RI school district to fire high school teachers

Feb 13, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Connecticut Post

The plan was offered under a state mandate to fix the school, which has among Rhode Island's worst test scores and graduation rates.

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Feb 26, 2010
robert2854

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

These worthless teachers deserve to be fired, after destroying 50% ofthe youth they are hired to teach and lead into a productive society. I am sure some union will come to the teachers aid and defend them for their incompetence. The governing body of the school should also take some blame and become more stringent in their hiring practices. Maybe this why the U.S. is falling out of global favor and production.
Excuse me

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2010

I wouldn't go so far as to call the teachers worthless. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink, ad nauseum. But to expect the taxpayers to continually pay outrageous saleries, "much better than the taxpayers get" is is not sustainable. The correct measure was performed, much like Pres. Reagan's fix when the air controllers went on strike. Get rid of them, there are many that would gladly fill their vacancies. Oh, not to forget just more proof unions suck blood, killing the host!
Wow

Cashiers, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

I taught high school students for ten years in an urban district. I've been threatened with a gun from a student who did not want to read. I searched for a student with a gun in the building. I stopped fights in the classroom. I've been hit, punched, pushed and followed in the school. I've been asked to buy bricks of marijuana.

Anyone today who enters the teaching profession should be aware of these circumstances.

I've called parents who never wish to meet or discuss or parents whose phones are disconnected. I've taught gang members who have weapons and drugs....that is their main concern in the school.

I've also seen parents physically and verbally abuse their own children in grocery stores..incredible.

It appears that the responsibility of parenting has been lost on 2 generations. Society has given parents a pass and has put all of the resonsibility and blame on the teachers.

I know of no other profession that has had to shoulder the blame for all of society's ills....or to put up with such danger and violence.

School reform is a perpetual joke. Societal reform is what is truly needed.

Please stop blaming the teachers for all of the problems brought into the buildings by your student population.
Students who want to learn will learn and the hoodlums will continue to blame the system for their own deficiencies in character and motivation.
truth3417

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Goodby 2 those teachers. I dont think these dumb teachers should be in charge of any classroom. If they are not smart enough to see that collecting $78,000 from the taxpayers of a district that averages $22,000 a year and the are only working 3 quarters of a year (with all the vacations and summers off) they seem to me to only be qualified to be diggin ditches in woonsocket! good luck finding a job you morons maybee your union will help you get work...then again now that there is no dues comming from you fired teachers i dont think they will. the union will put up a small fight then drop these idiots like a hot potato!
Ted Brown

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Americans always want someone to blame.They refuse to take responsibility for own actions.
Teachers, protected by tenure, blame students.
Parents, angry and embarrassed at their own child-rearing incompetence, blame teachers.
Administrators, trying to hang on to their jobs because they don't have tenure, side with the people who hire them--school boards, who 75% of the time don't know what the hell they're doing.
This is another sad illustration of the inability of stupid, stubborn Americans to take responsibility for their actions. Everyone shares the blame here.
Which means.
The Board should resign.
And maybe a new Superintendent should be hired.
And maybe, Child Protective Services should audit the family of every failing student.
And yes, lousy teachers should be fired.
Liz

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Dr. Gallo needs to step up and take responsibility for the failure in HER school district. As an outsider, I have no agenda with The Central Falls School District whatsoever. Yet, I feel compelled to write this letter because Dr. Gallo has let HER teachers down. In Japan, head CEOs and presidents of companies step up and take the high road when problems arise. They take responsibility and try to rectify the situation. How can we teach responsibility to students when the leaders won’t take any of the blame and just pass it on to the teachers? With the economy as it is Dr. Gallo probably has HER teachers quaking in their boots. If that was her intent, well bully for her. She made her point. Now, as a RESPONSIBLE administrator, I suggest that she mend fences or bow out gracefully. Perhaps, her job should be at stake!

Puzzled and concerned in Spokane.

Lizabeth Farrell
pam210

Newnan, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

robert2854 wrote:
These worthless teachers deserve to be fired, after destroying 50% ofthe youth they are hired to teach and lead into a productive society. I am sure some union will come to the teachers aid and defend them for their incompetence. The governing body of the school should also take some blame and become more stringent in their hiring practices. Maybe this why the U.S. is falling out of global favor and production.
Are you kidding me???? How many years have you taught? Do you even know what goes on in public education? Have you ever heard the phrase that "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". Before you blast teachers you need to experience what it is like to have students who just do not want to learn. Students who probably did not receive get the skills necessary to be successful in high school. I beleive that you have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about!!!!!!!! You are the ignorant one.
Informed

Kennesaw, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2010

robert2854 wrote:
You are seriously uninformed.

This district is plagued by poverty, numerous (over 13) violent gangs, serious crime statistics, high ESL and Special Education numbers.
Drugs and weapons are no strangers to this population that has decided to destroy itself and the entire area. Is this the type of productivity you write about?

The teachers, principal and counselors are not dealing the drugs or carrying the weapons. Your children are!

It must be very easy to sit there and spew nonsense because you are so uninformed. Come to the urban high schools, work there 1 day with the violence and criminals, then describe the amount of teaching that you accomplished.

There are excellent students who are learning and will be successful while the criminals are exhibiting their productivity in their own unique manner.

Stop blaming the teachers for all of society's ills. They are interacting with the very best that you sent them from your homes. Some are exemplary young people but some are destructive, violent criminals from second generation gang families. Their parents educate them to only follow gang rule and law. Teachers cannot break those gang bonds!

If you can, have at it!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Central Falls Discussions

Search the Central Falls Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Cumberland, RI (Jan '12) Jul 17 Tugg 3
Over 2,500 without power in three RI communities Jul 8 bert 1
anyone wanna skype? (Mar '13) Jul 3 Shay 9
Kugel Mesh Settlements (Jul '11) Jun 26 South County 512
White Marrried Man for White Married Woman in RI Jun 23 Tugg 1
RI's 5 Things: Moreau freed, homelessness down Mar '14 Sean 1
Michael Riley: West Warwick Is Headed For Disaster (Jan '14) Jan '14 Michael Riley 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Central Falls Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Central Falls People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••