Can you be non-LDS in Ogden?

Can you be non-LDS in Ogden?

Posted in the Centerville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
MommaZ

Rio Rancho, NM

#1 Sep 11, 2010
Hi. My husband is thinking of taking a job in Ogden, and I am a little nervous. Granted, I haven't known that many LDS, and I certainly do not wish to offend anyone with my ignorance. However, I have heard stories of a certain amount of "intolerance" towards non LDS, or non-religious families.

I think we are a very nice family, and I make it a habit NOT to discuss religion in social situations. I don't want to live where I would be snubbed, or constantly tried to be converted!! Nor do I want my kids to feel uncomfortable. SO - could some non LDS folks in Ogden give me a snapshot of what I might expect?

Thank you.
wibauxwoman

AOL

#2 Sep 12, 2010
MommaZ wrote:
Hi. My husband is thinking of taking a job in Ogden, and I am a little nervous. Granted, I haven't known that many LDS, and I certainly do not wish to offend anyone with my ignorance. However, I have heard stories of a certain amount of "intolerance" towards non LDS, or non-religious families.
I think we are a very nice family, and I make it a habit NOT to discuss religion in social situations. I don't want to live where I would be snubbed, or constantly tried to be converted!! Nor do I want my kids to feel uncomfortable. SO - could some non LDS folks in Ogden give me a snapshot of what I might expect?
Thank you.
I am a Catholic, living in a totally LDS neighborhood. My husband and I get along with all of our neighbors, since we have lived here the longest. We have even lived next door to the Ward Bishop. Once they learn that you are not interested in their religion, most will accept you for who you are. It was not always so. When my children were growning up, the other kids in the neighborhood were not allowed to play with them because we didn't allow our kids to become too involved in the LDS kid's church activities since we have our own religion. My daughter was so miserable growing up here she refuses to move back and seldom comes for a visit. Choose your neighborhood carefully and you will be OK.
MommaZ

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Sep 12, 2010
Thank you for your post, but I am not sure how to take it. We obviously would be the NEWEST folks on the block, and I don't really know how to "choose my neighborhood carefully" in order to avoid my concerns - which sound like they may indeed be legitimate (?)...

Are there certain parts of Ogden that are better to live in if you are not LDS?
wibauxwoman

AOL

#4 Sep 12, 2010
MommaZ wrote:
Thank you for your post, but I am not sure how to take it. We obviously would be the NEWEST folks on the block, and I don't really know how to "choose my neighborhood carefully" in order to avoid my concerns - which sound like they may indeed be legitimate (?)...
Are there certain parts of Ogden that are better to live in if you are not LDS?
South Ogden, or Layton, Ut just up the road. I live in North Ogden and it can get pretty clanish.
JustMe

West Jordan, UT

#5 Sep 14, 2010
I agree. Stay away from North Ogden, very desirable place to live but also very clanish for the most part. Don't live in Ogden proper, a little less than desirable. Roy, West Haven, Riverdale, South Ogden, Layton, Washington Terrace, are pretty well balanced. However, Plain City seems to be more clanish. West Weber is good. A lot of these towns are "country towns" although just a couple outside Ogden.

My children grew up in Roy, and we loved it there. Very balanced. And there are more churches, I think, available in Roy. The important thing I found is for you kids to have their own church to attend and form friendships in. Not because the other kids are bad for your kids, but once they hit high school the differences become apparent.

My son was into Boy Scouts a lot, and the nearest troop was at an LDS ward. Thinking it wasn't a big deal as the boy scouts are suppose to be more integral, I let him attend there. But I found they combine the scouts with the youth activities of the church and he had a lot more pressure from the scouts about the church.

Good Luck! You will find Weber County one of the best places in Utah to live, as far as that type of thing goes. We are more laid back than a lot of counties in the state, and very inclusive. I don't want to post my email address but I wish there were some other way. Whatever you do....... do NOT move to Utah County (90 miles away) That is where most of your religious stigma comes from.
Jeepnut

San Diego, CA

#6 Sep 14, 2010
MommaZ wrote:
Thank you for your post, but I am not sure how to take it. We obviously would be the NEWEST folks on the block, and I don't really know how to "choose my neighborhood carefully" in order to avoid my concerns - which sound like they may indeed be legitimate (?)...
Are there certain parts of Ogden that are better to live in if you are not LDS?
OR you could do as I do and ask them questions about their religion. I have lived in Utah since 1980 and I have seen the 'love' they show non-LDS- I was fired by IHC (A Mormon founded hospital) because I am a Christian, I have had threats placed on my cars, our kids were treated unfairly in school (by other kids AND teachers). But through it all we kept the faith and asked them questions. For some real LDS questions and facts go here
http://forums.southernutah.com/forumdisplay.p...
and read anything posted by rocmonkey, that's me (I do my own research so I know it's true and I can prove it).
Trust me, if they start 'bothering' you and you ask/tell them these they will never bother you again.
MommaZ

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Sep 14, 2010
I don't want to be provocative with them at all (and I don't want them to be with me)!! I would like to live and make friends with others where religion doesn't come up in casual conversation! I think I am a friendly person, and I don't want arguments with my neighbors, or have them ostracize me because I am not LDS.

Thank you, JustMe - you made me feel a LITTLE better. Nice heads up about Scouts. My son is very interested - as is my husband. He was an Eagle Scout and would like to volunteer.

Funny, I had heard elsewhere that South Ogden was an area for me to stay away from ... Sigh.
Jeepnut

San Diego, CA

#8 Sep 14, 2010
MommaZ wrote:
I don't want to be provocative with them at all (and I don't want them to be with me)!! I would like to live and make friends with others where religion doesn't come up in casual conversation! I think I am a friendly person, and I don't want arguments with my neighbors, or have them ostracize me because I am not LDS.
Thank you, JustMe - you made me feel a LITTLE better. Nice heads up about Scouts. My son is very interested - as is my husband. He was an Eagle Scout and would like to volunteer.
Funny, I had heard elsewhere that South Ogden was an area for me to stay away from ... Sigh.
I'm sorry if I led you to believe you need to be provocative. I just meant that the LDS won't pester you once they know you know something about their beliefs. we used to have some missionaries staying at a house down the road from us (we live in St. George) and they were always trying to 'tell' us about their true religion. Once I began asking them questions (just one fyi- the LDS Church teaches God created everything but that he was a man FIRST. I simply ask, how can that be possible? What planet did God's dad live on, what did he eat, drink and breath if nothing existed until AFTER he 'progressed' from a man to a God and then created everything). That stopped them from coming around- they used other streets to bypass us.

Look, most LDS will, now days at least, try once or twice to witness to you. if you say you're not interested they will leave you alone. But most of them will also shy away from you and your family. Some won't most will. that's just the way Utah is. It's getting better than when I moved here (1980) but its still a pretty paranoid and closed-minded place.

On the bright side, Utah is a beautiful and great place to play. You have everything- Moab, Lake Powell, rivers, the desert, mountains, skiing, hiking, hunting, rafting, biking, 4wheelin' and a decent city life (up there, anyways).

So come, stay and enjoy what we do have here if for no other reason. And, hopefully, you'll meet some good folks who will help to make your social life happier, too.
MommaZ

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Sep 30, 2010
Bump.

PLEASE - I am really looking for more info. It appears we might be moving.

I am trying to be respectful; it is me who is afraid of being judged (and the impact on my kids) because we aren't LDS. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

THANKS!!!!
wibauxwoman

AOL

#10 Oct 1, 2010
MommaZ wrote:
Bump.
PLEASE - I am really looking for more info. It appears we might be moving.
I am trying to be respectful; it is me who is afraid of being judged (and the impact on my kids) because we aren't LDS. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
THANKS!!!!
Just look for housing in the South Ogden, Layton, or Roy areas. There are a lot of non-LDS people there because of Hill AFB which is located in that end of the Ogden area. Those people seem to be more accepting.
Rose

Woods Cross, UT

#11 Oct 3, 2010
MommaZ wrote:
Bump.
PLEASE - I am really looking for more info. It appears we might be moving.
I am trying to be respectful; it is me who is afraid of being judged (and the impact on my kids) because we aren't LDS. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
THANKS!!!!
I moved here in 1995 from California with my school-age children. Even though they made some friends, all three hated it and left as soon as they could. Even though I understand it is better than it used to be, it is still a very insular culture.
JustMe

Salt Lake City, UT

#12 Oct 8, 2010
I hope we didn't scare you =) I grew up here and am ex-LDS which is entirely worse than being non-LDS (as it is taught that if you deny the "true" religion you are not going to nice places when you die) I grew up here, moved away at 18 and back at 25.
You will be asked if you are LDS at some point by neighbors, generally if you tell them no, you've never been interested, and change the subject, things will be fine. Mormons are generally kind, but because it is the dominant religion, you'll get all kinds, like anywhere else.
Let me tell you the best of our area. We are more diversified than other areas. I love Weber County!! We are within 30 minutes to Olympic quality skiing, boating, camping, and hiking. We have the sand dunes maybe 3-4 hours away in Southern Utah, close enough to make it a weekend, as well as Zion National Park. Wendover, Nevada is but 1 1/2 hour from Salt Lake (2 from here) for adult play, casinos, concert venues, et. We have professional basketball team, the Jazz, as you probably know. We get big name concerts in SLC.
If your family likes hunting, we have good small game, although the deer hunt is getting harder every year. Bear Lake, ID is but an hour or two away. The desert to the west is a real fun place as well, although not many people from here appreciate it.
The local communities still have their town days, Hooper is Tomato days, Washington Terrace, Roy, all of them do their parades and little fairs. Ogden itself has a world class theater and recreation center with climbing walls, parachute simulation, etc. Downtown Ogden is an historical street with antique shops, eateries. Our public transit isn't the greatest compared to other metropolitan areas I've lived.
OH, I forgot. CLINTON is an excellent place to live, again because it's straight west of HAFB, new subdivisions, new shopping centers, etc. My daughter lives there and loves it. Religion isn't really an issue there, and she's never had anyone even mention it.
All in all, I think the positives will so outweigh any religion concerns, it's a beautiful place to live, with lots of recreation, relatively mild weather, although the summers are very dry and hot.Bring moisturizer!!! And wear sunscreen =)
And make sure to hit peach days in Brigham City, Raspberry days at Bear Lake, and "fruit row" along Highway 89 in Box Elder County.
MommaZ

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Oct 8, 2010
thanks! I keep checking to see what folks say.

still nervous, but feeling a little better!:)
Matt Polk

United States

#14 Oct 8, 2010
Ogden is probably the least Mormon city in Utah. Yeah, Mormons are a little weird, but I would much rather live in their neighborhoods than with the Southern Baptists i lived with in the South. They have a bad reputation from the outside world and from utahns who have never lived elsewhere.
JustJaimie

United States

#15 Oct 14, 2010
MommaZ wrote:
thanks! I keep checking to see what folks say.
still nervous, but feeling a little better!:)
I moved here 4 years ago from Kentucky and for the most part, everyone stays to themselves. The hardest part for me is working....I work in an office where EVERYONE is LDS and it's obvious. My work is most definately "clannish".

You'll do just fine though, you'll adapt.
Annie

Hesperia, CA

#16 Dec 31, 2010
Momma Z - Did you move to Ogden? I am in a similar situation and would love to hear about your experiences in Ogden so far.
Anonymous

United States

#17 Jan 3, 2011
My family and I moved here from MI a little over a year ago and for the most part it has not been a good experience. Our now 15 year old son has attended 3 different schools and we are already on our 2nd home. We first bought a home in Ogden on the East Bench, the best place to live in Ogden city proper. The neighborhood was not family and non LDS kid friendly. Ogden Junior High was overwhelming for our son, we from a small town in MI. We transferred him to a charter school in the heart of downtown Ogden. For reasons unknown he wasn't comfortable there either. We moved after 6 months to Taylor, Utah which is a few miles outside of Ogden. His middle school services Taylor, West Haven and possibly Roy. He has made friends who are all LDS and cannot socialize outside of school. We're hoping high school will be a different experience. I agree with the others; Roy and Layton are the best for diversity in this area.

Everyone I have met who is LDS, has been very welcoming. They don't want to socialize with me, but I can take that. It's just not the best place for a non LDS child who is still developing social skills and peer interaction in and out of school.
wibauxwoman

AOL

#18 Jan 4, 2011
BeExcellentToEachOther wrote:
My family and I moved here from MI a little over a year ago and for the most part it has not been a good experience. Our now 15 year old son has attended 3 different schools and we are already on our 2nd home. We first bought a home in Ogden on the East Bench, the best place to live in Ogden city proper. The neighborhood was not family and non LDS kid friendly. Ogden Junior High was overwhelming for our son, we from a small town in MI. We transferred him to a charter school in the heart of downtown Ogden. For reasons unknown he wasn't comfortable there either. We moved after 6 months to Taylor, Utah which is a few miles outside of Ogden. His middle school services Taylor, West Haven and possibly Roy. He has made friends who are all LDS and cannot socialize outside of school. We're hoping high school will be a different experience. I agree with the others; Roy and Layton are the best for diversity in this area.
Everyone I have met who is LDS, has been very welcoming. They don't want to socialize with me, but I can take that. It's just not the best place for a non LDS child who is still developing social skills and peer interaction in and out of school.
I agree. Two of my children were so miserable growning up here, they left as soon as they were old enough. They only come back for short visits. They won't live here.
MommaZ

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Jan 5, 2011
Annie wrote:
Momma Z - Did you move to Ogden? I am in a similar situation and would love to hear about your experiences in Ogden so far.
Actually, we didn't. I feel a little guilty because it would have been a promotion for my husband (and they really wanted him), but he declined primarily due to my concerns. Not just on this string, but also people I talked to really scared me off. I didn't want my young son to feel left out, or me to be ostracized, either! Plus, it was a long way from my family support structure. So, no moves to Utah in the near future.
Cathy

Ogden, UT

#20 Jan 5, 2011
Move to my neighborhood in Farr West. You will be loved and appreciated. Mia Meadows. I didn't like Harrisville but I love it here. I'm LDS, but I was divorced when I moved here, and wasn't happy with my reception. I moved to Farr West and love it here. My recommendation is to move in, have a party, invite all your neighbors,and you will be a hit!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Centerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Romney seeks Utah Republican Party nomination a... 13 hr anonymous 1
Cl personals shut down Apr 17 Charles 1
Bountiful, Utah Concealed Carry Class Apr 10 Ahillian 2
Utah Concealed Carry Class Feb '18 hdavenport 1
why does Ogden 13 gang call Sur 13 scraps? (Feb '12) Feb '18 WTF 100
Read About MTC Corporation on Job Corps Fraud Blog (May '10) Jun '16 deblferg58 2
News Son, dad, mom arrested in wake of bizarre Utah ... (May '16) May '16 Parden Pard 2

Centerville Jobs

Personal Finance

Centerville Mortgages