobs a hundred times more difficult.

I don't really blame them, however, it appeaars that the union leadership is coerciing this recalcitrance. I am acquainted with a NJ teacher and she says that they are being told that Christie is just union busting. Unions are also about saving the jobs of the membership. We will see what happens.

I understand your frustration.
Hey

Byron, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

Judged:

the Messiah wrote:
Do you think these teachers will teach the children to listen to a Whistle Blower on an Oil Rig when he reports serious violations?
If only Obama had listened...
They will teach them about Haliburton, dick Cheney, BP...H and BP are corps located in Dubai..ne extradition, no taxes, only exist to make money...not friends or to meet standands or expectations.

They will teach them about how the US supplied money or equipment to Iraq in the 80s then went to war with Hallibuton making billions. Cheney at the helm of DC and forme halliburton chief.

Since: Dec 07

Athens, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
They will teach them about Haliburton, dick Cheney, BP...H and BP are corps located in Dubai..ne extradition, no taxes, only exist to make money...not friends or to meet standands or expectations.
They will teach them about how the US supplied money or equipment to Iraq in the 80s then went to war with Hallibuton making billions. Cheney at the helm of DC and forme halliburton chief.
We're very happy you're not a teacher.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

Judged:

no liberal teacher should ever be re hired or hired in the first place, They have ruined america's children....period

Catawissa, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

Judged:

"Vance1"no liberal teacher should ever be re hired or hired in the first place, They have ruined america's children....period

If you've read my posts over time, you would realize how conservative I am in my views. Creating the US Department of Education and then tinkering with instructional methods and curriculum has been a work in progress for at least twenty years.

I taught English for nearly thirty-five years and threw in the towel when the literature curriculum became impossibly steeped in diversity for its own sake, not for the value of the material. It no longer was about the quality of the writer or benefits in developing various skills such as critical thinking or enhancing the student's own ability in writing. The World Literature textbook was crammed with poor translations of second rate writers selected on the basis of their politcally correct messages, races or ethnicities. The old books were trashed because they were too "Eurocentric."

It is not just the revisionist view of history that we have to worry about. Material selected for literature classes is also designed to promote the prevailing political agenda. I have often said that if I had children of school age today, I would homeschool or send them to private or parochial schools.(Even if I had to sell my blood...)
Bill

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

Judged:

Jimmy Carter created the Department of Education.

elect candidates who say they will dismantle it. Let local communities run their own schools without the federalization of schools.

That IS what is coming. FEDERALIZING SCHOOLS!

There are lousy teachers and they should be casted out of the profession. There are too many unruly children who STOP the teaching momentum in the classroom. The teachers hands are tied.

Let parents select the schools they want their children to attend. Let the tax money FOLLOW the children to a school of their choice.

We have graduated too many students who need remedial help in community colleges and 4 year colleges.

That should NOT be happening. OUR government has diluted education, thrown in as many mandates with no funds that squeeze the basic fundamentals of education into too short of a time slot with not enough time on subject. It's rush, rush, rush.

Reclaim your schools, dissolve DOEducation, stop the federalization of education. Vote out democrats. They WILL NOT do that, they WANT the federalization of education.

Teachers, your unions are screwing you royally. Take control of your local boards, unions.
Bill

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

No Child Left wrote:
"toldyouso"
And before anyone blames my child for the need for complaints... The cause of most of my complaints is the behaviour of the other students in the class that are permitted to bully others and disrupt the class and the teachers do nothing about it. I was told that a student couldn't be suspended because it would inconvience the parent that would have to stay home and watch the child. I was told they couldn't be removed from a bus after beating up another student because it would cause a problem for the parent that would have to transport that student every day.
I rest my case. Because students have rights, and one of those is the right to a "free and appropriate" education, it is almost impossible to deal with chronically disruptive and aggressive students. There is a standard for teachers and administrators but there are no standards for students.Many feel free to say and do whatever they want. One girl told me that she was not going to do anything in my class until I learned to "respect" her. I told her that it was her choice, but she should remember that respect is something earned, not an entitlement.
Understand that there is very little that the classroom teacher can do. The administrators find themselves in a quandry because students that they attempt to expel come back with lawsuits.(One such incident occurred in my former school.)
I know about the situation in NJ and I think it is a shame. In my PA district, teachers pay the bulk of the cost for their health insurance. Every time we got a raise we lost it to the health care costs. When I retired in 2008, I was netting less than I was in 2000. I do think that, as taxpayers, we teachers should be paying at least part of the bill. Some districts in NJ agreed to freeze their wages for the requisite one year. I would have been in favor of that. Instead, many are being forced to lay off. The teachers do not realize that they will have wall to wall students and a paperwork load that will make their jobs a hundred times more difficult.
I don't really blame them, however, it appeaars that the union leadership is coerciing this recalcitrance. I am acquainted with a NJ teacher and she says that they are being told that Christie is just union busting. Unions are also about saving the jobs of the membership. We will see what happens.
I understand your frustration.
The same thing in Florida. There are the same stories too. THis is what your child, your grandchildren are exposed to in our schools.
Sheikh Yurboohti

Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

Judged:

carey529 wrote:
only pop psychology and political correctness have done more damaging to our country than the teachers union
Goddam teachers, teaching our kids science and reading. These kids nowadays think for themselves. No wonder they're all going to college and watching John Stewart while becoming liberal elites in the process. Kids don't need no schoolin'. They need to hunt and fish and have tons of unprotected sex, like Sarah Palin and her nice good decent All-American family. God bless the stars and bars. Yee haw and yippie kay-yay mutha f*****! Vote Republican and Obama is a Nazi Communist atheist Muslim who's responsible for everything that happened when he wasn't even in office like TARP! Woo-Hoo! I love country music, Fox News, incest, bestiality and of course: JESUS!
Barbara

Leicester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2010

Judged:

Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
And some of us are sad that you were.
Barbara

Leicester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2010

Judged:

Vance1 wrote:
no liberal teacher should ever be re hired or hired in the first place, They have ruined america's children....period
Your insanity continues.
moo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2010

Could you go back to a job that did this to you?

Man, I'd say shove it and find another place to work.

I hope that's what the teachers do also.:P

Since: Mar 10

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2010

Judged:

moo wrote:
Could you go back to a job that did this to you?
Man, I'd say shove it and find another place to work.
I hope that's what the teachers do also.:P
If they were incompetent as teachers, what makes you think that they would be competent as anything else?

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2010

Barbara wrote:
<quoted text>Your insanity continues.
NO!!
Just putting the truth out there, something you do not know how to do
Hey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2010

Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said that? LOL

read the comments of the other teachers...how they are forced to accept anything and anyone who is placed in their classrooms...schools are accepting illegals, non english speaking from around the world and expect the teachers to force them to learn to pass the tests

in my area we call the initiative No Thug Left Behind

our students are violent, dangerous gang members as we have at least 20 different gangs in our city

they are dealing, using drugs inside and outside

some come armed with machetes, guns, knives, tools...anything to harm someone..teachers, students, administrators

we have an extremely diverse population...black and hispanic gangs

we've had murderous students removed from school in handcuffs, chaged and sentenced...after murdering another student in the steets...he came to school..to continue his education

in our school district, they have sex (or something) in the corners of the building, inside and out

in our school district, they throw the new $100 textbooks out the windows onto the teachers cars

in our school if they want to steal a car, they steal the teachers' cars from the lot

in our school if tey need more money, they pick the locks of the classrooms and locked cabinets and steal the computers, phones etc belonging to the teachers or school

you wouldn't be happy in our school and there are those who are happy you are not one of their students

you wouldn't last five minutes...we've had visitors crying and screaming that had to be removed...one was found hiding under the teacher's desk

stay in Kansas

Hey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2010

Vance1 wrote:
Excuse me...we are getting these students with their personalities and ideas completely formed from the home

They refuse to do work, listen to their music, answer their phones at will

When Mom is called in, she sides with the child and theatens a lawsuit if the child is disciplined...the school backs down and the nonsense continues. Her language and demeanor is worse than her child's.

I remember a young thug who told the teacher to go F herself when she asked him to do his classwork.

Mother said the teacher was infringing on his First Amendment Right of Freedom of speech....then stood up and told the teacher to go F herself.

Yes indeed...the teachers are truly influencing the students in a negative manner!

Enlighten yourself...visit an urban school today...you just might learn something.
Hello

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2010

Judged:

Vance1 wrote:
The illegals who are overtaking our country...do you think a teacher or a hundred teachers is able to teach them citizenship skills? Or right from wrong?
As long as the politicians ALLOW the criminals to freely enter the country, your schools will be filled with the next generation of criminals. As long as our borders go unsecured, teachers will be hit, beaten and threatened just as the citizens are on the streets. Do you really believe they change their behaviors or attitudes when they are in school? Are you kidding?
They come to this country for the freebies and do as little as possible to get by. That does not change in school.
Do you know we have Mexican students connected to cartels learning how to weld so they can be expert welders when they create secret drug and money smuggling compartments in trucks, vans, etc?
That's how they learn these skills..in US schools from good US teachers. These are third and fouth generation Mexican criminal families. And you blame teachers?
Remember the 9/11 terrorists who used flight schools? The Mexicans have been learning and honing their skills in our schools for years! Teachers don't let them live in our disticts. Teachers don't transport them thoughout the entire US. Do you really think teachers want this type of criminals in their classrooms? The majority of teachers find it disgusting to be in classrooms with criminals but they have to teach the population they are given.
Teachers are not prison guards or security but often are forced to break up fights between armed and vile teen gang members, all fighting for drug territories within the school.
Unless and until you have been there, don't assume you know anything about what goes on in today's schools.
America's children? Today's students arrive from evey corner of the world and teachers dare not offend any one of them...especially the warring gangs. In this district, there are Latin Kings, Vatos Locos, Netas, Bloods, Pirus, Brims, Eastside, Northside, Southside, DDP, Surenos, Nortenos OBlock, G Block and a host of others.
We have drugs delivered directly from the Mexican border in tractor trailers hidden away in those compartments.
Then they are distibuted among the various gangs for sale in the streets and in the schools to other students for use and resale.
BTW, all of our students have or have access to handguns or larger weapons.
Auto theft is through the roof and even some of our female gang members participate in stealing our cars.
It is not unusual for a teacher who has attempted to discipline or correct a student to be harassed for the rest of the year by all other gang members.
It is also not unusual for teachers to be followed home by the same.
Our population is extremely adept with guns and bigger weapons. Even our MS 13 population will occasionally attempt to bring a machete in to school. Do you think for one minute that our teachers have ruined these Americans? Actually they are Salvadorans and members of the most vicious gang in Cemtal America.
Sometimes we even have the honor and pleasure of seeing a handgun in our classrooms! How exciting! I know a teacher who was going to be shot by an armed student because she asked him to read in class. Gee, that must have been her fault, right?
We even have students attemptng to sell bricks of pot to teachers when their cash is low. Or asking around if any teacher needs a false passport or birth certificate.
And you blame the teachers for the diverse populations we receive in our classrooms! Many are not Americans...or not from stateside America. We have Jamaicans, PRs, Domincians, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Iraqis, Yemenis, French, Germans, etc.
Yessiree, we teachers from the farm have really and truly ruined America's children. LOLOLOLOL
You are clueless about education today.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of41
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Central Falls Discussions

Search the Central Falls Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Troopers arrested Susan Ahlborg, age 40, of 50 ... (Nov '10) 14 hr Happychick67 73
Kugel Mesh Settlements (Jul '11) Mon Jerry 492
North Providence gym closes suddenly Apr 11 Suze2 1
Taylor Swift surprises sick children with five-... Apr 4 Taylor Swift 2
Davol recalls Bard 3D Max MESH (Feb '09) Apr 3 pastor yvette 7
Providence Limo Taxi Mar 30 Providence Limo Taxi 3
Do you approve of Joshua Miller as State Senator? Mar 28 Stephen Nacci 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Central Falls Jobs

•••