Hickman County Commissioner Is Convic...

Hickman County Commissioner Is Convicted Felon - NewsChannel5.com |...

There are 22 comments on the NewsChannel5.com Nashville story from Jul 12, 2010, titled Hickman County Commissioner Is Convicted Felon - NewsChannel5.com |.... In it, NewsChannel5.com Nashville reports that:

A felony conviction of a Hickman County Commissioner is generating some renewed interest nearly 30 years later.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsChannel5.com Nashville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Shane Sanders

United States

#1 Jul 13, 2010
It is amazing how something like this can slip right through the cracks. A background check could have resolved everything from day one. Don't get me wrong, i think what the guy is doing is amazing, and it really shows that if you work hard it doesn't matter what your history is you can still make your future a good one. I work for a company called www.integrascan.com and we conduct background checks everyday on people who seem to be just another Joe. You would be suprised how many things we uncover that would blow your mind so something like this doesn't shock me at all.

Thank you
shane sanders
integrascan.com
[email protected]
Linda

Nashville, TN

#2 Jul 13, 2010
He is just the tip of the iceberg of corruption in Hickman County and Centerville , this county really needs to be investigated . Also there should be a limit on how many years you can hold an office .
Concerned

Rhodes, IA

#3 Jul 13, 2010
"I guess everyone accepted it, and nobody brought up the issue until this time," Hassell said. "I was told by the (county) election commission I didn't really have to (take care of the criminal record), that I was OK."

Election Comission or Election Committee?

What election committee would state that if it's a state law?
Sounds like the election committee should be chatted with if that statement is in fact!

Dictionary defines as:
comĚmitĚtee
1.group chosen to do task: a group of people appointed or chosen to perform a function on behalf of a larger group
2.somebody entrusted with something

Charlie Rich had a song out long ago.
"No One Knows What Goes On Behind closed Doors!"
howitworks

United States

#4 Jul 15, 2010
This is how EVERYTHING is handled here. This county works in the "good ole boy" system.. You scratch their back and they' scratch yours, if not, your screwed..
tim

Chicago, IL

#5 Jul 15, 2010
Are you kidding me? Hassell is the least "felonious" hickman countian in government or law enforcement. Check the backgrounds and previous complaints of sherriffs deputies and the rest of the lot. TBI needs to do a deep dive into ALL their backgrounds
EGS

San Bernardino, CA

#6 Jul 15, 2010
What else is new in the State of TN. The good ole boy network is alive and well, and justice is non-existent
DISGUSTED

Pompano Beach, FL

#7 Jul 17, 2010
Well lets see the Mayor had a secretary who stole money we have the sherriffs deputies who are corrupt, we have the County Clerk who allegedly took money and is under investigation, we have commissioner who has been convicted of selling drugs another who is a convicted moonshiner both whose rights were reinstated at the same time by the same judge. We had an industrial board who would not return 500,000 some odd dollars to the county the commission had to take em to court to fire them for the 2nd time and to retrieve the money. Folks this is only the tip of the iceburg.
ronald

United States

#8 Jul 18, 2010
dont criticize the hickman county moonshiners. hickman county once was famious all over the south for its moonshine. a lot of prominent hickman county families got thier start by making moonshine.
i understand that it is still made in limited quantities by some of the old timers just for friends and families.
concerned

Nashville, TN

#9 Jul 18, 2010
reply to ronald: don't critize when someone breaks the law? Must be spoken by a true Hickmanite citizen. It's illegal to make moonshine even for family or friends or self consumption.
Jan

Calhoun, LA

#10 Jul 19, 2010
James Hassell is one of the hardest working commissioners we have in Hickman County.
All of this is political theatre trying to remove him from office.
He is from my district and he will have 2 votes from this household.
dale

Calhoun, LA

#11 Jul 20, 2010
DISGUSTED wrote:
Well lets see the Mayor had a secretary who stole money we have the sherriffs deputies who are corrupt, we have the County Clerk who allegedly took money and is under investigation, we have commissioner who has been convicted of selling drugs another who is a convicted moonshiner both whose rights were reinstated at the same time by the same judge. We had an industrial board who would not return 500,000 some odd dollars to the county the commission had to take em to court to fire them for the 2nd time and to retrieve the money. Folks this is only the tip of the iceburg.
When you say Sheriff's Deputies you need to name them because they are not ALL corrupt. The one's that got into some trouble were removed promptly by the Sheriff.
MikeC

Brentwood, TN

#12 Jul 20, 2010
If everyone that moonshined in Hickman County were put in jail or had family that did, there wouldn't be enough people left to have an election!! Good luck James, I'll vote for you.
Jim K

Nashville, TN

#13 Jul 20, 2010
I guess they call it "Hickman" County for good reason...
Igmo

Nashville, TN

#14 Jul 22, 2010
Go ahead and vote for him, it's your right. But don't think for a minute that he protecting your tax dollars: remember the school property sold to the school that he transferred to his son and his son transferred to his live in girlfriend that sold it to the school in a matter of weeks. The State auditors found the law was broken because of indirect conflict of interest laws. And this was not the first or second incident of the conflict of interest laws he has been engaged in since taking office.
bostonbee

Johnson City, TN

#15 Aug 1, 2010
Not all were removed from office... Tell me why you have guards at the jail who have sex with inmates a nurse who steals meds but they come up missing.. her husband was an emt but removed for this same reason. It is old school but until people step up and change this process nothing will be done. If you did not grow up in Hickman County then you voice is not heard those are the people who need to step up and change the gov.. I moved from there because trying to change things just was a pain in the ass I was trying to do things for youth and its old school youth mean nothing to them.. Hickman County step up and change your gov.

Since: Jul 10

United States

#16 Aug 2, 2010
tim wrote:
Are you kidding me? Hassell is the least "felonious" hickman countian in government or law enforcement. Check the backgrounds and previous complaints of sherriffs deputies and the rest of the lot. TBI needs to do a deep dive into ALL their backgrounds
If it's that bad you might consider FBI.
Sounds as though background checks for all politicians to include Mayor, Commissioners, All County & City Elected Officials, Deputies & ALL OTHERS than are stating it is & or was an open public meeting & wasn't property posted!
Sounding more like the old McNairy County in the movie, "Walking Tall!"

Since: Jul 10

United States

#17 Aug 2, 2010
MikeC wrote:
If everyone that moonshined in Hickman County were put in jail or had family that did, there wouldn't be enough people left to have an election!! Good luck James, I'll vote for you.
lol.. good answer ... NOT!
I've heard some folks in Pulaski still makes it also but that doesn't make right!
Some of that shine will kill you one day, it's extremely dangerous!
You don't believe it?
Take a wild guess just why the law outlawed shine?
The law is the law for all!
Home made shine for family or not it's still illegal... bottom line!
Meth is home made also but still is against the law!
While you'll drinking your shine why not go on & do a little meth too, you're brain will fry then so sure!
Until people wake up & vote these people out of office your political system will never change for your better living life styles!
Betty

Antioch, TN

#19 Sep 1, 2010
The same things are happening where ever you may go.
Who are the sheriff deputies who are corrupt? Don't label them all as corrupt because I'm sure you know nothing of what you are talking about. A lot of those men and women are great people. The select bad apples are getting theirs now and Ward has been cleaning house. Unfortunately, you can't just fire someone because of hear say. You must have definite proof. Before you go bad mouthing good men/women, get your facts straight and present them!
DISGUSTED wrote:
Well lets see the Mayor had a secretary who stole money we have the sherriffs deputies who are corrupt, we have the County Clerk who allegedly took money and is under investigation, we have commissioner who has been convicted of selling drugs another who is a convicted moonshiner both whose rights were reinstated at the same time by the same judge. We had an industrial board who would not return 500,000 some odd dollars to the county the commission had to take em to court to fire them for the 2nd time and to retrieve the money. Folks this is only the tip of the iceburg.
rtd

Calhoun, LA

#20 Oct 14, 2010
Commissioner Crybabys files are sealed.3 reasons why the feds do that,u r in witness protection,(2)your indicatments were sealed by the grand jury(his wasn't),(3)u r working for the feds.He got out early on his last conviction,11months instead of 12years.
hickman girl

Russellville, AR

#21 Jul 16, 2011
ronald wrote:
dont criticize the hickman county moonshiners. hickman county once was famious all over the south for its moonshine. a lot of prominent hickman county families got thier start by making moonshine.
i understand that it is still made in limited quantities by some of the old timers just for friends and families.
Amen Ronald! My grandfather was a moonshiner and everytime I'm out of state and someone ask me where I'm from I say Hickman county. There response is bring me some famous moonshine. It made my family. Just saying you haters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Centerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Jesus Christ is the only way.. 12 min Elijah 54
earting bhole 18 min back door romeo 1
secret confessions (Feb '17) 1 hr Taylor Swift 127
Taking a Knee 1 hr BlueandOrangeCrush 33
Rishard Matthews 1 hr BlueandOrangeCrush 3
Corker for Prez 1 hr wheee 22
Teen Shot on her Porch 2 hr omg 19

Centerville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Centerville Mortgages