Amendment would allow recall of school boards

Apr 2, 2013 Read more: El Paso Times

In the face of spreading El Paso County school scandals, state Rep. Marisa Marquez on Monday introduced legislation that would allow Texas voters to decide whether they want the ability to recall school trustees.

Read more
JWRussell USNR

El Paso, TX

#1 Apr 2, 2013
There is only one thing wrong with this bill. the percentage needs to drop to 15 percent instead of 20 percent.
Dianne Felder

El Paso, TX

#2 Apr 2, 2013
JWRussell USNR wrote:
There is only one thing wrong with this bill. the percentage needs to drop to 15 percent instead of 20 percent.
Certainly you are entitled to your opinion and that's what these public forums are for - lively debate. But if you had ever worked in food service like I do you would not be in favor of lowering the tip percentage from 20 to 15. Waitresses like me make less than minimum wage and we depend on tips to be able to support ourselves. Granted, some servers do a crummy job but when you receive good service, you should not hesitate to lay out 20% for a job well done.
JWRussell USNR

El Paso, TX

#3 Apr 2, 2013
Dianne Felder wrote:
<quoted text>
Certainly you are entitled to your opinion and that's what these public forums are for - lively debate. But if you had ever worked in food service like I do you would not be in favor of lowering the tip percentage from 20 to 15. Waitresses like me make less than minimum wage and we depend on tips to be able to support ourselves. Granted, some servers do a crummy job but when you receive good service, you should not hesitate to lay out 20% for a job well done.
Where in this whole thing did I mention Food services industry? The average tip is somewhere around 15 percent and not 20 percent according to Annie's Mail box unless there are more than seven people being served at the same table.

But you are off the subject which is recall of the boards of education which is more important at this time. The City of El Paso has a recall of less than 10 percent per the last election of the person being recalled and not the entire election.
Lori Dunn

El Paso, TX

#4 Apr 2, 2013
JWRussell USNR wrote:
<quoted text>Where in this whole thing did I mention Food services industry? The average tip is somewhere around 15 percent and not 20 percent according to Annie's Mail box unless there are more than seven people being served at the same table.
But you are off the subject which is recall of the boards of education which is more important at this time. The City of El Paso has a recall of less than 10 percent per the last election of the person being recalled and not the entire election.
Actually, I think she's right. I waitressed when I was in college and you make minimum wage. When people don't tip or under-tip it makes things really hard. Some end up working for less than minimum wage when people stiff them so I urge everyone to give 20% unless the server is incompetent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Centerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Sat fart 794
I am looking for my family albums please Sat Renee 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Sat Fart Smoke 633
why is leon county dry (Jul '13) Apr 14 Drinker 2
News Happy Birthday, Samuel Lightnin' Hopkins, Pione... Mar '15 urfart 4
News Islam in America: Tribunal Leadership faces pot... Feb '15 Mikey 4
News Speaker at El Paso pro-Israel rally compares Pa... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Que 2
More from around the web

Centerville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]