UTEP Chicano Studies program turns 40

UTEP Chicano Studies program turns 40

There are 93 comments on the El Paso Times story from Oct 19, 2010, titled UTEP Chicano Studies program turns 40. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

The Chicano Studies program at the University of Texas at El Paso was born out of conflict.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
mexcans again

Tulsa, OK

#1 Oct 19, 2010
Wow 40 years and they still haven't figured out that the tp goes in the toilet!
OneRepublic

Lewis Center, OH

#2 Oct 19, 2010
Lovely, I don't know of any educated latinos who consider themselves to be 'chicanos', and to attach their fabled version of events via the aztlan myth is as unacademic and foolish as a group of students thinking Sancho Panza was Don Quixote's 'political' advisor, if they were real historical figures, that is.
Cool Breeze

Laurel, MD

#3 Oct 19, 2010
Given the dilution of the Chicano Movement by the Illegal Alien Invasion, it may be time to refocus, redirect, and rename the subject: Lifestyles of the Poor, But Proud - may be more apropos..........
Finepix

Pflugerville, TX

#4 Oct 19, 2010
Forty years to find out as a race they are lazy and prefer to live off the government (working part of society). Put them in a pature surrounded by an electric fence and just watch them breed.
Petro

El Paso, TX

#5 Oct 19, 2010
Thats right I will be there, So if you want a piece of me come get some... I will also be in town to cast my straight Democrat vote....Plus I have a major announcement to make.
Pendejos

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Oct 19, 2010
mexcans again wrote:
Wow 40 years and they still haven't figured out that the tp goes in the toilet!
Hmmm... As opposed to you honkies being in this country 200+ years and not realizing that you shouldn't marry your cousin or date your sister to maker her jealous.
Give me a break

El Paso, TX

#7 Oct 19, 2010
Forty years and we are more divided than ever! The hate that continues to bread from such groups is nothing more than individuals lecturing the past instead of moving forward. As long as these groups exist we will never move forward and make a difference as we become irrelevant in the political process.
Pendejos

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Oct 19, 2010
Finepix wrote:
Forty years to find out as a race they are lazy and prefer to live off the government (working part of society). Put them in a pature surrounded by an electric fence and just watch them breed.
Well, it has been known for generations that you don't need a "pasture" (at least spell it right, moron), let alone a fence with honkies. Give them welfare, a double wide, some crystal meth, and their cousin to carry on thier prestigious bloodline. It is guranateed that they'll voluntarily stay put for generations. Just look at the South.
what is

Dallas, TX

#9 Oct 19, 2010
What is a "Chicano" ? most of this morons can't speak espanol properly and still want to represent the Hispanic community ???
SuperMex

El Paso, TX

#10 Oct 19, 2010
In El Paso Chicano Studies should be made mandatory in the public school system. Start teaching young Mexican children to be proud of Mexico and all that it's done for it's people.
Reality

El Paso, TX

#12 Oct 19, 2010
I took this class 28 years ago and it was one of the Best classes I ever took at UTEP.

This class opens your eyes and exposes everything that All Chicanos and / or Mexican-Americans should know about our History.

I strongly recommed these classes to any person who wants to be more Educated.

Great Job Chicano Studies - You are an Excellent Educating Organization Teaching Real History.
josephus

Chaparral, NM

#13 Oct 19, 2010
If history was taught honestly there would be no need for Chicano Studies, or African-American studides, or any specialized endeavors. But, the white establishment teaches only the accomplishments of the white race; to read a history book in the 1970's would make you think minorities didn't even exist.Not to say any race is not without faults. However, when one race is shown in glory and all others are denigrated, people won't like it. You should not like it. It is a lie we bought because we didn't know better.

If I can say my dad F'ed up, then so can you.
Mary at WNMU

Silver City, NM

#14 Oct 19, 2010
Great Job Chicano Studies - You are an Excellent Educating Organization Teaching Real History.

I took classes with Dr. Felipe Ortego and immensely enjoyed the History and relevance. The classes are recommended for any race and relevant to any person.

I was asked yesterday to make a mean comment yesterday about someone directly and I did. The person responded "Thank You". I understand better now what this person was trying to do.

For anyone who makes this an issue of racism or hate, "THANK YOU". Your ignorance, your hate, and your slurs only serve to reinforce the need for Chicano Studies.
A Young American

Silver City, NM

#15 Oct 19, 2010
@Cool Breeze: Illegal Aliens? Ah yes, we used to just call them 'white people'.

We didn't cross the border; the border crossed us.

And kudos on the name. I see you've so named yourself after the cool breeze which no doubt travels between your ears.
Nathaniel in New Mexico

Silver City, NM

#16 Oct 19, 2010
I recently attended a seminar with Dr. Ortego on Chicano literature and I found it both aesthetically enjoyable as well as philosophically enlightening. I see Chicano literature as essentially the literary cousin to Romantic literature in England during the late 18th and early 19th century. And Chicano struggle in general shares obvious parallels with that of the Irish.

Chicano literature IS American literature.
_Arrrrrrr

San Leandro, CA

#17 Oct 19, 2010
what is wrote:
What is a "Chicano" ? most of this morons can't speak espanol properly and still want to represent the Hispanic community ???
ME MOTHER $%&^!!!!! you cant even spell the word "these" you moron.
Most of these people have moved on they are in their fifties, sixties even seventies some retired some still active, the ones that cant speak any spanish are the ones from Los Angeles/Compton and they only marry white women.
mexcans

Tulsa, OK

#18 Oct 19, 2010
What is there to be proud of? Give me one invention! oh ya they made the longest tamale! LOL

“Tardy For The Party ”

Since: May 10

El Paso, TX

#19 Oct 19, 2010
Oh. Spreading racism still...

Pinchi JUTEP. No wonder that University is such a joke.
Bobby Bag O Donuts

Seminole, FL

#20 Oct 19, 2010
What a worthless waste of time money and a young person's education.

Evil is the only word I can think of for people who mislead and misguide a student into taking this fraud of a college curriculum.

BTW, I'm American of Mexican ancestry and I have multiple college degrees.
Fukt_Fanny

El Paso, TX

#21 Oct 19, 2010
A degree in Chicano Studies? That and a dime will get you hot dog at a Diablos game. Good luck, honey!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Centerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Happy Birthday, Samuel Lightnin' Hopkins, Pione... (Mar '15) Jul 23 strong 5
News Nuevo Progreso begs tourists to return (Mar '08) Jul 15 Eli reyes 166
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994
Motorcycle accident, on Saturday at 1:48 pm @mi... Feb '16 SRS 1
I-45 Buffalo, Texas Car Accident (Jun '11) Feb '16 johnnie 14
bi curious (Jan '16) Jan '16 testi1 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Texas (Dis... (Oct '10) Oct '15 anon 18

Centerville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Centerville Mortgages